PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Gasoline: How Has It Affected You?

Donger
07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Have you changed your driving habits?
Not made road trips due to the higher price?
Made MPG a larger factor in a new car purchase?
Hasn't affected you much at all?

Just curious.

Calcountry
07-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I am driving way less, and I put off a vacation to Disneyland. Does that count?

DaKCMan AP
07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Bit the bullet for the most part. Maybe tried to consolidate trips to the store so that I don't make multiple trips in different directions.

StcChief
07-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Plan better, get stuff before/after work.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I went and traded in my Jeep Liberty for a Toyota Corolla solely because of the price of gas.

BTW, did anybody else notice ethanol prices over the holiday? I bought 87 octane gas this morning because the 10% ethanol blend went from 7 cents per gallon cheaper to 7 cents per gallon more expensive...

Saulbadguy
07-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I drive in reverse at all times. Takes miles off the car, and saves on gas.

Calcountry
07-05-2006, 01:12 PM
I drive in reverse at all times. Takes miles off the car, and saves on gas.Jabba no barter.

Cochise
07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
I would say it hasn't affected me much since I live close to work. But fuel economy will definitely be important in my next car purchase.

ct
07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Carpool, better planning (combining errand runs), skipped 2 weekend getaways, planning a next purchase with better MPG.

Oh, and heeding the advice of all the genious in the DC climate thread, obviously I know nothing and must adhere to thier every word.

ChiTown
07-05-2006, 01:19 PM
I ship a lot of material by rail car. It's greatly affected my buiness with the Fuel Surcharges that the RR's place on each car load of material. Right now, I pay a 16.5% Fuel Surcharge on each car I ship. So, if a rail car costs me $3000/car to ship, I pay an extra ~$500 for each car. I can pass that along to my clients, but it has made some of my competition more competitive due to the proximity of their location's vs. mine.

Personally, we carpool more, use my car more vs. my wifes (Camry vs Sequoia), take fewer weekend trips away from Wichita.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm just in the mindset that it's all going to be gone if we don't do something. My mindset is the next time I'm purchasing a vehicle, I will consider the mileage greatly. I really can do anything right now or change any of my driving habits, but I am in the mindset.

ChiefsOne
07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Just bitch each time I buy gas.

recxjake
07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
It's made me want to purchase a brand new Hummer

DaKCMan AP
07-05-2006, 01:28 PM
It's made me want to purchase a brand new Hummer

hmm..is GM going to start making hummers?

JimNasium
07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
I wish I could say that it had an effect on my lifestyle but it hasn't so far. It might impact my next car buying decision but for now I'm keeping the Wrangler and gritting my teeth every time I fill it up.

crispystl420
07-05-2006, 01:40 PM
It's killing us. Most of our friends and family live 40 mile pus away from us not to mention were driving a blazer. sucks!

laser1972
07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
bought a motorcycle and love getting the 60-70 mpg.. Then again, i have a SUV and a Corvette, so it all balances out....

crispystl420
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
oh yeah and were flying to Chicago this week intead of driving.

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
I haven't really changed my life much. It may have changed the amount of $$$ I'm investing, but my investments are making more, so it all averages out.

I will probably move gas mileage up my list of things to look for in a car next time, but that will be a while.

jlscorpio
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
I traded in my Nissan Xterra for a Saab 9-5.

recxjake
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I traded in my Nissan Xterra for a Saab 9-5.

you like the 9-5? what year is it?...

Chief Henry
07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
I have not changed my driving habits at all.
We still boat and travel when ever WE WANT.

Screw the gas prices.

ZepSinger
Instead of Mrs. Zep driving into KC (30 miles roundtrip) for things like groceries, errands, etc., I do them on my way home from work. Saves her trips, time, and gas. Also- whenever possible, I ride the bike to the local Dollar General to pick up small items.

We do things at home as much as possible, and long-drive vacations have been put aside for now...

Z

HemiEd
It has raised my blood pressure and made me more irritable. I sold my Boat but that was only a small contibuting factor. I was an idiot for giving the new owner a full 55 gallon tank.

Donger
07-05-2006, 02:31 PM
This (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/ap_on_bi_ge/oil_prices;_ylt=Avaa_L4h1D_0EpB4RQdLDXKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--)is going to hurt by the end of the week.

shakesthecat
07-05-2006, 02:32 PM
It hasn't affected me one bit.

Like a few others have mentioned, I may look for another car that gets better mpg someday, but it's hardly a priority.

HemiEd
07-05-2006, 02:37 PM
This (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/ap_on_bi_ge/oil_prices;_ylt=Avaa_L4h1D_0EpB4RQdLDXKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--)is going to hurt by the end of the week.

It can only go above $3 a gallon once, I paid $3.27 yesterday for mid-grade.

Donger
07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
It can only go above $3 a gallon once, I paid $3.27 yesterday for mid-grade.

They're talking about the national retail average, which is still below $3.00.

HemiEd
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
They're talking about the national retail average, which is still below $3.00.

If you are trying to make me feel better it "ain't workin'."

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Here's another question: How do you HOPE it will affect your life?

I can see several positive benefits from this. First, people will start giving up those gigantic POS SUVs that I can't see over, under, or around while I'm driving. Maybe Sally Nitwit will finally purchase a vehicle she that she can actually drive and has some clue about the proportions of.

Second, there might be fewer people on the roads. Nothing I hate worse than a road full of Sunday drivers.

Now, if we can just come up with a way to legalize running over bicyclists...

HemiEd
07-05-2006, 02:43 PM
First, people will start giving up those gigantic POS SUVs that I can't see over, under, or around while I'm driving. Maybe Sally Nitwit will finally purchase a vehicle she that she can actually drive and has some clue about the proportions of.

I hate it when one of those POS little foreign cars gets in my blind spot and I smash it into the pavement. They usually leave a stain.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
like every working class stiff it cut out on me buying an ice tea at the gas station. Cut back on my windshield time to visit friends.

when i got my truck even when gas was gettin high it was about 24-25 to fill now its around 40.

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
I hate it when one of those POS little foreign cars gets in my blind spot and I smash it into the pavement. They usually leave a stain.
If you can drive it and you can afford it, more power to you. I don't have issues with SUVs in general. I guess my problem is with people who couldn't get a commercial drivers license driving CDL sized vehicles.

FWIW, I drive a 300M. Not a small car or a foreign car. Well, no more foreign than any other car.

Cochise
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Now, if we can just come up with a way to legalize running over bicyclists...

I wish there were laws that said the lance armstrong wannabes have to be on a sidewalk if there is one available.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
its cut back on my wagerin money aswell.

HemiEd
07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
If you can drive it and you can afford it, more power to you. I have issues with SUVs in general. I guess my problem is with people who couldn't get a commercial drivers license driving CDL sized vehicles.

FWIW, I drive a 300M. Not a small car or a foreign car. Well, no more foreign than any other car.

I have a 300M as well, and a mid-sized SUV the Durango. What I really hate is these little cars cutting in and out making lane changes like I and everyone else is to stay in their lane. I barely avoided a bad one at lunch today, it was real close. I think this kid thought he was playing a video game, really.

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
I wish there were laws that said the lance armstrong wannabes have to be on a sidewalk if there is one available.
I watched two of those a**holes pass cars in the left hand turn lane and then turn left on red. Seems they've determined their heart rate is more important than the laws of the road.

My other favorite are the ones that can't keep their bike within a foot of the shoulder, swerving in and out of the lane. That way when I pass them I never know if they're going to jump out in front of me or not.

I'm even more excited when I think about the amount of tax dollars we've spent building bike-only lanes on roads and bike trails at the request of these idiots that they then choose to not use.

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I have a 300M as well, and a mid-sized SUV the Durango. What I really hate is these little cars cutting in and out making lane changes like I and everyone else is to stay in their lane. I barely avoided a bad one at lunch today, it was real close. I think this kid thought he was playing a video game, really.
If it's going to be a video game can it be Grand Theft Auto so I can whip out a bazooka and blow his ass up?

Donger
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
As a long-time, rather serious cyclist, it pisses me off to no end when I see other cyclists break the traffic laws. It's also a really bad idea in the first place, for anyone who has even a rudimentary understanding of physics.

HemiEd
07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
If it's going to be a video game can it be Grand Theft Auto so I can whip out a bazooka and blow his ass up?

I like it.

4th and Long
07-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I went and traded in my Jeep Liberty for a Toyota Corolla solely because of the price of gas.

BTW, did anybody else notice ethanol prices over the holiday? I bought 87 octane gas this morning because the 10% ethanol blend went from 7 cents per gallon cheaper to 7 cents per gallon more expensive...
Welcome to the summer time blend.

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the summer time blend.
Thank you environmenalists.

NJ Chief Fan
07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
i make sure i go to the cheapest gas station around, and i dont go out as much

Iowanian
07-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Its affected my family....
We're 150-200 miles from both sides of the families and its cut down on trips where they get to spend time with new additions. My fillups that used to cost $30, now cost $50.

I'm more careful about paying attention to tire air pressure and am thinking about getting a snap on bed cover for my truck, and we take the car if possible.

I've bought into biodiesel.

we run the New, energy efficient CA about 3-4 degrees higher than last year.

I'd say its had an effect.

shakesthecat
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
As a long-time, rather serious cyclist, it pisses me off to no end when I see other cyclists break the traffic laws. It's also a really bad idea in the first place, for anyone who has even a rudimentary understanding of physics.

Good for you. Seriously.
The next time I see a cyclist obey the rules of the road, will be the first time.

OBTW, I just filled up at Costco.....the pump shut off @ $99.00

FAX
07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
An excellent question, Mr. Donger. The price of gas has affected me in the following ways ...

1. I am 43% more offended by the oil companies.
2. I am 32% more offended by the government.
3. I am 01% more likely to walk.
4. I am 88% more likely to steal gas.

FAX

Cochise
07-05-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm more careful about paying attention to tire air pressure and am thinking about getting a snap on bed cover for my truck

I saw something on TV not long ago that said the difference these two make, especially the tonneau cover, was negligable.

Sort of like how some people refuse to run the AC, nevermind that your car saps more power in drag from the windows being down than it saves from having the AC turned off.

Maybe someone more motivated than I could google around and see if these have been tested. It seems like all these topics are pretty convoluted and might be urban legend-ish.

Donger
07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
I saw something on TV not long ago that said the difference these two make, especially the tonneau cover, was negligable.

Sort of like how some people refuse to run the AC, nevermind that your car saps more power in drag from the windows being down than it saves from having the AC turned off.

Maybe someone more motivated than I could google around and see if these have been tested. It seems like all these topics are pretty convoluted and might be urban legend-ish.

Depends on the speed. Below 45, the A/C is worse. At highway speeds, drag is worse than A/C.

I'll have to look up the tonneau cover thing. That tailgate thing, too.

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Now that summer break's here I spend all day nursing a refillable iced-tea at a within walking distance restaurant...and just bring a lap-top!
Cuts down on the central AC, electricity as well as gas. :p

Donger
07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
If you drive a pickup truck, keep the tailgate closed and don't replace the tailgate with netted fencing. According to Kaufman, a lowered tailgate or a tailgate that's replaced with netting result in the same problem: Extra air turbulence at the back of the vehicle that causes drag and reduces fuel economy.

On the other hand, a tonneau cover over the pickup bed in the back of a truck can help fuel economy by lessening the drag from air being buffeted into and around that open bed, he said.

Dayze
07-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I sold my beloved Jeep Wrangler; and it's 12MPG......

Oh well. More $ in my pocket...
Drive less; ride the motorcycle as much as possible.

chiefs4me
07-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I have not changed my driving habits at all.
We still boat and travel when ever WE WANT.

Screw the gas prices.

same here...:D

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Depends on the speed. Below 45, the A/C is worse. At highway speeds, drag is worse than A/C.

I'll have to look up the tonneau cover thing. That tailgate thing, too.
The Myth Busters took on the tailgate down thing and proved you're better off with the tailgate up. Something about the air flowing over the cab making a high-pressure area in the bed so that basically the wind wasn't hitting the tailgate. When you put the tailgate down that high pressure area goes away and the wind slams down onto the bed of the truck causing down force.

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
The price of gas hasn't changed my behavior at all, other than causing more complaining when I fill up. I don't drive a whole lot.

The far bigger issue to me is the price of natural gas. My household utility bill has doubled in the past couple of years, and the increase has been very painful. We try to keep the heat turned down in the winter, and use space heaters to heat only the rooms we're in.

Iowanian
07-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Hasn't changed your behavior?

PShaaaw...with lower gas prices, you'd have some BOULDERS in your back yard, instead of those pebbles you'll be mowing around tonight, bRainman.

Baconeater
07-05-2006, 04:15 PM
I've been driving the smaller of the two vans I own, we're not taking a vacation this summer and keeping roadies to a minimum. I also quit mowing my lawn.

And apparently I'm not the only one conserving gas here in Nebraska. We're conserving so much here that the state is going to raise the gas tax to make up for the lost revenue. You can't ****ing win.

Jilly
07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
I traded in my Jeep Cherokee for a saturn ion. I'm thinking about buying a scooter

Bearcat
07-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Just bitch each time I buy gas.

Yeah, the only thing that's changed is listening to others bitch about it ;)

I bitched for a week or two after buying my 22mpg car, because the sticker said it kicks down to 4 cylinders on the highway and gets 28mpg... and GM was only half right. Bastards.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2006, 04:25 PM
All statistics I've seen show Americans are consuming the same amount of oil as they always have, in spite of the rising prices. I personally go through half the amount of gas that I used too. I go nowhere. Unless I have too. Work, the grocery store, etc. We have cut down our day trips and the like by more than half. It's a combination of cost effectiveness and principal.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
It gets very hot and humid out here in Charlotte. 100x more than in Seattle. That being said, my A/C is on full blast all the time. I track the amount of miles I get per tank of gas everytime I fill up. This summer I'm getting 80 less miles per tank with the A/C running, and when I don't have it on the windows are all the way down. I don't buy that argument at all. I have first hand experience with it. A/C costs gas.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I've been driving the smaller of the two vans I own, we're not taking a vacation this summer and keeping roadies to a minimum. I also quit mowing my lawn.

And apparently I'm not the only one conserving gas here in Nebraska. We're conserving so much here that the state is going to raise the gas tax to make up for the lost revenue. You can't ****ing win.

Dude, roadies don't need gas. Just pay them in weed.

Donger
07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
It gets very hot and humid out here in Charlotte. 100x more than in Seattle. That being said, my A/C is on full blast all the time. I track the amount of miles I get per tank of gas everytime I fill up. This summer I'm getting 80 less miles per tank with the A/C running, and when I don't have it on the windows are all the way down. I don't buy that argument at all. I have first hand experience with it. A/C costs gas.

You don't buy what?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
You don't buy what?

gas so much anymore :)

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
You don't buy what?

seriously though, I don't think the windows being down has nearly as much effect on your gas as running the A/C does.

Donger
07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
seriously though, I don't think the windows being down has nearly as much effect on your gas as running the A/C does.

At slow speeds, no it doesn't. At highway speeds, running with your windows down produces significant drag. It's the aerodynamic equivalent of throwing out an anchor.

Coach
07-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Somewhat. It did affect me when I was looking for a newer vehicle last year, since I knew that the cost of gas will never go below 2.00 again.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2006, 04:38 PM
At slow speeds, no it doesn't. At highway speeds, running with your windows down produces significant drag. It's the aerodynamic equivalent of throwing out an anchor.

That may be valid. I get better gas mileage on the highway obviously so maybe with the windows full down it's a wash and I don't notice it.

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 04:43 PM

ROFL

Only the f-ing govt.

chiefsfaninNC
07-05-2006, 04:45 PM

Damn Yankee's! It is neither hot nor humid here.

Jenson71
07-05-2006, 04:45 PM
It hasn't changed me. I am a child of Bin Laden and reality shows, and gas has always been over $2 with me driving.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Unf*ckingbelievable.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Damn Yankee's! It is neither hot nor humid here.

ROFL You are a crazy man.

Donger
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM

ROFL

LINCOLN (AP) -- Drivers in Nebraska will soon see another 1 cent fuel-tax increase, a reminder that conserving gas doesn't always pay off.

Starting July 1, the state government is raising the fuel tax by 1 cent a gallon, increasing Nebraska's gas tax to 27.1 cents a gallon.

That's the seventh highest gas tax in the nation.

As of Friday morning, though, Nebraska's overall price a gallon -- $2.77 for regular unleaded -- was still below the national average of $2.84 a gallon for regular unleaded.

The tax increase, officials say, is caused partially by people using less gas.

"Most of these fuel-efficient vehicles are not as expensive as vehicles people were buying before," Marilyn Hayes, budget and finance manager for the state Department of Roads, said.

And as drivers conserve gas -- by scaling down vacations, getting rid of gas-guzzling cars -- the state's revenue from fuel use diminishes.

"The governor has reached a frustration point with the level of the gas tax," Aaron Sanderford, spokesman for Gov. Dave Heineman, said.

But Heineman isn't considering changing it.

"Part of the gas tax is paid by people from other states traveling our state," Heineman said Thursday. "To that extent, that's significant in how we do this and it's not totally on the backs of all Nebraska motorists."

Nebraska's state tax portion of gas prices has three parts: A fixed tax of 10.5 shared by the state, cities and counties; a fixed tax of 2 cents shared by cities and counties; and a variable tax -- the one that jumps 1 cent next month -- currently at 13.6 cents a gallon.

The variable tax, which all goes to the state, is adjusted to maintain the level of funding approved by the Legislature and the governor for road construction and maintenance.

For the fiscal year that begins in July, the Roads Department was appropriated $350 million in state money for construction and maintenance.

The funds were approved 1.5 years ago, before fuel prices began to jump, Hayes said.

There are two opportunities to see a steady tax rate, officials said: Change in purchasing patterns, or trimming back the budget for road projects.

"There will be more scrutiny of projects," Sanderford said.

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
I just make rude comments to the Cashier at the convenience store, and act like it is their fault.

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Oh, and one other thing. I try to start all my trips from the top of the Continental Divide. That really helps my mileage.

onescrewleftuntwisted
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
instead of driving to the bar i walk and then crawl home

ChiefFan31
07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
I have not read this thread, but to answer the posters question.

It has affected me in that, I bitch and complain more but still drive the same as before.

HemiEd
07-05-2006, 09:28 PM
The price of gas hasn't changed my behavior at all, other than causing more complaining when I fill up. I don't drive a whole lot.

The far bigger issue to me is the price of natural gas. My household utility bill has doubled in the past couple of years, and the increase has been very painful. We try to keep the heat turned down in the winter, and use space heaters to heat only the rooms we're in.

I have been thinking about buying some very large Boulders, dense ones, Granite maybe. I was thinking of building a fire pit to heat these Boulders, with a special ramp to roll them in the house once they get nice and hot. It would have an eject feature to send the boulders back to the fires once they cooled off.