PDA

View Full Version : US stars align in anti-Iraq war hunger strike

Donger
07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/03/060703223431.le4pgg36.html

Star Hollywood actor-activists including Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon and anti-war campaigners led by bereaved mother Cindy Sheehan plan to launch a hunger strike, demanding the immediate return of US troops from Iraq.

As Americans get set to fire up barbeques in patriotic celebration of US Independence Day on July 4, anti-war protestors planned to savour a last meal outside the White House, before embarking on a 'Troops Home Fast' at midnight.

"We've marched, held vigils, lobbied Congress, camped out at Bush's ranch, we've even gone to jail, now it's time to do more," said Sheehan, who emerged as an anti-war icon after losing her 24-year-old son Casey in Iraq.

The hunger strike was the latest bid by the US anti-war movement to grab hold of American public opinion, after numerous marches, vigils and political campaigns.

Despite polls which show the Iraq war is unpopular and many Americans are skeptical of President George W. Bush's wartime leadership, peace protests have not hit the opinion-swaying critical mass seen during Vietnam War.

"We have been continually sheltered from the actual cost of war from the beginning," said Meredith Dearborn, of human rights group Global Exchange, explaining how anti-Iraq war protests have stuttered.

While 2,526 US soldiers have died since the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, according to an AFP tally based on Pentagon figures, the impact of the deaths has rarely dominated headlines.

While it is not unusual to see an Iraq-war veteran or amputee in an airport for instance, or newspaper features on horrific injuries inflicted by roadside bombs in Iraq, the United States hardly feels like a nation at war.

Some protestors and experts in public opinion put that down to the absence of the Vietnam War style conscription draft, which means only professional soldiers or reservists can be sent off to war.

"We have done everything we could think of to end this war, we have protested, held marches, vigils ... lobbied, written letters to Congress," said Dearborn.

"Now it is time to bring the pain and suffering of war home. We are putting our bodies on the line for peace."

Perhaps the only time the anti-Iraq war movement captured lasting coverage was in August 2005, when Sheehan and supporters pitched camp outside Bush's Texas ranch, where the president habitually stays in high summer.

Even then, the fiercely partisan debate unleashed may have harmed Sheehan, who faced fierce fire from conservative groups and radio talk show hosts, as much as it hurt the Bush administration's image over Iraq.

The hunger strike will see at least four activists, Sheehan, veteran comedian and peace campaigner Dick Gregory, former army colonel Ann Wright and environmental campaigner Diane Wilson launch serious, long-term fasts.

"I don't know how long I can fast, but I am making this open-ended," said Wilson.

Other supporters, including Penn, Sarandon, novelist Alice Walker and actor Danny Glover will join a 'rolling" fast, a relay in which 2,700 activists pledge to refuse food for at least 24 hours, and then hand over to a comrade.

Though the anti-war movement is trying hard to puncture public perceptions, some experts believe such protests have little impact on how Americans view foreign wars.

Ohio State University professor John Mueller for example, argued in the Foreign Affairs journal in December, that only rising US casualties could be proven to erode public support for a conflict.

Anti-war movements during the Korean and Iraq wars have been comparitively invisible, but public support had eroded in a similar way to the Vietnam conflict, in which the peace movement played a dominant role, he wrote.

Recent polls reveal public scepticism over Iraq, and damage to Bush's personal ratings.

In a poll in Time magazine published Friday, only 33 percent of respondents approved of Bush's leadership on Iraq while 64 percent said they disapproved his handling of the campaign.

A Pew Research Center poll released on June 20, found that only 35 percent of Americans approved of Bush's handling of the Iraqi conflict -- though that was up five percent from a similar poll in February.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Why do these people continue to bring attention to themselves. All they do is galvanize anti-Hollywood sentiment...

FringeNC
07-05-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't understand. Do they actually think Iraqis and U.S. interests would be better off living under Al-qaeda rule?

Whether they were for or against the Iraqi war is irrelevant at this point. The question is what is the best policy given today's circumstances. Are they suggesting we just pull out?

HC_Chief
07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
ROFL

Adept Havelock
07-05-2006, 03:44 PM
A "rolling" hunger strike? :rolleyes:

Gandhi just hit about 4000 rpm.

Pitt Gorilla
07-05-2006, 03:53 PM
This is such a non-event that I don't see how it warranted a thread.

Mr. Laz
07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Whether they were for or against the Iraqi war is irrelevant at this point.
i love how the right says this crap all the time now.

the ol' don't ask permission just apologize afterward routine.

"don't worry about the right or wrong ......... just deal with it"

since when have they EVER freaking done that ..... since when have they every let ANYTHING just go.

Or how about just live and let live?

....this is the party that impeached a president for a blow job. :rolleyes:

Cochise
More for us. Pass the taters'

listopencil
"Other supporters, including Penn, Sarandon, novelist Alice Walker and actor Danny Glover will join a 'rolling" fast, a relay in which 2,700 activists pledge to refuse food for at least 24 hours, and then hand over to a comrade."

Christ Almighty, that is incredibly retarded. I wonder if any Bulimics or Anorexics will join.

"I don't know how long I can fast, but I am making this open-ended," said Wilson.

You can fast until you die, dumbass. That's the point of using a "hunger strike" as a protest. A protest is not going wihout food until you stop by the McDonald's drive-in on Rodeo Drive because they brought back the McRib Sandwich. What a bunch of fuqtards.

Donger
07-05-2006, 04:27 PM
This is such a non-event that I don't see how it warranted a thread.

I posted it because, overall, I found it amusing. In particular, the fact that these people are so deluded and so full of self-importance that they think that their 'fast' will have an impact on national policy.

Or, they're just media whores.

Either way, I think it's amusing.

redbrian
07-05-2006, 06:24 PM
ROFL

Other supporters, including Penn, Sarandon, novelist Alice Walker and actor Danny Glover will join a 'rolling" fast, a relay in which 2,700 activists pledge to refuse food for at least 24 hours, and then hand over to a comrade.

Now there is real support, a 24 hour fast (what a bunch of fuggen whimps, if your going to make a difference you need to go all the way and fast till you die, put your life were your mouth is).

mlyonsd
07-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I've got to lose about 10 pounds so where do I sign up?

My only restriction is I can't miss pizza night.

Eskimo Joe
07-05-2006, 07:25 PM
....this is the party that impeached a president for a blow job. :rolleyes:

As I recall history, Clinton was impeached for lying under oath. :harumph:

Eskimo Joe
07-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Saddam missed dinner on his hunger strike and then started eating again.

A rolling fast is the biggest joke of the day, these guys have no conviction for their beliefs, unless it can get them on the tube again.

Cochise
07-05-2006, 07:40 PM

You can fast until you die, dumbass. That's the point of using a "hunger strike" as a protest. A protest is not going wihout food until you stop by the McDonald's drive-in on Rodeo Drive because they brought back the McRib Sandwich. What a bunch of fuqtards.

No kidding. The effing point of a hunger strike is that you will die unless your opponent chooses to acquiesce.

So in light of that I encourage all of these has-beens and never-weres to go on a hunger strike until the other side relents. Don't back down. Don't quit after 24 hours. If you really want your point, hold out for a month, two months, three months - however long it takes until they see it your way. Please- Susan, Sean, and whoever else. Your country needs you. :p

recxjake
07-05-2006, 07:44 PM
another reason why Democrats have lost the last 4 elections... they are tied in with these nut jobs

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Saddam missed dinner on his hunger strike and then started eating again.

A rolling fast is the biggest joke of the day, these guys have no conviction for their beliefs, unless it can get them on the tube again.
I call BS. They have a great conviction to stay in the public light. They are very committed to keep getting paid millions of dollars for a few weeks work.

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 08:59 PM
I call BS. They have a great conviction to stay in the public light. They are very committed to keep getting paid millions of dollars for a few weeks work.
Ye'r just jealous! :p

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Ye'r just jealous! :p
I don't fault them for doing it. I DO fault the idiots who fall for it.

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 09:04 PM
I was referring to them getting millions for a few weeks work...not starving for 24 hours. :banghead:

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2006, 09:07 PM
ROFL

"No food for 24 hours, pass it on..."

chiefqueen
07-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I get dibbs on the chocolate they don't eat.

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm soo hungry... okay, your turn.

*gobbles down Big Mac*

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm soo hungry... okay, your turn.

Well you should be on that diet you're on.
(I'd say join 'em the buddy system works well.)

*gobbles down Big Mac*

Were on.... :shrug:

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I was referring to them getting millions for a few weeks work...not starving for 24 hours. :banghead:
I'll rephrase since you seem to be having a "slow night":

I don't fault them for taking millions of dollars from morons who let their lives revolve around the latest "Bennifer" craze. I DO fault the idiots who spend gigantic portions of their income to keep up with this tripe.

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 09:15 PM
It's the Florida heat and humidity that does it to me.
Thanks for d'explanation.

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Well you should be on that diet you're on.
(I'd say join 'em the buddy system works well.)It wasn't bad, really. I was pretty much never hungry.

And since I'm still following the "five small meals" philosophy now that I'm off it, I can't really say that I've been truly hungry in the couple of weeks I've been fully off, aside from maybe in the morning a couple of times. At this point, I pretty much eat because it's time to eat again rather than because I crave the food.

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 09:21 PM
It wasn't bad, really. I was pretty much never hungry.

And since I'm still following the "five small meals" philosophy now that I'm off it, I can't really say that I've been truly hungry in the couple of weeks I've been fully off, aside from maybe in the morning a couple of times. At this point, I pretty much eat because it's time to eat again rather than because I crave the food.
I see....and the Big Mac fits in as one of the five small meals or do you divide that into fifths? :p

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2006, 09:28 PM

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't get it? :shrug:

Rausch
07-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I fully support it.

The best thing pacifists can do is quit eating...

Eskimo Joe
07-06-2006, 02:28 AM

If they had that conviction they would stick to their guns about the war and their displeasure with it. Their only conviction is pretty much the money. If they stood a chance of losing their place in the Hollywood limelight they would back off in a NYM.

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't do a hunger strike. I'd do a breakfast/lunch/dinner strike or something like that. I'd only eat desserts. A different dessert everyday until I run out of desserts!!

That'll teach 'em ;)

StcChief
07-06-2006, 06:36 AM
They aren't gonna die over Iraq get real....

It will be funny when they will try and bail and save face

Iowanian
07-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Somewhere, outside Darfur, a 4 year old non-muslim with a bloated abdomen, lays on a blanket under a bush, too tired to blow a fly from his eyeball....sympathizes with Shawn Penchief's hunger pains.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Somewhere, outside Darfur, a 4 year old non-muslim with a bloated abdomen, lays on a blanket under a bush, too tired to blow a fly from his eyeball....sympathizes with Shawn Penchief's hunger pains.

OMG ROFL

BIG_DADDY
07-06-2006, 10:08 AM

NICE!!!

ck_IN
07-06-2006, 10:09 AM
As if we needed any more proof that Hollywood 'Stars' and self annointed 'Activists' were totally irrelevent and involved in trivial persuit we now have a rolling fast. :rolleyes:

Tell ya what, I'll take part in rolling interest. That means of the 300 million or so people in this country we'll devide the length of their rolling fast by 300 mill and I'll take my micro second to give a damm what these idiots do. Let me know when it's my turn.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 10:10 AM
As if we needed any more proof that Hollywood 'Stars' and self annointed 'Activists' were totally irrelevent and involved in trivial persuit we now have a rolling fast. :rolleyes:

Tell ya what, I'll take part in rolling interest. That means of the 300 million or so people in this country we'll devide the length of their rolling fast by 300 mill and I'll take my micro second to give a damm what these idiots do. Let me know when it's my turn.

I actually don't think this is totally irrelevant at all.

In fact, it's gonna turn some people AWAY from their cause, if anything.

jspchief
07-06-2006, 10:13 AM
This has to be the pinnacle of arrogance. Like a few actors dieting for 24 hours would somehow be deemed more important than the lives of the people dying in this war.

It really puts into perspective just how ****ed in the head these actors are.

ck_IN
07-06-2006, 10:13 AM
<i>Somewhere, outside Darfur, a 4 year old non-muslim with a bloated abdomen, lays on a blanket under a bush, too tired to blow a fly from his eyeball....sympathizes with Shawn Penchief's hunger pains.</i>

And if there was any more proof needed as to how completely useless the UN is there you have it. Those blue helmeted morons won't go into one of the most backward countries in the world, establish peace and feed the refugees because they're afraid of the security situation?!!!

I'll vote for any candidate that promises to evict the residents of UN plaza, bulldoze the ground and sell it to the highest bidder.

ck_IN
07-06-2006, 10:16 AM
<i>actually don't think this is totally irrelevant at all.

In fact, it's gonna turn some people AWAY from their cause, if anything.</i>

It's irrelevant in the fact that these idiots think that not eating a tofu burger for 8 hours is going to matter a whit to anyone but themselves and the media synchophants covering them.

I can guanrantee (sp?) that these people honestly think they're making a difference.

BIG_DADDY
07-06-2006, 10:22 AM

It's irrelevant in the fact that these idiots think that not eating a tofu burger for 8 hours is going to matter a whit to anyone but themselves and the media synchophants covering them.

I can guanrantee (sp?) that these people honestly think they're making a difference.

People like that just push everyone to the right of them. Best thing to ever happen to the other side. I would like to see Mr. Bad Ass Sean Penn fight somebody besides an innocent camera man who is not ready to get hit. It cracked me up when he got busted with the hand guns in his car. If he is such a staunch liberal and a badass what does he need the hand guns for?

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 10:32 AM

My point is that they likely ARE making a difference. It's just the OPPOSITE of what they intend.

ct
07-06-2006, 10:35 AM
a rolling 24 hour fast, you gotta be kidding

:shake:

redbrian
07-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Would it count if the little starlet promptly blew her meals in the toilet?

Iowanian
07-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I've completed my rolling daily 4hr hungerstrike. Its lunchtime now, so I step away from my discomfort, to consume food in the name of growling stomochs throughout the world.

I shall smite any flies I see during this meal, in honor of the Starving child outside Darfur.

banyon
07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
This is definitely a weak-a** stunt that works counterproductively against their goal.

This is why I voted the way that I did in KC Jones' "Who do you hate more" poll.

I answered "Dumb people that share your basic political beliefs." And, while I don't share my entire ideology with these idiots, I do more or less agree with them on this issue.

morphius
07-07-2006, 11:08 AM
A rolling hungry strike? Oh for the love of God. I'd be embarrassed, truly embarrassed.

alanm
07-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I've completed my rolling daily 4hr hungerstrike. Its lunchtime now, so I step away from my discomfort, to consume food in the name of growling stomochs throughout the world.

I shall smite any flies I see during this meal, in honor of the Starving child outside Darfur.
You're a good and decent American. :thumb:

|Zach|
07-07-2006, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't know about any of this worthless pseudo activism if conservitives didn't talk about it.

I find that interesting.

CHIEF4EVER
07-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Wait, wait.....let me get this straight. These retarded Anti American bags of shite could potentially commit slow suicide if we just stay in Iraq? What's the downside? ROFL

Tribal Warfare
07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Kim Jong- Ill is behind this

where is Team America when you need them?

Ultra Peanut
07-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Wow, check out this huge crowd at the "hunger strike."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtGvR136haI

CINDY SHEEHAN IS NOT PROTECTED

jAZ
07-08-2006, 12:07 AM
...Anti American...
I thought I was told no one on the Planet hurled such attacks at Iraq War protesters. I must be seeing something.

Loki
07-09-2006, 02:40 AM
Kim Jong- Ill is behind this

where is Team America when you need them?

back at the base having COCK-tails...
http://www.geekculture.dk/bedler/system/scaled/scaled_7206.jpg

Loki
07-09-2006, 02:42 AM
the hollywood stars are showing some real conviction in this.
i am utterly unimpressed by this useless gesture.

sean penn & co are true martyrs.

pathetic. :shake:

Rausch
07-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Best idea EVAR!1!1!~

King_Chief_Fan
07-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Wow, check out this huge crowd at the "hunger strike."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtGvR136haI

CINDY SHEEHAN IS NOT PROTECTED

priceless.........a 60 year old stoned hippie freak who has no idea as to why she is there.

I support these peoples right to protest and starve themselves to death.

Baby Lee
07-29-2006, 10:43 AM
07/25/06 - day 22 of the fast.

mlyonsd
07-29-2006, 10:51 AM
07/25/06 - day 22 of the fast.

Whoaaaa, Cindy is sure showing the affects. Somebody better think about stepping in quick before it's too late.

StcChief
07-31-2006, 05:42 PM
So who's cheating and NOT dieing yet.....

This will be the same as 'I'm leaving the US' Baldwin flap.

patteeu
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
If Terry Schiavo's hunger strike had been like this, she'd still be in a persistent vegetative state.