06-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Is it really worth doing on chest day?

jiveturkey
06-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Yes

It helps to even out the man boobs.

CanadianChief
06-29-2006, 08:58 AM
I like going flat, incline, and decline. A healthy balance!!!

Tribal Warfare
06-29-2006, 09:03 AM

yes, because it stimulates 80-90 percent of the muscle fibers in comparison to 60-75 percent to flat bench

jiveturkey
06-29-2006, 09:03 AM
I avoid the decline because I don't want to build up the base of the man boob.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 09:15 AM
pull overs on back day or chest day or both?

seeming to have a hardtime iso on my lats.

cookster50
06-29-2006, 09:26 AM

back

Demonpenz
06-29-2006, 09:45 AM
make sure someone spots you until faluire on that last set then scoop in some tuna or eggs to build that muscle

sedated
06-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I don't buy this whole switching days bullsh!t.

If you want to work something, just work it. People that have physical jobs do that stuff every day, don't say "I lifted a couch yesterday, I shouldn't today". And they are usually built.

My schedule is so sporatic, I can't keep track of this sh!t anyway.

jidar
06-29-2006, 09:48 AM

If you want to work something, just work it. People that have physical jobs do that stuff every day, don't say "I lifted a couch yesterday, I shouldn't today". And they are usually built.

Yeah really, it's not like we don't have decades of research and experience in bodybuilding to go off of. Lets just stick with our anecdotal evidence.

RockChalk
06-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Incline bench needs to be done. I do both flat and incline on chest days, as well as chest pulls (lying on back). Really want to go nuts on the incline, do an incline pyramid 10 reps at (weight #1, weight #2, weight #3, weight #2, weight #1).

eazyb81
06-29-2006, 09:56 AM
If I had to choose one, I would choose incline bench over flat bench. I think flat bench is way overrated, incline works it better and gives you better results IMO. I actually don't do flat bench at all anymore, and have seen great results using incline bench as my core chest workout.

KCTitus
06-29-2006, 09:58 AM
What degree of incline is optimal or does it matter as long as you're not flat on your back?

I do some bench excercises for my chest but would really like to fix the ol' man boobs.

cookster50
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
What degree of incline is optimal or does it matter as long as you're not flat on your back?

I do some bench excercises for my chest but would really like to fix the ol' man boobs.
Wear a bro.

sedated
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah really, it's not like we don't have decades of research and experience in bodybuilding to go off of. Lets just stick with our anecdotal evidence.

so, could you please explain why it is so important to take days off/alternate?

sedated
06-29-2006, 10:01 AM

I hear anything above 30 degrees

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
If I had to choose one, I would choose incline bench over flat bench. I think flat bench is way overrated, incline works it better and gives you better results IMO. I actually don't do flat bench at all anymore, and have seen great results using incline bench as my core chest workout.

I do both but think incline is more critical.

Use dumbbells instead of barbells and you will be able to lift for a very long time. All the old school barbell guys don't lift anymore because they have bad shoulders.

Radar Chief

“Work” and a “work out” are two totally different things.
If you want to build muscle mass, you have to allow time for your muscles to rebuild after a work out.

cadmonkey
only doing flat bensh is usless unless you are entering a benching compatition. Incline gives you the actual chest definition that people look for. Doing only flat bench gives your chest the appearance of having boobs.

Radar Chief
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
I do both but think incline is more critical.

Use dumbbells instead of barbells and you will be able to lift for a very long time. All the old school barbell guys don't lift anymore because they have bad shoulders.

:redface: That’s why I don’t mess with the incline much and military press is completely out of the question.

eazyb81
06-29-2006, 10:06 AM

I'm not sure if there's actually an optimal degree of incline, just make sure that you keep it low enough so that you are still focusing on your chest and not your shoulders. Personally, I change it up so I hit slightly different areas rather than hitting one specific area each time. If you do incline you really don't need to do an extreme incline, just enough so that you're not flat on your back.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 10:06 AM
make sure someone spots you until faluire on that last set then scoop in some tuna or eggs to build that muscle

no spot-but the only thing id need a spotter for is bench(but i only do 4x8 190#). The rest i can go till failure and just throw the bar/dumbell on the ground.

eazyb81
06-29-2006, 10:08 AM
:redface: That’s why I don’t mess with the incline much and military press is completely out of the question.

What do you do for shoulders? Dumbbell presses? I use military press as my core shoulder workout, but i've never had rotator cuff problems (so far) so it hasn't bothered me yet. Maybe I should switch....

Radar Chief
06-29-2006, 10:13 AM
What do you do for shoulders? Dumbbell presses? I use military press as my core shoulder workout, but i've never had rotator cuff problems (so far) so it hasn't bothered me yet. Maybe I should switch....

I don’t know what it’s called but I take two dumbbells, while standing hold them together with your arms bent 90 deg. Now lift your elbows and turn your hands down like your pouring two pitchers of water on the ground. Lift your elbows above your shoulders when doing it.
It takes a little bit to get the technique, but when you do you can really feel it in your shoulders.

stevieray
06-29-2006, 10:17 AM
butterflies

Cave Johnson
06-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Wear a bro.

No, dammi!! It's manziere.

ChiefsOne
06-29-2006, 10:46 AM

Still have that lat maching for you.

greg63
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
No, dammi!! It's manziere.

Eh, I'm only about a "B" cup; so I don't wear 'em.

ChiefsOne
06-29-2006, 10:52 AM

Incline is a necessity. Use dumbbells and you will feel it better after flat bench. If you want to alternate from flat, do bar incline then dumbell bench.

Incline stay around 30-35° other wise you are using your delts too much.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Still have that lat maching for you.

how much for just the lat machine????:)

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Incline is a necessity. Use dumbbells and you will feel it better after flat bench. If you want to alternate from flat, do bar incline then dumbell bench.

Incline stay around 30-35° other wise you are using your delts too much.

i have limited equip. so im doing flat bench,pec flys,incline(super set),dumbbell press(super set)

ChiefsOne
06-29-2006, 11:06 AM
i have limited equip. so im doing flat bench,pec flys,incline(super set),dumbbell press(super set)

That will work, I am just saying change it up a little. If you are doing many sets of each you are over working. You can do that for a short period, but for long or you will defeat the purpose.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
That will work, I am just saying change it up a little. If you are doing many sets of each you are over working. You can do that for a short period, but for long or you will defeat the purpose.

4x8 flat-4x8 pec-12-10-10-8 incline-same for DB press.w/ forced reps at the end of all except flat bench.

ChiefsOne
06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
how much for just the lat machine????:)

Sorry, never mind. It is my step-brothers and he was hot to sell a few months ago. I just called him and he said he was using it now. Wait a few months and he will be ready to sell again.

ChiefsOne
06-29-2006, 11:12 AM
4x8 flat-4x8 pec-12-10-10-8 incline-same for DB press.w/ forced reps at the end of all except flat bench.

Don't do that for long or you will be over training. You can do that for about a month or so then back off and stay in the 10-12 range for your total sets per body part.

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM

That sucks.

CanadianChief
06-29-2006, 11:31 AM

I remember someone telling me that it only takes two sets to break down the muscle to over 95%. Anything above that would be considered overtraining. I'm not sure I buy into that but it works well with my lazy attitude towards training!!!

sedated
06-29-2006, 11:35 AM
overtraining?

I am not familiar with such a concept

HC_Chief
06-29-2006, 11:44 AM

Dumbells are the way to go for everything. You get a much more complete workout and you can't "cheat", as you will with barbells.

Radar Chief
06-29-2006, 12:05 PM
That sucks.

Well, it probably has as much to do with some of the crap I had to do in the Army as work’n out with a bar, though.

I WILL exercise my right to exercise your body. You’ll be push’n ground ‘till I reach muscle failure.

ROFL

ChiefsOne
06-29-2006, 12:58 PM
overtraining?

I am not familiar with such a concept

Overtraining occurs when a bodybuilder (anyone lifting) has trained to the point where his workload exceeds his recovery capacity. There are many reasons that overtraining occurs, including lack of adequate nutrition, lack of recovery time between workouts, insufficient sleep, and training at a high intensity for too long.

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
I remember someone telling me that it only takes two sets to break down the muscle to over 95%. Anything above that would be considered overtraining. I'm not sure I buy into that but it works well with my lazy attitude towards training!!!

ROFL

You didn't hear that here did you? Some of the worst workout advice I have ever seen was posted right here. That rates right up there.

Demonpenz
06-29-2006, 01:06 PM
i want to get a squat rack and set it up outside and get some pit bulls and tie a leash to the rack so i can squat and they can just bark at everyone and growl. THat would be pretty metal

RockChalk
06-29-2006, 01:14 PM
i want to get a squat rack and set it up outside and get some pit bulls and tie a leash to the rack so i can squat and they can just bark at everyone and growl. THat would be pretty metal
ROFL

Inspector
06-29-2006, 01:20 PM
What about push-ups?

Are they any good?

I do about 45 a day, about 4-5 days a week.

I have had rotator cuff surgery (10 years ago) and both shoulders have been dislocated.

I'm not in that bad of shape, just old. But I still do my push-ups. Just wondering if those are screwing me up or not. And yes, I do them properly.

HC_Chief
06-29-2006, 01:25 PM
What about push-ups?

Are they any good?

Hell yes they are good.

Tribal Warfare
06-29-2006, 01:47 PM

30 degrees and raise the incline after each set

Inspector
06-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Hell yes they are good.

Cool.

I'll keep doing them.

Maybe I will start sniffing those dry erase markers too. I've heard they smell real good.