PDA

View Full Version : Burning Flags

jAZ
07-01-2006, 01:22 AM
http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/06/burning_flags.html

Burning Flags

I was delighted to learn that American politicians are trying to make it illegal to burn the American flag. That can only mean that my dedicated public servants have finally solved the problems of crime, drugs, war, poverty, terrorism, healthcare, immigration, and the mystery of why our children are such idiots compared to Norwegians. Evidently those issues are now under control. I was starting to worry that Congress was wasting my tax dollars doing stupid shit.

I heard Senator Frist compare the flag to a national monument. His point was that you wouldnít want people to deface our one-of-a-kind historical treasures. Therefore we shouldnít let people burn an American flag that is one of millions churned out every year by Chinese manufacturers. I think that was his best argument. I know it seems dumb when I recount it, but there was something about the robotic way Frist said it that gave me chills.

I consider myself a highly patriotic guy and I understand how people can get worked up over the flag being burned. I love my flag. But symbols are personal things, and everyone is free to interpret them however they see fit. For me, a flag that Iím NOT allowed to burn is a symbol that the government is too intrusive in my life. And itís an insult to anyone who died to defend freedom. But thatís just me. You might prefer your symbols of freedom to have as many restrictions as possible.

It seems to me that the great thing about the flag is that it symbolizes something inherently indestructible: the concept of freedom. You can burn the flag as many times as you want and the concept of freedom is not only still there Ė itís stronger. I like that about my flag. I would go so far as to say itís my flagís best feature.

I wouldnít mind if Congress were considering changing some other feature of the flag. For example, if they wanted to represent Rhode Island with half a star, I could get behind that. But Iíd hate to chip away at my flagís freedom feature. That just seems wrong. Again, thatís just my personal and emotional opinion. I can see how people would feel different about it.

If flag burning becomes illegal, someone is going to start a company that sells flags that are slightly different from American flags Ė just different enough to be legal to burn. The burnable flags might have 51 stars, or 14 stripes Ė something like that. The beauty of this concept is that if you got caught burning a real American flag, you could claim it was really just a near-flag. Thatís reasonable doubt. No one would ever get convicted.

The thing to remember about freedom is that itís not given, itís taken.

June 30, 2006

jAZ
07-01-2006, 01:24 AM
I loved this part!
If flag burning becomes illegal, someone is going to start a company that sells flags that are slightly different from American flags Ė just different enough to be legal to burn. The burnable flags might have 51 stars, or 14 stripes Ė something like that. The beauty of this concept is that if you got caught burning a real American flag, you could claim it was really just a near-flag. Thatís reasonable doubt. No one would ever get convicted.
ROFL

It just perfectly illustrates the sheer stupidity of this faux-issue.

Rausch
07-01-2006, 04:56 AM
I loved this part!

ROFL

It just perfectly illustrates the sheer stupidity of this faux-issue.

Laugh all you want but while people burn flags on federal/state/city property I can't even smoke there.

Give that a minute to sink in...

banyon
07-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey, they found some more pressing issues:

Christian movie's rating worries lawmakers

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060701/capt.121392d4e9314cff9a75677fdeabd55a.christian_movie_rating_blunt_ny111.jpg?x=180&y=250&sig=05e3wPS4Jr7ud9ECFsOo7g--

House Majority Whip Roy Blunt, R-Mo., and other lawmakers are demanding explanations after hearing complaints that the movie "Facing the Giants" was rated PG instead of G due to religious content.

The Motion Picture Association of America claims the controversy arose from a miscommunication with the filmmakers. It says religion was not the reason for the rating.

"This incident raises the disquieting possibility that the MPAA considers exposure to Christian themes more dangerous for children than exposure to gratuitous sex and violence," Blunt said in a letter to MPAA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Dan Glickman.

After meeting with MPAA officials, Blunt and a handful of other House members said they remain concerned about the subjective native of the ratings process.

"I'm not satisfied," said Rep. Marsha Blackburn (news, bio, voting record), R-Tenn., who attended the meeting with Blunt. "We probably will want to revisit this ratings process to have some commonality in the standards that exist for movies, videos and video games."

Blackburn said she wants the House Energy and Commerce Committee to hold hearings on the issue later this year...

rest of article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060701/ap_en_mo/christian_movie_rating)

Way to go Blunt!

Adept Havelock
07-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Hey, they found some more pressing issues:

Christian movie's rating worries lawmakers

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060701/capt.121392d4e9314cff9a75677fdeabd55a.christian_movie_rating_blunt_ny111.jpg?x=180&y=250&sig=05e3wPS4Jr7ud9ECFsOo7g--

House Majority Whip Roy Blunt, R-Mo., and other lawmakers are demanding explanations after hearing complaints that the movie "Facing the Giants" was rated PG instead of G due to religious content.

The Motion Picture Association of America claims the controversy arose from a miscommunication with the filmmakers. It says religion was not the reason for the rating.

"This incident raises the disquieting possibility that the MPAA considers exposure to Christian themes more dangerous for children than exposure to gratuitous sex and violence," Blunt said in a letter to MPAA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Dan Glickman.

After meeting with MPAA officials, Blunt and a handful of other House members said they remain concerned about the subjective native of the ratings process.

"I'm not satisfied," said Rep. Marsha Blackburn (news, bio, voting record), R-Tenn., who attended the meeting with Blunt. "We probably will want to revisit this ratings process to have some commonality in the standards that exist for movies, videos and video games."

Blackburn said she wants the House Energy and Commerce Committee to hold hearings on the issue later this year...

rest of article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060701/ap_en_mo/christian_movie_rating)

Way to go Blunt!

What a wonderful use of our legislatures time. "Subjective" movie ratings? Who want's to create an objective formula? Does this male Gladys Kravitz think we should quantify the number of specific curse words, nudity shots, acts of violence, and mature themes and then use some formula to arrive at a rating? I don't know any other way to reach an "objective" movie rating. Unless, of course, it's done by Randites. :p

Shorter Blunt: I think movie ratings are a great way to protect kids from Hollywood, unless I happen to disagree based on my choice of superstition, and it helps when pandering for votes. :drool:

listopencil
07-01-2006, 05:47 PM
http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/06/burning_flags.html

The thing to remember about freedom is that itís not given, itís taken.

June 30, 2006

That was a pretty decent article. I especially liked this last line. The only thing missing in your thread is your own view on the subject because you made no effort whatsoever to create anything, just copied and pasted this to the board.

Nightwish
07-01-2006, 08:04 PM
That was a pretty decent article. I especially liked this last line. The only thing missing in your thread is your own view on the subject because you made no effort whatsoever to create anything, just copied and pasted this to the board.
Actually he did comment on it in post #2.

listopencil
07-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Actually he did comment on it in post #2.

My bad, I missed that one-liner. I wonder why he didn't just post in the thread starter?

Nightwish
07-01-2006, 08:12 PM
My bad, I missed that one-liner. I wonder why he didn't just post in the thread starter?
I don't know. I've seen him do that a lot. It's just a jAZ thing.

jAZ
07-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I thought the article deserved to be posted in it's whole without distracting comment. Sorry to have irritated you.

Cochise
07-01-2006, 09:44 PM
I can't really make myself care about this issue too much.

For one thing it's not like I see people burning flags on every block. Secondly... isn't that the proper way to dispose of a flag? Sure, it's done in a disrespectful way when done in protest, but I don't really want to see grandpa the WW2 vet properly disposing of a tattered flag and getting a ticket from someone who doesn't know the difference.

And another thing, flying it upside down to be disrespectful isn't really much different. You would need to hit that one too if you want to legislatively install respect being given the flag. Plus you would need to do things like keep unattractive women from wearing flag oriented bikini tops and take it off the US National soccer team's uniforms.

I think the system as it is now is fine. People who are a little nutty are free to do it. People like me shake our heads and continue on.

Jesus
07-01-2006, 09:56 PM
I understand the anguish of those who have served, but in my opinion there are bigger battles to fight than denying dumbasses the right to make real asses of themselves.

jAZ
07-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Laugh all you want but while people burn flags on federal/state/city property I can't even smoke there.

Give that a minute to sink in...
Two points...

1) Flag burning is a form of protected speech.
2) Even with it's protected speech status, flag burning can be restricted by time and place just like smoking.

Mr. Laz
07-02-2006, 12:07 PM
i don't like when people burn the american flag ... makes me want to kick them in the nuts.

BUT ... it's really a necessary evil

it's part of what makes american great ... the freedom to be a dickhead. :shrug: