PDA

View Full Version : Apartments

luv
07-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm moving in December due to the fact that my rent will be jumping up $55 per month from where it's at now. I'm in the process of doing some virtual apartment hunting via computer (will start actual hunt once the date gets closer). In order to get what I've got now, it will be a little cheaper than what my rent here will be. I'm tempted to just stay here. I'm sure the things that bother me about this place will be present at other apartment complexes.

Specs on my apartment now:

Rent - will be $550/month
1 BR, 1 BA, 750 sq ft, I'm the only one who has lived in it
Living room - 12' 6" x 16'
Bedroom - 12' 6" x 11' 7"
All appliances, W/D hookups
Rent includes all trash and utilities except electric, Cable + HBO, High Speed Internet
On the premises is a pool, hot tub, community center, workout room, laundry center, and fishing pond

How is that compared to where you live? I was thinking of going for a cheaper 2 BR in order to have a separate office, but I'd still have to pay for cable and internet if I don't find a place where it's included.

Eskimo Joe
07-02-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm moving in December due to the fact that my rent will be jumping up $55 per month from where it's at now. I'm in the process of doing some virtual apartment hunting via computer (will start actual hunt once the date gets closer). In order to get what I've got now, it will be a little cheaper than what my rent here will be. I'm tempted to just stay here. I'm sure the things that bother me about this place will be present at other apartment complexes.

Specs on my apartment now:

Rent - will be $550/month
1 BR, 1 BA, 750 sq ft, I'm the only one who has lived in it
Living room - 12' 6" x 16'
Bedroom - 12' 6" x 11' 7"
All appliances, W/D hookups
Rent includes all trash and utilities except electric, Cable + HBO, High Speed Internet
On the premises is a pool, hot tub, community center, workout room, laundry center, and fishing pond

How is that compared to where you live? I was thinking of going for a cheaper 2 BR in order to have a separate office, but I'd still have to pay for cable and internet if I don't find a place where it's included.

In the past 6 years I have lived in 3 apartments and 1 guest house.
First was a 3 br all paid. Fully furnished place. All appliances including W/D and TV. Cable upgrade was $50.00. Free broadband internet. $1387.00 a month. Southeast U.S.

Second was a 1 br all paid. Fully furnished, no W/D or hookups. Weekly free maid service. Free cable with 4 movie channels. Laundry on site, pool. $1095.00 a month. Mid South U.S.

Third is a studio. Unfurnished, no w/d hookup. Appliances provided.
Cable was on me. Water was on me. HS internet was on me. $319.00 a month + $50 electric, $110 Cable & internet, $11.75 water/sewer. Central South U.S.

Currently in guest house. Free. dialup internet - free. Laundry service daily - free. Free long distance calling worldwide. 3 meals served daily - Free. No fun - free. No english speaking friends - free. All the bottled water I can drink - free. No diet soda's - free. Location - far side of the world.

milkman
07-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Where I live, $550 a month would just about be enough to rent a dilapidated outhouse.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2006, 06:19 PM
I hate to say I told you so....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133193&page=2

luv
07-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Where I live, $550 a month would just about be enough to rent a dilapidated outhouse.
Well, I guess I shouldn't complain, then. It's almost not worth moving just to save $25-50/month, but a part of me wants a change. Then again, I'd have to pack all this shit. However, I think it'll be worth it. There's a place I'm looking at that's a little closer to work than where I'm at. I don't use that much gas anyway, but I'd use even less that way.

luv
07-02-2006, 06:22 PM
I hate to say I told you so....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133193&page=2
Any particular post in that thread you're referring to? All I pay in utilities is electric. Ranges anywhere from $25-45/month.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Any particular post in that thread you're referring to? All I pay in utilities is electric. Ranges anywhere from $25-45/month.
Post 22
:p

luv
07-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Post 22
:p
Ah, yes. After looking around on the internet, I can see that I was getting off cheap, as well.

4th and Long
07-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm currently in a 1 bedroom.

Rent: $515
Living Room - 15 x 14.5
Bedroom - 11 x 15
Kitchen - 6 x 11.5
Dining Room - 8.5 x 11.5
Bathroom - ?
All appliances sans a microwave
Laundry Facility on site
Rent includes all trash. Water is paid. I pay electric, gas and cable.
On the premises is a pool.
Large shopping center 1/2 mile away. Wal-Mart 1/2 mile away. Tons of places to eat, less than 1/2 mile away.

FAX
07-02-2006, 06:27 PM
If you lose more weight, Ms. luv. Maybe you could just live in a locker at the airport?

FAX

luv
07-02-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm currently in a 1 bedroom.

Rent: $515
Living Room - 15 x 14.5
Bedroom - 11 x 15
Kitchen - 6 x 11.5
Dining Room - 8.5 x 11.5
Bathroom - ?
All appliances sans a microwave
Laundry Facility on site
Rent includes all trash. Water is paid. I pay electric, gas and cable.
On the premises is a pool.
Large shopping center 1/2 mile away. Wal-Mart 1/2 mile away. Tons of places to eat, less than 1/2 mile away.
That makes me thankful. I also have shopping, restaurants, and groceries within a few miles.

luv
07-02-2006, 06:30 PM
If you lose more weight, Ms. luv. Maybe you could just live in a locker at the airport?

FAX
Gotta have room for company.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Ah, yes. After looking around on the internet, I can see that I was getting off cheap, as well.
You still skated for another year though. I'm sure that's the reason for the increase, and you're going to pay for it no matter where you go. I got lucky once and found an apt with an electric heat pump. It's probably rare to find but keep an eye out for that.

luv
07-02-2006, 06:34 PM
You still skated for another year though. I'm sure that's the reason for the increase, and you're going to pay for it no matter where you go. I got lucky once and found an apt with an electric heat pump. It's probably rare to find but keep an eye out for that.
A few other things I'm looking for....

Ample parking.
End aparment.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2006, 06:37 PM

Ample parking.
End aparment.
ROFL Good luck with that.

milkman
07-02-2006, 06:38 PM

Ample
End

FYP.

4th and Long
07-02-2006, 06:38 PM
:spock:

I have TONS of ample parking where I live.

luv
07-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Actually, parking halfway to the next county (sarcasm) can be considered good for me. I just hate getting home from work at 12:30AM and walking across the property. I live in a good neighborhood, but still. And on Friday nights when I get home that late, there are partiers on their balconies. I hate walking where they can watch me. Just bugs me.

luv
07-02-2006, 06:41 PM
FYP.
Umm...never mind. ROFL

4th and Long
07-02-2006, 06:42 PM
And on Friday nights when I get home that late, there are partiers on their balconies. I hate walking where they can watch me. Just bugs me.
You really need to move on past that self conscious thing.

luv
07-02-2006, 06:43 PM
You really need to move on past that self conscious thing.
Even if I was hot and thin, I just don't like people watching me.

4th and Long
07-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Even if I was hot and thin, I just don't like people watching me.
Why?

luv
07-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Why?
It just bugs me when I don't know them. I like to keep to myself.

4th and Long
07-02-2006, 06:46 PM
You'll never make any new friends THAT way.

milkman
07-02-2006, 06:46 PM

Selfish bitch!!!! :p

luv
07-02-2006, 06:48 PM
You'll never make any new friends THAT way.
I don't know any of my neighbors by name. Few by sight. I'm just shy.

Saulbadguy
07-02-2006, 06:49 PM
I pay $525 a month for a 1k sq ft Condo. That includes water, extended cable, trash, snow removal, home owners insurance, etc.

I also own the place. Get an FHA loan, and build up some equity. Of course, that is only if you plan on living where you live for at least a few years. Renting is a rip off.

4th and Long
07-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm just shy.
I don't believe that for one second.

sedated
07-02-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't know any of my neighbors by name. Few by sight. I'm just shy.

you must mean in person.

on the anonymous internet...not so much :p

luv
07-02-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't believe that for one second.
It's easy to hide behind typed words on a bb. I don't have to be shy on here.

4th and Long
07-02-2006, 06:57 PM
It's easy to hide behind typed words on a bb. I don't have to be shy on here.
*ahem* I still don't believe it. *ahem*

Bearcat
07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
The main reason I live north of the river is because of rent prices... a decent apartment is $500-600... central air, probably no laundry hookups, pool, gym, etc. The market on mine is $525, I think, and I got it for $450. It's only 650 sq feet, so smaller than yours.... deck, laundry is downstairs so it's pretty convenient... pool, gym, lots of parking, and on the end so I only share one wall with another apartment (and they're old and quiet).

luv
07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
you must mean in person.

on the anonymous internet...not so much :p
I know what I'll do! I'll be moving in on December 1. Christmas season! I can bake a few dozen cookies, put them on paper plate and wrap them in decoratively colored plastic wrap, put a bow on top and sit them in front of my neighbors doors. Of course adding a tag saying from my name and aparment number.

milkman
07-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I know what I'll do! I'll be moving in on December 1. Christmas season! I can baked a few dozen cookies, put them on paper plate and wrap them in decoratively colored plastic wrap, put a bow on top and sit them in front of my neighbors doors.

Is can baked better than oven baked?

4th and Long
07-02-2006, 07:08 PM
ROFL

I read it that way too, the first time and was like, "WTF? Can baked?"

Uh oh. I'm starting to think like milkman now. :spock:

luv
HA! Corrected it before you posted! But damn you for quoting before I corrected it! ROFL

Bacon Cheeseburger
Only if you're half baked.

milkman
07-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Only if you're half baked.

Then I better get me some!

sedated
07-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I know what I'll do! I'll be moving in on December 1. Christmas season! I can bake a few dozen cookies, put them on paper plate and wrap them in decoratively colored plastic wrap, put a bow on top and sit them in front of my neighbors doors. Of course adding a tag saying from my name and aparment number.

if you go to all the trouble, at least give them to the people in person.

leaving (possibly poisoned) baked goods by someone's front door doesn't exactly give off a "warm and inviting" feeling

luv
07-02-2006, 07:15 PM
if you go to all the trouble, at least give them to the people in person.

leaving (possibly poisoned) baked goods by someone's front door doesn't exactly give off a "warm and inviting" feeling
That would require meeting them. I guess I could get up the nerve to do that.

tommykat
07-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Until you find what you want, why not move back in with your Dad? :D

luv
07-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Until you find what you want, why not move back in with your Dad? :D
ROFL

I hope he reads that.

ROFL

tommykat
07-02-2006, 07:29 PM
ROFL

I hope he reads that.

ROFL

Doubt it, to freaking funny. :D

papasmurf
07-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Until you find what you want, why not move back in with your Dad? :Dnlmnlm

tommykat
07-02-2006, 07:37 PM
nlmnlm

OOPS, guess not? ROFL

Smoke
07-02-2006, 09:15 PM
I feel sorry for you folks that rent. I really honestly do.

I pay $770 on our home loan for a house I built myself and I feel ripped off every month when I write the check.

To send off hard earned cash for nothing more than just the "here and now" would send me to a early grave...which would open the space for a new renter I suppose.

luv
07-02-2006, 09:46 PM
I feel sorry for you folks that rent. I really honestly do.

I pay $770 on our home loan for a house I built myself and I feel ripped off every month when I write the check.

To send off hard earned cash for nothing more than just the "here and now" would send me to a early grave...which would open the space for a new renter I suppose.
My credit's not great. However, I have never been late with a rent payment or utility payment in the past few years I've lived here. My car will be paid off in March/April of 07, and I've been keeping up with paying on my credit card and on a doctor's bill. Hopefully, in a couple of year's, I'll be ready to buy a place.

Smoke
07-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Your thinking good thoughts. I live about a hour south of Springfield and just got a new neighbor from Chicago, he sold his family "farm" for 17k a acre. He made over 5 mill and kept 40 acres for what he called his kids retirement. I freaking love the guy because I know he'll be ready to pony up more than I would ask for my spread.
Moral of the story, they don't make dirt anymore and land is only going up.
Look into Rogersville and the like and see if you can't swing buying a place and making the drive intill you can cash out.

MVChiefFan
07-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Luv,

I recently moved out of a four-plex that was great. The only reason I moved is because we got a house. It had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, appliances (including dishwasher), w/d hookup in laundry room and one car garage. It's located right behind Kickapoo High School. Great area, never had a problem and only paid $495/month.

luv
07-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Luv,

I recently moved out of a four-plex that was great. The only reason I moved is because we got a house. It had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, appliances (including dishwasher), w/d hookup in laundry room and one car garage. It's located right behind Kickapoo High School. Great area, never had a problem and only paid $495/month.
I know that area. Dad lives over by Kickapoo. That would be cool, but I'd end up haveing to pay for cable and internet. That would put me over where I would be if I stayed here. It is a two bedroom though...I'll have to think about it. Thanks.

sedated
07-03-2006, 10:52 AM
That would require meeting them. I guess I could get up the nerve to do that.

that's the idea.

if they invite you in or whatever, just make up some story about having to go to work or something.

its just putting a face with a name and showing them that you are not a psycho (or at least making them think you aren't)

ChiefsOne
07-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Most of the newer apartments have all the extras. They are a little more expensive though. You should get a roommate, less expensive and get a nicer place. I just moved my daughter and two of her friends in to an apartment this morning. New place, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, W/D hookups, comes with high speed internet and cable. The only thing they will have is electricity. $775 per month and they got the first month free with good credit.

ChiefsOne
07-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Finding an apartment in south Springfield will be no problem, they are building tons.

luv
07-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Most of the newer apartments have all the extras. They are a little more expensive though. You should get a roommate, less expensive and get a nicer place. I just moved my daughter and two of her friends in to an apartment this morning. New place, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, W/D hookups, comes with high speed internet and cable. The only thing they will have is electricity. $775 per month and they got the first month free with good credit.
I'm too old to have a roommate. Wouldn't want one anyway. I did the roommate thing 10 years ago. It was fun, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

sedated
07-03-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm too old to have a roommate. Wouldn't want one anyway. I did the roommate thing 10 years ago. It was fun, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

hubby :shrug:

luv
07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
hubby :shrug:
I wish. Don't see that happening anytime soon. Finding a man would be the only way I'd get a roommate. But I still wouldn't want to move into a place that I couldn't afford on my own. I could see him splitting and leaving me with the bills.

Demonpenz
07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
I am looking to buy a house or condo by next year. Right now though i am 25 and always looking for new work. I would hate to close on a house and find better work in a another city which would happen.

ChiefFan31
07-03-2006, 11:57 AM
You could always be like me and rent a 1bdroom apt for 1,285 per month.

It does have an attached garage, and is nice...

1,000 can get you a shoebox 1 bdr apt in a not so good neighborhood.

enjoy your low rent people :)

luv
07-03-2006, 11:58 AM
You could always be like me and rent a 1bdroom apt for 1,285 per month.

It does have an attached garage, and is nice...

1,000 can get you a shoebox 1 bdr apt in a not so good neighborhood.

enjoy your low rent people :)
I'm sure you make a pretty penny more than me, too. :p

ChiefFan31
07-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm sure you make a pretty penny more than me, too. :p

Its all relative so they say...

I make okay money. Not big pimpin or nothin...

If I was you I would take my sweet time in picking out a new place. I waited for six months to get the place I got now, and it was worth the wait..

luv
07-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Its all relative so they say...

I make okay money. Not big pimpin or nothin...

If I was you I would take my sweet time in picking out a new place. I waited for six months to get the place I got now, and it was worth the wait..
Well, my lease is up December 1. It's move then or stay another year. I can sign a shorter lease, but my rent would be even higher than what they're jacking it up to. The hardest part about looking at apartments is telling them that you're not moving for five months. They say to come back in four months, because they won't know what they have open until then. What they fail to see is that I'm looking now, so I can have an idea of where I would want to live whenever the time comes. I'm just exploring options right now.

ChiefFan31
07-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Well, my lease is up December 1. It's move then or stay another year. I can sign a shorter lease, but my rent would be even higher than what they're jacking it up to. The hardest part about looking at apartments is telling them that you're not moving for five months. They say to come back in four months, because they won't know what they have open until then. What they fail to see is that I'm looking now, so I can have an idea of where I would want to live whenever the time comes. I'm just exploring options right now.

Cool, nice to have time look. Just tell them you want to get pre-approved (if you do decide on a place) and then be in ready status. Them telling you to come back is dumb.

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 01:51 PM
I've had the good fortune of never living in an apartment complex. The closest I've come was a duplex when I got separated from my wife.