PDA

View Full Version : This is incredible...Identity theft and the Police

oldandslow
06-29-2006, 07:49 AM
ID Theft Has Woman Looking In The Rear View Mirror

POSTED: 8:57 am PDT June 28, 2006
UPDATED: 9:24 am PDT June 28, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Franciscan Stancy Nesby is living the nightmare of identity theft. But it has nothing to do with credit card companies, bank accounts or a corporate database. It has to do with five local police departments. Every time Nesby looks in the rear view mirror, she can't help but wonder if she's about to be pulled over.

"Everybody needs to put themselves in my shoes and know that this could happen to them," she said. "It's made it hard for me to really smile and be the normal person that I felt like I was at first."

A 30-year-old single mom with four kids who holds two jobs working as a nurses assistant, life was hard enough before her problems with police. Nesby's woes began four years ago she was pulled over for speeding in the Bay Area.

She admits she was speeding, but she couldn't understand why she was being arrested.

"I ended up going to jail that day," Nesby said. "They didn't believe anything I was saying."

It turned out Nesby had a warrant for her arrest. The police database showed she'd been busted for cocaine possession in San Francisco's Tenderloin District back in 1999, but had never showed up for her court appearances.

Nesby spent three days in jail. The only problem was she was innocent.Police later confirmed it when her fingerprints didn't match the real suspect who had used Nesby's name.

She said police told her they'd fix the problem. But two months later, Nesby was arrested again, this time at her home in Berkeley.Once again, she said when the officers discovered the error; they told her they'd help her clear her name. But three months later, Nesby was arrested again in yet another jurisdiction. And it didn't end there. From 2002 to 2004, Nesby was arrested seven times by five different police departments including being hauled off right in front of her terrified children."

The kids were crying and basically they ended up throwing me on the ground," she said. "Sticking their knees in my back.

"Every time, Nesby said authorities promised to fix the problem, but didn't."Maybe it's just because that I'm not a rich person that they feel like I'm nobody," he said. "But I am somebody. I have feelings and I don't feel like they should ruin people's lives like this."

Nesby has filed a lawsuit against San Francisco, claiming false Imprisonment and emotional distress after failing to remove her arrest warrant from state databases.

Her attorney says the case is clear cut.

"You think you've seen so many cases that you're jaded to what you're going to see," said former San Francisco Supervisor Matt Gonzalez who now represents Nesby. "But this one still hits you at a very kinda visceral level. You just look at it and say this is not right."

The city said it was not responsible for correcting faulty arrest warrants.

Gonzalez said he'll appeal to the state supreme court if necessary.

"Bureaucracies don't change because people wake up and want to make them more efficient, they generally change because they're forced to take responsibility for something they shouldn't be doing," he said.

Even though a judge dismissed her lawsuit, the court asked the SF District Attorney to remove the warrant from the database which finally cleared her name.

Still she can't help looking in the rear view mirror.

ct
06-29-2006, 10:34 AM
That's f-ed up! If ever there is a case I support somebody taking legal action, this is it.

stevieray
06-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Are our identities bening reudced to whatever a machine says it is?

Probably more than we think.

oldandslow
06-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Just think...

Now that police don't have to knock, they can bust down the door of her home, tear up her place, send her kids off to foster care, or perhaps even shoot her if she happens to want to defend herself.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Just think...

Now that police don't have to knock, they can bust down the door of her home, tear up her place, send her kids off to foster care, or perhaps even shoot her if she happens to want to defend herself.

"We're sorry, it was a computer glitch. It won't happen again. We promise."

Cochise
06-29-2006, 11:31 AM
A 30-year-old single mom with four kids [says] life was hard enough before her problems with police.

Um... stop f*cking?

the Talking Can
06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Just think...

yup

Pitt Gorilla
06-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Just think...

Now that police don't have to knock, they can bust down the door of her home, tear up her place, send her kids off to foster care, or perhaps even shoot her if she happens to want to defend herself.Absolutely. And, of course, many on here support that "right."

Earthling
06-29-2006, 02:11 PM
A judge dismissed her lawsuit.... :hmmm: Pretty sorry.

unlurking
06-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Um... stop f*cking?
Um... You know for a fact she didn't have a husband that died?