PDA

View Full Version : Hamas and Fatah officially recognized Israel

ct
06-27-2006, 07:10 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/27/palestinians.israel.ap/index.html

Palestinian factions agree to recognize Israel
But soldier's kidnapping, internal bickering foster doubts

Tuesday, June 27, 2006; Posted: 8:55 a.m. EDT (12:55 GMT)

GAZA CITY (AP) -- The rival Hamas and Fatah movements on Tuesday completed an agreement over a plan that implicitly recognizes Israel, ending weeks of acrimonious negotiations, a top official said.

"We have an agreement over the document," said Ibrahim Abu Najah, coordination of the "national dialogue" over the proposal.

Salah Zeidan, another negotiator, said preparations were being made for a formal signing ceremony. "All political groups are prepared for a mutual cease-fire with Israel," he said.

President Mahmoud Abbas of Fatah has been trying to coax his Hamas rivals into endorsing the document, which was formulated by senior Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.

He has endorsed the plan as a way to end crippling economic sanctions against the Hamas-led Palestinian government and pave the way to reopening peace talks.

However, the deal was overshadowed by a crisis over the kidnapping of an Israeli soldier and opposition to the deal voiced by Islamic Jihad, a small militant group that has carried out numerous attacks against Israel.

"In today's meeting, we announced we reject some of the articles of this document and we have reservations about other articles," said Khaled al-Batch, spokesman for Islamic Jihad.

The plan calls for a Palestinian state alongside Israel, in effect recognizing Israel. It also calls on militants to limit attacks to areas captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast War and calls for formation of a coalition Palestinian government.

Hamas and Fatah have been locked in a bloody power struggle since Hamas won legislative elections in January. Hamas controls the parliament and Cabinet. Abbas, a political moderate, was elected separately last year.

Israel has said the document is an internal Palestinian matter, but said it falls short of international demands that Hamas renounce violence and formally recognize the Jewish state.

With Hamas-linked militants holding a captured Israeli soldier, the Palestinian agreement is even less likely to reduce tensions. Israel has massed troops along its border with Gaza, promising a broad offensive into the area. (Full story)

BucEyedPea
06-27-2006, 07:13 AM
I saw this two days ago on the Guardian but dismissed it as ...well I'll wait and see if it really happens. I heard the sanctions had something to do with it.

KC Jones
06-27-2006, 07:18 AM
I'd prefer a document that explicitly recognizes Israel.

the Talking Can
06-27-2006, 07:25 AM
that's ha-mazing...

Brock
06-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm certain this will lead to a peaceful millennium.

plbrdude
06-27-2006, 08:58 PM
i thought they had already recognized them by stating they wanted to wipe them off the face of the earth.

Nightwish
06-28-2006, 09:20 AM
I'd prefer a document that explicitly recognizes Israel.
That'd be cool, but if it doesn't end the violence, I'd like to see Israel stand up and take care of their problem without coddling from the US. A big part of Israel's problem is that they aren't seen as a legitimate entity since their country was formed for them by the US and Britain, rather than them gaining statehood on their own. If they can demonstrate that they can handle their own problems without having to be propped up by the US, that'll go a long way to giving them legitimacy in the eyes of the Middle East. It won't solve everything, because this strife goes back millenia, but it'll help.

banyon
06-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Hamas leaders arrested; Israeli executed
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060629/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians;_ylt=AqoSUMseOl1Eom66c08xrfxvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--