PDA

View Full Version : Why Are The Royals Winning? Cause "Buddy" Is Gone

petegz28
07-02-2006, 06:56 AM
No not Buddy Bell obviously. Baird had to much of a buddy-buddy friendship with these players and really sent a lot of the wrong signals to the team.

Always signing old, has-been if they ever were players, not trading Affeldt last year cause we HAD to have a corner outfielder basically are a couple of general descriptors of Bairds inability for one reason or another to make the team play hard.

I always felt like the younger guys knew as long as Baird was there they were there. Grienke being treated like the next pitching God of baseball and Sweeney the next Brett while Jose Lima made repeat appearances on the team I think proves Baird was more worried about being friends and being right than being a GM.

Baird reminded me a lot of Quin Schneider. Yes maybe he was hosed in ways Moore isn't. Yes he was treated wrong when they let him go.

But I don't care. That was for 1 month.

Moore isn't even here for 1 month and already traded J.P. Howell, another rollercoaster ride AA-ML-AA pitcher of Baird's and trade him for Gathright and 2 prospects.

Wow all the sudden DeJesus moves to Left and you got the Corner outfileder you have been wanting. Not only htat you picked up one of the fastest guys in baseball. And speed is arguably one of the weakest points of this team.

Oh yeah did I mention Gathright was 25? Yes that is not a dyslexic typo he is 25 not 52.

So if Moore can walk in and make a gem of a trade like that right off the bat I must ask what other hidden opportunities lie on this team that Baird was either incapable of seeing or incapable of trading or bringing up?

I have to give Baird some props he did pick some good players. But he also made some very stupid moves and refused to make other sensible moves.

wutamess
07-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Man I wish we still had Beltran and got rid of Sweeney back then. I was lobbying all for it but others at the time was all against it.

Dejesus, Beltran, Sanders, Die, Damon, etc.
It's not that we haven't had the talent, we just haven't had the balls (to keep anyone worth a damn).

Hopefully the tables have turned.
Nice stretch as of late.

Is the pitching coach making a big difference or what is it?

Oh yeah...
Shuddup n00b! Good post.

Demonpenz
07-02-2006, 10:53 AM
I think its mostly baseball stats fixing themselves. The royals were bad in earlier but NOT THAT BAD. Now they are stats are evening them back out.

Sure-Oz
07-02-2006, 11:01 AM
The team has been playing alot better and showing signs of life. As long as the Glasses support Moore 100% i see a huge improvement on this team and a good future, but we'll see. We need to keep developing and drafting good players as well. Some of the baird trades may actually pan out and he may have set us up real well for the future. Teahan has started to hit better and so has Buck, so hopefully it keeps up!

banyon
07-02-2006, 11:03 AM
The royals are winning because we are playing against the NL Central.

Wait until we load up against the Tigers, Twins, and White Sox again and we'll reclaim our record loss pace, especially when we dump a couple of our solid vets.

chiefqueen
07-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Buddy may still be manager but he may not be making all of the on-field decisions. A week ago a NYT article on Moore indicated that either Moore or Taylor instructed the Royals coaching staff to have Gathright play deeper in center.

As I watched the game last night I saw a couple of instances where Bell made semi-intelligent moves and wondered if Bell made the moves on his own or did Taylor phone the dugout.

ChiefsCountry
07-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Also the Royals blew a ton of saves earlier in the season as well. I remember GoChiefs finding it when the Rangers came to town.

The Royals have a decent team, the free agents we got our good pickups just not superstars. Like I have said if we had Beltran and Dye with most of the roster now we would have a darn good team.

keg in kc
07-02-2006, 02:57 PM
The Royals have a decent team, the free agents we got our good pickups just not superstars. Like I have said if we had Beltran and Dye with most of the roster now we would have a darn good team.No, we wouldn't. Pitching wins in MLB.

Demonpenz
07-02-2006, 03:00 PM
shit we still lost 100 when we had beltran dye and damon

banyon
07-02-2006, 03:11 PM

which year?

ChiefsCountry
07-02-2006, 03:14 PM
No, we wouldn't. Pitching wins in MLB.

A good offense and great defense behind them can help make average pitching alot better.

Sure-Oz
07-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Mark Redman is our all-star, this may be worse than the Ken Harvey AS selection, lol!

If Dejesus wasn't hurt I'd think he woulda gotten in with more AB's. I also think Grudz should've been our rep.

dj56dt58
07-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Also the Royals blew a ton of saves earlier in the season as well. I remember GoChiefs finding it when the Rangers came to town.

The Royals have a decent team, the free agents we got our good pickups just not superstars. Like I have said if we had Beltran and Dye with most of the roster now we would have a darn good team.
The problem is that when the royals have players who begin to develop into really good players, they lose them to teams who can afford to pay them more.

keg in kc
07-02-2006, 11:26 PM
A good offense and great defense behind them can help make average pitching alot better.Maybe. But we don't have average pitching. We roll out 5 guys who'd be 5th starters or bullpen arms on any other roster.

What we need to do is develop pitching and keep that. You can replace Beltrans, Dyes and Damons.

tk13
07-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm sure there probably is more (har har MOORE... get it... more, Moore... nevermind) accountability now because Moore doesn't seem to be afraid to trade anybody. He isn't making rash decisions but I don't think anybody is safe.

Although, I do think a large part of it is that we're actually getting healthy. That's all I've said since April, I just want to see this team relatively healthy. That's hard with Sweeney always being hurt... but, DeJesus was hurt early in the season, he comes back, our offense certainly looks better. Our starting pitching still isn't great but Redman coming back stabilized it a bit. Enough to make things a little more respectable. Now we just need MacDougal to get back in the bullpen.

chiefqueen
07-03-2006, 06:07 AM

They were both gone before we started losing 100 games a season.