PDA

View Full Version : This is truly unsettling.

Bowser
06-24-2006, 06:02 PM
http://movies.apple.com/trailers/independent/americafreedomtofascism/trailer/

Bowser
06-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Watching it again, it does seem a bit hokie. To compare us to Communism and Nazism takes away a bunch of credibility, and that goes without saying.

The trailer gave me pause, just because it's scary to think that people, INFLUENTIAL people, think it come to this.

Logical
06-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I made these comparisons before in a thread here myself. I see it as a gradual turn rather than a sudden turn. But the erosion is happening and is quite frankly scary for my children and any grandchildren in the future. Is it alarmist, yes, should we ignore it because it has elements of alarmism, NO.

Just remember it is not the obvious that changes society, it is the subtle the erosion of our base freedoms. Time is ticking, are you going to be on the wrong side of history?

Jenson71
06-24-2006, 06:57 PM
When Peter Gibbons claims there is no constiutional basis for a tax on the wages of Americans living and working in the state of the union, what then, is the sixteenth amendment?

Jenson71
06-24-2006, 07:09 PM
When Peter Gibbons claims there is no constiutional basis for a tax on the wages of Americans living and working in the state of the union, what then, is the sixteenth amendment?

Okay, I see. Some people claim it was never actually ratified.

Count Alex's Losses
06-24-2006, 07:41 PM
One thing that I took away from that is how much smarter George Sr. was compared to his son. ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
06-24-2006, 07:52 PM
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

Hydrae
06-24-2006, 08:46 PM
I made these comparisons before in a thread here myself. I see it as a gradual turn rather than a sudden turn. But the erosion is happening and is quite frankly scary for my children and any grandchildren in the future. Is it alarmist, yes, should we ignore it because it has elements of alarmism, NO.

Just remember it is not the obvious that changes society, it is the subtle the erosion of our base freedoms. Time is ticking, are you going to be on the wrong side of history?

Honestly, we are long overdue for a revolution in this country. Non-violent would be the best but either way, the people really do need to step up and put the government back in it's place.

This looks rather interesting. Not sure it is something I would go see in the theatre but will certainly check it out on video in 6 months.

banyon
06-24-2006, 09:38 PM
<embed src="http://www.freedomtofascism.com/trailer/video/afftf_med_400.wmv"autoplay='false'> </embed>

jAZ
06-24-2006, 10:34 PM
I don't exactly understand what the whole "income tax" aspect of this movie has to do with the rest of the stuff. It seems to be the central point, and that's all well and good... but there are a lot interesting issues raised... I just don't see a direct link to the central point of income taxes.

Bowser
06-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't exactly understand what the whole "income tax" aspect of this movie has to do with the rest of the stuff. It seems to be the central point, and that's all well and good... but there are a lot interesting issues raised... I just don't see a direct link to the central point of income taxes.

That's what I thought as well. A whole lot of movie ADD going on.

jAZ
06-24-2006, 10:38 PM
That's what I thought as well. A whole lot of movie ADD going on.
The funny thing is that to me, the other side-issues seemed to be the more interesting parts. The federal reserve, big-brother, etc.

Hydrae
06-24-2006, 10:40 PM

It is because the income tax and the way it is collected are symptomatic to the backhanded manner the government gathers more and more control to itself. And if we allow them to do that with the money we earn with our own sweat and blood, what else will we let them do?

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2006, 10:59 PM
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again...meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

irishjayhawk
06-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Is there really nothing - no amendment, law, bill, etc etc, - that mandates we pay an income tax?

Jenson71
06-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Is there really nothing - no amendment, law, bill, etc etc, - that mandates we pay an income tax?

Amendment XVI:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Hydrae
06-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Amendment XVI:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

That is what allows them to but is not what would mandate we have to pay. I would think that would be a seperate piece of legislation. :shrug:

I will also say again (and again and again...) that this is one of the worst things ever foisted on the American public. One of the bog tenants behind the revolution in the first place was taxes without representation. This amendment blew that completely out of the water and we are no longer represented in government equally.

KC Jones
06-25-2006, 09:15 AM

There's a great book that underlines this phenomenon - The Nazi Seizure of Power (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0531056333/104-7757879-3967145?v=glance&n=283155). It details the changes in a town in Germany from 1922 to 1945. Slowly moving the population one small step at a time to where they wanted to take them, by the time anyone realized where they were going... it was too late.

Is the 'slippery slope' a valid logical argument in good debate? no. Is the continued gradual migration from A to B something we all need to look out for? yes.

banyon
06-25-2006, 09:26 AM
That is what allows them to but is not what would mandate we have to pay. I would think that would be a seperate piece of legislation. :shrug:

SIXTY-THIRD CONGRESS. SESS. I. CH. 16. 1913. 167

SECTION II. A. Subdivision 1. That there shall be levied, assessed, collected and paid annually upon the entire net income arising or accruing from all sources in the preceding calendar year to every citizen of the United States, whether residing at home or abroad, and to every per- son residing in the United States, though not a citizen thereof, a tax of 1 per centum per annum upon such income, except as hereinafter provided; and a like tax shall be assessed, levied, collected, and paid annually upon the entire net income from all property owned and of every business, trade, or profession carried on in the United States by persons residing elsewhere. Subdivision 2. In addition to the income tax provided under this section (herein referred to as the normal income tax) there shall be levied, assessed, and collected upon the net income of every individual an additional income tax (herein referred to as the additional tax) of 1 per centum per annum upon the amount by which the total net in- come exceeds $20,000 and does not exceed $50,000, and 2 per centumper annum upon the amount by which the total net income exceeds $50,000 and does not exceed $75,000, 3 per centum per annum upon the amount by which the total net income exceeds $75,000 and does not exceed $100,000, 4 per centum per annum upon the amount by which the total net income exceeds $100,000 and does not exceed $250,000, 5 per centum per annum upon the amount by which the total net income exceeds $250,000 and does not exceed $500,000, and 6 per centum per annum upon the amount by which the total net incomeexceeds $500,000. All the provisions of this section relating to in- dividuals who are to be chargeable with the normal income tax, so far as they are applicable and are not inconsistent with this subdivision of paragraph A, shall apply to the levy, assessment, and collection of the additional tax imposed under this section. Every person subject to this additional tax shall, for the purpose of its assessment and collec- tion, make a personal return of his total net income from all sources, corporate or otherwise, for the preceding calendar year, under rules and regulations to be prescribed by the Commissioner of Internal Revenue and approved by the Secretary of the Treasury. For the purpose of this additional tax the taxable income of any individual shall embrace the share to which he would be entitled of the gains and profits, if divided or distributed, whether divided or distributed or not, of all corporations, joint-stock companies...
http://www.givemeliberty.org/RTPLawsuit/Misc/IncomeTax1913.pdf

Frankly, I find these people's statements that there is no legal authority behind the income tax to just be bizarre. The 16th amendment provides the constitutional basis, and the above is the original statutory basis, having been re-enacted and modified a gajillion times over the years.