PDA

View Full Version : Scientology: A subtle attempt to mock Christianity, a get rich quick scheme, or both?

jAZ
06-23-2006, 01:36 PM
With each of these little online expose's that I come across it seems that L. Ron is sitting somewhere laughing his ass off at having created the most absurd set of religious tenants and watching how millions of people follow along blindly and without question. I really think that he wanted to find a way to get rich, and simultaneously mock religious mythology by recreating a movement based upon faith using obviously absurd details.

http://www.scientology-truth.info/content/view/29/2/

StcChief
06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
this just in....The sky is blue

FringeNC
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't get the whole Scientology thing. You have to cut most religious nuts a little slack because most were indoctrinated as children. These Scientology nuts voluntarily chose this crap as adults.

It just goes to show you how stupid much of Hollywood is. Are there Scientologists outside of Hollywood? Anybody know personally a Scientologist?

ct
06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Scientology is successful in recruiting, since it starts as it's own little version of psychology. Places all contol within yourself. Then once you're hooked in, you just get used and abused.

my layman's opinion

vailpass
06-23-2006, 01:55 PM
With each of these little online expose's that I come across it seems that L. Ron is sitting somewhere laughing his ass off at having created the most absurd set of religious tenants and watching how millions of people follow along blindly and without question. I really think that he wanted to find a way to get rich, and simultaneously mock religious mythology by recreating a movement based upon faith using obviously absurd details.

I agree with what you say here and would only add that Hubbard also won a bet by creating S-tology.

Mr. Laz
06-23-2006, 01:56 PM
i'm not a scientologist ... so i couldn't tell ya.

chagrin
06-23-2006, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=jAZ]With each of these little online expose's that I come across it seems that L. Ron is sitting somewhere laughing his ass off at having created the most absurd set of religious tenants and watching how millions of people follow along blindly and without question. I really think that he wanted to find a way to get rich, and simultaneously mock religious mythology by recreating a movement based upon faith using obviously absurd details.

ROFL

Kinda like the Democrats, eh?

listopencil
06-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I agree with what you say here and would only add that Hubbard also won a bet by creating S-tology.

A bet with Robert A. Heinlein over "Dianetics" and "Stranger In A Strange Land" if the story is true. Hubbard won and RAH was disgusted.

Cochise
06-23-2006, 01:57 PM
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"

L. Ron Hubbard

vailpass
06-23-2006, 02:01 PM
A bet with Robert A. Heinlein over "Dianetics" and "Stranger In A Strange Land" if the story is true. Hubbard won and RAH was disgusted.

Yep; I can't verify the source but that is the story to which I refer.

Heinlein & Hubbard, along with Assimov and Clarke and many others, were such kick-ass Sci-Fi authors. I used to devour every one of their works when I was a kid.
It is so hard to believe that kooks like Cruise, Travolta, et al take this shit seriously. Everything about S-tology isstraight out of a pulp sci-fi story. Those guys must have never read any SF when they were young.

Miles
06-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Learn to swim.

StcChief
06-23-2006, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=jAZ]With each of these little online expose's that I come across it seems that L. Ron is sitting somewhere laughing his ass off at having created the most absurd set of religious tenants and watching how millions of people follow along blindly and without question. I really think that he wanted to find a way to get rich, and simultaneously mock religious mythology by recreating a movement based upon faith using obviously absurd details.

ROFL

Kinda like the Democrats, eh?
ROFL Pretty much nailed that one. :p

jAZ
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Yep; I can't verify the source but that is the story to which I refer.

Heinlein & Hubbard, along with Assimov and Clarke and many others, were such kick-ass Sci-Fi authors. I used to devour every one of their works when I was a kid.
It is so hard to believe that kooks like Cruise, Travolta, et al take this shit seriously. Everything about S-tology isstraight out of a pulp sci-fi story. Those guys must have never read any SF when they were young.
Insecure people will look past any absurdity if they see that faith will give them security.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
After I watched this video, my view on the subject changed completely.

http://www.piczo.com/allaboutsouthpark?g=3970152&cr=3

FringeNC
06-23-2006, 02:14 PM

I haven't heard that one...what's the story now? Heinlein was going to start the Valentine Micheal Smith religion or something?

Cochise
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
http://sf.irk.ru/www/xenuleaf.htm

listopencil
06-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I haven't heard that one...what's the story now? Heinlein was going to start the Valentine Micheal Smith religion or something?

They were goofing around, talking crap about how stupid some people are and made a bet as to who could start a religion first. RAH put out Stranger, he had it ready for a long time before he published it. His idea was a very personal religion with empowered, moral individuals. Hubbard vomited out Dianetics and won the bet.

Armyofme
06-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't get the whole Scientology thing. You have to cut most religious nuts a little slack because most were indoctrinated as children. These Scientology nuts voluntarily chose this crap as adults.

It just goes to show you how stupid much of Hollywood is. Are there Scientologists outside of Hollywood? Anybody know personally a Scientologist?

I know one. My best friends wife is one. The amount of money I have seen her sink into that stuff is staggering. She went through a good amount of "training", and now she is able to do evaluations, readings, etc. She actually became one when she still lived in Switzerland, so it's definately of a larger scope than Hollywood. Scary, I know.

PunkinDrublic
06-23-2006, 08:58 PM

I read a big expose article in Rolling Stone a couple of months ago and the town of Clearwater, Florida they said is virtually run by scientologists. If you're a celebrity, scientology is a pretty sweet deal. They hook you up with lavish vacation retreats. I think that's part of their goal with celebrities is to try and promote the religion.

Valiant
06-23-2006, 09:23 PM

Well the guy that created scientology and wrote those sci-fi books said, if you want to make a lot of money start your own religion..

Great tax shelter...