View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs Team Report 07/02/06

Tribal Warfare
07-03-2006, 01:17 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html

Chiefs Team Report
7/2/2006

By Adam Teicher
Kansas City Star http://i.tsn.com/i/p/s.gif

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The Chiefs appear more determined than ever to get production from Dante Hall as a slot receiver but that's easier to plan for in the summer than it is to execute in the fall. Getting the ball to Hall is problematic. Hall, at 5-8, is a tough target for QB Trent Green to find. Green often has to make the perfect throw in order to get the ball to him. While Hall remains dangerous in the open field, any touch he gets takes one away from the other big-play threats like Larry Johnson, Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker. The Chiefs also need to be careful not to overuse Hall on offense. His return production has dipped when asked to play a regular offensive role.

SCOUTING REPORT: The career of MLB Kawika Mitchell took a dramatic turn for the better last season. Mitchell showed better instincts and play recognition, took better angles to the ball carrier and was an improved tackler. Mitchell also overcame his tendency to over run plays. Mitchell became so important to the Chiefs that he never came off the field, even on passing downs. Mitchell has the necessary range and skills to continue to be a productive player in the new cover 2 scheme.

COACH UNDER PRESSURE: Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has no more excuses. Over the past two offseasons, the Chiefs have provided him with veteran acquisitions he expressly asked for, both first-round draft choices, a staff he is finally comfortable working with and a head coach who has a like mind and philosophy. The change to the cover 2 system shouldn't provide Cunningham with any problems. The Chiefs have used some elements of cover 2 during his time as coordinator. The Chiefs don't expect their defense to be dominant or be among the best in the league. It should make enough improvement to finally carry its own weight.

INSIDE DISH: Don't underestimate the help Cunningham is getting from new head coach Herm Edwards. Cunningham often felt he was swimming upstream under the offensive-minded Dick Vermeil. That's not the case with Edwards, a former defensive player and coach. Edwards allowed Cunningham to hire defensive assistants he was comfortable with. Vermeil wouldn't budge when Cunningham wanted to change defensive assistants.

TIGHT ENDS ANALYSIS: A-minus. Tony Gonzalez may be aging, but he's still one of the best. Powerful blocker Jason Dunn is a nice complement.

beer bacon
07-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Who exactly would we need at TE to rate an A grade? Gonzalez and Gates?

Also, the comment about our team not expecting have a dominant or elite defense is a bunch of shit. Maybe Carl doesn't, but I am sure Herm and Gunther would both have something pretty emphatic to say about that.

pr_capone
07-03-2006, 02:09 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html

Chiefs Team Report
7/2/2006

By Adam Teicher
Kansas City Star http://i.tsn.com/i/p/s.gif

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS:While Hall remains dangerous in the open field, any touch he gets takes one away from the other big-play threats like Larry Johnson, Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker.

WTF?

Is this guy talking about the same reciever who last season couldnt catch a cold?

I realize the guy is fast.... but he needs to bring the ball in more consistently than he has in the past before we can call him a "big-play threat".

Also.... what?!?!?! No mention of Scanlon vying for the starting roll? This guy is smoking something.

big nasty kcnut
07-03-2006, 02:25 AM
Well parker should be better cause i think with more time to work out he can work on catching the ball.

htismaqe
07-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Teicher's national stuff is better than his more locally-focused stuff.

chiefqueen
07-03-2006, 06:05 AM
"Getting the ball to Dante Hall takes away touches from big play threats" Isn't Dante a big play threat. :hmmm:

NewChief
07-03-2006, 06:39 AM
I can't believe that they continue to pimp Dante as a viable option at WR. Yes, he's dangerous when he can get the ball, but he's way too hard of a target to hit. I continue to worry about our WR corps this year.

morphius
07-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Holy crap, did he get paid for that? What a completely lazy article.

I don't mind them using Hall in the slot some, but you have to put him in motion and stop throwing him that stupid screen pass, its not like there are not a couple small guys around the league who are not damn good WR's. That being said, it should only be for a few snaps a game to keep the D off balance as I hope that one of the young WR's can step up.

FAX
07-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Glad to know that Samie Parker has become a big-play threat. I must have missed that announcement.

FAX

morphius
07-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Glad to know that Samie Parker has become a big-play threat. I must have missed that announcement.

FAX
It was one of the mysteries of the Saunders Offense, lets take the fastest guy on the team and fake out the D by running him on quick in's and quick out's, 'cause they will be expecting him to use his speed to run right past them...

FAX
07-03-2006, 07:11 AM
It was one of the mysteries of the Saunders Offense, lets take the fastest guy on the team and fake out the D by running him on quick in's and quick out's, 'cause they will be expecting him to use his speed to run right past them...

ROFL

Genius. Pure Genius. Al even had the fans confused.

FAX

res chief
07-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Sammie Parker = Joe Horn. Great speed & chiefs never figue out how good he can be, then goes on to be a star on another team.

penguinz
07-03-2006, 07:58 AM
"Getting the ball to Dante Hall takes away touches from big play threats" Isn't Dante a big play threat. :hmmm:No, he is a midget who should not be in on passing downs.

jidar
07-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Stupid n00bs. Parker made some great grabs last year.
Nobody is saying he is T.O., but he's had steady development and there is potential there.

CupidStunt
07-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Stupid n00bs. Parker made some great grabs last year.

He made a few nice plays, and also had a few key drops. He's an ideal #3 receiver (with the idea that a #1 = 1300-1500 yards, #2 = 750-1000 yards, and #3 = 400-600 yards).

AZORChiefFan
07-03-2006, 08:23 AM
"Getting the ball to Dante Hall takes away touches from big play threats" Isn't Dante a big play threat. :hmmm:

You didn't quote the whole sentence. "While Hall remains dangerous in the open field, any touch he gets takes one away from the other big-play threats like Larry Johnson, Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker."

jidar
07-03-2006, 08:34 AM
He made a few nice plays, and also had a few key drops. He's an ideal #3 receiver (with the idea that a #1 = 1300-1500 yards, #2 = 750-1000 yards, and #3 = 400-600 yards).

I don't know why anyone even puts players on the field if they aren't Steve Smith.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-03-2006, 08:57 AM
i could have wrote that shit.

sedated
07-03-2006, 09:15 AM
I think the date on that article was wrong.

It should have been dated 3/2/06.

thepascalblaze
07-03-2006, 09:27 AM
My memories of Parker last year were good and great catches and runs until some point well into the season when he fumbled and lost the ball, maybe even two times close together. After that he would make the catch and fall to the ground. The first couple of times I saw that I understood, but it became tiresome.

I guess what I'm sayin' is that Samie's hands during the catch weren't so much at issue as was his ability to cover up the ball while running.

chief4life
07-03-2006, 09:30 AM
I knew someone would do this lol

sedated
07-03-2006, 09:47 AM
If the ball goes to Parker on a 3rd down, and he gets the 1st, I don't care if he goes down.

Just move the chains and keep possession.

He's still young. That'll change when he gets some confidence.

MOhillbilly
07-03-2006, 09:54 AM
this article reads like a 15 post CP thread from the end of last season.

Coogs
07-03-2006, 02:00 PM
COACH UNDER PRESSURE: Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has no more excuses. Over the past two offseasons, the Chiefs have provided him with veteran acquisitions he expressly asked for, both first-round draft choices, a staff he is finally comfortable working with and a head coach who has a like mind and philosophy. The change to the cover 2 system shouldn't provide Cunningham with any problems. The Chiefs have used some elements of cover 2 during his time as coordinator. The Chiefs don't expect their defense to be dominant or be among the best in the league. It should make enough improvement to finally carry its own weight.

Is their philosophy the same? If so, why are we changing to the cover two? Why wasn't Gun touting the cover two as "The Defense" the past two years instead of just using some elements of the cover two? Afterall, DV was all about the offense, and Gun was in charge of the defense.

big nasty kcnut
07-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Coogs i think it was the fact the other defensive coaches didn't want to use it.

morphius
07-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Is their philosophy the same? If so, why are we changing to the cover two? Why wasn't Gun touting the cover two as "The Defense" the past two years instead of just using some elements of the cover two? Afterall, DV was all about the offense, and Gun was in charge of the defense.
The issue, to me, appeared to be that Gun didn't have any backing from the D position coaches, because they all ran a different style of D and that is what they taught.

We will have to see if that holds true or not this year.

noa
07-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I'd like to see us place most of our emphasis with Dante on our return game. He wasn't bad last year, but he just wasn't the same as two years ago. If he gets things rolling on special teams again, then I have no problem working him into our offensive schemes, but until then, I think we should minimize the amount of the playbook he has to memorize. Its got to be taxing to have to know as much as he does.

Coogs
07-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Coogs i think it was the fact the other defensive coaches didn't want to use it.

I'm not sure I am buying that. Gun didn't come in the first day and say we were going to run the Tampa Cover Two scheme. I have a feeling this is going to be more like a Pittsburgh situation, where you know the defense is going to be the 3-4. Pittsburgh has changed DC's a few times, but every single DC knows the 3-4 is the defense. My feeling is Herm has come in and said we are going to run the Tampa Cover Two scheme. Now it is up to Gun to run it. I wish I had more confidence in that Gun can do just that, but I don't. If Herm stays in charge of the defense, I have faith things will be better. And so far, it looks like Herm is calling the shots.

Bob Dole
07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I don't mind them using Hall in the slot some, but you have to put him in motion and stop throwing him that stupid screen pass, its not like there are not a couple small guys around the league who are not damn good WR's.

Exactly. Send him straight downfield and draw the coverage. Even if you don't intend to throw him the ball, he's going to get attention and someone else will come open underneath.

brent102fire
07-03-2006, 06:45 PM
The Chiefs don't expect their defense to be dominant or be among the best in the league.

What? The Chiefs better expect to be dominant and among the best in the league!!!! What kind of goal is that? I don't think Herm, Gunther or any of the players said they don't expect to be dominant or one of the best. That's like saying we don't expect to go to the playoffs this year during training camp. What kind of goal is that?

Teicher is an :Elvis:

jspchief
07-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Is their philosophy the same? If so, why are we changing to the cover two? Why wasn't Gun touting the cover two as "The Defense" the past two years instead of just using some elements of the cover two? Afterall, DV was all about the offense, and Gun was in charge of the defense.Is it possible to have similar defensive philosophies, but use different schemes to execute them? I think so.

SNR
07-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I'd prefer to never see Hall on offense, except maybe in shotgun situations and end-arounds. I'm sick of these shitty one or two-yard screens on 3rd and 5 where he immediately gets wollaped by a linebacker as soon as he catches it. I hope Solari has more common sense when using Hall than Al ever did.

jspchief
07-03-2006, 09:06 PM
I'd prefer to never see Hall on offense, except maybe in shotgun situations and end-arounds. I'm sick of these shitty one or two-yard screens on 3rd and 5 where he immediately gets wollaped by a linebacker as soon as he catches it. I hope Solari has more common sense when using Hall than Al ever did.I agree, the one highlight play he makes per year doesn't offset the dozens of plays that go nowhere and get him creamed.

I'd be fine with him seeing a much reduced role at WR.

leviw
07-03-2006, 09:21 PM
I agree, the one highlight play he makes per year doesn't offset the dozens of plays that go nowhere and get him creamed.

I'd be fine with him seeing a much reduced role at WR.

More than ever last season he showed the ability to get behind the coverage and make big plays (vs New England, vs Denver and @ Dallas just off the top of my head). I say use him in the offense. Why not? We don't need four TD returns in four games from him...just field position.

SNR
07-03-2006, 09:27 PM
More than ever last season he showed the ability to get behind the coverage and make big plays (vs New England, vs Denver and @ Dallas just off the top of my head). I say use him in the offense. Why not? We don't need four TD returns in four games from him...just field position.He had maybe one good return a game. He used to give us 2 or 3 or even 4 per game. He needs to stop dancing around like a jack russell terrier when he receives, too.

And he made those big plays when we used him as his LISTED use... as a 3rd WR. Meaning we play spread with Kennison, Parker, and THEN Hall, and that's after Green looks at Gonzalez and Johnson, too. Hall is NOT a player you design specific plays for.

jspchief
07-03-2006, 09:30 PM
More than ever last season he showed the ability to get behind the coverage and make big plays (vs New England, vs Denver and @ Dallas just off the top of my head). I say use him in the offense. Why not? We don't need four TD returns in four games from him...just field position.Denver and Dallas were blown coverages, not him beating the coverage. And due to his height, he needs to beat the coverage by several yards for Green to make the throw, whereas a taller receiver can beat his man by a step and be open.

I just think we have other guys that deserve consideration. Hall is solid, and certainly has the hands, but he'll never be more than what he is... a rare big play surrounded by a lot of nothing. I'd like something that's a more consistent threat in the middle of the field.

Coogs
07-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Is it possible to have similar defensive philosophies, but use different schemes to execute them? I think so.

I thought the cover two relied on zone coverage. I could have sworn over the years Gun wanted physical man-to-man cover guys. Isn't that why we got Surtain, for his man skills?