PDA

View Full Version : The Last Samurai on AMC!

Deberg_1990
06-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Why do you guys have to hate on my boy Tom Cruise so much? Has anybody in Hollywood ever had a 20+ year run as successful as this guy before?

beer bacon
06-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Scientology.

Deberg_1990
06-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Scientology.

I could care less what religion or political affiliation that an actor practices. I dont watch any of thier movies and think about any of that crap.

Cormac
06-27-2006, 07:45 PM
He and Harrison Ford have probably had the most consistent success in modern times, but he's a freak. Nobody likes a freak.

nychief
06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
that movie blows hard. just like Tom Cruise.

FAX
06-27-2006, 07:49 PM
It's funny, Mr. Deberg_1990. MI3 is the first movie that Mrs. FAX and I have elected not to see solely based on the off-screen behavior of an actor.

That was probably silly, but we just couldn't get excited about going. His anti-South Park stance killed it for us.

FAX

milkman
06-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't like Tom Cruise because he just isn't a very good actor, and he picks a lot of crap movies to star in.

nychief
06-27-2006, 07:51 PM
http://crazymonk.org/images/cruise.jpg

Deberg_1990
06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
It's funny, Mr. Deberg_1990. MI3 is the first movie that Mrs. FAX and I have elected not to see solely based on the off-screen behavior of an actor.

That was probably silly, but we just couldn't get excited about going. His anti-South Park stance killed it for us.

FAX

Thats too bad you feel that way because IMO that was one Kick ass flick. The best of the three. Im sure alot of people probably felt that way though.

FAX
06-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Thats too bad you feel that way because IMO that was one Kick ass flick. The best of the three. Im sure alot of people probably felt that way though.

I heard it was good, Mr. Deberg_1990. As I said, it was probably very silly of us. And, I can honestly say that I've never before not gone to a movie for those reasons.

I just can't seem to suspend reality when watching him on the screen anymore. Kinda sad for me because I like big budget action flicks. Who doesn't?

FAX

Adept Havelock
06-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Why do you guys have to hate on my boy Tom Cruise so much? Has anybody in Hollywood ever had a 20+ year run as successful as this guy before?

Plenty of folks. Just off the top of my head, Jimmy Stewart, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Sean Connery, Harrison Ford, Robert Duvall, Michael Caine, Sir Lawrence Olivier, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Steve Mcqueen, William Holden, Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Sidney Potier, James Earl Jones, all very successful for at least 20 years.

They also had/have the added advantage of actually being able to act.

The Last Samurai was OK, but it didn't come close to the worst Kurosawa Flick.

Deberg_1990
06-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Plenty of folks. Just off the top of my head, Jimmy Stewart, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Sean Connery, Harrison Ford, Robert Duvall, Michael Caine, Sir Lawrence Olivier, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Steve Mcqueen, William Holden, Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Sidney Potier, James Earl Jones, all very successful for at least 20 years.

They also had/have the added advantage of actually being able to act.

True...i guess i meant just judging purely by Box office and popularity alone. I realize he isnt the most talented guy in the world but he has good "commercial" instincts.

Adept Havelock
06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
True...i guess i meant just judging purely by Box office and popularity alone. I realize he isnt the most talented guy in the world but he has good "commercial" instincts.

Yes, he's an effective whore. As an actor though, not so much. :p

Frazod
06-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Cruise may be a freak in real life, but he can act.

And Last Samurai ROCKS.

beer bacon
06-27-2006, 08:55 PM

And Last Samurai ROCKS.

Toshiro Mifune could out act like 20 Tom Cruises at the same time.

Frazod
06-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Toshiro Mifune could out act like 20 Tom Cruises at the same time.

And walk up hill to school in the snow both ways with his arms and legs tied behind his back.

chief2000
06-27-2006, 09:24 PM
I think Cruise has been unfairly stereotyped as a good actor.

I think him and Leo(whatever his name is) use the same formula. Just look good and let their women fans $$$ make them look like good actors.

War of the Worlds, Mission impossible(s) , Vanilla Sky & Minority didn't show me anything great. The guy loves BIG budget movies that are sucky. He's no Charleton Heston.

The studios know this. They aint dumb. Who cares if they can act.

Calling Tom Cruise great is like calling Ashton Kutcher great. Their skill is bringing in pussy to the movies. Thats all.

OldTownChief
06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I don't like Tom Cruise because he just isn't a very good actor, and he picks a lot of crap movies to star in.
I agree with 1/2 that.

beer bacon
06-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I think Cruise has been unfairly stereotyped as a good actor.

I think him and Leo(whatever his name is) use the same formula. Just look good and let their women fans $$$ make them look like good actors.

War of the Worlds, Mission impossible(s) , Vanilla Sky & Minority didn't show me anything great. The guy loves BIG budget movies that are sucky. He's no Charleton Heston.

The studios know this. They aint dumb. Who cares if they can act.

Calling Tom Cruise great is like calling Ashton Kutcher great. Their skill is bringing in pussy to the movies. Thats all.

He was good in Collateral.

CHENZ A!
06-27-2006, 10:08 PM

And Last Samurai ROCKS.

agreed, total douche, cool movies.

chief2000
06-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Last Samarai had too much Tom Cruise and not enough samarai.

http://www.eugenewoodbury.com/essays/japan120.htm

Go rent the 7 samuai.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047478/

Fezzic
06-27-2006, 11:06 PM
take the script for Dances with Wolves, cross out "Indians" and write in "Samurai/Japanese" and you've got a brand new movie!

Cochise
06-28-2006, 12:17 AM
What happened to the warriors at Thermopylae?

beer bacon
06-28-2006, 12:31 AM
What happened to the warriors at Thermopylae?

Sadly, they were corrupted by the thetans.

Jenson71
07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I didn't like this movie too much. I think Tom Cruise is a horrible actor.

Adept Havelock
07-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Sadly, they were corrupted by the thetans.

Damnit, that's OT III material! They can't find that out until they've paid 200,000........uh.... proven themselves ready to accept and understand that "technology".

:p