PDA

View Full Version : Rand: don't let Johnson get carried away

Wile_E_Coyote
06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/A1C349A690174B35AD84062F4C383DA6.JPG?0.15556060791427573

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/06/29/rand_dont_let_johnson_get_carried_away/

Larry Johnson changed his jersey number from 34 to 27 after his rookie season. If NFL rules permitted, Johnson could replace his number with a bullís-eye to remind himself heíll be the primary target of every defense the Chiefs face this season.

Tune into your favorite sports station, log on to an NFL web site, read publications covering the NFL or talk to a fantasy footballer and what you get is all-LJ, all the time. Johnson just may be the most visible NFL star who hasnít fallen off a motorcycle.

Chiefsí opponents wonít need to see any more Johnson highlights to know heís the main man they have to stop. Not only did he finish 2005 with nine straight 100-yard games, but coach Herman Edwards says plans to run the ball even more to keep his defense, still a work in progress, off the field.

The Chiefs have, amazingly, been able to replace Priest Holmes, one of the NFLís elite backs, with another elite back. But the supply of these fellas is not endless and it would tremendously benefit the Chiefs to get Johnson a longer heyday than Holmes enjoyed.

Edwards would be better off trying to manage Johnsonís workload than letting him fixate on topping 2,000 yards. Johnson, 26, is the Chiefsí only offensive star under 30 and they canít afford to use him up before his time.

Holmes was 27 when he signed with the Chiefs as a free agent and was an immediate sensation as he rushed for 1,555 yards and eight touchdowns in 2001. But he had 327 carries and 62 catches, which
meant an average of 24 chances a game to get his bell rung or knees rattled. And while that may not seem like an overbearing workload, tell that to a running back when heís trying to get out of bed Monday morning.

Though Johnson didnít become the Chiefsí starter last year until the eighth game, he totaled 336 carries, just 34 fewer than league leader Shaun Alexander of Seattle and more carries than Holmes has totaled in a season. That kind of workload over a full season could run Johnson into the ground, especially since the Chiefs have lost fullback Tony Richardson, their exceptional lead blocker.

It didnít take long for Holmesí heavy workload to make a lot of Chiefs-watchers nervous, especially when he suffered a hip injury late in 2002. That injury was enough of a threat to his career that the Chiefs drafted Johnson rather than fill a glaring defensive need.

Holmes bounced back in 2003 to complete one of the best three-year stretches for any running back in NFL history. But he hasnít lasted more than half a season since, and the Chiefs still donít know if heíll be able to return from his spinal injury.

Holmesí return would give the Chiefs a top-notch backup to Johnson and create a situation that would help both stay healthy. That probably would leave them both unhappy, but running backs often need protection from themselves.

Running backs donít like to leave carries on the table. They figure itís their job to run the ball, and they know theyíll be measured by their yardage. The younger backs feel indestructible and most backs consider it a sign of weakness to ask for a lighter workload. Besides, who wants to give a reserve the chance to step in and take his job?

So it should have come as no surprise when Holmes declared he didnít want a lighter workload, even as Johnson stewed on the bench. And Johnson, after waiting impatiently for more than two seasons to start, isnít going to be requesting any rest after running for 1,750 yards, a Chiefs single-season record, and 20 touchdowns.

Johnson, however, takes plenty of punishment. At 6 feet, 1 and 230, heís four inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than Holmes, but heís often just as happy to run over a defender as around him. That running style eventually will take its toll.

Thatís why the Chiefs better have a backup they can trust for eight to 10 carries a game. And why Holmes, if healthy, can still play an awfully important role.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-29-2006, 11:42 AM
hope he comes back. great goaline jumper. blocker.

el borracho
06-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Any one of us could have written that article. Oh, well. At least it is Chiefs related.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Any one of us could have written that article. Oh, well. At least it is Chiefs related.

As a matter of fact you are correct in this observation. My 7 year old son was telling me yesterday this very fact about Johnson. I am glad Gretz is also seeing the obvious.

ck_IN
06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
I hope the Chiefs draft his backup next year. King Pink is gone from KC as soon as he gets the chance. Management needs to view him as strictly a temporary solution.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
& I thought I needed to add the link, because some would think it came from the KCStar :)

ChiefsfaninPA
06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
I hope the Chiefs draft his backup next year. King Pink is gone from KC as soon as he gets the chance. Management needs to view him as strictly a temporary solution.

This is crazy talk plain and simple.

ck_IN
06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
<i>This is crazy talk plain and simple.</i>

How do you figure that? King Pink is doing his level best to establish his thug cred in the media. He appears to be positioning himself for endorsements where he could use that cred. Thug cred in KC doesn't carry nearly the weight that thug cred in NY or LA or Chicago has. Not to mention that there's probably still some bad blood between him and management.

It wouldn't surprise me at all when he becomes a FA that he tells CP to stfu and he takes a walk to NY or Oakland or whatever team is in LA by then. I doubt he has any intention of staying in KC. At least he's not acting it.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-29-2006, 12:05 PM
yet they took his father's advice on their first round choice

ChiefsfaninPA
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
This is crazy talk plain and simple.

How do you figure that? King Pink is doing his level best to establish his thug cred in the media. He appears to be positioning himself for endorsements where he could use that cred. Thug cred in KC doesn't carry nearly the weight that thug cred in NY or LA or Chicago has. Not to mention that there's probably still some bad blood between him and management.

No matter what his relations with management are at the time of his renewal, he will go to whoever is going to pay him. Whether he has a thuggish attitude or not, he will want paid. For all that is said about his attitude, I have only seen positives come from him. I think the local media paints him like that because it sells. He might have had a chip on his shoulder. Wouldn't you if you were capable of being one of the best backs in the league and never getting any burn? That would piss me off also. As long as he keeps running Mofo's over I could care less about his street cred or media created problems.

pr_capone
06-29-2006, 12:26 PM
King Pink? Whats up with that nickname?

ChiefsfaninPA
06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
King Pink? Whats up with that nickname?

For all of the time he spends in white women.

Brock
06-29-2006, 12:29 PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all when he becomes a FA that he tells CP to stfu and he takes a walk to NY or Oakland or whatever team is in LA by then. I doubt he has any intention of staying in KC. At least he's not acting it.

There is no truth whatsoever to what you're saying.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 12:30 PM

That's not crazy talk.

That's stupid talk.

ck_IN
06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
<i>There is no truth whatsoever to what you're saying.</i>

Fine you guys have all the answers. Great. All I know is I was reading an interview of him last night and he had all the earmarks of a person marking time until he finds the exit.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 12:35 PM

Fine you guys have all the answers. Great. All I know is I was reading an interview of him last night and he had all the earmarks of a person marking time until he finds the exit.

Like?

I've heard probably 50 interviews since the end of the season. I've heard a guy that:

1) hates Vermeil
2) doesn't much like Al Saunders
3) likes Carl Peterson
4) wants to be the best RB in the league

The thug comments and such are way off base.

Brock
06-29-2006, 12:35 PM

I doubt you've read anything that anyone else here hasn't read. I'm sorry, but you still carry the stink of "Trent Green is average".

ChiefsfaninPA
06-29-2006, 12:39 PM
It sounds to me ck_Out that you have a hate for #27. What did he ever do to you?

KCTitus
06-29-2006, 12:56 PM
ck_in must be a premium member to get that kind of inside info...

Demonpenz
06-29-2006, 12:58 PM
He lost any cred he had by getting owned by scott fujita

ck_IN
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
ChiefsfaninPA I have no hate for anyone except maybe for the guy that made Titanic. I'm strictly making an observation based on comments and interviews I've read. LJ seems intent on establishing himself as some football cross between P Diddy and Tupac. He also doesn't put out the image of anyone putting down roots. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, then so be it.

Brock, Trent is better then I gave him credit for. He's not as good as you give him credit for. The Chiefs have won zilch since he's been here. Most of that is on the D. He's tossed away more then one game with his stupid play though. I'd rate Green in the upper third or so of QB's. No higher.

Rooster
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
I still need help with the whole 'King Pink' thing. What does white women have to do with it? Feel free to draw a picture.

ck_IN
06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
King Pink is the nickname a bouncer or bartender or club owner (I forget which) in KC gave LJ because he seems to go exclusively for white women.

MVChiefFan
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
L. Johnson hasn't fired off a negative comment since Vermeil and Saunders left, except towards them. And besides, when people start talking about people leaving they forget one thing, this isn't the Royals we're talking about. We WILL have the money to pay him and we WILL franchise tag him if he wants to put up a struggle. Simple as that.

FAX
06-29-2006, 01:05 PM
If you have any humanity in your collective souls, please, and for God's sake, resist drawing a picture for Mr. Rooster.

As far as LJ is concerned, I have to agree partially with Mr. ck_IN. It is my belief that LJ will drive a hard bargain with the Chiefs when contract time arrives. I think it's likely that he would be happier in a larger city. Partially because of his affinity for the hip hop lifestyle and partially because the way his career started here. DV may have left a taste in his mouth he cannot expectorate.

On the other hand, it will likely boil down to his performance between now and then as well as his success. I hope, of course, that he is hugely successful and wants to stay.

But, what do I know? I'm still working on that whole tomato family problem.

FAX

beer bacon
06-29-2006, 01:05 PM

Are you from Johnson County by any chance?

Rooster
06-29-2006, 01:09 PM
King Pink is the nickname a bouncer or bartender or club owner (I forget which) in KC gave LJ because he seems to go exclusively for white women.

Got it.. Thanks.

Inspector
06-29-2006, 02:05 PM

It has been my experience that the "pink" part of this terminology could be applicable to the 'not mentioned' parts in any ethnic heritage.

Or, in other words, it's all pink on the inside.

el borracho
06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
#1. LJ will play for us as long as we want him. Yes, he will demand a high salary. Yes, the Chiefs will pay him or franchise him if necessary.

#2. LJ can live in whichever city he likes for eight months of the year (just like Gonzalez) and still play in KC. Even with his rookie contract he can easily afford to keep two houses in two different cities.

R&GHomer
06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
For all of the time he spends in white women.
:lame:

ck_IN
06-29-2006, 02:22 PM
<i>It is my belief that LJ will drive a hard bargain with the Chiefs when contract time arrives. I think it's likely that he would be happier in a larger city. Partially because of his affinity for the hip hop lifestyle and partially because the way his career started here. DV may have left a taste in his mouth he cannot expectorate.</i>

Halle-Freaking-lujah, somebody gets it! LJ isn't Priest or Trent. He doesn't seem interested in the midwest lifestyle. He seems like he's marking time until he can make a move to NY, or LA or someplace similiar. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression he puts out.

Sure we can franchise him but for how long? I think a tagged player has to be given a 1yr at the average of the top 5 at his position and then if tagged the next year he gets a 5 or 10% bump from the previous year. The numbers may be wrong but you get the idea. Come FA time LJ may indeed stay here. But he's going to want to break the bank to do it. And that doesn't even bring in the question of his attitude should he be tagged.

I'm not a hater. I don't want LJ gone. I have no major problem with Herm so put away all that nonsense. I'm just saying what's pretty obvious to anyone who cares to see it.

ck_IN
06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
<i>that the "pink" part of this terminology could be applicable to the 'not mentioned' parts</i>

I didn't make up the name so I won't comment on it's exact meaning. What I said about the bouncer, bartender, etc is what was in the paper.

KCTitus
06-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Halle-Freaking-lujah, somebody gets it! LJ isn't Priest or Trent...

I dont know about Trent, but he got a 7 yr 49M after his first contract came up. Wasn't Priest the one chanting 'I want to get paid' when his initial contract was up and got a huge contract? Doesnt he still live in Texas and workout there instead of Arrowhead?

Money seems to soothe those problems.

el borracho
06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
I dont know about Trent, but he got a 7 yr 49M after his first contract came up. Wasn't Priest the one chanting 'I want to get paid' when his initial contract was up and got a huge contract? Doesnt he still live in Texas and workout there instead of Arrowhead?

Money seems to soothe those problems.
You just don't get it, Titus. We are going to lose LJ the same way we lost Tony Gonzalez! What a sad, sad day! :deevee:

FAX
06-29-2006, 02:35 PM
You gentlemen are brutal on this subject. It's like a DC thread or something. Perhaps we can approach the discussion this way.

Let's say that you are a talented running back and let's say that you were treated the way DV treated LJ (granted, some people called that good coaching) and let's say that you given an opportunity to go somewhere to start fresh with a team and people who appreciated you from the gitgo, would you not entertain the idea?

FAX

Inspector
06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
<i>that the "pink" part of this terminology could be applicable to the 'not mentioned' parts</i>

I didn't make up the name so I won't comment on it's exact meaning. What I said about the bouncer, bartender, etc is what was in the paper.

Not doing very well at explaining myself...

My actual point was....

uh........

ok, maybe I didn't have a point...

Oh wait, now I remember. The point is, the racial makeup of the female in question would not be relevant to the interior colors.

I should probably stay away from points anyway. I could fall and poke my eye out.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 02:42 PM
You gentlemen are brutal on this subject. It's like a DC thread or something. Perhaps we can approach the discussion this way.

Let's say that you are a talented running back and let's say that you were treated the way DV treated LJ (granted, some people called that good coaching) and let's say that you given an opportunity to go somewhere to start fresh with a team and people who appreciated you from the gitgo, would you not entertain the idea?

FAX

Of course everyone knows he runs with a chip on his shoulder, I think it all depends on how much he credits that chip to the Chiefs organization, and whether or not he realizes that being in a situation he doesn't like that much may be beneficial to his own performance.

Moooo

Moooo
06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Oh wait, now I remember. The point is, the racial makeup of the female in question would not be relevant to the interior colors.

Translated: It's all pink on the inside.

Moooo

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 02:45 PM

FAX

1) Vermeil treated him that way, not the Chiefs. Vermeil is GONE.

2) Carl is not gonna low-ball him. Carl has never skimped when it comes to signing HIS guys. LJ is probably more of a Carl guy than anyone else on the team.

Inspector
06-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Translated: It's all pink on the inside.

Moooo

Now, see???

I should have thought of that! :banghead:

Excellent.

(pink is quickly becoming my favorite color)

FAX
06-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Of course everyone knows he runs with a chip on his shoulder, I think it all depends on how much he credits that chip to the Chiefs organization, and whether or not he realizes that being in a situation he doesn't like that much may be beneficial to his own performance.

Moooo

Good point, Mr. Moooo (sp?).

That's another thing that's getting sort of strange now that you mention it.

There are lots of ways to motivate someone who possesses the capacity for motivation. Even those who lack the capacity if you're willing to burn down their house or something.

But, if I were a guy whose reputation was that all you had to do to motivate me was piss me off, I'd get pretty tired of it. Think about it. All your life, people would be trying to piss you off. That would get a little old, too.

FAX

Lzen
06-29-2006, 02:52 PM

FAX

I'm sure you would definitlely consider going somewhere else. Of course, the Chiefs will franchise him if it comes down to that anyways so I think the point is moot. And I also think money changes attitudes on these things a lot of times.

FAX
06-29-2006, 02:53 PM
1) Vermeil treated him that way, not the Chiefs. Vermeil is GONE.

That's a distinction that I'm a little fuzzy on, Mr. htismaqe. And, since I lack any knowledge whatsoever as to CP's relationship with LJ, I will certainly defer to your judgement on the subject.

Maybe all LJ needs to see are the bus tracks on DV's back and he's all good. I hope so.

FAX

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
That's a distinction that I'm a little fuzzy on, Mr. htismaqe. And, since I lack any knowledge whatsoever as to CP's relationship with LJ, I will certainly defer to your judgement on the subject.

Maybe all LJ needs to see are the bus tracks on DV's back and he's all good. I hope so.

FAX

It's a matter of public record. Larry has said it in interviews, Carl has said it in interviews. And of course, there's always the pics of the two of them hugging on the sidelines.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Keep in mind CP was the guy who wanted to draft LJ, if I'm not mistaken. So in that sense, maybe LJ appreciates him.

If you have LJs personality, he probably wonders why he wasn't top 10. In that case he may appreciate Carl for being one of the only ones to take a chance on him...

Though I could be HORRIBLY wrong.

Moooo

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Keep in mind CP was the guy who wanted to draft LJ, if I'm not mistaken. So in that sense, maybe LJ appreciates him.

If you have LJs personality, he probably wonders why he wasn't top 10. In that case he may appreciate Carl for being one of the only ones to take a chance on him...

Though I could be HORRIBLY wrong.

Moooo

Nope, Larry has talked about just that in interviews.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Nope, Larry has talked about just that in interviews.

Please elaborate, I'm dumb like that.

Moooo

FAX
06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm sure you would definitlely consider going somewhere else. Of course, the Chiefs will franchise him if it comes down to that anyways so I think the point is moot. And I also think money changes attitudes on these things a lot of times.

Agreed, Mr. Lzen. The franchise tag and/or an attractive contract are both means to accomplishing the preferred result.

I suppose the bottom line is LJ's future performance. If he is as successful as we all hope he will be, the point will certainly be moot, as you say. If not, it won't really matter anyway.

The most important point is that moot is a cool word that would sound good in a rap song. "Yo b*tch! Show me your cooter or I'll cap you mooter!"

FAX

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Please elaborate, I'm dumb like that.

Moooo

That he resents Vermeil for publically saying that he wanted Tyler Brayton. That he appreciates Carl for taking a chance on him and sticking up for him during the bad times. He really likes Carl and Carl is on very good terms with Larry Sr. as well.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
That he resents Vermeil for publically saying that he wanted Tyler Brayton. That he appreciates Carl for taking a chance on him and sticking up for him during the bad times. He really likes Carl and Carl is on very good terms with Larry Sr. as well.

Thank you, sir.

Moooo

Lzen
06-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Agreed, Mr. Lzen. The franchise tag and/or an attractive contract are both means to accomplishing the preferred result.

I suppose the bottom line is LJ's future performance. If he is as successful as we all hope he will be, the point will certainly be moot, as you say. If not, it won't really matter anyway.

The most important point is that moot is a cool word that would sound good in a rap song. "Yo b*tch! Show me your cooter or I'll cap you mooter!"

FAX

Holy crap! I can't believe you said that. ROFL

Rooster
06-29-2006, 03:18 PM

I also think the fact that Herm said Larry is the starting back from day one was a smart move. It told LJ that the Vermeil era was officially over and the backfield belongs to LJ.

jspchief
06-29-2006, 03:28 PM
IMO, LJ is going to want a hell of a lot of money. I have a feeling he's going to demand his "respect" via the size of his contract.

I also think he's going to want it soon, possibly next year. The Chiefs are at an advantage in that he's still under contract, but that contract won't force him onto the field. Like htis said, Carl isn't known to be cheap with our studs (especially the ones that are "his" picks).

If he keeps playing at this level, he's going to want a raise, and he'll deserve it. if the Chiefs are smart, they'll work fast to get it done. Otherwise I could see it getting ugly. His past problems may have been Vermeil, but I wouldn't be suprised if he still holds a grudge against the team.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-30-2006, 01:48 AM
LJ: "Carl Peterson & I are joined at the hip."

Hog Farmer
06-30-2006, 06:35 AM
I predict LJ will be a Chief for a long, long time.
Carl will not let him get away.
Carl and LJ are on the best of terms.
Herm is a players coach and he already has LJ in his hip pocket.

LJ will demand his pay, but he will deserve it. His contract will be redone in the 4th qtr of this season after LJ proves he is the man.

Just my thoughts.