PDA

View Full Version : I ask you

Hydrae
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
So I enjoy coming to this forum and reading the opinions of people here and all that. A lot of it turns into partisan bashing from one side or the other and that has led me to try to figure out where I stand in regards to the two main political parties.

I have always considered myself an independent as I don't think I identify with either side all that well. What I am asking here is for some input from the more knowledgable people here on how I should identify my beliefs.

I was against the war before it started (the Iraq part, Afghanastan was a correct move, IMO) but I also recognize that we need to fix what we ****ed up.

I have issues with Big Business but recognize it as a part of the world we live in. This doesn't mean I think the government should be encouraging them, they should be encouraging more small business and let more "small" guys be the ones in charge.

I despise welfare in general. There are enough other forms of help available and if welfare disappeared there would be even more. We are a compassionate country in general and the poor would be taken care of. However if it was done on a more local level (via churches, the Red Cross/Salvation Army), I think we would be more aware of the issue. Currently people tend to not get involved since it being "handled" by the government.

As many already know, I am against the income tax and would love to see some form of national sales tax replace it. The 16th amendment was one of the worst things ever foisted on the public.

Let's see, what else? I am pro-choice, for much smaller government and for term limits. I am against trying to police the world, against minimum wage increases (it can stay where it is, I am not worried about repealing it) and do not see why immigration is such a big deal, the majority of us came from elsewhere.

So, am I more Rep or Dem? Or maybe Libertarian? :shrug:

Nightwish
06-24-2006, 11:59 AM
More Libertarian than the other two, I'd say.

banyon
06-24-2006, 11:59 AM
So I enjoy coming to this forum and reading the opinions of people here and all that. A lot of it turns into partisan bashing from one side or the other and that has led me to try to figure out where I stand in regards to the two main political parties.

I have always considered myself an independent as I don't think I identify with either side all that well. What I am asking here is for some input from the more knowledgable people here on how I should identify my beliefs.

I was against the war before it started (the Iraq part, Afghanastan was a correct move, IMO) but I also recognize that we need to fix what we ****ed up.

I have issues with Big Business but recognize it as a part of the world we live in. This doesn't mean I think the government should be encouraging them, they should be encouraging more small business and let more "small" guys be the ones in charge.

I despise welfare in general. There are enough other forms of help available and if welfare disappeared there would be even more. We are a compassionate country in general and the poor would be taken care of. However if it was done on a more local level (via churches, the Red Cross/Salvation Army), I think we would be more aware of the issue. Currently people tend to not get involved since it being "handled" by the government.

As many already know, I am against the income tax and would love to see some form of national sales tax replace it. The 16th amendment was one of the worst things ever foisted on the public.

Let's see, what else? I am pro-choice, for much smaller government and for term limits. I am against trying to police the world, against minimum wage increases (it can stay where it is, I am not worried about repealing it) and do not see why immigration is such a big deal, the majority of us came from elsewhere.

So, am I more Rep or Dem? Or maybe Libertarian? :shrug:

Except for your desire to regulate Big Business to help small business, you are a libertarian on almost all counts.

Phobia
06-24-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm almost the same as you, whatever that means.

BucEyedPea
06-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Definitely not a Democrat

Definitely not left, progressive or "liberal" ( argh! they don't deserve this label) democrat:

I would say Goldwater populist Republican or right libertarian.

You're a lot like me.

BTW libertarians are split on abortion

memyselfI
06-24-2006, 01:44 PM
How about nice person regardless of the label... :D

FAX
06-24-2006, 01:58 PM
You may be a snowman.

Try not to go outside without sunscreen, Mr. Hydrae.

FAX

Logical
06-24-2006, 06:22 PM
I view you as a moderate that is not easily categorized. I find myself to fit a similar pattern though our areas of difference are many.

WilliamTheIrish
06-24-2006, 06:54 PM
How about nice person regardless of the label... :D

I'd say that label fits...

JBucc
06-24-2006, 07:50 PM
You're a MNJ

Hydrae
06-24-2006, 08:39 PM
You're a MNJ

Middle Nut Job?

Moderate Nut Job?

Massive Nut Job?

Oh, Manly Nut Job! :)

Thanks all. I have never tried to look for a platform of a party to align with at all but with hanging out here the last couple of years I have come to realize that I need to solidify where I stand on things.

JBucc
06-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Middle Nut Job?

Moderate Nut Job?

Massive Nut Job?

Oh, Manly Nut Job! :)

Thanks all. I have never tried to look for a platform of a party to align with at all but with hanging out here the last couple of years I have come to realize that I need to solidify where I stand on things.
that one

Logical
06-24-2006, 10:04 PM
How about nice person regardless of the label... :DDEnise of all people nails it. Way to go.

Hydrae
06-24-2006, 10:10 PM
DEnise of all people nails it. Way to go.

You guys are too kind. I do try very hard to be the kind of person I would enjoy spending time with and to follow what I believe are the key tenants to the christian faith. This is also why I know that I would never survive in the political arena, I don't have it in me to be cutthroat enough.

Chiefs Minor Satellite
06-24-2006, 10:18 PM
How about an American voicing his opinion?

Rumor has it that we are all free to do so.

stevieray
06-24-2006, 10:54 PM
You guys are too kind.

I respectfully disagree.

Logical
06-25-2006, 12:49 AM
I respectfully disagree.So now you have something against Hydrae? I really don't get you sometimes.

Pitt Gorilla
06-25-2006, 01:18 AM

So, am I more Rep or Dem? Or maybe Libertarian? :shrug:I agree with almost everything you said, although I'm not really "pro-choice" and I understand the need for an income tax. I also see a need for illegal immigration to be curbed.

stevieray
06-25-2006, 10:16 AM
So now you have something against Hydrae? I really don't get you sometimes.

Jim, I'm saying that he deserved the compliment.