PDA

View Full Version : Really looks like the packers are gonna suck

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Now for the fantasy grades:

Quarterback: Sorry, but we wouldn't touch Lord Favre with a ten-foot tractor. D-.

Running back: Ahman Green has been a stud in the past, but with a quad that got separated from the bone and no clear answer as to when he'll be healthy, we can't give him more than a C- for now. On draft day, it might be a good idea to take a flyer on Dookie, since he might end up getting the bulk of the touches.

Wide receiver: Donald Driver has had a couple of good years, and he held his own last year without Walker, who tore his ACL in the first game of the season. Driver scored only five touchdowns, but was eighth in the league in both receptions and receiving yards. We'll give him a B+ for now, but if the wheels come off early for the team, his production surely will drop. Robert Ferguson has largely been a disappointment for the Packers. He scored seven touchdowns in 2003 and eight in 2004, but his catches and yards have never been as good as they need to be. He gets a C-. If Gardner or Boerigter manage to win the starting job across from Driver before the draft, give either one a C.

Tight End: Bubba Franks has the name recognition, but he's caught 50 or more balls only once, and he never has had double-digit touchdowns. Find a third receiver if you can.

Defense: Pick the Packers defense only if the other ones left are the Saints, Cardinals, Raiders, and Bills.

Kicker: The Packers let Ryan Longwell leave for Minnesota, and couldn't close the deal with Adam Vinatieri. Billy Cundiff has the job for now, but it wouldn't surprise us if someone else has the gig come September 10. Billy won't be a hero for the Pack, and he gets a D from PFT.

Again, there's a chance that the Packers could put it together. They lost plenty of close games in 2005; with a little luck, things could have been very different. Still, things just have a more tenuous feel for the Packers this time around -- and team won't begin to improve significantly until Lord Favre finally retires and the team begins life without him.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-03-2006, 10:02 AM
This is breaking news. I really thought the Pack was gonna have a great year. :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 10:04 AM
This is breaking news. I really thought the Pack was gonna have a great year. :rolleyes:
darn it ... i knew i should of started a Poop thread instead. :harumph:

:spock:

ChiefsfaninPA
07-03-2006, 10:06 AM

According to some people on this BB, there is not enough football talk so at least it is good in that respect.

ct
07-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Looking for a team with some fantasy bargains? Houston.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Looking for a team with some fantasy bargains? Houston.

Just wondering. You seem to be into FF a little. At least your title says so. Is being good a FF have anything to do with luck? We have a guy in our office that spends hours everyday reading mags, looking at websites and other weird time things but yet he never manages to win any of his leagues. The guy can talk a good game about players and their stats, but has no luck beating people who research less and only play for fun. I am under the opinion that a majority of its is more luck that skill. Disagree?

pr_capone
07-03-2006, 10:27 AM

You did.... check it out at http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=143138

ROFL

sedated
07-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Is being good a FF have anything to do with luck?

I tend to think so, at least some of it is.

It's just as hard to predict who will have a great year individually as it is to predict what teams will do well.

Sure, expertise will give you an advantage, but in many cases it can blind you as well

ChiefsfaninPA
07-03-2006, 10:37 AM
I tend to think so, at least some of it is.

It's just as hard to predict who will have a great year individually as it is to predict what teams will do well.

Sure, expertise will give you an advantage, but in many cases it can blind you as well

Those are my lines of thinking as well. There is no way to know what players will be injured, who will have a break out year, who will suck after previously being a FF lock of the century.... I try to tell this clown this all of the time, but he swears that it is just luck that others are winning and he is not.

ct
07-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Just wondering. You seem to be into FF a little. At least your title says so. Is being good a FF have anything to do with luck? We have a guy in our office that spends hours everyday reading mags, looking at websites and other weird time things but yet he never manages to win any of his leagues. The guy can talk a good game about players and their stats, but has no luck beating people who research less and only play for fun. I am under the opinion that a majority of its is more luck that skill. Disagree?

I disagree, to a point. There is significant luck involved. Injury bugs can kill a team, as well as some guys can just break out and have huge seasons. You're basically playing %s, doing the homework, drafting well, and some choice FA pickups, will usually keep you towards the top. Usually...

ct
07-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Those are my lines of thinking as well. There is no way to know what players will be injured, who will have a break out year, who will suck after previously being a FF lock of the century.... I try to tell this clown this all of the time, but he swears that it is just luck that others are winning and he is not.

Just because this guy has a folder and mags, doesn't mean he has a clue.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I disagree, to a point. There is significant luck involved. Injury bugs can kill a team, as well as some guys can just break out and have huge seasons. You're basically playing %s, doing the homework, drafting well, and some choice FA pickups, will usually keep you towards the top. Usually...

At least you sound like there are no known variables. This guy swears it is a science involved that has NOTHING to do with luck.

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 11:02 AM
According to some people on this BB, there is not enough football talk so at least it is good in that respect.So you are retreating a bit are ya?

ChiefsfaninPA
07-03-2006, 11:05 AM
So you are retreating a bit are ya?

Just a little bit. :)

ct
07-03-2006, 11:12 AM
At least you sound like there are no known variables. This guy swears it is a science involved that has NOTHING to do with luck.

This is why he sucks, he's FOS!!

Building your team to anticipate and absorb minor injuries is a MUST! But still you may get whacked. I went into our playoffs last year in a 'fun' league with 4 starting RBs, won the 1st round game. With the FA waivers closed in post-season, my 2nd round playoff game I had a whopping total of ZERO healthy RBs suited up. Whatcha gonna do with that? Better luck next year, that's what.

Another example on the other end of the spectrum. My competitive league's title game 2 years ago. Each of us had a question at RB, who may not be able to play. I benched mine and played Emmitt Smith, who weakly earned me 10 points. They didn't have ANY depth, literally nobody to even plug in, so had to play Brian Westbrook. Philly, having clinched home field, decided not to play him at all, giving a big fat donut. We win the title by 7 points.

SNR
07-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Let's not forget that their O-line is young and inexperienced

ck_IN
07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
They seem a little hard on Farve but other then that I'd agree with them.

The problem with Farve is he'll see the scoreboard and he'll try and do too much which will result in an int or fumble. If he plays within himself he's still a heck of a QB.

Demonpenz
07-03-2006, 11:47 AM
linebacker core has speed to burn

JohnnyV13
07-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I once won 11 consecutive FF league titles (it didn't take me 11 years, I usually play 2 or 3 leagues a year).

I KNOW I had some good luck to pull off that many consecutive wins, but there is also skill involved.

I tended to win my FF leagues on the undrafted bonepile. There are undrafted guys that emerge EVERY year. Often, they are pretty easy to spot early in the season. They will have a big early game and they will also be in the right situation for consistent success. A couple of examples for me last season were Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway. Neither were drafted in my FF league and I picked up both early b/c I missed the first 7 rounds of the draft and got stuck with a lot of players I wouldn't have picked through the autodraft. I had been left with a big weakness at WR.

Despite a terrible draft, I managed to finish 3rd in my league (my first loss in years). To tell you how bad my draft was, I had autodrafted Willis McGahee and Corey Dillon as my first two picks. Though they had stats I NEVER would have taken those guys that early. McGahee was playing with Losman as his starting QB and that was going to hurt his stats, while Corey Dillon has taken a lot of pounding. I also auto drafted Brett Favre, again, a player I probably wouldn't have taken as early as the computer.

But, reading magazines isn't how you win FF. I almost NEVER read FF columns. I do look at stats, but the most important thing is to understand how a player fits into his team.

ChiefFan31
07-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Just because this guy has a folder and mags, doesn't mean he has a clue.

Eggzactly. Going by just some mag that was printed about this time of year, doesnt mean one would know what they are doing.

Sure there is some luck, but its mostly injuries and what team has a great season. Having depth is key, and also having the time to scour the waiver wire, and monitor injuries. You will need to do that at some point during the season...

Bwana
07-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Where is fudge Packer Ken (love child of Carl Peterson and Phillis Diller) when you need him to defend the honor of his team? :hmmm:

SNR
07-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Random pic time?

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/062603/a-man-walks-into.gif

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-03-2006, 02:39 PM
no way i'm touching favre or green in FFL this year.

Coach
07-03-2006, 03:50 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Packers O-Line will do, along with Gado. Would have been nice to have Gado back as a Chief.

jspchief
07-03-2006, 04:42 PM
At least you sound like there are no known variables. This guy swears it is a science involved that has NOTHING to do with luck.IMO, the only place you really need to rely on luck is in regards to injuries. You can draft the best team in the history of FF, but if you lose some key guys to injury, you're fooked.

Doing your homework can definately give you an advantage over those that don't get into it as much. But if you're in a league with guys that all put in the same effort, it really is going to be about injuries and a little luck.