PDA

View Full Version : BLC Exclusive: Kietzman claims Chiefs yanked credentials; team says he's dead wrong

KingPriest2
06-30-2006, 11:51 AM
ummary: While every journalist in the nation considers the KC Royals' pulling of credentials of two radio reporters a travesty, Kevin Kietzman of WHB continues to fail to show support even to his own reporter Bob Fescoe, whose credentials were yanked. And now the KC Chiefs vehemently deny Kietzman's remarks to the Star's Hearne Christopher, saying they have never pulled a reporter's credentials.

BLC Exclusive:

Bob Moore, the Kansas City Chiefs' top PR official, in an exclusive interview (6/29), says he is very upset with Hearne Christopher of the Kansas City Star for not contacting the team prior to running the (erroneous) comments (below) by Kevin Kietzman of WHB-810. He has asked Christopher to correct the item.

"In my 18 years we have never pulled the credentials of any reporter," says Moore. "In fact, if someone did cheer in the press box we would simply tell them not to.

"I'm not sure how someone (Kietzman) who hasn't covered the team since when he worked for WDAF-TV would even know what we have done in the press box," he added.

Moore said some issues have arisen over the years with media people giving their credentials to friends. Or sometimes it has been found folks with credentials were not really "working" media who actually interviewed players and did regular stories. The late Tom Leathers fell into that category.

However, Moore emphasized that legitimate media representatives have never had their media credentials taken away by the Kansas City Chiefs. comments@bottomlinecom.com

Hearne Christopher, Kansas City Star (6/28/06)

The rest of the story

Concerning the hand-wringing over the KC Royals revoking the credentials of two local radio reporters for badgering team owner David Glass during the press conference to introduce new GM Dayton Moore.

WHB 810 AM heavyweight Kevin Kietzman has a theory on the reason for all the hoopla.

“So many people are down on the Royals and David Glass,” Kietzman says. “If this had happened at Arrowhead, people would have supported the team. People would have said, ‘They shouldn’t have done that to Lamar Hunt.’ ”

Case in point.

“The Chiefs pulled the credentials from a female reporter two years ago because she cheered in the press box and nobody said anything about it,” Kietzman says. “The bottom line is there’s certain things you can’t do — professional etiquette. The questions they asked of (Glass) should have been asked off to the side, and our guy knows that.”

Kietzman’s guy was one of the two reporters in question. While WHB carries the Royals games locally, Kietzman has not shied from criticizing the team. But there are limits, he says.

“If I go to that news conference in my bathing suit and no shirt, should there be something done to me?” he asks. “There is no real policy, but there’s professionalism and decorum at work here.”

alanm
06-30-2006, 11:53 AM
If they were smart they'd yank Kietzman's credentials over this instead.

MOhillbilly
06-30-2006, 11:55 AM
hahaha i know where this is going.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 12:09 PM
However, Moore emphasized that legitimate media representatives have never had their media credentials taken away by the Kansas City Chiefs.

That statement covers Harry and Fortune.

KingPriest2
06-30-2006, 12:23 PM
However, Moore emphasized that legitimate media representatives have never had their media credentials taken away by the Kansas City Chiefs.

That was pretty bad what they did. What was it 1990? Okoye infant son passes away and they did not know that was the reason why Okoye was gone.

Messier
06-30-2006, 12:25 PM

They didn't have their credentials pulled, they were banned from the locker room. They could still go to all press conferences.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 12:36 PM
They didn't have their credentials pulled, they were banned from the locker room. They could still go to all press conferences.

Way to ruin a good joke. :banghead:

:D

Cochise
06-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Good lord, Don Fortune was insufferable. I can't imagine he and Jack Harry being any less of a couple of asshats than Rhondzilla and Fescoe.

KingPriest2
06-30-2006, 04:56 PM

I think they were pulled.