PDA

View Full Version : Broken Trail

Sully
06-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Anyone catch the first part of this tonight?

Pretty decent, I thought. Robert Duvall playing... wait for it... Robert Duvall, and Thomas Haden Church, not playing Lowell.

I liked it. Interesting story, with the prostitutes..etc.

Anyone else?

greg63
06-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Nope I missed it; sorry to say.

chief2000
06-25-2006, 10:45 PM
I caught 'Open Range' Costner movie.

Seems like the Waterworld cast was in it.

Did you notice all of them ? The bad guy who got shot in the head . The old guy in barn who had the rifle.

RINGLEADER
06-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Tivo'd it...one of the prostitutes was in a movie I just finished so I figured I'd give it a try...

Iowanian
06-26-2006, 07:18 AM
I watched a few minutes of it, and it looked very, very promising. I knew I couldn't watch it all last night, and have meetings tonight.

I'm sure it will be on alot. I plan to watch it.

Bwana
06-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Yep, great show! Can't wait for part 2 tonight.

ROYC75
06-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I laughed at Big Rump Kate or whatever her name is.

Looks like there will be more action in tonights show......

Jilly
06-26-2006, 07:55 AM
I actually really like it, but then, I love westerns and it has everything westerns usually have.

yunghungwell
06-26-2006, 08:25 AM
As Col. Potter of M.A.S.H. fame would say, "It has the three things that it takes to make a good western. Horses, horses, and more horses."

oldandslow
06-26-2006, 09:01 AM
I like westerns and I like Robert Duvall...

I liked most of this two parter...BUT ....SPOILER

First - I did not buy the scene where Duvall shot the two gents selling small pox blankets to the indians. Duvall seemed to care very little that about the fine Capn's occupation of sex slavery - but was really concerned about the indian's plight?? I just didn't buy it. And the whole war dance scene over the cremation of the bodies was over the top.

Second - Of all the towns in the west in 1882, our heroes wind up in the same one as "Big Rump Kate...." c'mon....

jspchief
06-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Tivo'd it and will Tivo part 2 tonight.

This first run is supposed to be limited commercials, so get it if you can.

chefsos
06-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Guess it's time for bumpage here.

I missed part 1, but saw the second half tonight. Pretty good story, for a non-movie buff such as myself. Duvall, I think, has patented roles like this one, to the point where you just can't see anyone else doing it.

ROYC75
06-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I liked the part where they were at the campfire discussing women..............

Nothing has changed ..........

jspchief
06-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Well, I watched all of part 1, and about 30% of part 2 before bed last night.

My overall impression was that it's pretty mediocre. I think it's a great idea for a story, but the execution of the story has been aweful so far.

For starters, they could have cut about an hour from the show simply by cutting out 90% of the horse and scenery shots. I like horses, and I like beautiful country, but when it makes up for 30% of a slow starting film, it's too much.

I also think they're doing a shitty job with character development. Instead of the show centering around a limited number of deep, interesting characters, they decided to dump a bunch of shallow characters into it. Quantity doesn't replace quantity. If this was the set up for a series, this might work. But in a 3 1/2 hour movie, it's just cluttered.

Through the first 60% of the movie, I have to say it's not very good. I could see the last hour picking up and being better, but all that will do is reinforce what waste of time the first hour and a half was.