PDA

View Full Version : Futurama comming back

Miles
06-23-2006, 06:43 PM
"Futurama" Pulls a "Family Guy"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060623/en_tv_eo/19344

Comedy Central is going back to the Futurama.

Three years after the show last aired on prime time, the cable net has signed a deal to resurrect the former Fox animated series for a minimum 13-episode run.

Comedy Central will start airing the new shows in 2008.

"We are thrilled that Matt Groening and 20th Century Fox Television have decided to produce new episodes of Futurama and that Comedy Central will be the first to air them," said David Bernath, the cable net's senior VP.

The new episode order is part of a larger deal Comedy Central made with the production company last year, when they bought the syndicated rights to Futurama's 72-episode library.

"There is a deep and passionate fan base for this intelligent and very funny show that matches perfectly with our audience, and it is great that we can offer them not just the existing library but something they've never seen as well," Bernath told the Hollywood Reporter.

The offbeat show was the brainchild of The Simpsons mastermind Groening and writer David X. Cohen and debuted on Fox in March 1999. The series revolved around Fry, a pizza delivery boy who is accidentally frozen for a thousand years. When he wakes up in the year 3000, he befriends a sassy one-eyed pilot, Leela, and a cranky robot, Bender, who both work for an intergalactic delivery service run by a distant nephew of Fry's.

In August 2003, after five seasons and three Emmys, including the 2002 award for Best Animated Series, Futurama was canceled due to low ratings.

Reruns of the show, however, were picked up by Cartoon Network, and just like cable home did with Family Guy before it, the move paved the way for a Futurama revival.

Both shows aired on the Cartoon Network and quickly built up unexpectedly robust ratings.

In 2004, Stewie & Co. were resuscitated by to Fox thanks to staggering DVD sales--the show ranks as the fourth-biggest TV series seller ever--and its proliferation in reruns.

In January of this year, 20th Century Fox began talks with Comedy Central to revive the long-gone Futurama as well, thanks to its resurgence in popularity courtesy of its second life in reruns and high--though not Family Guy high--DVD sales.

The cable net has already re-signed voice stars Billy West,
Katey Sagal and John DiMaggio to reprise their animated roles.

In the meantime, new Futurama plots can already be had in comic book form, with Groening's Bongo Comics releasing the stories.

Hydrae
06-23-2006, 06:44 PM
:thumb:

Demonpenz
06-23-2006, 06:44 PM
good man. not many of my friends like futurama but i love it. the show has no boundries they can do what they want.

sedated
06-23-2006, 06:56 PM
yet another example of Fox f*cking up a great show

TrickyNicky
06-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Leela: Someone should teach you a lesson.

Captain Zapp Brannigan: Well, if it's a lesson in love, watch out. I suffer from a very sexy learning disability. What do I call it, Kif?

Kif Kroker: Ugh..."Sexlexia".

Man I am so stoked.

sedated
06-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Zoidburg might be the most under-rated character ever

the Talking Can
06-23-2006, 07:18 PM
awesome...better cartoon than the simpsons, smarter and funnier....

the Talking Can
06-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Leela: Someone should teach you a lesson.

Captain Zapp Brannigan: Well, if it's a lesson in love, watch out. I suffer from a very sexy learning disability. What do I call it, Kif?

Kif Kroker: Ugh..."Sexlexia".

Man I am so stoked.

every moment of zapp brannigan is priceless....good stuff

sedated
06-23-2006, 07:37 PM
awesome...better cartoon than the simpsons, smarter and funnier....

%(/

nothing was beter than Simpsons at its peak

:harumph:

Adept Havelock
06-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Good news, funny show.

I was a fan from the first show when I realized the professor was named as a riff on a Heinlein Character.

%(/

nothing was beter than Simpsons at its peak

:harumph:

Incorrect. All in the Family was much funnier than the Simpsons, right up until Edith died. :harumph:

pr_capone
06-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Good stuff.... I LOVE Futurama!

JBucc
06-23-2006, 09:23 PM
It's ok. Nothing to get too excited about.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Zoidberg is the coolest...

Perhaps we'll see the elusive hypnotoad in these new episodes?

http://www.msu.edu/~mccannr1/

Moooo

Miles
06-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Zoidberg is the coolest...

Perhaps we'll see the elusive hypnotoad in these new episodes?

http://www.msu.edu/~mccannr1/

Moooo

That was one of my favorite random things. The brain slugs were pretty good too.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 09:32 PM
That was one of my favorite random things. The brain slugs were pretty good too.

And who can forget... thhe Space Pope?

Moooo

bishop_74
06-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I really enjoy it. Looking forward to some new episodes.