PDA

View Full Version : Give Larry Johnson his due - No holdout talk!!!

Logical
06-30-2006, 09:56 AM
This is IMO a sure sign that he has indeed matured. I am impressed. If he is doing anything he is doing it the right way behind the scenes and out of the spotlight of media attention.

Big Props to LJ.:clap::clap::clap:

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 10:09 AM
He's really not in any position to hold out. He's under contract.

pr_capone
06-30-2006, 10:14 AM
I guess he could pull a "Kennison".

I wouldnt be to happy if my potential backup was making 7 times more than I was... especially after setting the teams single season rushing record.

Logical
06-30-2006, 10:14 AM
He's really not in any position to hold out. He's under contract.If you will recall that did not stop Emmitt Smith. I really was not sure what LJ would do given his impatience when it came to starting. I respect that he is either honoring his contract or playing it smart and in the background out of the media's eye.

sedated
06-30-2006, 10:15 AM

:rolleyes:

that's never stopped anyone before

Mr. Laz
06-30-2006, 10:15 AM
ok, Carl.

ROFL ROFL

wait until he has a full year under his belt ..... if he has production this year like he did for 9 games last year, you can expect an immediate desire to "talk about his contract"

R&GHomer
06-30-2006, 10:18 AM
If he does as well as we all hope this year I fully expect him to want to re-negotiate his contract. Honestly, I wouldn't blame him at all. He could shatter just about every rushing record and he will deserve to be paid.

KChiefs1
06-30-2006, 10:27 AM
I think he has a masterplan to become the highest paid NFL player ever:

He breaks the NFL record for a rushing/td's in a season & then he tells Lamar to open up his wallet.:clap:

MOhillbilly
06-30-2006, 10:29 AM

tell that to Priest a few back.

Logical
06-30-2006, 10:29 AM
I think he has a masterplan to become the highest paid NFL player ever:

He breaks the NFL record for a rushing/td's in a season & then he tells Lamar to open up his wallet.:clap:He best be at Willie Roaf's house then, talking Big Willie into staying this year.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
If you will recall that did not stop Emmitt Smith. I really was not sure what LJ would do given his impatience when it came to starting. I respect that he is either honoring his contract or playing it smart and in the background out of the media's eye.

Was Emmitt Smith a backup at the time?

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 10:44 AM
ok, Carl.

ROFL ROFL

wait until he has a full year under his belt ..... if he has production this year like he did for 9 games last year, you can expect an immediate desire to "talk about his contract"

I absolutely agree with you.

How does it feel to agree with Carl? Need to go take a shower?

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 10:46 AM

Priest had been the full-time starter for 2 full season and put together back-to-back 1500 yard seasons.

sedated
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM

"get paid"

beer bacon
06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Priest had been the full-time starter for 2 full season and put together back-to-back 1500 yard seasons.

Under contract is under contract.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Under contract is under contract.

You'd like to think so, but the NFL doesn't work that way.

LJ has basically performed well in a half season twice but he's never done anything over a long period of time. He's also under contract until 2009. He lacks leverage.

Before the 2003 season, Priest was coming off his 2nd-consecutive 1500-yard season, had just set the team's season rushing record, and he only had 1 year left on his contract.

Huge difference.

the Talking Can
06-30-2006, 11:16 AM
it doesn't matter, unless he gets injured he's going to demand one of the largest contracts ever for a RB after this season...

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 11:26 AM
it doesn't matter, unless he gets injured he's going to demand one of the largest contracts ever for a RB after this season...

And he'll be in a position to get it too. If he does this season what he did last season, Carl might just hand him the largest Chiefs contract ever...

the Talking Can
06-30-2006, 11:32 AM
And he'll be in a position to get it too. If he does this season what he did last season, Carl might just hand him the largest Chiefs contract ever...

I don't see how he doesn't get it. With Trent near the end, LJ is our offense.

LJ will have CP by the balls.

jlscorpio
06-30-2006, 11:35 AM

I would hope so...

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't see how he doesn't get it. With Trent near the end, LJ is our offense.

LJ will have CP by the balls.

LJ won't have to have CP by the balls. Carl is gonna open the checkbook, you can bet on it.

jidar
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
You'd like to think so, but the NFL doesn't work that way.

LJ has basically performed well in a half season twice but he's never done anything over a long period of time. He's also under contract until 2009. He lacks leverage.

Before the 2003 season, Priest was coming off his 2nd-consecutive 1500-yard season, had just set the team's season rushing record, and he only had 1 year left on his contract.

Huge difference.

give me a break. More than half the teams in the NFL would sign him with top 5 (at least) money in a heartbeat. You can throw stats records and histories around all you want but that's immaterial next to the fact that he's one of the 3 best backs in NFL right now and of the three he has the least mileage.

That's just how it is.

Rausch
06-30-2006, 12:05 PM
ok, Carl.

ROFL ROFL

Yep.

He's by far the best RB in his draft and easily a top 5 NFL back. He just needs a full season to put up the production and prove it...

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 12:10 PM
give me a break. More than half the teams in the NFL would sign him with top 5 (at least) money in a heartbeat. You can throw stats records and histories around all you want but that's immaterial next to the fact that he's one of the 3 best backs in NFL right now and of the three he has the least mileage.

That's just how it is.

I'm sure they would, but he's not a free agent, so that pretty much blows your theory all to hell.

Remember, I never said he wasn't worth the money. He's just not in much of a position to ASK FOR IT - yet

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Yep.

He's by far the best RB in his draft and easily a top 5 NFL back. He just needs a full season to put up the production and prove it...

Yep.

CupidStunt
06-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Yep.

Logical
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Was Emmitt Smith a backup at the time?Even I have a hard time calling LJ a backup now. He ran for 1750 which I believe is more than Emmitt did the season prior to his holdout. But I also see your point. Even when I say positive things about LJ you find a way to ding on me. Kind of frustrating, I think I know how Laz feels.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Even I have a hard time calling LJ a backup now. He ran for 1750 which I believe is more than Emmitt did the season prior to his holdout. But I also see your point. Even when I say positive things about LJ you find a way to ding on me. Kind of frustrating, I think I know how Laz feels.

ROFL

That's because I'm really not positive or negative. I'm at least trying to be objective.

Anyway, LJ wouldn't really be wise to ask for a new contract right now. He could probably get top 5 money right now, but it wouldn't be easy because he doesn't have a full deck of bargaining cards. If he goes over 2000 next year, he can be the highest-paid back in the league.

pr_capone
06-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Yep

Yep

Yep
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/King_of_the_Hill_alley.jpg