PDA

View Full Version : Good news! Jose Canseco on the comeback trail

shaneo69
06-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Canseco signs with Surf Dawgs

UNION-TRIBUNE, 6:06 p.m. June 29, 2006

Former major league slugger Jose Canseco has signed with the San Diego Surf Dawgs baseball team.

Canseco's first game with the Surf Dawgs – who play in the independent Class A Golden Baseball League – will be Saturday night in Chico against the Outlaws. His first home game will be July 7 against Chico at 7:05 p.m. at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

Canseco – who will turn 42 on Sunday – is signed through the remainder of the GBL season. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

His revelations about steroid use in the majors – including his own use of them – in his 2005 book “Juiced” helped spur Congress to hold hearings on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, which led to a stronger drug-testing policy by Major League Baseball.

Canseco last played in the majors in 2001, with the Chicago White Sox. In 17 seasons, he batted 266 with 462 home runs and 1,407 RBI. He was the 1986 Rookie of the Year for Oakland A's and the American League MVP in 1988 when he became the first major leaguer to have 40 home runs and 40 stolen bases in the same season.

This will be Canseco's return to professional baseball; although he has been playing in recreational leagues since his retirement, he has not played in the minors.

Ronnie Singh, media director of the Surf Dawgs, said the team contacted Canseco recently to judge his interest in playing for them.

“We just attempted to contact him a couple of days ago,” said Singh, who said negotiations moved along rapidly. “He can't wait to get started.”

Canseco's first home game at Tony Gwynn Stadium also will mark the return of Rickey Henderson, who Singh said is expected to be on hand for the ring ceremony to honor last year's GBL championship.

WilliamTheIrish
06-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Tony will bring him up for the Sept fade...er..run.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 10:09 PM
The only reason he's playing is cause they're independant, and he's probably the biggest draw of the whole team already.

Moooo

shaneo69
06-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Linda Cohn mentioned on SportsCenter that he would be working occasionally as a pitcher, specializing in the knuckleball.

Deberg_1990
06-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Awsome! I cant wait for the Royals to make a run at him!

Frazod
06-29-2006, 10:46 PM
I hope somebody puts a bullet through his head. What a pure piece of shit that guy is. :grr:

Ultra Peanut
06-29-2006, 10:47 PM
**** YEAH

ChiefFan31
06-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Schweet!!!

I hope that jackass gets run outta San Diego. He is not a bright guy...

and Hot Damn he must have some serious debt, even after releasing a book selling out your former teammates and friends :loser:

pr_capone
06-30-2006, 09:19 AM
And to think he used to be my favorite player.

They got you all fooled though, its not Jose but his twin brother Ozzie using his brothers credentials since he had no talent of his own.

(yeh... he really has a twin named Ozzie)

BIG_DADDY
06-30-2006, 09:51 AM
And to think he used to be my favorite player.

They got you all fooled though, its not Jose but his twin brother Ozzie using his brothers credentials since he had no talent of his own.

He's probably just looking for a potential quick buck suing for discrimination because baseball doesn't want his sorry snitchin ass back. I used to like him too. What a pathetic human being he turned out to be.

banyon
06-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Surf Dawgs were the last stop for Rickey Henderson before he figured out to hang it up too.

pr_capone
06-30-2006, 10:01 AM
He's probably just looking for a potential quick buck suing for discrimination because baseball doesn't want his sorry snitchin ass back. I used to like him too. What a pathetic human being he turned out to be.

No kidding.... the first 40/40 man and once a lock for the HOF, now a pariah in the sport he helped make popular in the late 80's.

If this man can be allowed to play proffesional ball, then Pete Rose needs to be let back into the game as well.

pr_capone
06-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Surf Dawgs were the last stop for Rickey Henderson before he figured out to hang it up too.

No need for correction as you are correctly.... erm, correct.

Frazod
06-30-2006, 10:14 AM
It must suck to be him.

shaneo69
07-01-2006, 02:57 PM
It must suck to be him.

Ozzie Canseco actually played 15 games for the Cardinals in '92-'93.

pr_capone
07-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Ozzie Canseco actually played 15 games for the Cardinals in '92-'93.

Yeah, but I can only begin to imagine the manager's and the GM's train of thought.

They are twins right.... identical in almost every way! If Jose can crush the ball.... Ozzie should be able to as well!

Then the experiment died a horrible death.