PDA

View Full Version : Shogun. The mini series

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 10:34 PM
10 hours long and it dumbfounds me as to how much they have left out of this. The treachary and constant plotting by the Japanese samurai is what really makes this story so good. Take the time and read the books. Don't waste your time watching this 26 year old movie..........nevermind. If you were going to, you probably would have done it already. :D

Deberg_1990
06-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I watched it years and years ago back in the early 80s as a kid and i remember really loving it. I havent seen it since but i can imagine that it probably hasnt aged well???

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I watched it years and years ago back in the early 80s as a kid and i remember really loving it. I havent seen it since but i can imagine that it probably hasnt aged well???

In my opinion the only thing all of the special fx do these days is make mediocre movies good. A good story is going to be good no matter when the movie is made. And this movie is good, it's just not great because IMO the best part of the story is left out. Understandably so, since it's hard to project thought onto the big screen. My other major bitch about this movie is that there are no subtitles for all the Japanese conversation. So unless you are bilingual, you won't know half of what's being said. All that said, I enjoyed it. Only because I read the books though.

Frazod
06-29-2006, 11:47 PM
The only think I remember about it is when they cut the live lobster in half and put one moving half on one guy's plate and one moving half on the other guy's plate.

Ick. :spock:

Miles
06-30-2006, 12:22 AM

I watched it a little while back and thought it had aged very well for what it is. The new DVD set has a pretty sharp image which helps.

I hadn't seen it before and have never read the book but I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Fishpicker
06-30-2006, 02:18 AM
10 hours long and it dumbfounds me as to how much they have left out of this. The treachary and constant plotting by the Japanese samurai is what really makes this story so good. Take the time and read the books. Don't waste your time watching this 26 year old movie..........nevermind. If you were going to, you probably would have done it already. :D

very true. the TV mini series just doesnt even compare to the book. I reccomend "Gai-jin" by the same author. its not really a sequel (it takes place at the end of the Toranaga sic Tokugawa shogunate) but it's just as good if not better.

Miles
06-30-2006, 02:22 AM
very true. the TV mini series just doesnt even compare to the book. I reccomend "Gai-jin" by the same author. its not really a sequel (it takes place at the end of the Toranaga sic Tokugawa shogunate) but it's just as good if not better.

I have been meaning to read some more James Clavell. King Rat was a damn good book.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 02:22 AM

I will DEFINATELY pick this up. I didn't even know it existed. Thanks for the tip. Shogun is definately in my top 10 favs.