PDA

View Full Version : Playoff predictions on ESPN's "Ultimate Depth Chart"

Moooo
06-30-2006, 11:58 PM
ESPN, doing their "Ultimate Depth Chart" just said the Chiefs rank as the 5 seed going into the playoffs. They said "If they could just get their defense to 15th, they could go all the way."

They also put the Broncos at 4th, meaning they think they'll win the division.

Moooo

|Zach|
07-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Sounds fair for a preseason prediction

Moooo
07-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Sounds fair for a preseason prediction

Kinda what I thought... The NFL live guys are buying in to KC a lot more than in years past... I think it has to do with LJ. They seem to be a lot more impressed with him than they ever were with Priest.

Moooo

|Zach|
07-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Kinda what I thought... The NFL live guys are buying in to KC a lot more than in years past... I think it has to do with LJ. They seem to be a lot more impressed with him than they ever were with Priest.

Moooo
I feel the same way...

I don't want to bad mouth Holmes...he did so many great things for us.

But I think some people forget. For all of his great work on the goal line and amazing...literally..amazing athletic plays he got stuffed at the line of crimmage ALOT. He took a lot of plays for a loss and it seemed to happen at really important times.

Johnson doesn't really let that happen alot. He does a good job at making something positive out of every play. I also think he has improved a lot on the goal line. It used to be...well we love Johnson but it would be nice to have Holmes on the goal line. I think the difference in those two gys on the goal line is a lot smaller than it used to be. That is one of the better progressions I saw from him last year.

Another big plus of him over Holmes is his ability to run out the clock. I never understood it but when we had the ball with 4 or 5 mins left and we needed to just run off time Holmes was always MIA. LJ can get 5 and 6 yards...keep that clock running...wear guys down.

I love it.

tk13
07-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I think LJ has gotten better at grinding out yardage. Otherwise I'd probably disagree. In 2004 they both averaged about the same ypc, but LJ had all kinds of long runs and Priest didn't have any, because Priest was much better at picking up 8-10 yard chunks and moving the chains. While LJ was better at going 3, 3, 3, 3, 45. LJ really showed some ability to grind it out late in the season this year though... not as many long breakaway runs but much better at moving the chains. I think that's why people kinda slight Priest to begin with, he wasn't ever a breakaway guy but he racked up a lot of yards with quick 7-10 yard bursts... plus LJ will never be as good as Priest in the goal line because he doesn't give up his body. Not that I fault him for that, that's probably played a part in Priest breaking down, but it's reality. If LJ went flying over the pile like Priest does, at his size, he'd be more unstoppable than Priest ever was.

Moooo
07-01-2006, 12:31 AM
I think LJ has gotten better at grinding out yardage. Otherwise I'd totally disagree with the rest of that post. In 2004 they both averaged about the same ypc, but LJ had all kinds of long runs and Priest didn't have any, because Priest was much better at picking up 8-10 yard chunks and moving the chains. While LJ was better at going 3, 3, 3, 3, 45. LJ really showed some ability to grind it out late in the season this year though... not as many long breakaway runs but much better at moving the chains. He'll never be as good as Priest in the goal line because he doesn't give up his body. Not that I fault him for that, that's probably played a part in Priest breaking down, but it's reality.

Priest is like water at the goaline. He just finds a way through or over. LJ's so much bigger he has to push his way through.

Moooo

CHENZ A!
07-01-2006, 03:49 AM
If I need 1 yd I'll take Priest.

here we go.

Rausch
07-01-2006, 03:52 AM

Moooo

There's a reason.

I'll say it again: LJ has the greatest combination of speed and Power since Jim Brown...

|Zach|
07-01-2006, 04:04 AM

here we go.
No way...

CHENZ A!
07-01-2006, 04:08 AM
No way...

I believe Priest is the better short ydg back. not to say granmama is a bad one.

Rausch
07-01-2006, 04:27 AM
I believe Priest is the better short ydg back. not to say granmama is a bad one.

Priest = Marcus Allen.

LJ = Okoye.

Take your pick, any of those 2 in the same backfield makes my lower parts go all rubbery and happy like MOhillbilly after his first date-rape...

Rukdafaidas
07-01-2006, 05:19 AM
I agree with tk on this one. I've never seen any back consistantly pick up 10 yard runs like Priest. LJ does the 3, 4, 1, 30 yard routine.
Both RB's are great, but they're totally different runners. Priest has a gift at finding the seem and LJ has tremendous speed and power.
The thing that still scares me about LJ is the way he holds the football. I'm worried he's going to become a fumbler and that can take a long time to overcome. Some RB's never recover from fumbling problems.

This is how LJ carries the ball in open field.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/andrew_perloff/09/26/chief.broncos/p1_larry_johnson.jpg

Rausch
07-01-2006, 06:44 AM
I agree with tk on this one. I've never seen any back consistantly pick up 10 yard runs like Priest. LJ does the 3, 4, 1, 30 yard routine.
Both RB's are great, but they're totally different runners. Priest has a gift at finding the seem and LJ has tremendous speed and power.
The thing that still scares me about LJ is the way he holds the football. I'm worried he's going to become a fumbler and that can take a long time to overcome. Some RB's never recover from fumbling problems.

This is how LJ carries the ball in open field.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/andrew_perloff/09/26/chief.broncos/p1_larry_johnson.jpg

Uh huh...

http://personal.monm.edu/TSNYDER/Walter%20Payton.jpg

milkman
07-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Am I the only one that sees a little Eric Dickerson in LJ?

KC Jones
07-01-2006, 08:44 AM
But I think some people forget. For all of his great work on the goal line and amazing...literally..amazing athletic plays he got stuffed at the line of crimmage ALOT. He took a lot of plays for a loss and it seemed to happen at really important times.

I disagree entirely.

Priest was better at the tough yards than LJ. His ability to shift, turn, and power in tight spots like on the goal line made him better at getting the tough yard or two when nothing was there. LJ has much greater speed and is a bigger beefier runner. If he has good blocking up front he can do a lot more damage getting further downfield and breaking for TDs, but he needs to get up to speed. When the openings aren't there for him (witness the first Raiders game last year), he doesn't do as well getting that 1-2 yards out of nothing.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I disagree entirely.

Priest was better at the tough yards than LJ. His ability to shift, turn, and power in tight spots like on the goal line made him better at getting the tough yard or two when nothing was there. LJ has much greater speed and is a bigger beefier runner. If he has good blocking up front he can do a lot more damage getting further downfield and breaking for TDs, but he needs to get up to speed. When the openings aren't there for him (witness the first Raiders game last year), he doesn't do as well getting that 1-2 yards out of nothing.

If LJ is motivated, he can plow through any pile, taking defenders with him. He doesn't have the jump like Priest, but I don't have a problem with either of them in short yardage situations.

|Zach|
07-01-2006, 10:08 AM
I really think some people forget how many times Priest was held up at the line of scrimmage.

KC Jones
07-01-2006, 10:10 AM
If LJ is motivated, he can plow through any pile, taking defenders with him. He doesn't have the jump like Priest, but I don't have a problem with either of them in short yardage situations.

Provided he can get up to speed, yes he can carry the DBs and LBs downfield with him. When he runs into the DL, he's too upright and hasn't reached full speed yet and gets stopped cold. He's got to have that gap. I'm not knocking him, he's a great talent and behind our O-line he's a monster.

StcChief
07-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Am I the only one that sees a little Eric Dickerson in LJ?

No he is a combination of Jim Brown, Dickerson, Peyton

the only thing with Dickerson is LJ will OWN his record.

ImAWalkingCorpse
07-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Their opinion doesn't mean much if anything to me, they still think that the Atlanta Michael Vickies are going to be in the playoffs ahead of the Buc's.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Provided he can get up to speed, yes he can carry the DBs and LBs downfield with him. When he runs into the DL, he's too upright and hasn't reached full speed yet and gets stopped cold. He's got to have that gap. I'm not knocking him, he's a great talent and behind our O-line he's a monster.

I agree. Priest should be much better for short yardage because of his size and leg strength. His leaping ability and his ability to hit the gaps quickly and read defenders is a much better than LJ. I think his size makes a huge difference.

Vegas_Dave
07-01-2006, 11:33 AM
I actually enjoyed that program on ESPN last night. Granted, I only watched the Ulitmate Prediction part.

Interesting things though. I found it interesting that OVERALL, they ranked KC at #18. Considering that the Defense is question as well as a new coaching staff, the #18 ranking is understandable.

But when we are ranked 18 overall on their board, they still place us in their playoff picture. To me, that meant "hey, KC has the tools and is a true wildcard, They CAN beat any time. Will they?"

wkchief
07-01-2006, 01:01 PM
The thing that makes Priest a better back is his willingness and ability to pass block and being a better receiving back!

milkman
07-01-2006, 01:09 PM
The thing that makes Priest a better back is his willingness and ability to pass block and being a better receiving back!

I think you mistake learning something you've never had to do for willingness.

LJ is still learning a skill he was never asked to perform before he joined the NFL.

He's a man with pride and determination.

He may never be as good as Priest, but he'll improve, because he wants to be known as the best.

wkchief
07-01-2006, 01:15 PM
That could be, but as of right now Priest is a better pass blocker. I hope LJ learns this because that was what kept him from getting a lot of game time early in his career.

milkman
07-01-2006, 01:24 PM
That could be, but as of right now Priest is a better pass blocker. I hope LJ learns this because that was what kept him from getting a lot of game time early in his career.

No.
Dick's loyalty to "his" players (Blaylock), and his pettiness to those who weren't "his" players (LJ) had every bit as much to do with LJ's lack of playing time as his blocking inexperience.

KChiefs1
07-01-2006, 01:25 PM
pass-blocking is the only place Priest is overwhelming better than LJ.

Moooo
07-01-2006, 01:57 PM
pass-blocking is the only place Priest is overwhelming better than LJ.

That, and the fumbles. I mean, LJ is no butterfingers and holds his own quite well, but Priest... dude, the ball was glued to his arm most of the time...

Moooo

wkchief
07-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Not saying that LJ can't become the complete player that Priest is. I think that healthy, Priest is a better overall player right now.

CupidStunt
07-01-2006, 02:06 PM

here we go.

If you need 70, you take Johnson.

CupidStunt
07-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Not saying that LJ can't become the complete player that Priest is. I think that healthy, Priest is a better overall player right now.

lol

CupidStunt
07-01-2006, 02:07 PM
They said "If they could just get their defense to 15th, they could go all the way."

The defense was 16th last year and didn't do squat.

Oh, wait... they mean in yards allowed - the all-important category. My bad.
:rolleyes:

wkchief
07-01-2006, 02:16 PM
lol

This isn't college ball, there is a lot more to being a running back than yards carried.

Ari Chi3fs
07-01-2006, 02:18 PM
you mean we have Barry Sanders AND Walter Payton on our team?

http://premium.packersnews.com/gallery/2003/game/122803game2/images/SL-Quentin-Griffin.jpg
http://student.fortlewis.edu/JMATHERSON/barry%20sanders.jpg
http://personal.monm.edu/TSNYDER/Walter%20Payton.jpg

Start printing playoff tickets!!