PDA

View Full Version : Where do YOU got the Chiefs Defense?

hypersensitiveZO6
07-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Support your decision with a reason.

The offseason boredom has commenced and is in full throttle.

We need some hardcore chiefs talk right about NOW.

I think the defense will be ranked 13th. The defensive line will be the weakest point. I see them putting in the young guys though, which we need. The new aquisitions (Tamba, Ron Edward) will get some playing time. I see the d line to be pretty intense, but will come out rusty, and not gell. They will improve toward the end of season. The linebackers will make up for them. I see the linebackers (DJ, Mitchell, KeyFox? Bell? Griffin?) making the most significant improvement on the team. I see them finishing plays, breaking up passes, causing havoc, delivering big hits (DJ) and being one of the top linebacker groups in the league. Boomer and Scanlon will put whoop ass on special teams. The secondary will be improved, but not nearly as much as the linebackers. I think the main improvement in the secondary will be they will be much more disiplined next year and won't give up the big so much. Surtain will start and Lenny Walls, Benny Sapp, and Julian Battle will rotate. As for the safeties, the starter should stay the same. Sammy Knight will be an excellent mentor for Pollard and will teach him. Pollard could start toward the end of season. Wesley, Knight, and Pollard will be in a rotation. The new coaches with Herm Edward in company will help teach the CORRECT techniques in tackling that has been a MAJOR problem. Gun and Herm will get the new cover 2 scheme intact and I think will be the main defense for next year. The overall team defense will be better just because of improved tackling, better coaching, and a stricter, more nasty style of defense.

Guru
07-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I don't "got" them anywhere. But I do HAVE them at 19.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-04-2006, 12:30 AM
I think they'll be #9. That is based off of them signing Ty Law which I firmly believe will happen before this month is over.

pr_capone
07-04-2006, 12:36 AM

No joke.... I picked them at 19 as well...... before reading your post.

There will be improvement in our D this year.... but not enough to put us in the top 15.

DJ and Allen will put up monster numbers this year but the rest of the D will suffer with names as Simms and Battle still in the line-up.

Our depth in corners (unless the whole Ty Law thing happens) as well as, the LB core is of grave concern. Scanlon is currently listed as the ONLY 2nd stringer on the roster (http://www.kcchiefs.com/depth_chart/) at LB. I would rather have Grigsby as the 2nd stringer on heart alone. Kendrell Bell, a HUGE bust last season, is listed as the starting ROLB and has yet to prove that he deserves a starting job on the roster.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-04-2006, 12:58 AM
I really do think we'll end up signing Ty Law, and with his attitude and leadership, and hopeful improved play at the line, I say #16.

Tribal Warfare
07-04-2006, 12:58 AM
anything over 15 is just hoping, and I was being generous with my vote KC will be 18-25th ranked unless Herm will take total control from the last remaining stooge

htismaqe
07-04-2006, 04:55 AM
I think there was more of an attitude problem than what we were all aware of.

Herm alone gets them to "eleven".

Bwana
07-04-2006, 06:01 AM
I went with 19 as well. Not the bottom of the pot, but not even close to top 10. We still need to fill a few holes for that to happen IMHO.

4th and Long
07-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Where do YOU got the Chiefs Defense?
Got? :shake:

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 08:09 AM
I put them number 7. The improvement of the young players, such as DJ and Allen. The strength of the defensive coaching will will make a dramatic difference this year. The defense not being treated like an "also ran" will help their attitude and confidence.
Sadly, I am just hoping the Offense can stay in the top 10, I am worried about it. We are going to really miss TRich.

Mecca
07-04-2006, 08:12 AM

Herm alone gets them to "eleven".

Eric Hicks better get cut then if we're going to change that attitude.....

penguinz
07-04-2006, 08:13 AM
I put them number 7. The improvement of the young players, such as DJ and Allen. The strength of the defensive coaching will will make a dramatic difference this year. The defense not being treated like an "also ran" will help their attitude and confidence.
Sadly, I am just hoping the Offense can stay in the top 10, I am worried about it. We are going to really miss TRich.I might be wrong but I don't remember TRich being on the field much when LJ was running the ball.

Mecca
07-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Richardson probably played 10% of the offensive snaps if you don't count the ridiculous nature of putting him in soley to block on passing downs. It's not near the loss people are making it out to be.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 08:26 AM
I might be wrong but I don't remember TRich being on the field much when LJ was running the ball.

Richardson probably played 10% of the offensive snaps if you don't count the ridiculous nature of putting him in soley to block on passing downs. It's not near the loss people are making it out to be.

The Homer in me wants to believe it is no big loss, really. But I think it is.

penguinz
07-04-2006, 08:30 AM
He was not on the field so how could it be a big loss!?

Mecca
07-04-2006, 08:32 AM
It's just because he was here for so long, alot of teams don't even use fullbacks now. It's a position that is being phased out.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 08:51 AM
He was not on the field so how could it be a big loss!?

Easy big fella, just my opinion.

It's just because he was here for so long, alot of teams don't even use fullbacks now. It's a position that is being phased out.

Not intending to hijack this Defense thread into an offense thread, but IIRC he played a larger role against strong run defensive teams.

OldTownChief
07-04-2006, 09:05 AM
1st
I don't need no stinkin reason.

Simplex3
07-04-2006, 09:18 AM
I went with 21 #2, which I assume is 23.

CupidStunt
07-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Last year - #16 in points, don't even know about yards.

Next year - #13 in points, #20-something in yards

StcChief
07-04-2006, 11:56 AM
D improves to 15th with solid play of DT's, two consistent rushing DE's. Ball hawking/tackling occasional blitzing LBs.

Still get burned occasionally at CB / FS

SNR
07-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I get MY Chiefs defense at Walmart... I don't know about the rest of you

CupidStunt
07-04-2006, 12:46 PM
There needs to be some clarification as to whether we're ranking yards or points.

Those who are calling it wildly optimistic and/or unrealistic for the Chiefs to have a top 15 type of defense are obviously thinking yards. And if that's the case, maybe so.

JMO, but yards mean dick in comparison to points.

dj56dt58
07-04-2006, 02:15 PM
I think we will wind up top 10 as Gunther will run onto the field and bitch slap someone everytime they miss a tackle

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 02:21 PM
1st
I don't need no stinkin reason.

And what is your drink of choice today? :p

KCChiefsMan
07-04-2006, 02:27 PM
no where do YOU got the chiefs defense.......shooot

pr_capone
07-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I think we will wind up top 10 as Gunther will run onto the field and bitch slap someone everytime they miss a tackle

If he hasnt been doing that already the past 2 years he has been here.... he wont do it this year.

I was a big fan of Gunther comming back but so far he has done jack shit. I give him (personally of course) one more year to get our D shored up.

In the past he has bitched about how he didnt have the players he wanted... he got them and the D still blew. Then he cried DV style about how he didnt have the coaches he wanted. Now not only does he have them... but he also has a D minded head coach in Edwards.

If he doesnt pull his head out of his ass this year and give us at LEAST a mid-teens defense, I will want Guns head on a pike.

dj56dt58
07-04-2006, 02:31 PM
If he hasnt been doing that already the past 2 years he has been here.... he wont do it this year.

I was a big fan of Gunther comming back but so far he has done jack shit. I give him (personally of course) one more year to get our D shored up.

In the past he has bitched about how he didnt have the players he wanted... he got them and the D still blew. Then he cried DV style about how he didnt have the coaches he wanted. Now not only does he have them... but he also has a D minded head coach in Edwards.

If he doesnt pull his head out of his ass this year and give us at LEAST a mid-teens defense, I will want Guns head on a pike.
true..but he isn't on a tight leash with DV gone. He's already called Sims a fat worthless piece of shit. he's starting to get his attitude back..the attitude than takes fat lazy pieces of shit like Sims and lights a fire under them and gets them to play like their life is on the line(or in Sims case a Big Mac)

pr_capone
07-04-2006, 02:38 PM
true..but he isn't on a tight leash with DV gone. He's already called Sims a fat worthless piece of shit. he's starting to get his attitude back..the attitude than takes fat lazy pieces of shit like Sims and lights a fire under them and gets them to play like their life is on the line(or in Sims case a Big Mac)

We have all been calling Simms a fat piece of shit for years.... that is nothing new. lol

We shall just have to wait and see. I'll keep my mouth shut if Simms has 3 sacks in the first 2 games.

Deberg_1990
07-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Im not sure i GOT the Chiefs denfense yet????

Anyhow...........i would say ranked around the middle of the pack. I really pray we sign Ty Law, but i still believe the problem goes far deep than just signing him. Hopefully we develop a consistant pass rush and learn how to tackle when it really matters (mostly on 3rd downs) although that improved somewhat last year. Either way, i believe Gunther is a sitting duck this year and will most likely become the scapegoat for whatever breakdowns occur in the regular season or a loss in the playoffs.....Just wait....I would bet on it.

Logical
07-04-2006, 03:11 PM
I will go 18 despite my doubts about the secondary with the lack of a quality number 2 corner. D-line will improve some but not significantly. LBs should be our strength.

plbrdude
07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
#18 seems very doable. though i'd prefer to see a ranking tween 10-15, not sure we can do that. pass-d still suspect.

Gonzo
07-04-2006, 03:21 PM
ROFL
Somebody needs the phonics monkey.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-04-2006, 03:51 PM
#15 Sapp opposite of Surtain is a scary thought

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 04:46 PM
We have all been calling Simms a fat piece of shit for years.... that is nothing new. lol

We shall just have to wait and see. I'll keep my mouth shut if Simms has 3 sacks in the first 2 games.

Who is this Simms you speak of?

Halfcan
07-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Scanlon says it all-#1 Baby!!!!

dj56dt58
07-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Who is this Simms you speak of?
Just let it go man..some people will never learn

htismaqe
07-04-2006, 07:34 PM
#15 Sapp opposite of Surtain is a scary thought

Like you'll ever see Sapp opposite Surtain. Walls is going to start unless something happens with Law.

keg in kc
07-04-2006, 07:57 PM
"Where do YOU got"?

Where the **** did some of you people learn English?

hypersensitiveZO6
07-04-2006, 08:08 PM
The using of the word "got" was completely intentional. I understand that it's not correct, but it was just intended to add something to the thread title. Sorry if it angered anyone. My apologies also for the second 21 in the poll.

Mr. Laz
07-04-2006, 08:17 PM
i really have no idea

Edwards and the new defensive coaches could make a huge, huge difference.

i'm a firm believer that coaching makes the difference in the NFL.

of course we still have gunther ...... but with a defensive head coache holding his hand he might be acceptable.

15-20 would be my guess ... but it's a complete guess at this point.

Mr. Laz
07-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Like you'll ever see Sapp opposite Surtain. Walls is going to start unless something happens with Law.
has wall ever stayed healthy for a full year?

without Law, i think it's almost a given that you'll see someone across from surtain besides Wall (sapp is the best guess right now).

blueballs
07-04-2006, 08:29 PM
after looking at the soccer cheerleader
thread I had to tap no.11

ChiefFan31
07-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Wow, lots of Grammer Nazi's on this site...

I think 15-17 would make me nice and happy. Hopefully that will happen..at least get in the teens I am hoping for

I think if we can get at least decent to sometimes good interior D-line play that will make a nice difference along with improvment in D end play. Counting on Tamba making an impact of course.

Linebackers are the strength and core of this D (been well covered already)

Secondary, must get better safety play so we can move Surtain up to more bump and run type coverage, and Ty Law would be nice, but im just sitting back and watching on that one...

Hopefully Greg "Bad Angle" Wesley will have a better year and Pollard will make Knight step up his play too...

Sam Hall
I think Herm will coach them up to 18th. This is assuming that Law signs here. We're going to see that a new philosophy makes a difference. There will be more flashes of brilliance and few costly mistakes. I think the defense may actually know what it's doing out there. The linebackers should be a stength. The line is still questionable, but not the disaster it once was. I'm concerned about the safeties. I think Pollard will have to be ready early on.

hypersensitiveZO6
Sadly, I am just hoping the Offense can stay in the top 10, I am worried about it. We are going to really miss TRich.

I worry about that, too. Then I remember Larry Johnson.

milkman
07-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Without consistent tackle play, this defense will still be inconsistent.

If any from the group that includes Sims, Dalton, Edwards and Reed, should actually step up and become a player that the middle of the offensive line has to contend with, then the D can improve to as high as #15.

If they are all still nothing more than a bunch of stiffs, then the highest this D will rank will be around #19 or #20.

TinyEvel
07-05-2006, 02:13 AM
I think they'll be #9. That is based off of them signing Ty Law which I firmly believe will happen before this month is over.

Man, don't you listen to Coach Edwards??!!

"Ty law will sign somewhere before training camp. That's all I 'm going to say, you can say what you're gonna say and I'll say what I need to say, but all I'm sayin is that Ty Law, last I checked, had not signed. He needs the money to be right, a big paycheck, and last I checked, I did not sign a check. Or a big check, last I checked"

pr_capone
07-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Man, don't you listen to Coach Edwards??!!

"Ty law will sign somewhere before training camp. That's all I 'm going to say, you can say what you're gonna say and I'll say what I need to say, but all I'm sayin is that Ty Law, last I checked, had not signed. He needs the money to be right, a big paycheck, and last I checked, I did not sign a check. Or a big check, last I checked"

I'm confused. :(

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 05:24 AM
I see alot of people picking into the 20's.

Does everybody not realize this defense was 16th in points against last year?

Or is everybody thinking about yardage?

milkman
07-05-2006, 06:39 AM
I see alot of people picking into the 20's.

Does everybody not realize this defense was 16th in points against last year?

Or is everybody thinking about yardage?

Since hyper didn't specify points against, I went with yards.

ck_IN
07-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Technically I don't 'got' the defense anywhere. Now where do I 'have' them?

I'm guessing somewhere in the low 20's. Regardless of what spin they put on it, the cover 2 is a new system and it's only as good as the amount of pressure the front 4 can put on the QB. Unless Hali comes out of the box a monster we're not going to get consistent pressure on the QB.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 07:02 AM
9th.

i still think the D-line will play better than the majority of you retards think.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 08:19 AM
9th.

i still think the D-line will play better than the majority of you retards think.

Every time you say it, I get more hopeful.

Damn you, hillbilly. Damn you to hillbilly hell. Or the Ozarks...whichever is worse.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Every time you say it, I get more hopeful.

Damn you, hillbilly. Damn you to hillbilly hell. Or the Ozarks...whichever is worse.

think about it. the only hole i see is the vacant CB position.
The new d-line coach seems like hes smart and the kind of coach players respond to.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 08:26 AM
think about it. the only hole i see is the vacant CB position.
The new d-line coach seems like hes smart and the kind of coach players respond to.

I think he can address the motivation issues on the line, particularly with Sims, but he can't force them to stay HEALTHY, which all of them seem to have had issues with (Browning, Sims, Edwards, Siavii).

But I see your point, and I'll raise you a LENNY WALLS.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 08:31 AM
I think he can address the motivation issues on the line, particularly with Sims, but he can't force them to stay HEALTHY, which all of them seem to have had issues with (Browning, Sims, Edwards, Siavii).

But I see your point, and I'll raise you a LENNY WALLS.

health is always a crapshoot. it will happen this season, and a starter in all likelyhood will go out.
Then its up to the coaches to impliment and motivate.

A LONG LONG time ago an old D-line coach screamed in my ear "ATTITUDE AND EFFORT!"

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 08:32 AM
health is always a crapshoot. it will happen this season, and a starter in all likelyhood will go out.
Then its up to the coaches to impliment and motivate.

A LONG LONG time ago an old D-line coach screamed in my ear "ATTITUDE AND EFFORT!"

Well, I just hope you're right about Sims. He has all the tools to be one of the top DT's in the game...

ChiTown
07-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Well, I just hope you're right about Sims. He has all the tools to be one of the top DT's in the game...

I agree. Thus far, Sims has been a giant tool........

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 08:57 AM

honestly on one hand we have upswing w/ sims and allen starting.

but our strength lies in our LBs and safety play.

regardless i think it will be really hard to run against the KC front.

also think that we will see lots of 7-8-9 in the box,on run and passing downs.

the LBs are super talented.(did i already say that?)

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 09:02 AM

regardless i think it will be really hard to run against the KC front.

also think that we will see lots of 7-8-9 in the box,on run and passing downs.

the LBs are super talented.(did i already say that?)

I hope we can find a way to get Pollard on the field, at least on running downs, to let him get his feet wet and hit some people. We need his attitude in a big way...

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 09:06 AM
I hope we can find a way to get Pollard on the field, at least on running downs, to let him get his feet wet and hit some people. We need his attitude in a big way...

id lay heavy odds itll happen early.

pollard has me stoked but dont expect much till oct/nov.(depends on how smart the guy is)

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 09:08 AM
id lay heavy odds itll happen early.

pollard has me stoked but dont expect much till oct/nov.(depends on how smart the guy is)

I don't expect him to be out there much in obvious passing situations, at least not in the 1st half of the season. He's more of a 4th LB right now...

noa
07-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I think our defense will be ranked better this year not necessarily because our defense will be incredibly better (even with Ty Law) but because a lot of the teams we will play will have QB issues.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I think our defense will be ranked better this year not necessarily because our defense will be incredibly better (even with Ty Law) but because a lot of the teams we will play will have QB issues.

works for me!

ck_IN
07-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I think our front 4 will be our downfall. Allen will bring it from one side but what of the other? That's not a knock on Hali but he's a rookie. I tend to view contributions from rookies as gravy not as anything that should be expected.

In the middle we have a hodgepodge of guys that haven't shown consistent play elsewhere or here. Sims is the best of the batch which tells you a lot about the batch.

Inspector
07-05-2006, 10:16 AM
I have decided to wait until next January to make my prediction.

I think I'll have a better feel for how the defense is by then.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm just hoping for a stricter, more disipline team. Just eliminating the big plays and making tackles is half of the problem. We do that and we will win MANY more games.

noa
07-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm just hoping for a stricter, more disipline team. Just eliminating the big plays and making tackles is half of the problem. We do that and we will win MANY more games.

Couldn't agree more. Our defensive statistics were hurt badly last year by the Cowboys and Giants games (the flea flicker and Tiki Barber come to mind), when it mattered most. Reduce the big plays and stop Jake Plummer's freakin roll-out, and we'll be much better off.

Mr. Laz
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM

why is it an upswing for Sims to be playing?

strength lies in safety play?

link? :shrug:

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 10:49 AM

They already made great strides in that arena. They cut the number of big plays roughly in half.

They've still got a ways to go, but considering that between 2002 and 2004, they gave up more plays over 50 yards than all but 2 or 3 defenses IN HISTORY...

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 10:51 AM
why is it an upswing for Sims to be playing?
strength lies in safety play?
link? :shrug:

sims coming back really needs an explaining?

And why would you need a link? and w/pollard,knight and wesely the LB and safety are our best groups on the field. w/ DL and CB following.

seems pretty basic to me.

LB,S,DL,CB.

Coogs
07-05-2006, 10:58 AM
I may be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere one time that a Gun led defense has never shown improvement for two consecutive years. Since last season was an improvement year... up to 25th... I picking something less than 25th. 28th sounds about right.

Mr. Laz
07-05-2006, 10:59 AM
sims coming back really needs an explaining?

And why would you need a link? and w/pollard,knight and wesely the LB and safety are our best groups on the field. w/ DL and CB following.

seems pretty basic to me.

LB,S,DL,CB.
i guess you just have a much higher opinion of Sims and Wesley than i do.

as for pollard ....... we don't even know if he can lace up his shoes correctly yet.

only basic if you assume success

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 11:02 AM
i guess you just have a much higher opinion of Sims and Wesley than i do.

as for pollard ....... we don't even know if he can lace up his shoes correctly yet.

only basic if you assume success

its not that i have a higher opinion.

Its that i look at the talent & playing exp. at each station and this is the conclusion ive come up with.

Mr. Laz
07-05-2006, 11:07 AM
its not that i have a higher opinion.

Its that i look at the talent & playing exp. at each station and this is the conclusion ive come up with.
fair enough ... to each his own

i just wondered why

i tend to look at the history of the player and the trend of their playing.

1. have they ever shown the ability for success
2. are they getting better or worse
3. are they is a situation that will help or hinder that ability

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 11:07 AM
I may be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere one time that a Gun led defense has never shown improvement for two consecutive years. Since last season was an improvement year... up to 25th... I picking something less than 25th. 28th sounds about right.

While it's true he's never improved in 2 consecutive years, it's also true he's never changed head coaches midstream either.

Coogs
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
While it's true he's never improved in 2 consecutive years, it's also true he's never changed head coaches midstream either.

Somebody new to throw under the bus on his way out the door. :D

htismaqe

i just wondered why

1. Sims has shown that ability, albeit quite briefly
2. Sims is obviously getting better, although being better than what he was isn't necessarily GOOD
3. I think every defensive player is in a situation that will help them, because they have a head coach who cares about the defense more than they care about the offense putting up gawdy stats

MOhillbilly

i just wondered why

so in your opinion what are our strengths and how would you rate them?

milkman
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM

DDS Hermie.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 11:13 AM

I think you might be considering them a strength relative to the rest of the Chiefs defense, whereas he's thinking in terms of the entire league.

Our safeties are definitely a bigger strength than our CB's, but by the same taken, our safeties aren't a strength when you compare them with 15 or so other teams in the league...

Mr. Laz
07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
honestly don't think we have any idea at this point how these guys are going to react under Herm Edwards and the new positional coaches.

:shrug:

they could go either way

sims hasn't shown much of anything so far imo ...... but like i said under a new defensive line coach he might.

i don't like Wesley much at all ... he plays "stupid"

can Edwards and co do a better job of telling him what to do??

i like Sammy knight, he plays smart and savvy. But his lack of speed is a problem.

will a real cover 2 situation help cover up that lack of speed?

i'm happy with 2 out of 3 linebackers ..... what we are going to do at that 3rd LB position is a big question.

I don't think Bell is suited for a cover 2 at all

i like jared allen and Tamba hali

if Hali kicks Hicks out of the starting lineup it will be a great thing for us.

defensive tackles = Bleh

earlier in the thread i guessed 15-20 .... really hard to tell without seeing the impact that the new coaching will have though.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 11:28 AM
imo theres more talent on the D side of the ball than there has been since the 90s.

maybe even more.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 11:32 AM
imo theres more talent on the D side of the ball than there has been since the 90s.

maybe even more.

I think you could be right. Unfortunately, though, it's the "Show Me" state...fans need to see some results, potential just isn't gonna cut it.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
I think you could be right. Unfortunately, though, it's the "Show Me" state...fans need to see some results, potential just isn't gonna cut it.

oh brother i am no diffrent.

it doesnt help having lived through 30 years of 'potential'. but i dont think joe blow fan sees it clear enough after said '30 years of 'potential'.

just one of them deals. the 90s teams werent near as talented as the KC fandom thought and only in retrospect do they realise.

just sayin.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 11:47 AM
oh brother i am no diffrent.

it doesnt help having lived through 30 years of 'potential'. but i dont think joe blow fan sees it clear enough after said '30 years of 'potential'.

just one of them deals. the 90s teams werent near as talented as the KC fandom thought and only in retrospect do they realise.

just sayin.

Those 90's defenses weren't nearly as talented top-to-bottom. Those rosters were full of Tracy Simien's and Joe Phillips'. But at the top they had DT. This defense has nobody even close to that.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Those 90's defenses weren't nearly as talented top-to-bottom. Those rosters were full of Tracy Simien's and Joe Phillips'. But at the top they had DT. This defense has nobody even close to that.

That tells us one thing:

Someone has to step up for us to be a great defensive team.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 11:56 AM
That tells us one thing:

Someone has to step up for us to be a great defensive team.

Tells us two things actually.

One is precisely what you said.

The other is that attitude and determination can make or break a defense. Good defensive coaches CAN make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Calcountry
07-05-2006, 12:02 PM

Herm alone gets them to "eleven".Eureka! Brilliant!

ROFL

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
32 [ 1 ] 1.19% KCChiefsMan

ROFL

hypersensitiveZO6
07-05-2006, 12:11 PM

The other is that attitude and determination can make or break a defense. Good defensive coaches CAN make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Its not just the player's attitudes. It's the attitude of the coaches, trainers ---the entire organization. That was a thing with Dick Vermiel. He didn't have that defensive attitude.

Let's hope Herm can be that coach. I think he has the right attitude and IMO that's enough to make our defense better.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Its not just the player's attitudes. It's the attitude of the coaches, trainers ---the entire organization. That was a thing with Dick Vermiel. He didn't have that defensive attitude.

Let's hope Herm can be that coach. I think he has the right attitude and IMO that's enough to make our defense better.

That attitude has to be tempered with restraint and intelligence. Gunther's cussing and screaming doesn't work.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-05-2006, 12:19 PM
That attitude has to be tempered with restraint and intelligence. Gunther's cussing and screaming doesn't work.

I think it works if you take it the right way. If you just use Gun's temper as motivation, it can work. You CANNOT be like fatass Ryan Sims and just let it all go over your head. You can't just think you're one of the guys getting yelled at.

Gun is a MOTIVATOR.

Anyway, Defense is an attitude. You define your team's defense by their attitude. Right now, the attitude of our team is confused and unknown. We need a defense that has an attitude to play together, play nasty, play aggresive, play smart, and play under disipline.

Our defense isn't any of those things, ...yet.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 12:33 PM
I think it works if you take it the right way. If you just use Gun's temper as motivation, it can work. You CANNOT be like fatass Ryan Sims and just let it all go over your head. You can't just think you're one of the guys getting yelled at.

Gun is a MOTIVATOR.

Anyway, Defense is an attitude. You define your team's defense by their attitude. Right now, the attitude of our team is confused and unknown. We need a defense that has an attitude to play together, play nasty, play aggresive, play smart, and play under disipline.

I don't think Gun is a motivator. I think he's talking out of his ass most of the time.

When a guy like that chews on you incessantly, particularly when every other word is the F-bomb, and then gets on his coaches press conference and says "I" this and "I" that, you tend to stop caring what he says real quick.

It wouldn't at all surprise me to find that the defensive players have tuned Gun out because they got sick of waiting for him to say something useful.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 12:57 PM

Attitude and Effort

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 01:01 PM

Gun is a MOTIVATOR.

imo Gun should have left w/ DV. youd have to be a damn fool to buy into his motivation at this point.
says one thing does another, gets the players he wants then produces the same.

it all starts at the top kids.
nomater whereever whenever.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-05-2006, 01:59 PM
imo Gun should have left w/ DV. youd have to be a damn fool to buy into his motivation at this point.
says one thing does another, gets the players he wants then produces the same.

it all starts at the top kids.
nomater whereever whenever.

I agree, but he does motivate. Too bad it's only about one player (if that) every offseason. Sound like a position coach a position coach to you? He's got one last chance as far as I'm concerned.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I agree, but he does motivate. Too bad it's only about one player (if that) every offseason. Sound like a position coach a position coach to you? He's got one last chance as far as I'm concerned.

I threw a fit when he came from TN where NOONE in the NFL had even given thought to coach cunningham as a DC or HC.
seemed like a weak move imo.

i do however like this krumrie guy so far from what ive read.

still not sure about the new dynamics in the coaching positions on D and how they will relate to Coach Cunningham and Coach Edwards.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 02:15 PM

w/out the 'flinch' DT lost a step and it showed.

jspchief
07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
28 yards per game is the difference between our 25th ranking and a #10 ranking in 2005. Less than .5 yard per play. 308 yards total for the season. If we make a tackle against Mike Anderson in week 3, Ronnie Brown in week 6, Tiki Barber in week 14, and break up a pass to Terry Glenn in week 13, we're already 2/3 of the way there. And we're not talking about needing spectacular plays to be made. We were 4 routine plays away from being a top 15 defense in 2005.

I think this team was solid but inconsistent last year. At worst we're the same team, with hopefiully a little more chemistry. At best, we've upgraded several positions.

I don't think a #10 ranking is unreasonable.

Coogs
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't think Gun is a motivator. I think he's talking out of his ass most of the time.

When a guy like that chews on you incessantly, particularly when every other word is the F-bomb, and then gets on his coaches press conference and says "I" this and "I" that, you tend to stop caring what he says real quick.

It wouldn't at all surprise me to find that the defensive players have tuned Gun out because they got sick of waiting for him to say something useful.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

FAX
07-05-2006, 02:41 PM
28 yards per game is the difference between our 25th ranking and a #10 ranking in 2005. Less than .5 yard per play. 308 yards total for the season. If we make a tackle against Mike Anderson in week 3, Ronnie Brown in week 6, Tiki Barber in week 14, and break up a pass to Terry Glenn in week 13, we're already 2/3 of the way there. And we're not talking about needing spectacular plays to be made. We were 4 routine plays away from being a top 15 defense in 2005.

I think this team was solid but inconsistent last year. At worst we're the same team, with hopefiully a little more chemistry. At best, we've upgraded several positions.

I don't think a #10 ranking is unreasonable.

Great Hairy Balls Of Sticky Deodorant!

I hope you're right, Mr. jspchief. With a 10th ranked defense and assuming our offense doesn't backslide for some reason, this would be a very, very dangerous team.

FAX

jspchief
07-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Great Hairy Balls Of Sticky Deodorant!

I hope you're right, Mr. jspchief. With a 10th ranked defense and assuming our offense doesn't backslide for some reason, this would be a very, very dangerous team.

FAXI don't think #10 is too lofty of a goal. We played like a #10 defense for a lot of last year. All we have to do is avoid those games where we played well below our potential.

What I expect to happen if our offensive ranking to drop, but the result will be the help that we give our defense to make it better. More ball control, clock-eating plays.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't think #10 is too lofty of a goal. We played like a #10 defense for a lot of last year. All we have to do is avoid those games where we played well below our potential.

What I expect to happen if our offensive ranking to drop, but the result will be the help that we give our defense to make it better. More ball control, clock-eating plays.

#10 is definitely an attainable goal, and this team should be shooting for higher than that.

Like you said earlier, .5 yards per play and this team shoots up 15 spots. I'll tell you this:

If we shave a half-yard off our RUSHING per carry stat, we'll be a super bowl team.