PDA

View Full Version : How Long Until?

FAX
06-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Here I am in my well-appointed office, working on an important project, happily munching lortab, with the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX at the lake and some Grisham movie on the tv and all I'm thinking about is Roaf not coming back.

But then, unexpectedly, suddenly, like a new hair struggling for life to emerge from Mr. Bob Dole's eyebrow, another thought entered my mind. So before I forgot it, I created this new thread which I like to call "How Long Until?"

Here's the premise. (Of course, many may disagree with the premise, but what the heck. I can't take a worse beating than I did with my Shamalamalam thread.)

1. We suck on the world stage in baseball. The Japanese kicked our ass in the WBC, for example.

2. We suck on the world stage in basketball. The Olympics pretty much proved that to everyone's satisfaction.

3. We suck on the world stage in soccer. Getting better in this category, but let's be real. We don't have a player who can create his own scoring opportunities and goes by just one name.

4. We suck on the world stage in hockey. We wouldn't even have US hockey teams if it weren't for foreign players.

How long until we suck on the world stage in American Football?

FAX

Moooo
06-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Lortab < Percocet

If you were taking Percocets you'd be posting poetry and talking about how beautiful your computer screen is...

God, that stuff rocks.

Moooo

SCChief
06-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Never. One sport they will never beat us in is American Football. Hehehehe. Afterall... the other football leagues around the world are populated by American players (IE NFL Europe).

DaKCMan AP
06-24-2006, 11:36 AM
I disagree about sucking in basketball. Yes, we were horrible the last outing. The wrong type of team, if you can call it a team, was fielded. We had a bunch of the same type of players on the team. Put together a TEAM from the NBA players (a real PG and a real PF plus some guys who can SHOOT) and we will win.

FAX
06-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Never. One sport they will never beat us in is American Football. Hehehehe. Afterall... the other football leagues around the world are populated by American players (IE NFL Europe).

I hope you're right, Mr. SCChief. But, Sumo wrestlers look like hellacious DT potential to me. And the lanky, fleet of foot Nigerian runners would make great wide outs.

If you think about it, 15 years ago most sports fans would have never believed that we would have our asses handed to us in basketball.

FAX

Moooo
06-24-2006, 11:39 AM
I hope you're right, Mr. SCChief. But, Sumo wrestlers look like hellacious DT potential to me. And the lanky, fleet of foot Nigerian runners would make great wide outs.

If you think about it, 15 years ago most sports fans would have never believed that we would have our asses handed to us in basketball.

FAX

Other countries don't care about football enough. The athletes they have, are playing other sports and not training for football.

Its the same reason why only England, and British colonies will ever be good at Cricket... cause no one else cares.

Moooo

FAX
06-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I disagree about sucking in basketball. Yes, we were horrible the last outing. The wrong type of team, if you can call it a team, was fielded. We had a bunch of the same type of players on the team. Put together a TEAM from the NBA players (a real PG and a real PF plus some guys who can SHOOT) and we will win.

Good point, Mr. DaKCMan AP. But, the Europeans appeared much more fundamentally sound to me. NBA players seem to be more interested in "flash" than "fundamentals".

One could make the argument that shooting is called dunking in the NBA. It's almost like Olympic basketball and NBA basketball are completely different games.

FAX

DaKCMan AP
06-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Good point, Mr. DaKCMan AP. But, the Europeans appeared much more fundamentally sound to me. NBA players seem to be more interested in "flash" than "fundamentals".

One could make the argument that shooting is called dunking in the NBA. It's almost like Olympic basketball and NBA basketball are completely different games.

FAX

Yes, they are different styles of basketball. That is why it is important to build the right type of team. Last time we had a team made up of multiple players with the same skills. We didn't have any of the hustle-do-your-job-cleanup guys that are necessary.

It would also be nice if some of these pansies would actually play instead of declining invitations to represent the US.

Moooo
06-24-2006, 11:46 AM

This is why I hate the NBA. They don't know how to play basketball the way it was originally intended...

And I think they should also just take the best TEAM from the NBA from the year before and have them play. Then the unity would be there...

Moooo

Otter
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm sorry Mr. Fax but I didn't get past "Grisham Movie". I'm not a big fan (of Grisham, not you, I'm a big fan of Mr. Fax) but just out of curiosity which one?

ChiefaRoo
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I think the team we should send is the NBA winner or the runner up. That way you wouldn't have to worry about chemistry and meshing of the players and coaches. Then give this team the option to play less pre-season ball if they're worried about getting fatigued.

Note: Some of these teams have foreign players. They could be replaced with other elite ball players from other teams that would fill the same role without disrupting team chemistry.

FAX
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm sorry Mr. Fax but I didn't get past "Grisham Movie". I'm not a big fan (of Grisham, not you, I'm a big fan of Mr. Fax) but just out of curiosity which one?

Thanks for the compliment, Mr. Otter. I can't remember the name. But, it's the one about rigging the jury.

It has the guy on the jury who played the air traffic controller in that movie where he had an affair with the wife of the guy who played the real wierd dumbass in that movie where he killed that singer who played the creepy dad.

I have it on only because I have basic cable here and my CD player is acting up. It's the only movie I found on that had actors in it I recognized. Plus, I'm sick of watching the news. I've got to take Mr. Skip Towne's advice and get a dish on this building.

FAX

Otter
06-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Mr. Otter. I can't remember the name. But, it's the one about rigging the jury.

It has the guy on the jury who played the air traffic controller in that movie where he had an affair with the wife of the guy who played the real wierd dumbass in that movie where he killed that singer who played the creepy dad.

I have it on only because I have basic cable here and my CD player is acting up. It's the only movie I found on that had actors in it I recognized. Plus, I'm sick of watching the news. I've got to take Mr. Skip Towne's advice and get a dish on this building.

FAX

Runaway Jury

Curiosity killed the otter

FAX
06-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I think the team we should send is the NBA winner or the runner up. That way you wouldn't have to worry about chemistry and meshing of the players and coaches. Then give this team the option to play less pre-season ball if they're worried about getting fatigued.

Note: Some of these teams have foreign players. They could be replaced with other elite ball players from other teams that would fill the same role without disrupting team chemistry.

I think that's a great idea, Mr. ChiefaRoo. Makes a lot of sense.

You know, I can't help but view the NBA as primarily a bunch of thugs who consider the Olympics as extra, unwanted duty rather than an honor and opportunity to represent their country.

FAX

FAX
06-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Runaway Jury

Curiosity killed the otter

That's it! Thanks, Mr. Otter. It's really not too bad.

It has the girl who played the librarian in the mummy movie opposite the guy who played the kid the director wanted to seduce in that movie about the guy who directed Frankenstein in real life.

FAX

tk13
06-24-2006, 12:09 PM
We have shooters in America, but we didn't take any of them to the last Olympics. We had a team of slashers, and that's tough because the international game is more perimeter oriented. The 3 point line is shorter, the lane is wider, and teams can pack it in and play zone. Our basketball team had no chance.

And Japan was a good team in the WBC, but don't forget they also had the most spring training. Japanese spring training starts in February, so that team had a lot of time together. I do believe A-Rod and some others even said next time they'll know to get more work in and prepare better. Hopefully it makes a difference. Japan, Cuba, and Korea all had the most time together, and they were probably the three best teams.

Mr. Laz
06-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Here I am in my well-appointed office, working on an important project, happily munching lortab, with the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX at the lake and some Grisham movie on the tv and all I'm thinking about is Roaf not coming back.

But then, unexpectedly, suddenly, like a new hair struggling for life to emerge from Mr. Bob Dole's eyebrow, another thought entered my mind. So before I forgot it, I created this new thread which I like to call "How Long Until?"

Here's the premise. (Of course, many may disagree with the premise, but what the heck. I can't take a worse beating than I did with my Shamalamalam thread.)

1. We suck on the world stage in baseball. The Japanese kicked our ass in the WBC, for example.

2. We suck on the world stage in basketball. The Olympics pretty much proved that to everyone's satisfaction.

3. We suck on the world stage in soccer. Getting better in this category, but let's be real. We don't have a player who can create his own scoring opportunities and goes by just one name.

4. We suck on the world stage in hockey. We wouldn't even have US hockey teams if it weren't for foreign players.

How long until we suck on the world stage in American Football?

FAX
looks like you need to mix in some anti-depressants with the lortab there Mr. Fax.

Willie Roaf is coming back ..... don't sweat it.

FAX
06-24-2006, 12:51 PM
... Willie Roaf is coming back ..... don't sweat it.

From your keystrokes to God's inbox, Mr. Laz.

FAX

greg63
06-24-2006, 12:52 PM
We have shooters in America...

Hit men are expensive.

greg63
06-24-2006, 12:52 PM
From your keystrokes to God's inbox, Mr. Laz.

FAX

Yep!

DaKCMan AP
06-24-2006, 01:11 PM
We have shooters in America, but we didn't take any of them to the last Olympics. We had a team of slashers, and that's tough because the international game is more perimeter oriented. The 3 point line is shorter, the lane is wider, and teams can pack it in and play zone. Our basketball team had no chance.

Exactly.

FAX
06-24-2006, 01:16 PM
I predict that in 20 years (maybe 15) the Euros and Far Easterners will be making great strides in American Football. The NFL is both expanding the network and promoting the game internationally (evidenced by the game in Mexico City last year). As this continues, the overseas popularity of the game will increase. Also, foreign companies will realize that money can be made from American Football. Then, the genie will be out of the bottle.

I envision Jacques Morlet throwing touchdowns to Étienne Pétain for the Paris LaFittes in the SB. They will be kind of like Metrosexual Faiders.

FAX

DaKCMan AP
06-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I predict that in 20 years (maybe 15) the Euros and Far Easterners will be making great strides in American Football. The NFL is both expanding the network and promoting the game internationally (evidenced by the game in Mexico City last year). As this continues, the overseas popularity of the game will increase. Also, foreign companies will realize that money can be made from American Football. Then, the genie will be out of the bottle.

I envision Jacques Morlet throwing touchdowns to Étienne Pétain for the Paris LaFittes in the SB. They will be kind of like Metrosexual Faiders.

FAX

It would take a looooooooooooooooooooong time for them to catchup. They don't have any system ingrained at all. We start kids at age 7 or 8 in the optimist clubs through middle school, then high school football and then the college system. By the time a kid makes it to the NFL (generally) they've been playing football for 15 years already.

Of the few foreign players who make it to the NFL (Okoye, Hali, and then kickers) most haven't even played football until they got to high school or college in the US.

KcMizzou
06-24-2006, 01:24 PM

FAXI'll bet Rausch would be a big fan of that.

milkman
06-24-2006, 01:32 PM

FAX

Won't happen.

The first time someone threw a bomb, they'd surrender.

big nasty kcnut
06-24-2006, 01:38 PM
True milkman. Also europe think american football is savage while soccer is poetry.

FAX
06-24-2006, 01:44 PM
True milkman. Also europe think american football is savage while soccer is poetry.

Good point there, Mr. kcnut. We have to take into account cultural issues.

My theory is that, one of the reasons American Football is so popular here (aside from the violence, tribalism, and admirable skills) is the huddle. In the huddle, you make a plan. Then, you execute the plan. Either the plan works or it doesn't. If the plan works, great. First down. If the plan doesn't work, go back and make another plan. That is akin to pure capitalism. We like that.

The Euros would have to be able to play without a huddle or play calling of any kind. No planning. Just random sh*t that would be hard for our guys to figure out, let alone defend. Could be dangerous.

FAX

ChiefsCountry
06-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Also have to remember we didnt even send alot of our best players to the last Olympics. A few of the really good players pussed out. Put this team out there and we would win easy.

PG - Jason Kidd, Allen Iverson
SG - Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade
SF - LeBron James, Bruce Bowen
PF - Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand, Amare Stoudemire
C - Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan

*Need one more player, a sharpshooter off the bench is the one I cant think of right now.

Moooo
06-24-2006, 01:57 PM
*Need one more player, a sharpshooter off the bench is the one I cant think of right now.

Ray Allen gets the nod, IMO.

And Iverson on the bench... huh. Not saying its wrong, just interesting.

Moooo

go bowe
06-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Good point there, Mr. kcnut. We have to take into account cultural issues.

My theory is that, one of the reasons American Football is so popular here (aside from the violence, tribalism, and admirable skills) is the huddle. In the huddle, you make a plan. Then, you execute the plan. Either the plan works or it doesn't. If the plan works, great. First down. If the plan doesn't work, go back and make another plan. That is akin to pure capitalism. We like that.

The Euros would have to be able to play without a huddle or play calling of any kind. No planning. Just random sh*t that would be hard for our guys to figure out, let alone defend. Could be dangerous.

FAX boy, am i glad you're stuck at the office today...

of course, you should probably be working instead of entertaining us... *disapproving look*

FAX
06-24-2006, 02:06 PM
boy, am i glad you're stuck at the office today...

of course, you should probably be working instead of entertaining us... *disapproving look*

A confluence of events are driving my back to the grindstone. First, you post this, Mr. go bo, then (of all things) the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX calls from the lake and asks me how "work" is going. Guilt rising.

I need to get with it.

FAX

go bowe
06-24-2006, 02:18 PM
get 'er done...

then go have some fun... :toast:

NJ Chief Fan
06-24-2006, 02:35 PM

FAX

the same could be said about baseball years ago

NJ Chief Fan
06-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Also have to remember we didnt even send alot of our best players to the last Olympics. A few of the really good players pussed out. Put this team out there and we would win easy.

PG - Jason Kidd, Allen Iverson
SG - Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade
SF - LeBron James, Bruce Bowen
PF - Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand, Amare Stoudemire
C - Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan

1 j-kidd, billups
2 iverson, flop
3 kobe, james i know kobe is really a sg, but in international play he could play sf, its a much different game
4 stoudemire, brand
5 kg, duncan

Logical
06-24-2006, 03:04 PM

FAX

Maybe Euros but like someone else said the system that takes kids from 7 or 8 on through is a long way from cultivation. Genetically I just don't see Asian teams competing because they on average just don't have the size and bone structure. Yes Sumo's exist but they are not exactly the common Asian.

Psyko Tek
06-24-2006, 03:08 PM
IMHO to win in the world stage we don't send these "all star " team we need to send the guys who had the best record that didn't make the finals, ie 2nd in their division
these would be guys who are pissed they didn't make the finals and would wanna prove they are still good
and already have a team dynamic in place

it would also say to the rest of the world we don't need to send our best to kick your ass...

providing we win