PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Debate

irishjayhawk
06-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry if a repost, but here's Jon Stewart's Video Game Debate reel:

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=70892

This is what worries me about America and her future. And how that Republican from Penn. still has a job, is beyond me.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Don't be fooled into thinking this a partisan issue.

Conservatives want to limit your freedom to protect you from yourself. They'll call you amoral, they'll say you're a sinner.

The liberals on the other side want to limit your freedom to protect everyone else from you. They'll say it's "for the children" or to "protect the environment".

In the end, all they both want is TOTAL CONTROL.

Forget not that Dee Snider and Frank Zappa testified before congress in the 1980's about the evils of music. Who spearheaded the anti-metal campaign? Tipper Gore.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Jon Stewart is just so ****ing genious:

"And as I stand there watching my children playing these violent video games, helpless to do anything about it..."

ROFL

BIG_DADDY
06-23-2006, 11:25 AM

Conservatives want to limit your freedom to protect you from yourself. They'll call you amoral, they'll say you're a sinner.

The liberals on the other side want to limit your freedom to protect everyone else from you. They'll say it's "for the children" or to "protect the environment".

Forget not that Dee Snider and Frank Zappa testified before congress in the 1980's about the evils of music. Who spearheaded the anti-metal campaign? Tipper Gore.

"Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. It is a force, like fire: a
dangerous servant and a terrible master".
-George Washington

MOhillbilly
06-23-2006, 12:00 PM

yeah the PMRC was a goodtime.

Pitt Gorilla
06-23-2006, 12:33 PM

Forget not that Dee Snider and Frank Zappa testified before congress in the 1980's about the evils of music. Who spearheaded the anti-metal campaign? Tipper Gore.It was fun watching Dee own that panel.

irishjayhawk
06-23-2006, 12:49 PM

I don't think it's a partisan issue at all. My reference to Republican was because I forgot his name. If he was democrat, I'd be saying the same thing.

Regardless, I've never seen a Government so out of touch with it's electors than the previous years and increasingly so this year.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
It was fun watching Dee own that panel.

Yep.

Those idiots thought they were going to be talking to some drugged out rockers. They had no idea what was coming. Dee is smart but Frank Zappa was even smarter.

MOhillbilly
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Yep.

Those idiots thought they were going to be talking to some drugged out rockers. They had no idea what was coming. Dee is smart but Frank Zappa was even smarter.

the PMRC did more to sell metal LPs that the marketing dept. at record companies ever could.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 02:09 PM
the PMRC did more to sell metal LPs that the marketing dept. at record companies ever could.

Poetic justice. :D

Loki
06-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Sorry if a repost, but here's Jon Stewart's Video Game Debate reel:

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=70892

This is what worries me about America and her future. And how that Republican from Penn. still has a job, is beyond me.

jon stewart. funny stuff.

congress - gettin' important work DONE. our tax dollars well spent.

Mr. Laz
06-25-2006, 11:24 AM

In the end, all they both want is TOTAL CONTROL..
True dat

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Yep.

I remember John Denver having an affect on the panel that was pretty dramatic, too.

KC Jones
06-26-2006, 07:10 AM
jon stewart. funny stuff.

congress - gettin' important work DONE. our tax dollars well spent.

My favorite comment was his closing...

"Seriously, the house of representatives is filled with insane jack-asses."

ROFL

true dat, true dat.

memyselfI
06-26-2006, 07:18 AM

Also do not forget that Tipper Gore was NOT calling for a ban on music but identification of music that would be considered obsene. I didn't support her motivation (she was sponsored by the religious right) but considering where the rap and hip hop genre have landed, she had tremendous foresight.

Also do not forget that Zappa's family AND Snyder ended up publicly and financially supporting Gore in 2000. And that Zappa and Tipper Gore became friends before his death.

htismaqe
06-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Also do not forget that Tipper Gore was NOT calling for a ban on music but identification of music that would be considered obsene. I didn't support her motivation (she was sponsored by the religious right) but considering where the rap and hip hop genre have landed, she had tremendous foresight.

Also do not forget that Zappa's family AND Snyder ended up publicly and financially supporting Gore in 2000. And that Zappa and Tipper Gore became friends before his death.

I don't care what she was calling for.

I was just pointing out that it's not only the Republicans that are swayed by the religious right when one is sustaining a political agenda.

Logical
06-26-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't care what she was calling for.

I was just pointing out that it's not only the Republicans that are swayed by the religious right when one is sustaining a political agenda.A valid observation, though the predominance is on the right for influence peddling by religion.

Logical
06-26-2006, 08:32 AM

OK now I see your complete point, well stated.