PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating and ranking all the NFL owners, from 1-32

Ne14a40
06-29-2006, 05:14 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/06/29/open.mike/index.html

Here is the part about Hunt:

Keeping it Real
10. Dan Rooney, Steelers; 11. Bob Harlan/John Jones/Green Bay Packers Inc.; 12. Lamar Hunt, Chiefs

Some might argue that Rooney isn't progressive enough, and the Steelers have certainly sacrificed talent over the years because of the bottom line. But you will never hear a discouraging word about Rooney from me. And right now the best of the old-guard owners is the man of the hour. Among the many things for which he deserves credit: Getting a new stadium built without ever having to threaten to move, and keeping ticket prices affordable in the process.

The Packers' ownership situation -- the club has been a publicly owned, nonprofit corporation since 1923 -- is a testament to collective unselfishness and civic commitment. Harlan, an exemplary CEO, will step down next year, with current president Jones as his successor. Coming off a resplendent stadium renovation in the league's only small market, the franchise is cruising, even as the team rebuilds and bids farewell to an icon.

Hunt works hard to generate revenue in a less-attractive market and spends money on players. He also has the self-confidence to give his most powerful employee, Carl Peterson, three high-level titles (president, general manager, CEO), though this owner's last league title came more than 3 decades ago.

tyton75
06-29-2006, 05:17 PM
ouch

Douche Baggins
06-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Lamar should be ranked higher. What he did for the league is unrivaled among AFC owners.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Please tell me Davis was ranked in the lower 20s... PLEASE!!!

And if Jerry Jones is the best owner... I'll throw up.

Moooo

Edited to add, upon seeing there's a link, it occurs to me my closeness on both is scary.

There's no way Jerry Jones is the second best owner.

Moooo

SPchief
06-29-2006, 05:45 PM

Moooo

Edited to add, upon seeing there's a link, it occurs to me my closeness on both is scary.

Moooo

You could, I don't know, uhhh click the link??

Edited to add, Damnit.. didn't see the edit

Hydrae
06-29-2006, 05:50 PM
How in the hell do you rank the Glazers above Lamar? :banghead:

BucEyedPea
06-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Heh! I'm not surprised Kraft tops the list.
I was gonna post that w/o reading the article but got curious.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-29-2006, 05:53 PM

Moooo

Moooo

In Dreamland

25. Al Davis, Raiders

Raiders chief executive Amy Trask says her boss, who turns 77 on the Fourth of July, "is as vital and vibrant as ever." Unfortunately, his franchise is in ICU, with dubious talent and a miserable stadium situation made worse over the years by lawsuits, Davis' aversion to marketing (because, after all, they're the Raiders, and everybody loves them) and an initial miscalculation of a once-rabid fan base's collective fervor. The good news is that Davis cares about nothing besides the Raiders; the myth, however, is that he wants to win at all costs. That fallacy was exposed when Marcus Allen mysteriously disappeared on third downs and in goal-line situations in the early '90s, and it suffered another blow when Davis decided not to try to extend Jon Gruden's contract after the coach led the team to the AFC Championship Game in his third season.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
In Dreamland

25. Al Davis, Raiders

Raiders chief executive Amy Trask says her boss, who turns 77 on the Fourth of July, "is as vital and vibrant as ever." Unfortunately, his franchise is in ICU, with dubious talent and a miserable stadium situation made worse over the years by lawsuits, Davis' aversion to marketing (because, after all, they're the Raiders, and everybody loves them) and an initial miscalculation of a once-rabid fan base's collective fervor. The good news is that Davis cares about nothing besides the Raiders; the myth, however, is that he wants to win at all costs. That fallacy was exposed when Marcus Allen mysteriously disappeared on third downs and in goal-line situations in the early '90s, and it suffered another blow when Davis decided not to try to extend Jon Gruden's contract after the coach led the team to the AFC Championship Game in his third season.

He's the prime example of a power-hungry owner. He's no different than Jerry Jones in personality, only judgement.

Moooo

hypersensitiveZO6
06-29-2006, 06:45 PM
That's BS. Lamar kicks noob owners asses!

Logical
06-30-2006, 06:53 PM

Moooo

MooooI am thinking Super Bowls won is high in the ranking methodology.

Bugeater
06-30-2006, 07:17 PM
when Davis decided not to try to extend Jon Gruden's contract after the coach led the team to the AFC Championship Game in his third season.

1998-2001=3 yrs?

Logical
06-30-2006, 07:24 PM
I am thinking Super Bowls won is high in the ranking methodology.Well maybe not I see 3 is Dan Snyder

mlyonsd
06-30-2006, 07:34 PM
I am thinking Super Bowls won is high in the ranking methodology.

Probably depends on who is rating it. I see fans rating it different than owners.

A fan could easily use number of SB wins as the measuring stick.

An owner might use cost per SB. The owners probably all have that one dollar inside bet like the Eddie Murphy movie. Can't recall the name right now but it had the two old guys betting on Eddie making it if they gave him a chance.

4th and Long
06-30-2006, 07:55 PM
25. Al Davis, Raiders

Raiders chief executive Amy Trask says her boss, who turns 77 on the Fourth of July, "is as vital and vibrant as ever."
Oh really?

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/3907/112626342308697li.jpg

Logical
06-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Probably depends on who is rating it. I see fans rating it different than owners.

A fan could easily use number of SB wins as the measuring stick.

An owner might use cost per SB. The owners probably all have that one dollar inside bet like the Eddie Murphy movie. Can't recall the name right now but it had the two old guys betting on Eddie making it if they gave him a chance.I think it was Trading Places, a good flick.

morphius
06-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Middle of the pack seems reasonably fair. Lamar has done a lot for KC, but we did have the previous GM for too many years and his loyalty to Carl has probably hurt his ranking as well. When you are not winning championships, much less really competing for them, and not making changes it is easy to see how people judging him would guess that he isn't involved enough.

mlyonsd
06-30-2006, 08:17 PM
I think it was Trading Places, a good flick.

Bingo. When I think of the old AFL I imagine those kinds of guys.