PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong admitted to doping

KingPriest2
06-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Paper: Armstrong admitted to doping
Posted: Friday June 23, 2006 2:07PM; Updated: Friday June 23, 2006 2:07PM

PARIS (AP) -- A French newspaper claimed Friday that Lance Armstrong admitted to doping three years before the first of his seven Tour de France wins in 1999.

Armstrong's attorney strongly denied the claim and gave The Associated Press a copy of an affidavit from one of the lead doctors who treated Armstrong's testicular cancer.

The Texan, retired from cycling since his seventh consecutive Tour victory last year, has consistently insisted that he never took banned drugs to enhance his performances and he was never sanctioned for any doping offense during his career.

But Le Monde said former Armstrong teammate Frankie Andreu, and his wife, Betsy, recently testified under oath to a Dallas court that Armstrong admitted in 1996 to having taken the blood-boosting hormone EPO and other banned substances. The paper said Frankie Andreu used to be best friends with Armstrong.

Le Monde claimed that Armstrong's alleged admission was made Oct. 28, 1996, to a doctor who was treating him for cancer. Betsy Andreu testified that the doctor asked Armstrong whether he had ever taken doping products, and that the cyclist replied "yes," according to Le Monde. The newspaper said she and her husband were with Armstrong on that day.

"He asks which ones. And Lance replies, 'EPO, growth hormones, cortisone, steroids, testosterone,"' it quoted her as telling the court in January. The newspaper said it obtained a copy of her testimony but did not say how.

Armstrong's attorney, Tim Herman, Texas denied the Andreus' claim, calling it "absurd."

In a sworn affidavit, Dr. Craig Nichols said he and other medical personnel visited with Armstrong that day about his medical history before he started chemotherapy.

Nichols was one of doctors treating Armstrong at Indiana University Medical Center. He is now the chair of hematology-oncology at Oregon Health and Sciences University.

"Lance Armstrong never admitted, suggested or indicated that he has ever taken performance-enhancing drugs. Had this been disclosed to me, I would have recorded it, or been aware of it, as a pertinent aspect of Lance Armstrong's past medical history as I always do," Nichols said.

"Had I been present at any such 'confession,' I would most certainly have vividly recalled the fact," Nichols said. "I would have recorded such a confession as a matter of form, as indeed, would have my colleagues. None was recorded."

The court was hearing a case brought by Armstrong against a company that withheld a bonus for his 2004 Tour win because a book alleged that he used performance-enhancers.

After hearing the evidence, including the Andreus' testimony, the three-member arbitration panel ruled against the company and ordered it to pay Armstrong.

Le Monde said that Frankie Andreu, who raced with Armstrong for the first two of his Tour wins in 1999 and 2000, gave a similar deposition last October, also alleging that Armstrong told the doctor that he used EPO, testosterone, growth hormone and cortisone.

But the newspaper said the Andreus' account was denied by a third person, Stephanie McIlvain, a friend of Armstrong's who supposedly was also at the session with the doctor. She testified that she did not hear Armstrong make such an admission, Le Monde said.

"There were probably 10 people in the room. Betsy was apparently the only one that recalls this alleged incident," Herman said.

In his own defense, Armstrong said in a November deposition to the court that no doctor had asked him whether he had used doping products, according to the newspaper. It said Armstrong also told the court that Betsy Andreu hated him and that Frankie Andreu had gone along with her account to offer her support.

Herman said he has 280 pages of medical records from Indiana University Medical Center, where Armstrong was treated for his cancer, that had spread to his brain, that refute the allegations.

Armstrong's doctors repeatedly asked him during his treatment about substances he may have taken and Armstrong answered only that he occasionally drank beer, Herman said.

StcChief
06-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Frenchies need to get past this....
go train and win on your own.

One nut lance torched you.

morphius
06-23-2006, 02:17 PM
This is the longest it has ever taken France to throw up a white flag and give up.

alpha_omega
06-23-2006, 02:25 PM
A French newspaper claimed...

That just about tells the whole story.

KCTitus
06-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Holy Mackerel...Armstrong pwns the Tour De France and it's caused swelling of the labe all across France.

Donger
06-23-2006, 02:29 PM
So much for being a domestique.

It'll be interesting to see what Frankie has to say about this.

pr_capone
06-23-2006, 02:30 PM
This is the longest it has ever taken France to throw up a white flag and give up.
ROFL

mikey23545
06-23-2006, 03:05 PM
How does any French woman ever get satisfied by one of these Continental, limp-dicked, pole-polishers?

morphius
06-23-2006, 03:08 PM
How does any French woman ever get satisfied by one of these Continental, limp-dicked, pole-polishers?
Her bicycle?

Or do they just get high off of their smell?

FAX
06-23-2006, 03:11 PM
That does it. From now on it's "Freedom Tickler".

FAX

John_Wayne
06-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Lance should come out of retirement, race again and WIN again just to throw it in their face. Stinkin' FROG bastards!

bogie
06-23-2006, 04:01 PM
"Betsy Andreu hated him"... hell hath no furry...

Bwana
06-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Frenchies :shake:

What a useless bunch of shitbags.

beavis
06-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Nice thread title, KingParis2.

Phobia
06-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Andreu
Andro
Coincidence?

I think not.

SPchief
06-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Stupid ****ing frogs

Adept Havelock
06-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, Le Monde says he has.

His doctor says otherwise.

I'm going with the latter.

Parlez Vous Sore Loser?

BucEyedPea
06-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Well, Le Monde says he has.

His doctor says otherwise.

I'm going with the latter.

Parlez Vous Sore Loser?

Non, je ne parle pas "sore loser."
:p

KingPriest2
06-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Lance: 'Stale, unfounded, untrue'
Seven-time Tour winner angrily denies doping report
Posted: Friday June 23, 2006 2:07PM; Updated: Friday June 23, 2006 5:44PM

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Lance Armstrong angrily denied the latest allegation that he used performance-enhancing drugs, dismissing the claims of a former teammate's wife that he admitted it a few days after brain surgery in 1996.

In a two-page denial released Friday, the seven-time Tour de France champion called the allegations reported in Le Monde, France's most prestigious newspaper, "stale, unfounded and untrue."

The newspaper reported Friday it received a copy of Betsy Andreu's sworn statements before an arbitration panel in January. She claimed Armstrong told a doctor he had used the blood-boosting hormone EPO and other drugs.

At the time, Armstrong was in the hospital recovering from surgery to remove testicular cancer had spread to his brain.

Andreu's husband, Frankie Andreu, rode with Armstrong on his winning Tours in 1999 and 2000 before leaving Armstrong's team.

Armstrong won the Tour de France from 1999-2005 and retired last year.

Betsy Andreu's testimony came in a legal dispute over whether Armstrong was owed a $5 million bonus for winning in 2004. The company under contract to pay had withheld the cash under allegations Armstrong cheated.

The case was moved to binding arbitration. After three weeks of testimony, the three-member panel ruled against the company and awarded Armstrong $7.5 million.

"It's over. We won. They lost," Armstrong said. "I was yet again completely vindicated."

Betsy and Frankie Andreu did not immediately return telephone messages left at their home in Michigan, with the Toyota-United Pro Cycling team where he is the team director, and the Outdoor Life Network, where he has worked as a commentator.

According to Le Monde, Betsy Andreu said Armstrong's alleged admission came on Oct. 28, 1996, three days after his brain surgery.

She said she was in Armstrong's hospital room when the doctor asked if he had ever taken doping products. She said Armstrong replied "yes."

"He asks which ones. And Lance replies, 'EPO, growth hormones, cortisone, steroids, testosterone,"' Andreu was quoted as saying.

To refute her claim, Armstrong's attorney, Tim Herman, released to The Associated Press a sworn statement from Dr. Craig Nichols, who administered Armstrong's chemotherapy at Indiana University Medical Center. Nichols is now the chair of hematology-oncology at Oregon Health and Sciences University.

In a statement submitted during arbitration, Nichols said that in multiple doctor-patient interviews, Armstrong never admitted taking performance-enhancing drugs.

Nichols said he began Armstrong's chemotherapy that same day as the alleged admission. He said other medical personnel had talked with Armstrong about his medical history.

"Lance Armstrong never admitted, suggested or indicated that he has ever taken performance-enhancing drugs. Had this been disclosed to me, I would have recorded it, or been aware of it, as a pertinent aspect of Lance Armstrong's past medical history as I always do," Nichols said.

"Had I been present at any such 'confession,' I would most certainly have vividly recalled the fact," Nichols said. "I would have recorded such a confession as a matter of form, as indeed, would have my colleagues. None was recorded."

In cross examination transcripts released by Armstrong's lawyer, Betsy Andreu could not identify the doctor she said Armstrong spoke to, but said it was not Nichols or either of Armstrong's other primary physicians.

Nichols' affidavit said it was unlikely he would not have been at the meeting she described.

"Though I was not Lance Armstrong's sole physician, I was responsible for the majority of his treatment and would have been present at every large meeting where discussions took place or decisions were made," Nichols said.

Nichols was traveling Friday and not immediately available for comment, his office said.

Le Monde reported that Frankie Andreu gave sworn testimony in October with the same allegations as his wife.

But the newspaper reported the Andreus' account was denied by a third person, Stephanie McIlvain, a friend of Armstrong's who was also at the session with the doctor.

She testified that she did not hear Armstrong make such an admission.

"There were probably 10 people in the room. Betsy was apparently the only one that recalls this alleged incident," said Herman, Armstrong's attorney.

Armstrong's statement said part of his cancer treatments included steroids and EPO.

Armstrong's doctors repeatedly asked him during his treatment about substances he may have taken and Armstrong answered only that he occasionally drank beer, Herman said.

All witness testimony in the arbitration case was supposed to be kept confidential. Armstrong said his legal team is trying to find out who leaked documents to the newspaper and is considering legal action.

noa
06-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah, if her doctor has sworn that Armstrong never said he doped, that's enough for me. I'll trust the doctor over the wife of a teammate who "overheard" the confession.

WilliamTheIrish
06-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Use links, KlownPriest.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah, if her doctor has sworn that Armstrong never said he doped, that's enough for me. I'll trust the doctor over the wife of a teammate who "overheard" the confession.

Uh, even if he did, the doctor wouldn't be able to say anything, would he? I thought that was the right to privacy and whatnot.

I don't think he did it, but I'm just saying I don't think the defending source is credible. Then again, I don't think the accusing source is either, so who cares, right?

Moooo

noa
06-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Uh, even if he did, the doctor wouldn't be able to say anything, would he? I thought that was the right to privacy and whatnot.

I don't think he did it, but I'm just saying I don't think the defending source is credible. Then again, I don't think the accusing source is either, so who cares, right?

Moooo

Yeah, I thought it would be priveleged information, too, but ESPN says the doctor has signed a sworn statement and has gone into detail about how he would have known if Armstrong told him he used performance enhancers (which is what the female witness claims). Maybe you can waive the doctor-patient privelege when its information the party (in this case Armstrong) actually wants released.

Mecca
06-23-2006, 10:03 PM
The fact that people care this much about a guy who rides a bike is pretty funny.

Donger
06-23-2006, 10:28 PM
The fact that people care this much about a guy who rides a bike is pretty funny.

What, exactly, does that mean?

Mecca
06-24-2006, 01:19 AM
What, exactly, does that mean?

He makes a living riding on a toy.........didn't his mother tell him to keep the toys in the yard?

Rausch
06-24-2006, 01:21 AM
There is nothing the frogs hate more than some American holding a mirror in front of them.

I lose sleep wondering WTF we're in the Middle East when these douchebags are the greatest roadblock to the cultural evolution of the planet...

Stinger
06-24-2006, 01:30 AM
He makes a living riding on a toy.........didn't his mother tell him to keep the toys in the yard?

And yet here we are posting on football message board where the object of that game is to throw or run a toy ball over a line. ROFL

Moooo
06-24-2006, 01:30 AM
There is nothing the frogs hate more than some American holding a mirror in front of them.

I lose sleep wondering WTF we're in the Middle East when these douchebags are the greatest roadblock to the cultural evolution of the planet...

They helped us out during the American Revolution... Its kinda like the friends you had in highschool who went on to do drugs and whatnot. Even though you don't hang out with them anymore, you're nice to them just for being there for you in the past.

Moooo

Jim Jones
06-24-2006, 01:35 AM
And yet here we are posting on football message board where the object of that game is to throw or run a toy ball over a line. ROFL

I can't believe Alex Rodriguez gets paid 252 million to hit a ball with a stick. Heck, I was doing that when I was 3!

Saulbadguy
06-24-2006, 08:43 AM