PDA

View Full Version : Why is Carolina the SuperBowl favorite?

vailpass
06-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Every one of these predictions has Carolina going to the SB. What is it I don't know about the Panthers?

Notes: Preseason mags pick Panthers to win Super Bowl; Fiedler ponders Bucs
Updated 6/22/2006 10:51 PM ET
By Skip Wood, USA TODAY
One would think the Carolina Panthers would be flattered about the raves they're receiving from five of the more established NFL preseason magazines that already have their picks in place.
After all, all five have the Panthers reaching the Super Bowl, and three have them winning it.

But based on last season's Roman numeral picks from the Big Five, perhaps Carolina should be wary.

Not one publication correctly predicted the Pittsburgh Steelers would beat the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. For that matter, the Steelers were shut out while the Seahawks gained but one nod, albeit in a losing cause.

Last summer, Athlon had the Baltimore Ravens beating the Philadelphia Eagles; Lindy's, the Kansas City Chiefs beating the St. Louis Rams; Pro Football Weekly, the Indianapolis Colts beating the Eagles; Sporting News, the Denver Broncos defeating the Seattle Seahawks; Street & Smith's, the Eagles beating the Colts.

This time Carolina squarely is on their mind — and the defending Super Bowl champions are getting the back of their hand. Just one magazine picked the Steelers to return to the Super Bowl.

So which teams do they think will be meeting in Miami?

The envelope, please.

Athlon: Indianapolis defeats Carolina. Lindy's: Carolina defeats Denver. ProFootball Weekly: Carolina defeats Indianapolis. Sporting News: Pittsburgh defeats Carolina. Street & Smith's: Carolina defeats Denver.

Division winners:

•Athlon— NFC East (Dallas Cowboys), NFC North (Chicago Bears), NFC South (Panthers), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (New England Patriots), AFC North (Steelers), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Broncos).

•Lindy's— NFC East (Eagles), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Panthers), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (New England Patriots), AFC North (Steelers), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Broncos).

•Pro Football Weekly— NFC East (Washing-ton Redskins), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Panthers), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (Patriots), AFC North (Steelers), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Broncos).

•Sporting News— NFC East (Cowboys), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Panthers), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (Patriots), AFC North (Steelers), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Broncos).

•Street & Smith's— NFC East (Cowboys), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Panthers), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (Patriots), AFC North (Steelers), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Broncos).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-06-22-notes_x.htm

StcChief
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
They would have to be high on everyone's list...

But you don't know at this point.

CoMoChief
06-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Granted players can stay healthy on their offense, Carolina can and will make it to the postseason. Steve Smith and KJ are a great 1-2 WR combo and they have a good up and coming RB in Foster if he can stay healthy. Their defense will still be a major force. I have them coming out of the shitty NFC in the SB as well.

MOhillbilly
06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
i dont know why anyone even buys those mags anymore.

Cochise
06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Seattle's never looked dominant in the playoffs. I would pick Carolina too. if it weren't for their slow start last year they would have been hosting the NFC championship.

sedated
06-23-2006, 12:32 PM
everyone picked the donks in the West.

shocking, truly shocking.

Cochise
06-23-2006, 12:33 PM
they have a good up and coming RB in Foster if he can stay healthy.

Deshaun Foster is an up and comer? He's a 5th year player who's never started more than a handful of games in his career. On top of that he's as fragile as could be.

Obviously the team doesn't share your opinion about Foster since they took a running back in the first round of the draft.

Count Alex's Losses
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Carolina was destroyed by injuries last year if I'm not mistaken. They're an experienced team that's been to the Super Bowl before.

StcChief
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM

Ok pressure is on, time again to put 'Jake the Fake' in a position to fail.
Donxs aren't going to win west as easy as they all think,just because they were there last year at the end.

Count Alex's Losses
06-23-2006, 12:37 PM

No team in the AFC West has won back-to-back division championships since 2002. I don't know if that means anything but the Raiders are due. Since they suck, it's our turn to win it again. :D

vailpass

Unless a team improves/declines in an obvious and substantial manner the pre-season favorite to win any division is almost always the defending champ.

MOhillbilly
Ok pressure is on, time again to put 'Jake the Fake' in a position to fail.
Donxs aren't going to win west as easy as they all think,just because they were there last year at the end.

the broncos are gonna win it all this year.

vailpass
06-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Granted players can stay healthy on their offense, Carolina can and will make it to the postseason. Steve Smith and KJ are a great 1-2 WR combo and they have a good up and coming RB in Foster if he can stay healthy. Their defense will still be a major force. I have them coming out of the shitty NFC in the SB as well.

Foster is kind of fragile. You are right, their WR combo is top shelf as is their D.
What really makes sense to me is when you point out that all Carolina has to do to get to the SB is win the NFC.
Yeah, maybe this is the Panther's year.

Over-Head
06-23-2006, 12:42 PM
No team in the AFC West has won back-to-back division championships since 2002. I don't know if that means anything but the Raiders are due. :D
But that burns some KC azz don't it ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
06-23-2006, 12:43 PM

Not really, because your team won't sniff the division this year.

KCTitus
06-23-2006, 12:44 PM

not really...it's going to take more than 4 wins to win the AFCW and I dont see Oakland getting over that hump in 06.

NJ Chief Fan
06-23-2006, 12:53 PM
carolina is a great team when healthy

BucEyedPea
06-23-2006, 01:11 PM

KJ's also a cancer that just may infect their lockeroom!
Beware! KJ's not s team player.

I think the NFCS will be a dogfight between Bucs and Panthers...but I think Panther's may still make it to the postseason. I don't think they'll win the SB but I don't really believe in predictions, especially this soon. My intuition ( psychic power) is picking up that there will be some unexpected surprises next season.

Carolina has a tough gritty defense though.

chagrin
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Carolina is the best team in that division, period - even without a running game worth a crap they made it to the conference championship game.

They are the most complete team, all they need is one healthy RB - that's it and there really isn't a comparison, until Gruden gets the lethargic Offense of his, off its ass.

BucEyedPea
06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
... until Gruden gets the lethargic Offense of his, off its ass.
Bhwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

"You ain't seen nuthin' yet!"

I think the O will be a surprise this year with maybe it's first O-line improvement.

chagrin
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Bhwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

"You ain't seen nuthin' yet!"

I think the O will be a surprise this year with maybe it's first O-line improvement.

Well, you're right, I haven't seen anything from them yet. I like Chris Simms as their QB though, and I am rooting for them in that division, but it's very hard to not see that Carolina is the better team.

HemiEd
06-23-2006, 01:24 PM
East Coast bias.

Bootlegged
06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
You can't stop Carolina.

Stanley Cup - winner
Super Bowl - winner
College World Series - winner
NBA - Michael Jordan = winner (i know)
Nascar HOF - winner
College Hoops - winner

It just goes with the territory.

BucEyedPea
06-23-2006, 01:34 PM
East Coast bias.

I used to hear MidWest bias down here, especially in 2002.
Where I agree with ya' though is that Carolina has been a bit of a media darling (just not as much as Indy) even the year they went up against a very injured Patriots in the SB when many in the media favored them in that game. I think they were overated,or the Pat's were underrated.

chagrin,
I'm was pleasantly with Simms last season taking over for Griese. However, I'm uneasy about losing Griese for a backup and McCown was Simms primary competition. Unfortunately, McCown went down doing cut drills with a ACL knee injury. I don't see Rattay as a Gruden kinda QB! Don't even know if he's ready. At least we kept our core defense which is a good thing as it was #1 last year edging out the Bears in the last weeks of the season. I think this will be the last season for this defense to be kept together.

But if you wanna live in Orlando you better root for the Bucs in this division if ya' know what's good for yaa'. :p ROFL

HemiEd
06-23-2006, 02:11 PM
I used to hear MidWest bias down here, especially in 2002.
Where I agree with ya' though is that Carolina has been a bit of a media darling (just not as much as Indy) even the year they went up against a very injured Patriots in the SB when many in the media favored them in that game. I think they were overated,or the Pat's were underrated.

Do you have Sirius radio and the NFL channel? The Giants, Carolina, Philly, Atlanta, New England and Baltimore seem to dominate the discussion.
Jerry (over exposed) Rice has been able to get San Francisco and Dallas worked into the mix some.
But, at least they are talking NFL Football.

tyton75
06-23-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't know why everyone is overlooking Seattle. I agree that Carolina looks very tough; but Seattle has a good core and Shaun freaking Alexander... in a Weak division.. I can't imagine they aren't a consideration

chagrin
06-23-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't know why everyone is overlooking Seattle... I can't imagine they aren't a consideration

They need more cowbell!

BucEyedPea
06-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Whatsamatta chagrin?
No more comments...my fellow, even if a closet, Buc fan? :D

Joe Seahawk
06-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Seattle's never looked dominant in the playoffs. I would pick Carolina too. if it weren't for their slow start last year they would have been hosting the NFC championship.

http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20060122_CAR@SEA

34-14 is pretty dominant if you ask me.. (But I'm biased) :)

BucEyedPea
06-23-2006, 03:05 PM
http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20060122_CAR@SEA

34-14 is pretty dominant if you ask me.. (But I'm biased) :)

In which case I'd be biased too. I rooted for Seattle this past season and if they face Carolina...well I just can't have Carolina win...I can't stand some of their fans. :mad:

Inspector
06-23-2006, 03:07 PM

Glad to hear this.

I prefer everyone ignoring the Chiefs.

CupidStunt
06-23-2006, 03:12 PM
They were one of the last 4 teams standing in 2005, they were very unlucky with injuries then and they've only added more talent since.

Anyone who'd argue they shouldn't be one of the two or three favorites is more of a fool than those who argue they should be.

The only two who should draw strong consideration above them are Pittsburgh and Seattle, and i'd have no problem with putting either of them above Carolina. I'd also have no problem with putting Carolina above 'em both.

chagrin
06-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Whatsamatta chagrin?
No more comments...my fellow, even if a closet, Buc fan? :D

What does that jibberish even mean? Are you already hammered?

chagrin
06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
In which case I'd be biased too. I rooted for Seattle this past season and if they face Carolina...well I just can't have Carolina win...I can't stand some of their fans. :mad:

I agree, they don't even have the common decency to supply guests with strippers and whores AT the stadium... :p

Mile High Mania
06-23-2006, 03:29 PM
The Panthers narrowly lost the SB after the 2003 season... In 2004, injuries ripped them apart, but down the stretch they still nearly won enough to win the wildcard in a weak NFC. In 2005, they went 11-5 won in the playoffs @ the Giants and @ the Bears before falling to the Seahawks in the NFC title game.

They've played in 2 of the last 3 NFC title games... despite issues with injuries.

This team has been a player the last 3 years under Fox, if they can buckle down the issues with RB they are set up for greatness in that conference. Delhomme is solid and now he has a legit #2 option behind Steve Smith, with Keary Colbert at #3.

I like the Panthers a lot this season... they've become stronger this offseason through FA and the draft.

Baconeater
06-23-2006, 04:21 PM
i dont know why anyone even buys those mags anymore.
I buy them just to have the schedules & rosters handy during the season and for future reference. Their predictions always suck.

Fish
06-23-2006, 04:32 PM
As much as they like to think of themselves as experts... The media does not play the games....

They will throw out anything and everything to get people to read their article in the offseason.... including rankings and a 07 Superbowl preview before any team has went to training camp....

And still people get all worked up when they pick "Popular Team 1" and "Popular Team 2" to go to the superbowl next season.......

cdcox
06-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Out of 16 online betting services, 14 list Seattle as the favorite from the NFC, one favors Carolina, and one has the two teams with equal odds.

SNR
06-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I could see Seattle, Dallas, or even the Giants beating Carolina in the playoffs. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

That being said, it won't happen provided the team stays healthy on offense. And it's not all about Deshaun Foster, either. Keep in mind they drafted Deangelo Williams, who should be a very impressive NFL back one of these days