PDA

View Full Version : STS-121: Scheduled Lift-Off This Saturday

Donger
06-26-2006, 01:16 PM
3:49pm EDT, to be precise. Does anyone care any more? Will anyone make time to watch the launch?

Just curious.

ChiefaRoo
06-26-2006, 01:20 PM
They need to retire that whole sorry design and build a new generation of Spacecraft that is reliable and actually has the capability to navigate and explore the Solar System as opposed to floating around the planet growing plants in zero gravity.

pr_capone
06-26-2006, 01:22 PM
I probably wont. Its not that I dont care as much as that I am disinterested in space travel.

Landing on the moon was cool and all, but until they bring back something that cures cancer, find life, or the such.... I'm just meh on the subject.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-121/lores/sts121-s-002.jpg

Donger
06-26-2006, 01:22 PM
They need to retire that whole sorry design and build a new generation of Spacecraft that is reliable and actually has the capability to navigate and explore the Solar System as opposed to floating around the planet growing plants in zero gravity.

And, thankfully, we are. Not the 'Solar System' mind you, but the new design will get us back to the Moon.

The orbiters have been a waste of time, money, and not to mention lives.

Donger
06-26-2006, 01:24 PM
I probably wont. Its not that I dont care as much as that I am disinterested in space travel.

Landing on the moon was cool and all, but until they bring back something that cures cancer, find life, or the such.... I'm just meh on the subject.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-121/lores/sts121-s-002.jpg

Rather ironic that you might not be typing into that home computer if it hadn't been for the manned space program.

pr_capone
06-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Rather ironic that you might not be typing into that home computer if it hadn't been for the manned space program.

Actually.... I am at work. :)

I understand what you mean from a technological standpoint... .and definately what I said was not meant to detract from the courage it takes to go up there.... much less the accomplishment of making it out into space to begin with.

I honestly think that people, in general, will be disinterested in the space program until some of the stuff we have seen on Star Trek comes to pass. Warp speed, phasers, and Klingons and the like. lol

As it is... its just the same old thing. Shoot off a rocket into space... they hang out for a while floating around and drinking Tang, then come back with nothing really to show for it other than some "space rocks" and some moon dust.

Donger
06-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Actually.... I am at work. :)

I understand what you mean from a technological standpoint... .and definately what I said was not meant to detract from the courage it takes to go up there.... much less the accomplishment of making it out into space to begin with.

I honestly think that people, in general, will be disinterested in the space program until some of the stuff we have seen on Star Trek comes to pass. Warp speed, phasers, and Klingons and the like. lol

As it is... its just the same old thing. Shoot off a rocket into space... they hang out for a while floating around and drinking Tang, then come back with nothing really to show for it other than some "space rocks" and some moon dust.

I don't disagree with you; that's why I feel the way I do about the shuttle program.

ChiefaRoo
06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
And, thankfully, we are. Not the 'Solar System' mind you, but the new design will get us back to the Moon.

The orbiters have been a waste of time, money, and not to mention lives.

The moon is cool but they should be able to build a ship with a nuclear drive that would power a plasma engine of some type. Spin one of the modules so the astronauts muscles won't shrink up and an electromagnetic field generator so they don't get X-ray'ed every time theres a solar flare and send them to Titan. Now that would be interesting.

NOTE to NASA - Leave the bean sprouts at home

chief husker
06-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Very excited. Going to New Smyrna for the week just north of the launch point. Hopefully going up on time. Gonna be sweet.

4th and Long
06-26-2006, 06:12 PM
I may watch, depending on my work schedule. I just don't want to see this ...
http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper285/stills/1feqyusb.jpg
or this ...
http://home.insightbb.com/~j.bozeman/shuttlecol.gif
http://www.usnewslink.com/oldserver/shuttlesequence.jpg
ever again.

greg63
06-26-2006, 06:16 PM
3:49pm EDT, to be precise. Does anyone care any more? Will anyone make time to watch the launch?

Just curious.

Nope; I'll be at work!:banghead:

Logical
06-26-2006, 06:27 PM

Actually they need to leave space exploration to robotic missions and save a bundle and use the savings to increase the efforts of long range exploration.

ChiefaRoo
06-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Actually they need to leave space exploration to robotic missions and save a bundle and use the savings to increase the efforts of long range exploration.

We should do both actually.

morphius
06-26-2006, 06:54 PM
I haven't seen one in anything but a replay on TV in a long time. While flying around the globe would be fun to do and recently more dangerous, its just not exciting to me anymore.

I want people actually taking steps forward, not just repeating what we have done many times.

Adept Havelock
06-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Glad to see it, but it's past time to build the new RLV. Not to mention finishing the Phoenix SSTO, as it's considerably cheaper cost per pound to Low Earth Orbit.

The shuttle is still basically the height of 1970's technology. Until the recent cockpit systems upgrade a couple three years ago, the most powerful computer was a 386, for pete's sake.

Outer system travel/exploration would be great, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. Maybe in a generation or two. The human body is just too inefficent a design for prolonged space travel. While I like the idea of manned exploration, we may be better using robotics. :shrug:

Personally, I'd like to see a cheap way to LEO (i.e. SSTO, Magnetic Catapult, or build the damn Beanstalk), and start doing some serious zero-g (or low-g) industry in LEO or on the moon. The biggest bottleneck is the cost of getting materials out of the gravity well. Why not get out to the belt where they are already available for use at a fraction of the energy (and monetary) costs?

kcirnamffoh
06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
I'll be there. Well, within 15 miles or so. In fact I work at one of the highest points around. A plant at Port Canaveral. I'm here now. The highest point is about 11 stories. I'll be here watching this launch. Hope it goes off the first time. Most of the time they don't and a week later you miss the launch cause you get tired of waiting for a scrub.

Count Alex's Losses
06-26-2006, 10:15 PM
You think I'll die before we can make it to the next solar system?

Phobia
06-26-2006, 10:24 PM
You think I'll die before we can make it to the next solar system?

I hope not. You need to meet your soulmate storm trooper.

Count Alex's Losses
06-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I hope not. You need to meet your soulmate storm trooper.

To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Donger
06-27-2006, 12:43 AM
To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Where no 'man' has gone before.

While I'm a proponent of TNG over the original crispy recipe, some things should not have been altered.

Count Alex's Losses
06-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Where no 'man' has gone before.

While I'm a proponent of TNG over the original crispy recipe, some things should not have been altered.

I didn't want to open myself up to gay jokes.

Donger
06-27-2006, 12:52 AM
I didn't want to open myself up to gay jokes.

Well, ceasing randomly spreading your ass cheeks would be a good start.

dtebbe
06-27-2006, 01:16 AM
They should launch it on Tuesday, that way if anything goes wrong......