PDA

View Full Version : Homemade weed killer recipes??

Bwana
06-29-2006, 07:23 AM
There has to be something out there a person can whip up that will kill weeds without going to the store and paying the moon for some Roundup junk that doesn't work half the time. I tried bleach about two weeks ago in a spray bottle with limited results. I remember seeing a guy use gas which worked well, but with my luck, some swing'n dick would drive by and flick his cig butt out and implode my fence / house. Does anyone have the solution of choice to kill weeds??

Nzoner
06-29-2006, 07:26 AM
This thread topic is nothing what I was imagining

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 07:26 AM
2-4-D

reddon

FAX
06-29-2006, 07:27 AM
I use vinegar and salt mixed with water, Mr. Bwana. It's like a vinegary brine. Kills the living crap out of a weed.

I also use Ivory soap on my grass. I put it in a sprayer and apply it with a garden hose. I heard about this somewhere long ago and far away. For some reason, grass likes soap?

FAX

JBucc
06-29-2006, 07:28 AM
I use vinegar and salt mixed with water, Mr. Bwana. It's like a vinegary brine. Kills the living crap out of a weed.

I also use Ivory soap on my grass. I put it in a sprayer and apply it with a garden hose. I heard about thise somewhere long ago and far away. For some reason, grass likes soap?

FAXIs your yard slippery?

greg63
Calling QuikSStoner.

Phobia

You're looking for the Homemade killer weed recipes thread started by Skip Towne.

Bwana

Heh! QuickSsurfer should be along shortly to share some ideas. :)

DaKCMan AP
06-29-2006, 07:29 AM

ditto.

JBucc
06-29-2006, 07:30 AM
he didn't say killer weed he said weed killer

Bwana
06-29-2006, 07:30 AM
FAX

Really, why thanks Mr. Fax. :thumb:

jidar
06-29-2006, 07:31 AM
I use semen.

Here's my tip: apply it after dark so you don't have to pay the indecent exposure fines.

Bwana
06-29-2006, 07:34 AM
I use semen.

Here's my tip: apply it after dark so you don't have to pay the indecent exposure fines.

Ewwww! If it comes down to that (no pun intended) I think I will let them live. :hmmm:

FAX
Is your yard slippery?

No. I know it sounds funny, strange, and perhaps a little odd, Mr. JBucc.

But, it works. Grass likes Ivory soap. Give your grass a little soapy shower once in a while and it will reward you with a nice, green smile.

Do not, however, attempt to shampoo the grasses' hair. Whatever you do.

FAX

Phobia
I use semen.

Which reminds me, I dropped off more weed killer with your wife. Just sayin....

Chiefnj
06-29-2006, 07:35 AM
I've used plain vinegar and it works very well.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 07:38 AM
I too was hoping for killer weed recipes...

FAX
06-29-2006, 07:38 AM
I use semen.

This explains why so few attractive women have wild onions growing from their zones of heaven's splendor.

Mystery solved.

FAX

oldandslow
06-29-2006, 07:43 AM

I also use Ivory soap on my grass. I put it in a sprayer and apply it with a garden hose. I heard about thise somewhere long ago and far away. For some reason, grass likes soap?

FAX

Fax - what is the mixture ratio---This sounds like something I truly want to try.

greg63
06-29-2006, 07:46 AM
I use semen.

TMI

Although this would explain the great lawn that Rich Scanlon has.

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Gas and a match? Seriously, 2-4-D,mix with liquid soap and water. For really serious burn down,mix in some diesel,just don't get caught by the EPA.

Bwana
06-29-2006, 07:56 AM
So where would a person get some of this 2-4-D?

StcChief
06-29-2006, 07:56 AM

But, it works. Grass likes Ivory soap. Give your grass a little soapy shower once in a while and it will reward you with a nice, green smile.

FAXJerry Baker's book on yard care works good.
http://www.jerrybaker.com/

The yard tonic in july for thatch, etc.

bkkcoh
06-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Here are two homemade recipes to try. Both should be used only on plants that you want to get rid of, taking care not to spray any on surrounding plants. These are most effective when used on emerging weeds.

1 tablespoon of gin
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap
1 quart of hot water
Alternate version:

1 gallon of distilled vinegar
1 cup of salt
1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap

FAX
06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Fax - what is the mixture ratio---This sounds like something I truly want to try.

For the weed killer, I use a spray bottle, Mr. oldandslow. I fill it about halfway with regular vinegar and add a few teaspoons of salt. Then I fill it up with water. This will kill weeds, but it will also kill grass, flowers, your wife's favorite peoni, etc., so be careful because if you kill flowers, your wife will be very pissed. My neighbor says that, if you use liquid dish soap in this mix it will work better because the vinegar will then adhere to the plant. That sounds right, but I have yet to attempt this.

The grass soap is really easy. I bought bars of Ivory soap, broke up the bars, and put the chunks in one of those sprayer things (like the ones that come with Miracle Grow). Then, I just spray the lawn once or twice a year with soap! It works great. I think it's because it breaks up the nutrients in the soil or something, but I may be mistaken on that.

FAX

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Any farm store such as MFA, or something like that. Not sure of the environmental laws in your state, here in Missouri it's legal.

Fish
06-29-2006, 08:05 AM
HOT REDNECK RED PEPPER
GANJA LINGUINE
1 lb. hot red pepper linguine
1 1/2 lb. white mushrooms
2 green peppers, cut up
1/8 lb. fine bud or leaf of ganja
1 1/2 stick butter
1/2 pint of half-and-half cream
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup chopped fresh basil (or 2 tsp. dry basil)

Take the ganja and heat it in butter over moderate flame. Cook the butter in a double-boiler pot, making sure you heat it for at least 20 minutes, making sure not to burn the butter. Strain out the leaf and set the butter aside. Cook your linguine, but not too long. Pour your butter into another pan and add pepper, garlic and mushrooms, and sauté them a couple of minutes. Then drain the linguine and add to the sauté mixture. Pour in the cream and let it slowly reduce. The cream slowly thickens over a low flame. When it boils off the bottom of the pan, you are ready to eat.

:drool: :shrug:

Bwana
06-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Any farm store such as MFA, or something like that. Not sure of the environmental laws in your state, here in Missouri it's legal.

Hmmm? Well I will be in both MT and WY today so I will try to pick some up.

Smoke
06-29-2006, 08:10 AM
I'll back the 2-4-D idea too. It will run between 12 and 16 bucks a gallon and any farm or ag supply will have it. Crossbow works well too, but it's around 50 a gallon. If you want to get really into spraying, buy some Remedy($95) and mix one part Remedy with one part 2-4-D and two parts water, it's the basic Crossbow mix...comes out around 20 something a gallon and will make 50 gallons of spray per gallon of mix.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Hmmm? Well I will be in both MT and WY today so I will try to pick some up.

just be carefull w/ it. its hardcore stuff and you wont get anything to grow back in a sprayed area for a year or three.

DaKCMan AP
06-29-2006, 08:12 AM
buy a cow

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Another good resouce for you. Call your county extension agent. They provide lots of ag info, and it's free. Be careful with that 2-4-D, don't let the wind blow it back on you.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Another good resouce for you. Call your county extension agent. They provide lots of ag info, and it's free. Be careful with that 2-4-D, don't let the wind blow it back on you.

why they sprayed guys in vietnam w/ it w/ no ill effects.

Right?

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
heh.

FAX
06-29-2006, 08:27 AM
why they sprayed guys in vietnam w/ it w/ no ill effects.

Right?

I became curous and googled 2-4-D. That's some nasty stuff right there, Mr. MOhillbilly.

Have you used it in your agricultural endeavors?

FAX

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I became curous and googled 2-4-D. That's some nasty stuff right there, Mr. MOhillbilly.

Have you used it in your agricultural endeavors?

FAX

as long as i can remember and thats about 79'. Though im sure its been on the spread since it came out.

i havent used it in about 4 years but will spray the fence rows again come Aug.

Smoke
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
You guys are starting to freak me out with this 'Nam/bad for you stuff.

FAX
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
as long as i can remember and thats about 79'. Though im sure its been on the spread since it came out.

i havent used it in about 4 years but will spray the fence rows again come Aug.

And no discernable ill effects on livestock, pets, yourself?

FAX

Smoke
06-29-2006, 08:34 AM
The only chem that really worries me is the Ag strength Tordon. I've seen it used on Multi-flora roses and kill 20ft oak trees 30 yards away from the run off.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 08:35 AM
And no discernable ill effects on livestock, pets, yourself?

FAX

ive never had any problems or remember anyone talking about problems. Though im convinced that the DDT and Agent Orange combined w/ PTSD and huge amounts of booze led my oldman to an early grave.
JMO though.

But my grandpa used it for years and never had any health problems attributed to herbicides,and we always used alot of pesti/herbi products on the corn fields and in the garden. plus sprayed fence rows,ditches and around buildings.

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 08:39 AM
That Tordon is some strong stuff. I just paint it on the stumps after cutting down thorny locust,and stuff like that. Kills the roots.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 08:44 AM
guy here at work was talking about drilling holes in stumps after the first frost and pouring round up in them.

FAX
06-29-2006, 08:44 AM
ive never had any problems or remember anyone talking about problems. Though im convinced that the DDT and Agent Orange combined w/ PTSD and huge amounts of booze led my oldman to an early grave.
JMO though.

But my grandpa used it for years and never had any health problems attributed to herbicides,and we always used alot of pesti/herbi products on the corn fields and in the garden. plus sprayed fence rows,ditches and around buildings.

Crimeny (sp?).

I guess you have to put me down in the more or less anti-poison crowd, Mr. MOhillbilly. Having come from farming stock, I am sensitive to the need to find and employ cost-effective and efficient means to control pests and unwanted plants. It's your livelihood after all. And, I'm certain that, in the right hands, these chemicals are generally safe to use.

The concern and difficulty I have is that any idiot can buy and use these materials. And, there are a lot of idiots.

The chemical companies can create pesticides and herbicides fairly inexpensively that will kill anything fast. Interestingly, they could also create and market environmentally friendly concoctions that would accomplish the same or similar result. A familiar story, I suppose. DDT being the most obvious and well publicised example.

FAX

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 08:54 AM
they make herbicides now for the 'green' crowd. but its cost is high and is not effective.

sedated
06-29-2006, 08:59 AM
my bong seems to kill weed pretty effectively

ExtremeChief
06-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Ingredients:

water, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium pareth-23-sulfate, c12-14-16 dimethyl amine oxide, SD alcohol 40-B, undeceth-9, sodium lauryl benzene sulfonate, sodium cumene sulfonate, sddium chloride, PPG26, cyclohexanediamine, magnesium chloride, polyacetate, fragrance, yellow 5, red 33.

That should explain it.

way too much time on my hands

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 09:13 AM
my bong seems to kill weed pretty effectively

thats not the only thing it kills.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 09:15 AM
guy here at work was talking about drilling holes in stumps after the first frost and pouring round up in them.

For dead stump removal, I drill holes in them and pour motor oil in...let it soak for a couple of days and then light it up. They'll burn forever.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 09:17 AM
For dead stump removal, I drill holes in them and pour motor oil in...let it soak for a couple of days and then light it up. They'll burn forever.

add a bottle of whiskey and that sounds like fun.

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Sounds good to me! Bring your guitar.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Guitars, whiskey, burning stumps. I'm in.

bkkcoh
06-29-2006, 09:35 AM
sounds like something you may hear Jeff Foxworthy might say!!!!!

You might be a redneck if ....

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Sounds good to me! Bring your guitar.

i have a keytar will that do?

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 09:43 AM
i have a keytar will that do?

What's that? The hillbilly word for "accordion"? :D

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
what is a keytar? Might as well,I've seen people play spoons, and washboards,and such.

FAX
06-29-2006, 09:46 AM
what is a keytar? Might as well,I've seen people play spoons, and washboards,and such.

Actually, it is a form of hillbilly accordian, Mr. Always a Chief fan.

A soft, sweet ballad played with skill on the keytar will bring a woman under your spell and the cows up to the barn.

FAX

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info Mr.Fax. you are uber polite!

DaKCMan AP
06-29-2006, 10:09 AM
refrain from using the word 'uber' or I will be forced to think of you in a near, if not the same, light as gochiefs

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Oh please! Not that! I will refrain from it's use in the future.

Bwana
06-29-2006, 10:19 AM

I just called, I can get it several places here in town. Time for the weed population around here bend over and kiss their ass good bye. :evil:

Lzen
06-29-2006, 10:32 AM

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey! Thats some funny shit right there. How do you find and post pics like that on here?

bringbackmarty
06-29-2006, 10:46 AM

FAX
Soap is your most basic insecticide, Its probably killing small insects (like mites whick make plants appear dull) and without them your lawn looks better.

greg63
06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
...Can't believe QuikSStoner hasn't jumped on this train yet.

Bwana
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Baaa! If I was going the "tool route" I would use one of these bad boys.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Soap is your most basic insecticide, Its probably killing small insects (like mites whick make plants appear dull) and without them your lawn looks better.

it will also help the poison to stick.

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 11:03 AM
There ya go!

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 11:06 AM
There has to be something out there a person can whip up that will kill weeds without going to the store and paying the moon for some Roundup junk that doesn't work half the time. I tried bleach about two weeks ago in a spray bottle with limited results. I remember seeing a guy use gas which worked well, but with my luck, some swing'n dick would drive by and flick his cig butt out and implode my fence / house. Does anyone have the solution of choice to kill weeds??

Urine

Lzen
06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey! Thats some funny shit right there. How do you find and post pics like that on here?

Well for starters, you can find just about any pic you want by doing a Google search. Then just save it to your hard drive.

Then click the Post Reply button. Right above the Submit Reply button is a Manage Attachments link. Just click it and a little window pops up. Click the Browse button to find the pic and then click Add This File button. When you're finished adding pics, click the All Done button. Then click the Submit Reply button at the bottom to post.

Another way to add a pic is if you have a link to a pic. Just use the image tags - (img)(/img) - and put the link between the tags.

NOTE: use brackets instead of parenthesis for image tags. I just used parenthesis to make the tags show up in this post.

Bwana
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Urine

Oh hell yeah and while I'm at it, I'll just buy a ****ing goat to naw away at them. :rockon:

DaKCMan AP
06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
I already said buy a cow.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh hell yeah and while I'm at it, I'll just buy a ****ing goat to naw away at them. :rockon:

ROFL This is high quality right here. I'm glad to have played a part in it.

greg63
06-29-2006, 11:36 AM

...Eats the weeds and fertilizes the lawn.

Always a Chief fan
06-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks Lzen.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 12:28 PM

youd be better of w/a goat. goats will eat the roots, cattle just bite the tops off.