PDA

View Full Version : MURPHY'S LAW:My Air Conditioning Just went out!

TinyEvel
07-01-2006, 10:12 AM
AAAAGGGHHH!!! CRAP!

Last night, about 9 pm,I noticed the house felt warm and humid. THe A/Cwas blowing regular temperature.

I checked the circuit breaker, fuses, etc. and sure 'nuff. On the Friday of a four-day holiday weekend with the in-laws staying over and 90+ weather all weekend IT GOES OUT!

:banghead:

Baconeater
07-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Here ya go!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142785

OmegaRed
07-01-2006, 10:25 AM
mine starts to blow hot air sometimes. it usually happens on the really hot days when it works too hard. its the outside unit that isnt turning on for whatever reason. i just tell my wife to stand next to it while i go in the house and turn the ac on and off until the outside unit starts up again. then it works fine.

pr_capone
07-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Here ya go!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142785

DAMMIT CARL! :cuss:

You beat me to posting my own thread!

ROFL

TinyEvel
07-01-2006, 10:40 AM
It just got worse.
The neighbor is putting in a retaining wall, and he's had a crew of four jackhammering out the granite hilside for a month. THEY JUST STARTED (8:30 am).

Looks like we'll be seeing the Garfield movie today.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-01-2006, 10:41 AM
If you didn't check the breaker. Do that. Mine went out and I just needed to reset the breaker. Hope it works out.

pr_capone
07-01-2006, 10:43 AM
It just got worse.
Looks like we'll be seeing the Garfield movie today.

My condolances.

Perhaps you can talk to your neighbord regarding some compensation for undue mental harm. Not because of the jack-hammering.... but because you were forced out of the house and had to watch Garfield.

milkman
07-01-2006, 10:49 AM
What a bunch of panzies!

Man up!

I ain't got no AC, and I don't need it!

Pusses!

TinyEvel
07-01-2006, 10:52 AM
What a bunch of panzies!

Man up!

Pusses!

You must not have a family with little kids. It's going to be 100 today.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley with no AC.
100+ all July and August. We'd walk up to the local ZODY'S (a ghetto Target) and spend all day watching TV in the electronics Dept.

Baconeater
07-01-2006, 10:55 AM
What a bunch of panzies!

Man up!

Pusses!
Yep. That's me. I keep my house at 75 degrees. I hate the heat, I'd rather deal with a foot of snow on the ground.

pr_capone
07-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Yep. That's me. I keep my house at 75 degrees. I hate the heat, I'd rather deal with a foot of snow on the ground.

Most definately.

My wife hates the fact that I turn up the AC when I go to bed. I cant fall asleep if I'm even warm. I have to be nice and cold to get any rest.

milkman
07-01-2006, 11:00 AM
You must not have a family with little kids. It's going to be 100 today.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley with no AC.
100+ all July and August. We'd walk up to the local ZODY'S (a ghetto Target) and spend all day watching TV in the electronics Dept.

Nah, I live on the central coast of Kalifornia.

It rarely gets hot.

Psyko Tek
07-01-2006, 12:03 PM
check and see if it froze up, may just need to thaw and will start working again, good luck

DaneMcCloud
07-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Call Tony at Volume Air Flow. 323-733-3221. He's nice, efficient and doesn't overcharge. Good luck.

Ari Chi3fs
07-01-2006, 03:06 PM
wow. it is so nice and cool in my house today.

DaneMcCloud
07-01-2006, 04:34 PM
wow. it is so nice and cool in my house today.

My house was nice and cool until about 10 days ago when the A/C stopped blowing cold air. I figured it was freon but after Tony came out, we found out it was a blown PCB board. It was about 95 degrees that day but fortunately, he was able to install a new one the next morning. In the meantime, he bypassed the board and directly wired the blower to the thermostat.

He didn't charge labor for the install, since he was out the day before and the PCB was only $265.00, which is much better than $7k if it the unit was gone for good. And that doesn't include the crane fee because that's the only way to get the unit on top of the house.

Good luck, Mr. Evel.

chief2000
07-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Pee on the condeser coils !

4th and Long
07-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Pee on the condeser coils !
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/6430/lightningbolted7qn.gif

dj56dt58
07-01-2006, 08:27 PM
I saw the word LAW and clicked the link..but this has nothing to do w/ Ty Law at all does it? :cuss:

ChiefsfaninPA
07-01-2006, 08:47 PM
I saw the word LAW and clicked the link..but this has nothing to do w/ Ty Law at all does it? :cuss:

Oh no, please don't start this shi%.

SCChief
07-01-2006, 10:09 PM
mine starts to blow hot air sometimes. it usually happens on the really hot days when it works too hard. its the outside unit that isnt turning on for whatever reason. i just tell my wife to stand next to it while i go in the house and turn the ac on and off until the outside unit starts up again. then it works fine.

I have had similar problems with mine. Turns out ants were getting into the switch and shorting it. Ant killer around the base of the A/C... clean out the switch, and it has run fine since.

Jesus
07-01-2006, 11:06 PM
When is the last time you went to Confession?

Chief Roundup
07-02-2006, 09:30 AM
What kind of unit is it?
Is the outdoor unit running at all?
Do you have a heat pump or straight air. I know most of them will have a high pressure reset. You might be able to take the service door off of your outdoor unit and simply reset it. If the outdoor unit is not coming on at all try looking for the reset button on the outdoor unit. There is also a contacter that is in the same service area. It is where electricity comes into the electronics. Also take a look at your start capacitor and see if it has a place that is swollen or bigger than the rest of the capacitor. Capacitor should have 6 to 8 wires coming off of it.