PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try to make homemade fireworks ?

chief2000
07-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Fond memories of ripping apart firecrackers and loading them into tube with fins and cheap nose cones.

stumppy
07-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Homemade fireworks or just trying to make something that will explode? :D

KC Jones
07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
yeah... Took apart everything we could find - roman candles, fountains, cherry bombs, etc. and put it all in a paper towel roll wrapped with newspaper. BOOM! Left a pretty good crater. Lucky we didn't blow ourselves apart.

stumppy
07-02-2006, 07:51 PM
yeah... Took apart everything we could find - roman candles, fountains, cherry bombs, etc. and put it all in a paper towel roll wrapped with newspaper. BOOM! Left a pretty good crater. Lucky we didn't blow ourselves apart.
Awww, the good ole days. To this day I am amazed I still have 10 fingers.
Probably a good thing we didn't know about sparkler bombs back then.

Moon§hiner
07-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Fond memories of ripping apart firecrackers and loading them into tube with fins and cheap nose cones.
I'll just say that my friends and I were introduced to the KBI after our production of "fireworks" and we were a bit more advanced than fins and cheap nose cones...that was back in the mid 70's though, so that was before terrorism. Just fun to watch things explode...heh...I outgrew that many years ago

chief2000
07-02-2006, 07:56 PM
You've moved onto moonshining.

chief2000
07-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Sparkler bomb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH2xKkikmrk

stumppy
07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Sparkler bomb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH2xKkikmrk

They damn sure didn't know what they were doing.

If they'd made it right some of them would have been taking a trip to the emergency room.

morphius
07-02-2006, 08:05 PM
We did a few things, the thing we were able to do best was to make smoke bombs that kept changing colors. Most everything else turned into fire spitting torches.

redbrian
07-02-2006, 08:10 PM
A guy I worked for did as a kid, stuff blew up as he was working in his lab, he lost an eye and three fingers.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Used to make sparkler bombs. Man those things rocked.

chief2000
07-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Missouri sparkler bomb. We representing !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfezp_sut0Q&mode=related&search=

Baconeater
07-02-2006, 09:02 PM
We used to buy flash powder at a theatre supply place and pack it into M-80 tubes. That was pretty potent stuff and completely legal.

PastorMikH
07-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Heh heh.

One day I watched Dad build a "Cherry Bomb" out of black powder and a shotgun shell. He stuck a fuse into the powder, then packed and packed a bunch of newspaper onto the powder then taped everything up. It made a pretty good bang. Fascinated by my new-found knowledge, I started building my own (when dad wasn't around). I got to experimenting. Realizing that the key to the explosion had about as much to do with the tightenness of the packing as much as the amount of powder, I tried packing some paper followed by melted candle wax (I got the idea from the M-80s). It worked REALLY well!!! The thrill of a louder bang drove me further. Realizing that there was only so much powder and wax that could be added to a 12 gauge shotgun hull, I started looking for bigger casing. I found a piece of tubing left over from the top railing of the chainlink fence we had put up and cut off about 9 inches of it. I filled one end with a couple inches of wax, then some paper, followed by way too much powder, then the fuse, more paper, and finally some more wax. I stuck the "firecracker" in the woodpile, lit the fuse then ran for cover. It blew the woodpile up. After re-stacking the wood, I decided it was time to retire from building firecrackers.

To this day, I don't think my dad knows about the incident.

ROYC75
07-02-2006, 11:22 PM
1968 ........ we took a very large plastic egg shell, the kind that breaks in half. We drilled a small hole on one end, forced a M-80 wick in it. We over filled the 2 halves and pressed them together with Black Cat powder from the crackers we had, twisting and turning them till the ridges clicked and ducted taped the hell out of it.

Me being the oldest of the 5 boys and could run the fastest, I was elected to light it. We were at my grandmothers for the 4th and we sat it in the garden. Across the street was a church and between the garden and the church was a 4 foot bank of a ditch. My brother, and cousins took their place as I went to light the fuse......

I was expecting a big bang but didn't expect the size of it, crap I was only 11 years old. That thing went off, the dirt being somewhat loose blew a hole roughly 16" deep x 3' wide". It threw dirt and rock in all directions as it broke a window at the church and rattled windows at my grandmothers house. My frigging ears were ringing as it went off as I was going over the ditch. Dirt flew up and covered us pretty good too.

They all ( family ) came out thinking a bomb had gone off....... basically, one did. My uncle who worked at the armory in Davenport Ia. estimated the thing to be 1/8th of a stick of dynamite.

We didn't get to shoot anymore crackers that day.....

greg63
07-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Anyone ever try to make homemade fireworks ?

No.

Otter
07-03-2006, 07:34 AM
"Anyone ever try to make homemade fireworks"?

What are things said preceding 3rd degree burns.

I’ll take “Let's to get in a bar fight with those Navy SEALs” for $1000 Alex.

Gonzo
07-03-2006, 09:27 AM
. :banghead: