PDA

View Full Version : So...do I have a "commit a crime" note stuck to my back or something?

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Other than a bike theft a while back, which some of you may remember, I've never had a crime committed against me.

Then last weekend I got the "I'm in labor on your front porch" scam. She didn't get any money from me, but it was kind of weird. No harm, no foul.

Then tonight I left work, and one of my employees was going to give me a ride home. We were walking to her car when we pass this guy standing on the street. It's an area that's mostly parking lots, and since it was about 8:00 there wasn't anyone else around. He didn't seem abnormal or anything, but when we passed him, he said, "Do you value your life?"

I think, "Eh, nutcase" and we ignore him and keep walking. The guy starts walking beside us. He says again, "Do you place a value on your life? I (mumble mumble mumble)".

My coworker is a very petite young woman, and he didn't seem to have a problem with her, but he really disliked me. We kept walking and I didn't have a good feeling about the situation, because this guy was behaving differently than your normal nutcase. I hoped that if we kept walking, he wouldn't do anything. We sped up, and he fell behind us a couple of steps.

Then he says, "I ought to take you out, but I won't. (Mumble, mumble, mumble)"

No eye contact. Keep walking. I told my employee to cross the street and we stepped off the curb to get away from this guy.

"I ought to take you out."

The next thing I know, the guy runs up behind us, and SPLATTO! He'd been carrying a big cup of chicken noodle soup and he nailed me with it. Big cup of soup, one of those 20 oz. ones, and he just soaked me.

I went into defense mode, and he backed off. He was making all kinds of threats, but he wasn't coming forward, and I backed away and pulled my cell phone and called 911. He came toward me, and the 911 lady started to scramble some cops. Suddenly, in a nice coincidence, two transit police came down the street. My employee ran over to them, and the guy took off. The transit cops went after him, but they couldn't catch him.

I guess I got the last laugh, because the guy lost his dinner by throwing it on me. It really makes you think, though; if that guy had had a knife instead of a bowl of soup, I might be posting this from the morgue.

It really makes me think about these types of people. I figured that if I just kept walking, it would defuse the situation, but in doing so, I let him get behind me, and there's no way I could've stopped him if he had attacked with a real weapon. Man. :shake:

Moooo
06-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I guess I got the last laugh, because the guy lost his dinner by throwing it on me.

Your optimistic perspective is nothing short of amazing considering the circumstances...

Moooo

Ari Chi3fs
06-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Probably a Bronco fan... did the cup of soup have vaseline on it, by chance? They cheated the salary cap, you know...

Dude, string of interesting coincidences... I might suspect he might come back... Id get some mace or a pitbull.

Fat Elvis
06-29-2006, 10:57 PM
It was that one "employee" that didn't have his papers in order....

Bwana
06-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Damn Kevin, I'm gald things turned out ok other than a dry cleaning bill. I had something like that happen to me several years ago and ended up having to take the guy out when he reached into his pocket. To this day I have no idea if he was reaching for a gun, a knife, or if he just had a nasty case of crabs and he was scratching himself. After making threats a lot like the ones directed at you tonight, I wasn't going to chance it.

Psyko Tek
06-29-2006, 11:00 PM
got no idea , but mybe you oughta get some renta cops for your parking lot
tain't much but they are something

ChiefFan31
06-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Thats freaky man. There is some very odd people (understated) in this world. You just had some bad timing as far as running across the guy.

Glad he didnt have a knife. You just never know...

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 11:05 PM
It freaks me out more now than when it was happening.

I'm just glad that I was there. If it was just my employee walking alone, who knows what could have happened? She's tiny.

Frazod
06-29-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm thinking he's had enough of your polls.....

ROFL

Bwana
06-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Seriously, you should go down and get a Concealed Weapon Permit. I have had one for 10 years myself.

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm going to be ticked off if my shirt is ruined. It's a really nice powder blue shirt that's made out of some cool space-age material.

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Seriously, you should go down and get a Concealed Weapon Permit. I have had one for 10 years myself.

Do you actually carry one?

I've never felt a need for anything like that before. This was just a weird random thing, but jeez, I guess it only takes one if things go really badly.

I don't see myself carrying a gun, but I might go out and get some pepper spray or something. I thought about buying some a few years back when a dog went after me while I was walking home from work, but I never needed it after that.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 11:12 PM

I've never felt a need for anything like that before. This was just a weird random thing, but jeez, I guess it only takes one if things go really badly.

I don't see myself carrying a gun, but I might go out and get some pepper spray or something. I thought about buying some a few years back when a dog went after me while I was walking home from work, but I never needed it after that.

I could see that being HIGHLY annoying, as pretty much everyplace won't let you take them in there i.e. oil refineries, schools, fireworks stands, gas stations...

Moooo

Frazod
06-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Was this some homeless wino or similar type loser?

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
I could see that being HIGHLY annoying, as pretty much everyplace won't let you take them in there i.e. oil refineries, schools, fireworks stands, gas stations...

Moooo

A gun, or pepper spray?

Bwana
06-29-2006, 11:14 PM

Most of the time I don't have a gun on me, but I also have 20+ years of martial arts training. It's simple to take most people out with something as simple as a set of car keys if you know what you're doing. On the other hand, 99% of the time I have one in the vehicle I'm driving. If you get a CWP it should be good in most states as well. As you said, it only takes once. Better to be safe than taking a dirt nap.

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Was this some homeless wino or similar type loser?

He certainly wasn't an upscale guy, but when we first walked up to him I wouldn't have guessed him to be homeless. He just looked like a kind of low-rent guy. However, when he ran off, he ran up to a street and turned left, and there's a homeless shelter a few blocks away in that direction. I'll bet he was a homeless insane dude.

stevieray
06-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I went into defense mode, and he backed off. :

Kevin started bawking like a chicken and flapping his arms as the perpetrator was overheard saying "damn! mof&%#^ is crazier than me, I can't believe I wasted my chicken soup on a spaceage powder blue shirt.. "

Moooo
06-29-2006, 11:19 PM
A gun, or pepper spray?

Well, if you have gone a double-digit worth of years before these two things happened, it probably won't happen again, at least for a very long time.

I had my car broken into, and whenever it happened I freaked out, and started planning on how I was gonna get this super security system for it. Its never happened again, and that was almost 5 years ago (and I even leave my window cracked in my POS car I have now...

Moooo, who is admittedly quite a bit of a pacifist

Bwana
He certainly wasn't an upscale guy, I'll bet he was a homeless insane dude.

Is Romo back in town??

SLAG
I might be posting this from the morgue.

Did I miss this Sub-Forum Addition during the Change up?

:shrug:

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Kevin started bawking like a chicken and flapping his arms as the perpetrator was overheard saying "damn! mof&%#^ is crazier than my a** "

I started windmilling. No one would willingly charge into a windmill.

Hey, bwana, is the windmill a martial arts move?

SLAG
06-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, if you have gone a double-digit worth of years before these two things happened, it probably won't happen again, at least for a very long time.

I had my car broken into, and whenever it happened I freaked out, and started planning on how I was gonna get this super security system for it. Its never happened again, and that was almost 5 years ago (and I even leave my window cracked in my POS car I have now...

Moooo, who is admittedly quite a bit of a pacifist

if your Luck is anything like the way you start threads.. id buy that security system

stevieray
06-29-2006, 11:21 PM

I bet you were awesome at tether ball.

Bwana
06-29-2006, 11:21 PM

Not that I know of but what the heck, start you own style and it could be. :)

Moooo
06-29-2006, 11:22 PM

What is your style, Bwana?

Moooo

stevieray
06-29-2006, 11:23 PM

windstickman?

stevieray
06-29-2006, 11:23 PM

Moooo

first rate

Moooo
06-29-2006, 11:24 PM
if your Luck is anything like the way you start threads.. id buy that security system

Am I a crappy thread starter? I'm pretty sure I am, but I'm working on it.

And the car I have now is so crappy, I'd actually look forward to it being stolen. I won't get any money for it except for maybe scrap metal.

Moooo

Nzoner
06-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Let this be a lesson to you,the next time you donate soup to a kitchen spring for the little extra and make sure it's Campbells Chicken Noodle.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Let this be a lesson to you,the next time you donate soup to a kitchen spring for the little extra and make sure it's Campbells Chicken Noodle.

Also, make sure the kitchen doesn't heat it up too much, to avoid burns...

Moooo

Bwana
06-29-2006, 11:28 PM

Moooo

I have black belts in Tae Kwon Do, and Hap Ki Do. I put some time into kenpo when I was in Alaska for a year and spent my last five training years in kickboxing and Judo.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I have black belts in Tae Kwon Do, and Hap Ki Do. I put some time into kenpo when I was in Alaska for a year and spent my last five training years in kickboxing and Judo.

I have always said Hap Ki Do is one of the most well rounded martial art around...Definitely my choice if I had only one and it had to be used frequently.

Moooo

Bwana
06-29-2006, 11:29 PM
windstickman?

LOL, I bet that would remove a head if delivered at a high rate of speed.

Frazod
06-29-2006, 11:30 PM
He certainly wasn't an upscale guy, but when we first walked up to him I wouldn't have guessed him to be homeless. He just looked like a kind of low-rent guy. However, when he ran off, he ran up to a street and turned left, and there's a homeless shelter a few blocks away in that direction. I'll bet he was a homeless insane dude.

From time to time we'll get the crazy ones in the area around my building. This is something people who don't live/work in big cities won't really understand. These people are crazy as hell (along with generally being filthy and smelling like piss), but since nobody wants to deal with them, they're left to wander the city streets. Typically, they're harmless, but you never know. And little good can come from a confrontation; invariably, you'll end up the bad guy. Punch one of them out and the liberal do-gooder idiots will come chasing after you with torches and pitchforks, assuming you don't get arrested first. Then the guy ends up being a decorated war hero, and the next thing you know the local media has a camera in your face asking why you hate soldiers.

Ah, life in the big city. :shake:

The good news for me is I'm not on the street nearly as much any more since I quit smoking, so my exposure to these demented freaks has really been cut down.

The food throwing bit is new one, though. Generally even the crazy ones are too hungry to do that.

Very creepy.

Demonpenz
06-29-2006, 11:36 PM
sorry about that rainman. I was really drunk.

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 11:38 PM
The thing that's annoying is that there's a huge homeless shelter about five blocks north of downtown. The skanks there have nothing better to do, so they come to the downtown mall and panhandle all day. There are tourists downtown, so they tend to get money while making the tourists uncomfortable. It's a huge problem.

The Downtown Denver Partnership, the business coalition here, has finally come out against them, and about three weeks ago they started putting up signs telling people to not give panhandlers money. I sure hope they can get some of them out of here. Downtown Denver would be great if it wasn't for the beggars.

greg63
06-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Glad you're alright Rain Man, I'll quit sneaking signs on you're back. :D

j/k.

stevieray
06-29-2006, 11:41 PM
The thing that's annoying is that there's a huge homeless shelter about five blocks north of downtown. The skanks there have nothing better to do, so they come to the downtown mall and panhandle all day. There are tourists downtown, so they tend to get money while making the tourists uncomfortable. It's a huge problem.

The Downtown Denver Partnership, the business coalition here, has finally come out against them, and about three weeks ago they started putting up signs telling people to not give panhandlers money. I sure hope they can get some of them out of here. Downtown Denver would be great if it wasn't for the beggars.

Good ole 23rd street...been that way for years...

Moooo
06-29-2006, 11:41 PM

Okay, so until you said the Denver part, I was like, "There's a homeless shelter in the river?"

Moooo

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Good ole 23rd street...been that way for years...

It might have happened after you left, but can you believe that some developer built a nice loft development right across the street from that place? It's about 6 stories of nice lofts that overlook the shelter and a vacant dirt lot where all of the homeless people hang out waiting for meals. Who would buy a place like that?

Miles
06-29-2006, 11:47 PM

It seems like a big problem outside the Lodo bars. I think the smoking ban will likely make it worse too.

At least they are not quite the level of crazy as the ones when I worked in downtown New Orleans.

Spicy McHaggis
06-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Panhandlers are the reason I hate arriving in cities. A suitcase or a duffel is like a freaking beacon for every person looking for a handout in the entire city to home in on. As soon as I can I ditch the bags and then walk the streets like I know exactly where I'm going even if I'm more lost than Columbus.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 01:29 AM
I hate to say this after everything has happened to you, and I really mean no offense by it. It's just my motto for everything good, bad, or indifferent. Karma. Anyway hopefully it's worked itself out by now. I'd say always rely on the rule of 3. You've had 3 very bizarre and unlucky occurances. You should be good for a lifetime.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Maybe the guy saw this movie and wanted to try it for himself.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Actually if he did, what Cage did is not a bad idea. Just walk down the street with one of these bad boys.

Ari Chi3fs
06-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Dude, Rainman... it would have really sucked if you were killed. But, at least FAX is still here. So, we wouldnt have missed you too much.

KCChiefsMan
06-30-2006, 02:07 AM
I really think it should be ok to kill people like this, glad you're ok rain man!

Otter
06-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Next time a nutbag approaches you just turn around and start yelling the variables of the Confidence Interval of the Sample Mean Formula at the top of your lungs.

Like dealing with a mean bear or a dog, just act meaner and tougher.

Disclaimer: I've never actually warded off a mean bear

Glad you're OK.

Rain Man
06-30-2006, 07:20 AM
It seems like a big problem outside the Lodo bars. I think the smoking ban will likely make it worse too.

At least they are not quite the level of crazy as the ones when I worked in downtown New Orleans.

Yeah, I would think that New Orleans would get crazier-than-average crazies.

On another note, I've always wondered why homeless people are in cold-weather cities like Denver. If I was homeless, I'd be homeless in San Diego.

Chiefnj
06-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Are you sure it was soup and not a cup containing his bowel movement filled with tapeworms?

One alternative in the future would be to sacrifice the petite co-worker. It's every man for himself and his powder blue space age shirt when chicken soup weilding psychotic panhandlers are around.

yunghungwell
06-30-2006, 08:07 AM
I hate to say this after everything has happened to you, and I really mean no offense by it. It's just my motto for everything good, bad, or indifferent. Karma. Anyway hopefully it's worked itself out by now. I'd say always rely on the rule of 3. You've had 3 very bizarre and unlucky occurances. You should be good for a lifetime.

Uh, is your name Earl Hickey?

rad
06-30-2006, 08:12 AM

I don't think that applies over a long period of time. Usually bad things happen in 3's within, say, a week. He had the labor on the porch last week, and the soup thing, so RM needs to prepare for #3.

MOhillbilly
06-30-2006, 08:29 AM
rainman- when a nut ****s w/ you always go the pachino route like for instance-

you think yo bigtime?

ya gonna ****in die bigtime!!!!!!!

Baby Lee
06-30-2006, 08:32 AM
I don't buy this story for a second.
This is nothing but a cheap ploy by RainMan to get us to stop making fun of him for his apricot chick car, and start making fun of him for his powder blue space shirt.

morphius
06-30-2006, 08:34 AM

It could just be that the noodles were jealous of all the attention you have been given their arche enemy, the stick. So, without much time to really think, they are noodles after all, they coerced the man to follow you by holding his uvula hostage. At the last second the noodles slipped off of the uvula and the man just figured that since they wanted you it was his chance to distract them by flinging them at their primary target. Plus he figured that the space age material shirt might offer you some protection from their wrath.

Then the poor man had to sit and watch you flinging your arms around like a school girl seeing a spider and felt a tinge of guilt, or maybe it was just the noodles revolting in his stomach acid. But either way, it caused him pause and sorrow to see the noodles attacking you so viciously. Seeing the cops coming, the man figured that they would be able to save you from the vengeful noodles, and knowing there was no way he could explain this to the police he decided to run away.

Luckily you both were able to survive this ordeal.

Otter
06-30-2006, 09:10 AM
This is nothing but a cheap ploy by RainMan to get us to stop making fun of him for his apricot chick car, and start making fun of him for his powder blue space shirt.

Ya know, now that BL mentions this Rain Man is a little light in the loafers when it comes to choosing colors. Add to that I don't trust a man that doesn't like a cold beer on Friday Afternoons.

I'm begining to have second thoughts on this Rain Man character. :hmmm:

FAX
06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
It could just be that the noodles were jealous of all the attention you have been given their arche enemy, the stick. So, without much time to really think, they are noodles after all, they coerced the man to follow you by holding his uvula hostage. At the last second the noodles slipped off of the uvula and the man just figured that since they wanted you it was his chance to distract them by flinging them at their primary target. Plus he figured that the space age material shirt might offer you some protection from their wrath.

Then the poor man had to sit and watch you flinging your arms around like a school girl seeing a spider and felt a tinge of guilt, or maybe it was just the noodles revolting in his stomach acid. But either way, it caused him pause and sorrow to see the noodles attacking you so viciously. Seeing the cops coming, the man figured that they would be able to save you from the vengeful noodles, and knowing there was no way he could explain this to the police he decided to run away.

Luckily you both were able to survive this ordeal.

ROFL

FAX

ct
06-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Sheesh! Glad you're ok! Some folks are just out there...

Donger
06-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Sorry Rainman. I was bored.

stevieray
06-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Ya know, now that BL mentions this Rain Man is a little light in the loafers when it comes to choosing colors. Add to that I don't trust a man that doesn't like a cold beer on Friday Afternoons.

I'm begining to have second thoughts on this Rain Man character. :hmmm:

Time and time again we hear of Kevin and the colors blue and orange.

:hmmm:

Rain Man
06-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Time and time again we hear of Kevin and the colors blue and orange.

:hmmm:

Hey, HEY, HEY! I had the blue/orange combination claimed long before Nike stole it from me.

Baby Lee
06-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey, HEY, HEY! I had the blue/orange combination claimed long before Nike stole it from me.
Yeah, you and Kietzman.

Frazod
06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
When you leave work today, you should have a bib, spoon and some saltines ready, just in case.

patteeu
06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
It really makes me think about these types of people. I figured that if I just kept walking, it would defuse the situation, ...

That was a big mistake. The guy probably took it as a sign of weakness. The first time he addressed you without being invited, you should have ripped his head off to set an example for all the other degenerates you have to deal with in Denver. You've really changed. I remember back in college when some guy asked you for help with his wind tunnel test in aerodynamics lab and you gouged out his eyes with your compass. No one messed with you in college.

bogie
06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
When you were windmilling him, did you ever actually make contact with him? When he started toward you, as you were making the 911 call, had the transit police not shown up, what do you think your next move would have been?

Rain Man
06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
That was a big mistake. The guy probably took it as a sign of weakness. The first time he addressed you without being invited, you should have ripped his head off to set an example for all the other degenerates you have to deal with in Denver. You've really changed. I remember back in college when some guy asked you for help with his wind tunnel test in aerodynamics lab and you gouged out his eyes with your compass. No one messed with you in college.

I should've bought a Mercedes instead of a BMW, because I think that it would be easy to fasten a disembodied head onto the hood ornament of a Mercedes.

patteeu
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
I should've bought a Mercedes instead of a BMW, because I think that it would be easy to fasten a disembodied head onto the hood ornament of a Mercedes.

Now THAT'S the old Rain Man I know! ROFL

Rain Man
06-30-2006, 12:03 PM
When you were windmilling him, did you ever actually make contact with him? When he started toward you, as you were making the 911 call, had the transit police not shown up, what do you think your next move would have been?

No contact, fortunately. And I think I would've probably tried to position my employee between the two of us. I can always find another employee.

yunghungwell
06-30-2006, 12:15 PM
crossthread tie to man rules

...26: Thou shalt not buy a car in the colors of brown, pink, lime green, orange or sky blue...

bogie
06-30-2006, 12:29 PM
No contact, fortunately. And I think I would've probably tried to position my employee between the two of us. I can always find another employee.

ROFL

Donger
06-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Seriously Rain Man, isn't being hassled by street people one of the charms of living up there?

Fish
06-30-2006, 01:06 PM
That was a big mistake. The guy probably took it as a sign of weakness.

I think there's some truth to that. I've found that when dealing with a crazy with nothing to lose, it's best not to completely avoid them. You don't have to chit chat, but make eye contact, acknowledge them, and temporarily get on their level. Most these folks are totally ignored on a day-to-day basis and sometimes they create a confrontation because they know the other person doesn't acknowledge them as a human being.

Logical
06-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Seriously Rain Man, isn't being hassled by street people one of the charms of living up there?I am not sure whether you mean in urban city or Denver specifically. One of the reasons I would not want to live in a downtown setting.

StcChief
06-30-2006, 01:12 PM

The female might have to get alittle fiesty with the wacko guy....

You'd find out what kinda emp you really have. :p

This would be before the law suit

Rain Man
06-30-2006, 01:18 PM
I think there's some truth to that. I've found that when dealing with a crazy with nothing to lose, it's best not to completely avoid them. You don't have to chit chat, but make eye contact, acknowledge them, and temporarily get on their level. Most these folks are totally ignored on a day-to-day basis and sometimes they create a confrontation because they know the other person doesn't acknowledge them as a human being.

This is actually good marital advice as well.

kepp
06-30-2006, 01:19 PM
"Your cup-a-soup is no match for my rain dance(tm)!"

Ari Chi3fs
06-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Next time this shit happens... I recommend using the "Do you know who I am" Card.

I'm Rain Man, bitch!

What did the five fingers say to face? SLAP, BITCH.

Have you seen My avatars? I picked up Godzilla and tossed him... and I can dance.

No one ****s with Rain Man.

Ari Chi3fs
06-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Oh, when you live in a peach colored house....
and you drive an apricot beemer around...

People are bound to mess with you
When you wear a space shirt colored blue.

Oh what do you do?
when you got Chicken soup, all over you?
You turn and walk away...
and live to post a poll another day.

Baby Lee
06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Little kids, dude.

Logical
06-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Next time this shit happens... I recommend using the "Do you know who I am" Card.

I'm Rain Man, bitch!

What did the five fingers say to face? SLAP, BITCH.

Have you seen My avatars? I picked up Godzilla and tossed him... and I can dance.

Some of your finest work.:clap: