PDA

View Full Version : Any cooks out there?

luv
06-24-2006, 01:21 PM
I used to bake a lot (as in cookies, cake, bread, etc), and I loved to do that. However, since I've been watching what I eat [insert annoying comment by GoChiefs], I've been trying to prepare more meals rather than buying boxed dinners and sandwich meat. I've perfected the art of baking lemon-pepper chicken. Today, I grilled (stovetop) an extra chicken breast that wouldn't fit into the small pan I was baking the others in. I sprinkled on some creole seasoning, some garlic and herb salt, and some ground pepper. With some corn as a side, it was really good.

Besides grilling (outdoors) or smoking, what is the one meal you rock at making? Every guy has that one special dish they can prepare when trying to impress. And ladies, what is your favorite dish to prepare?

milkman
06-24-2006, 01:26 PM
A bowl of cereal!

pr_capone
06-24-2006, 01:33 PM
I make stuffed pasta shells. SOOOOOOO damn good.... Riccota, Parm, Cheddar, Monty, and any other kinda cheese I can get a hold of.

*drool*

cdcox
06-24-2006, 01:41 PM
I cook quite a bit.

I do steaks indoors in an iron skillet with great side sauce. Stuffed mushrooms on the side.

My egg rolls are also a big hit when we have company over.

Other things I regularly cook: chiken breasts with mushroom cream sauce, mushroom risotto, meat loaf, chilli, fettuchini alfedo, pork enchiladas, pancakes, french toast, and a ton of other stuff.

luv
06-24-2006, 01:45 PM
I cook quite a bit.

I do steaks indoors in an iron skillet with great side sauce. Stuffed mushrooms on the side.

My egg rolls are also a big hit when we have company over.

Other things I regularly cook: chiken breasts with mushroom cream sauce, mushroom risotto, meat loaf, chilli, fettuchini alfedo, pork enchiladas, pancakes, french toast, and a ton of other stuff.
I take it you like mushrooms.

Fire Me Boy!
06-24-2006, 01:51 PM
I cook a lot, but one of the best things I make (outside of grilling/smoking) is pasta carbonara... :drool: It's expensive (because I refuse to use bacon instead of pancetta) but damn is it good.

I may have to make it tonight.

cdcox
06-24-2006, 01:56 PM
I take it you like mushrooms.

That reminds me, I make some tasty deep fried mushrooms, too. I serve 'em with a horseraddish sauce.

I usually substitute baby bellas for the regular monterey mushrooms in my recepies. Or wild mushrooms are even better.

luv
06-24-2006, 01:59 PM
I tend to bake chicken a lot. Or pasta.

One dish my mom used to make a few years back was to take some pork steaks, fry them a few minutes on each side, then put them in a pan, pour cream of mushroom soup over the top, then bake it. That was some good stuff.

luv
06-24-2006, 02:01 PM
The only problem I have with preparing meals, is that I tend to cook too much (just me). I try to find foods that reheat well.

Moooo
06-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I make a mean Chef Boyardee ravioli...

Moooo

Douche Baggins
06-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I tend to cook too much.

That's OK. I think your stomach is actually bigger than your eyes in this case.

Moooo
06-24-2006, 02:04 PM
The only problem I have with preparing meals, is that I tend to cook too much (just me). I try to find foods that reheat well.

Leftovers creep me out. I won't eat them. But then again I'm afraid to drink milk that still has like a week left on it, so who knows.

Moooo

Iowanian
06-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Cook Venison Loin...pounded out, on the grill, and occasionally drizzle with melted Parquet.

Very close to Zero fat...tastes good too.

Make a foil boat, pour in some beer and a spoon of the same aforementioned Parquet. Add Salt, pepper, and Vegetables, preferably Asparagus.

Moooo
06-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Cook Venison Loin...pounded out, on the grill, and occasionally drizzle with melted Parquet.

Make a foil boat, pour in some beer and a spoon of the same aforementioned Parquet. Add Salt, pepper, and Vegetables, preferably Asparagus.

Foil boat fish with with margarine... a wonderful campfire treat.

Moooo

Bugeater
06-24-2006, 02:35 PM

One dish my mom used to make a few years back was to take some pork steaks, fry them a few minutes on each side, then put them in a pan, pour cream of mushroom soup over the top, then bake it. That was some good stuff.
Next time you do that, try it with Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup instead. :drool:

noa
06-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Honey glazed chicken with baked apples and potatoes.

Fire Me Boy!
06-24-2006, 02:54 PM
... I'm afraid to drink milk that still has like a week left on it, so who knows.
ROFL

From a guy named "Moooo"... THAT is hilarious.

Fire Me Boy!
06-24-2006, 02:54 PM

I do that a lot... it's good with chicken breasts, too.

Fire Me Boy!
06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Luv, you shouldn't disparrage your sweet loaves... we all know how good they are! ROFL

luv
06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Speaking of soup, my dad makes an awesome potato soup. I've never tried making it though. Soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, that sounds yummy. Limited finances as of late, and soup is pretty cheap.

Fire Me Boy!
06-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Speaking of soup, my dad makes an awesome potato soup. I've never tried making it though. Soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, that sounds yummy. Limited finances as of late, and soup is pretty cheap.
Ooh! That reminded me, I make a pretty kick ass corn and crab chowder.

luv
06-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Luv, you shouldn't disparrage your sweet loaves... we all know how good they are! ROFL
I haven't done the Amish bread thing in forever! Funny you mention that. A girl at work brought in a few starters about a week or two ago. I almost took one, but I decided not to.

BucEyedPea
06-24-2006, 03:55 PM
You don't grow up Italian and not learn how to cook...and do some baking as well. I can really get into cooking. Not the nightly grind simple fare. I have so many cook books at least two books cases full.I love cooking for company.

My favorite meal done to impress:
Traditional English Christmas Dinner with a twist.
Prime Rib with the bone in roasted with fresh rosemary
Homemade Giant Popovers,
Roasted mixed veggies ( baby carrots, baby turnips, small onions, green beans, mushrooms and asparagus if available),
Sour cream mashed pototatoes with fresh chives.
Preceded by one of my favorite salads: Mixed dark field greens, diced red onion, mandarin orange slices and sunflower seeds. Dressing is a simple virgin olive oil and Japanese seasoned rice vinegar. This salad is the perfect yin for yang that follows.

Serve with Cabernet Sauvignon wine.

My other one, for company and well liked by others is my Fettucine Alfredo Cabonara with prosciutto (or bacon) and peas. Sometimes I add shrimp or go completely primavera.

I make a lotta of other things too: like Stuffed Shells with Ricotta and Spinach, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Margherita Pizza, Lentil Soup with Escarole, Ribs, Teryiaki,Stir Fry, Mexican and different salads but you wanted what was cooked for impressing.

Luv, I buy a lot of cook books and I bought the South Beach Diet one. It has some great recipes with healthy ingredients and not a lot of fat with some interesting twists. You might like it for your own regimen you're on but the recipes are also good anytime.

Douche Baggins
06-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Here you go, luv...this looks to be right up your alley:

Recirculating Gravy Fountain (http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/3BDA0A80261F1029BC6B001143E7E506/)

Skipping Town
06-24-2006, 04:18 PM

Even "I" think that is so damn mean.

Bugeater
06-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Shut up, n00b!

Skipping Town
06-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Shut up, n00b!

I got your noob hanging mutha ****er.

Vegas_Dave
06-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Crab Legs (dummy proof)

blueballs
06-24-2006, 07:10 PM
cut the bone from a porkchop
beat it like it owed you money
bread it and fry like tenderloin

luv
06-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Here's a hint. Life is much better with him on ignore.

Tig O Bittys
06-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Anyone else read this "Any C0CK'S out there?"

luv
06-25-2006, 12:46 AM
Anyone else read this "Any C0CK'S out there?"
Lookin' for some, are ya?

Tig O Bittys
06-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Lookin' for some, are ya?

I was just willing to help you out..

;)

Logical
06-25-2006, 01:19 AM

Until you are perfect, shut the f*ck up. You have far too many issues to be ragging on someone else.

Logical
06-25-2006, 01:21 AM

What is a Parquet? I know it is a type of floor but I am sure this is something else. Is it an oil, or butter?

Logical
06-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Ooh! That reminded me, I make a pretty kick ass corn and crab chowder.That sounds really good.

Jilly
06-25-2006, 05:54 AM
chicken teriyake grilled outside with swiss cheese and pineapple

Jilly
06-25-2006, 05:55 AM
and coffee. I'm a damn good coffee maker.

Fire Me Boy!
06-25-2006, 08:17 AM
That sounds really good.
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning blend
on spice aisle in your market
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 c. vegetable or chicken stock or broth
1 qt. whole milk
3 c. corn kernels
8 oz. cooked lump crab meat

Heat a deep pot over moderate heat. Add oil and butter. As you chop veggies, add them to the pot: potatoes, celery, onion, and red bell pepper. Add bay leaf. Season vegetables with salt and pepper and Old Bay seasoning. Saute veggies five minutes, then sprinkle in flour. Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and combine. Stir in milk and combine. Bring soup up to a bubble. Add corn and crab meat and simmer soup five minutes. Adjust the soup seasonings. Remove bay leaf. Eat!

Baby Lee
06-25-2006, 08:45 AM
What is a Parquet? I know it is a type of floor but I am sure this is something else. Is it an oil, or butter?
I think he meant Parkay.

butter

Baby Lee
06-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Best reliable meal.

Big jar of Great Northern Beans.
Half an onion, sliced.
3 cloves garlic, diced
5 strips of bacon, cooked crisp.
Crumble up the bacon and crock pot the whole mess.

Then take a Corn Bread box mix, substitute sour cream 1/1 for milk/water on the directions. Spoon into 6 muffin tin and bake.

Bowl of beans with muffins with real butter. A couple of shots of Mcllhenny's tobasco on top of the beans.

When grilling, I like to make blackened squash and zuccini, Slice them 1/4" thick longways. Make a foil 'pan' by folding the sides, pour approx 3Tbs olive oil in the pan, flip the slices around until they're coated in oil then arrange them so all slices are on the foil surface], sprinkle either cajun or mediterranean/Greek spices [depending on the rest of the meal]. Saute on the grill when the smoke pellets are smokiest, then fork through the 'pan' to let the oil drip and flare up on the squash to get them good and blackened.

Otherwise I don't have a 'go to' dish. Just generally do a decent job of following directions.

The Red Sea
06-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Well I was a Chef in Many a private restaraunt before going to work for Darden foods(Redlobster manager)

The wife & I have always enjoyed a bottle of wine & creating some awesome dishes...to many to name.

Also I'm pretty sure most of you know of the small chain "Coffee to goes" that are in most big cities.
My Wife has a contract with one of those chains to bake for them Skones/Biscotti etc...

We also do cookie platters on the side for weddings and such.

So I guess what I'm saying is YES theres a few real cooks out here! =P

A Buzz & preparing something Delicious is sooo much better than eating another big mac with some cold fries.
Though I know for some its hard to convince thats true.
Since many of my employees are young kids its funny.
If I were to ask would you rather I at home BBQ a 2 inch thick burger with the works or you could have another whopper..sad to say many are like a Whopper..of course!!

That I just cant understand at all.

Some of that is because my wife is 100% Italian & not only wont she walk down the freezer section in a grocery store..but you can only imagine how she feels about fast food.

She starts getting dinner ready at like noon. =)
My wifes up to date & all & I love her Dearly but as far as old Italian Ways shes kept the stir sauce for 48 hours traditions.

Kind of funny story..we were taking my wifes wealthy Italian grandmother on a road trip and had no choice but to stop for fast food(Wendys)..her FIRST time at a drive thru mind you as crazy as that is.
So after she finally understood the concept & had her meal planned(a simple burger) I placed the order & she started talking into the mic.. and can I have my burger medium well & is it possible to get provalone cheese with that?

Sigh...Umm grandma you get the burger like everyone else gets...her reply..well then this is the last time I eat out at one of these..then for the next hour I had to hear why She would Never eat fast food...blah blah blah..then I turned on Sports radio & stared out the window.

Thats the story & im stickin to it!

sedated
06-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I tend to bake chicken a lot.

luv, when you bake the chicken, you should grill it in a skillet real quick before you put in in the oven.

just enough to brown it on each side. it makes a big difference.

luv
06-25-2006, 11:47 AM
luv, when you bake the chicken, you should grill it in a skillet real quick before you put in in the oven.

just enough to brown it on each side. it makes a big difference.
I'm guessing it helps seal in juices when you do that. If you're not careful, it's easy to dry out chicken when baking it.

greg63
06-25-2006, 11:49 AM
...Steak! :D

Fire Me Boy!
06-25-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm guessing it helps seal in juices when you do that. If you're not careful, it's easy to dry out chicken when baking it.
Yes, it's called searing. Sear the meat and the juices will stay in.

Dunit35
06-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Until you are perfect, shut the f*ck up. You have far too many issues to be ragging on someone else.

No kidding.... :clap:

OldTownChief
06-25-2006, 08:16 PM

:clap:

plbrdude
06-25-2006, 09:26 PM
spagetti w/meat sauce

Nzoner
06-25-2006, 10:19 PM
My chili rocks,I even have a client who wants to pay my entry fee into a local contest called the Chili Cook-Off but I don't want to sit on my ass for 3 days while people sample my chili.

luv
06-25-2006, 10:36 PM
My chili rocks,I even have a client who wants to pay my entry fee into a local contest called the Chili Cook-Off but I don't want to sit on my ass for 3 days while people sample my chili.
Every time I attempt to make chili, it either ends up too runny or the spices are just off.

cdcox
06-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Kind of funny story..we were taking my wifes wealthy Italian grandmother on a road trip and had no choice but to stop for fast food(Wendys)..her FIRST time at a drive thru mind you as crazy as that is.
So after she finally understood the concept & had her meal planned(a simple burger) I placed the order & she started talking into the mic.. and can I have my burger medium well & is it possible to get provalone cheese with that?

Sigh...Umm grandma you get the burger like everyone else gets...her reply..well then this is the last time I eat out at one of these..then for the next hour I had to hear why She would Never eat fast food...blah blah blah..then I turned on Sports radio & stared out the window.

Thats the story & im stickin to it!

Funny story. I envy the old ways.

sedated
06-26-2006, 09:33 AM

I've got a pretty good chili recipe myself, people always want me to do those cook-offs too.

all fresh herbs and sh!t, no cutting corners

Jilly
06-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I've got a pretty good chili recipe myself, people always want me to do those cook-offs too.

all fresh herbs and sh!t, no cutting corners

I make an awesome chicken/white chili. It's very tasty and not as fattening, well, sort of. I always shoot myself in the foot by adding sour cream and monterey jack cheese.

Fire Me Boy!
06-26-2006, 04:34 PM
JMO, but white chili is a crime against chili.