PDA

View Full Version : Do you hate your job?

bobbything
07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Just wondering what the general consensus is on everyones' respective jobs. I, personally, despise my job and can't wait to quit.

Anyone?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
This thread should be retitled "Did you go to college, or did you get hired through nepotism?" Everyone else is pretty much f*cked.

Iowanian
07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
The past month or so....yes.

Jenson71
07-05-2006, 03:34 PM
If you ever took a foods class in high school, that's what my job is exactly like. I'm a chef helper, and it pays pretty well. I would say not in the least do I hate it, but it's far from love.

ROYC75
07-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes to all answers......... BTW, when can I retire ?

Sully
07-05-2006, 03:37 PM
I just started volunteering for what my career is gonna be, and every time I'm "working" I cannot help but think it is what I was born to do.

chiefsfaninNC
07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. I enjoy going to work each day. Of course I get to be an asshole to subcontractors, so that may have something to do with it.

jspchief
07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
There are aspects of my job that I love, but they are typically over-shadowed by the parts that I hate.

Rudy lost the toss
07-05-2006, 03:47 PM
yes

CHENZ A!
07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't hate my job, but I hate the money that I make. I need more scrilla.

FAX
07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I enjoy my vocation. Do what you love and you'll do it well and be happy. That's my motto.

And if that doesn't work out, leave chewing gum on the pews.

FAX

KcMizzou
07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty indifferent. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it either.

I like most of the people I work with, but I don't exactly get excited about going to work in the morning.

Spicy McHaggis
07-05-2006, 03:54 PM
I hate my job sometimes but it helps knowing that I won't be doing it for too much longer. Then I can get a new job to hate.

Brianfo
07-05-2006, 03:54 PM
As a matter of fact, I just sent my resume to a head hunter today. I had a job review a couple weeks ago and they left my salary the same. They are coming out with a new commission based program. I don't mean to brag, but I am good at what I do. My sales dollars have gone from 1.255 million in 2001 to just over 3 million this year. I gave them a chance to increase my salary, but they drug their feet. *$%# em. I have always wanted to work out of my house anyway. Anyone out there looking for an Agronomist?? I have been with the same company for 9 years. Started with them fresh out of college.

rageeumr
07-05-2006, 04:25 PM
I happen to really enjoy my job, but I've only been doing it for about 2 1/2 years. Come talk to me in 5 more.

|Zach|
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I hate my job sometimes but it helps knowing that I won't be doing it for too much longer. Then I can get a new job to hate.
You end up not doing the Air Force thing?

|Zach|
07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I like my job for what it is at this point in my life.

It is a good thing to have while I work for other things.

Adept Havelock
07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't hate my job. Can I hate yours?

Wise words, FAX.

onescrewleftuntwisted
07-05-2006, 04:37 PM
i love my job, unemployment

oh yeah i all so dd for the local bar

bogie
07-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I tolerate my job. I don't love it I don't hate it, but I'm very happy to be employed. That being said, my company has been experiencing layoffs due to a slow second half of the year. I did not get laid off and felt pretty good about it until literally, 10 minutes ago. My bosses assistant just emailed me and said my boss wants to meet with me at 11:00 AM tomorrow. She said he has a lot home movie films from home that he needs transfered. When I pushed for more information, she didn't have any. Right now, I have fears that tomorrow, may be my last day.

bushmaster
07-05-2006, 04:39 PM
i'm retired.

my job now is to stay at home with our 5 year old son.

i love my job.

Donger
07-05-2006, 04:40 PM
i'm retired.

i love my job.

How old are you?

bogie
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
i'm retired.

i love my job.

Hardest job you'll ever love.

bushmaster
07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
How old are you?

we adopted our son as an infant.

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I enjoy my vocation. Do what you love and you'll do it well and be happy. That's my motto.

And if that doesn't work out, leave chewing gum on the pews.

FAX

Ditto!

But there are some things I'm less tolerant of being willing to do, than I once was ..mainly due to having a kid. That's the excessive overtime...but I've worked things out so that's not so much an issue at least an issue on a regular basis.

Donger
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM

we adopted our son as an infant.

Good for you.

Bob Dole
07-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Only 12 more years until retirement.

kcfanintitanhell
07-05-2006, 05:09 PM
I'd say I loved my job-in the music business-worked with some great people, several Grammy winners, also worked with some total, clueless, morons who were both delusional about how talented they are, and what they thought the future held in store for them-the latter group since I relocated to east Tennessee.
So I'm going back to school in the fall. Going to get my license as a massage therapist. Eight months of pretty intensive work, but I need a change. I talked to a friend of mine who spent most of his adult life as a bassist (my instrument, also) who played for years with Jackal (no accounting for taste, but he's a good guy) who is studying the same. He told me that hard as it is, bass players have an edge over most people because of the strength and dexterity in their fingers from all those years playing the instrument.
Just hope the reduction in brain cells from doing same don't tilt the playing field in the other direction.

Bob Dole
07-05-2006, 05:15 PM
So I'm going back to school in the fall. Going to get my license as a massage therapist. Eight months of pretty intensive work, but I need a change.

Bob Dole dated a licensed massage therapist years ago. Both she and Bob Dole were happy with her choice of profession.

FAX
07-05-2006, 05:18 PM
I dated a psychiatrist once, Mr. Bob Dole.

She drove me nuts.

FAX

Bob Dole
07-05-2006, 05:21 PM

She drove me nuts.

FAX

Bob Dole's experience is that anyone who intends to pursue that profession is more than a bubble off level.

And healthcare professionals are automatically out.

And cat owners.

But back to the topic at hand... Bob Dole never dreamed that Bob Dole would be doing what Bob Dole does for a living. Perhaps it is because when Bob Dole was a child, Bob Dole's profession only existed on The Jetsons.

ChiefFan31
07-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Work in general pretty much licks balls.

Props to the few who truly enjoy what they do.

But hey, whatcha gonna do

bogie
07-05-2006, 05:22 PM

She drove me nuts.

FAX

I used to work side by side with my girlfriend at an orange juice factory. I got fired because i couldn't concentrate.

...I've used this joke before, but I love it.

FAX
07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Bob Dole's experience is that anyone who intends to pursue that profession is more than a bubble off level.

And cat owners.

But back to the topic at hand... Bob Dole never dreamed that Bob Dole would be doing what Bob Dole does for a living. Perhaps it is because when Bob Dole was a child, Bob Dole's profession only existed on The Jetsons.

I know how you feel, Mr. Bob Dole. It is fearsome strange how life turns.

As a child I wanted to become an international playboy. I would have been the first international playboy in our family.

FAX

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I know how you feel, Mr. Bob Dole. It is fearsome strange how life turns.

As a child I wanted to become an international playboy. I would have been the first international playboy in our family.

FAX

"Would have been?" But aren't you a musician?

Come on Mr. FAX...own up!
ROFL

58-4ever
07-05-2006, 05:35 PM
I can't stand my job. Bartending always looked kinda cool, but it sucks. I'm ready to get a real job. Who wants to hire me?

FAX
07-05-2006, 05:40 PM
I can't stand my job. Bartending always looked kinda cool, but it sucks. I'm ready to get a real job. Who wants to hire me?

That's strange to me, Mr. 58-4ever. I would have thought that bartending would be a great job. Especially if it was a good bar.

What don't you like about it?

FAX

Adept Havelock
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM

And cat owners.

Did Bob Dole want to be a Robot Strangler?

Bwana
07-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't hate it, but don't love it. It must be done if I am continue to live in a house, eat food and buy my big man toys.

bogie
07-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't hate it, but don't love it. It must be done if I am continue to live in a house, eat food and buy my big man toys.

amen brother.

crispystl420
07-05-2006, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=CHENZ A!]I don't hate my job, but I hate the money that I make. I need more scrilla.[/QUOTE

I heard that I got the graviest job in the world I just need to make more loot.

Sam Hall
07-05-2006, 06:49 PM
I enjoy my job when I'm off.

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 06:53 PM
There's a reason why work is called work.

I like what I do, but if I could spend my time reading and playing games and using the x-ray glasses that I buy from the backs of comic books, I'd prefer to do that instead.

SCTrojan
07-05-2006, 08:43 PM
The best part about my profession is that no two days are ever the same. I've loved certain days, and I've dreaded certain days. But I don't hate my job. Every day is an adventure, that's for sure.

Saulbadguy
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Right now, I could care less if the building burnt down.

I have somewhat of an interesting situation at work, and I wonder if any of you crusty (but wise) old vets could offer up any advice.

I have a co-worker. Let us call him "Ed". Ed has complete control over lots of various functions of our network, such as routing, switching, UPS (power), firewall, dhcp, etc etc. This wouldn't be a bad thing, but the rest of us have absolutely NO access, information, or anything to any of this equipment. If this guy would die tommorow, we would have no idea where to start. Even his supposed "backup" who is supposed to be trained on the stuff he is, has no access. Everytime we complain to our supervisor, he does nothing. Sometimes he may confront Ed about the problem, but Ed will give him some bullshit reason about why he can't divulge the information.

Recently, I went on a crusade of sorts to try to get some control over network monitoring and the UPS out in the switch closets. Last week, I was named "in charge" of those functions. Ed had a couple of closed door meetings with our supervisor, and surprise surprise, i'm no longer in charge of them, for bullshit reasons that make no sense. I even had monitoring set up to monitor his switches and routers, and UPS, but he turned off SNMP so I no longer could.

Bottom line, Ed is a control freak, and ALL of my co-workers feel the same way I do. The problem is our supervisor is ABSOLUTELY BLIND to the problem, and treats Ed like a son. The other bosses just don't want to deal with the problem. It's been very frustrating to try to get any work done recently - i've pretty much given up.

Nzoner
07-05-2006, 08:51 PM
There's times when I hate what I do,however,all I have to do is think about the days I used to sling garbage on a trash route in 100 degree heat and I realize that I have it damn good.

Bwana
07-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Right now, I could care less if the building burnt down.

I have somewhat of an interesting situation at work, and I wonder if any of you crusty (but wise) old vets could offer up any advice.

I have a co-worker. Let us call him "Ed". Ed has complete control over lots of various functions of our network, such as routing, switching, UPS (power), firewall, dhcp, etc etc. This wouldn't be a bad thing, but the rest of us have absolutely NO access, information, or anything to any of this equipment. If this guy would die tommorow, we would have no idea where to start. Even his supposed "backup" who is supposed to be trained on the stuff he is, has no access. Everytime we complain to our supervisor, he does nothing. Sometimes he may confront Ed about the problem, but Ed will give him some bullshit reason about why he can't divulge the information.

Recently, I went on a crusade of sorts to try to get some control over network monitoring and the UPS out in the switch closets. Last week, I was named "in charge" of those functions. Ed had a couple of closed door meetings with our supervisor, and surprise surprise, i'm no longer in charge of them, for bullshit reasons that make no sense. I even had monitoring set up to monitor his switches and routers, and UPS, but he turned off SNMP so I no longer could.

Bottom line, Ed is a control freak, and ALL of my co-workers feel the same way I do. The problem is our supervisor is ABSOLUTELY BLIND to the problem, and treats Ed like a son. The other bosses just don't want to deal with the problem. It's been very frustrating to try to get any work done recently - i've pretty much given up.
Send Ed up here to visit your uncle Bwana. I'll take the little geek prick out on a fishing trip WAY back in the mountains where only fish, myself and grizzlys hang out. Things can happen back there if you catch my jist.

kcfanintitanhell
07-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Perhaps you could figure out a way to put some doubt in the superviser's mind that the guy he treats like a son might actually be more of a daughter.

HemiEd
07-05-2006, 09:07 PM
no, but I got mad it today.

Iowanian
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't mind working. My profession was in its very infancy 15 years ago, and even the day I graduated college, I told a buddy "I'll never do xyz, evar!" as we walked down the hall after the last final.

2 weeks later, not only was I working in that profession, but leapfrogged alot of the gung-ho by job title. I'm very good at what I do, but for some reason, when I start thinking I'm happy, people make a concerted effort to piss in my post toasties.

I work, to make the money to support my family and get some of the toys I want. Until I have a much better option, I'll keep doing it.

Soon, we'll have the "power meeting" where I go ahead and let it rip, and things will improve alot, or speed up my desire to work for myself in some capacity.

Responsibilities at home trump the rest in importance for me now.

4th and Long
07-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Every morning, I look into the mirror and repeat this phrase 20 times, "I love my job. I love my job. I love my job."

I then repeat the following phrase 20 times, while still looking into the mirror, "I need my job. I need my job. I need my job."

Rausch
07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm very good at what I do, but for some reason, when I start thinking I'm happy, people make a concerted effort to piss in my post toasties.

Yeah, sorry about that. See, being happy is pretty abnormal in America today so....uh...WELCOME TO BEING A MINORITY! :clap:

stevieray
07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm incredibly blessed to do what I do.

11 years and counting.

Rausch
07-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Every morning, I look into the mirror and repeat this phrase 20 times, "I love my job. I love my job. I love my job."

I then repeat the following phrase 20 times, while still looking into the mirror, "I need my job. I need my job. I need my job."

"He'll die any day now there's no need to kill him. He'll die any day now and there's no need to kill him...he'll...die..."

stevieray
07-05-2006, 09:54 PM
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Big Dick Jones
07-05-2006, 10:00 PM
I've never had a "job". Always been self employed. If I don't like what's happening, I change directions

Mosbonian
07-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Send Ed up here to visit your uncle Bwana. I'll take the little geek prick out on a fishing trip WAY back in the mountains where only fish, myself and grizzlys hang out. Things can happen back there if you catch my jist.

I have several people who work for large retail giants I would love to send your way......

mmaddog

Yellowbutter72
07-05-2006, 10:32 PM
I love my job!!! I have been teaching elementary children (fourth grade) for 24 years. The children are great and most of the parents are wonderful! The only thing that stinks is Bush's "No Child Left Behind". As a teacher we don't want to leave any child behind, but get serious! Not every child is capable of testing in the proficient and advanced stages of the state test! And I get very tired of everybody blaming the school systems for everything when if there were more parents that would help take responsibility for their children't education then more children would not be "left behind!"

Prince22
07-05-2006, 11:40 PM
A teacher once asked me "What would you do if you had a million dollars?" And the answer to that would be what you should be when you grow up.

58-4ever
07-05-2006, 11:47 PM
That's strange to me, Mr. 58-4ever. I would have thought that bartending would be a great job. Especially if it was a good bar.

What don't you like about it?

FAX

This particular job just irritates me. There's a lot of middle-management types to deal with and about 80 percent of my customers are men. I work in a 5-star hotel so I deal with mostly businessmen. The money is tremendously erratic. I can make 300 one night and 25 the next.

I miss working in a college town. The money was more stable. I was basically my own boss, and there are TONS of beautiful girls in Norman.

greg63
07-06-2006, 01:43 AM
"He'll die any day now there's no need to kill him. He'll die any day now and there's no need to kill him...he'll...die..."

ROFLROFLROFL

Don't hate the job so much; it's the company.

Rausch
07-06-2006, 02:33 AM
ROFLROFLROFL

Don't hate the job so much; it's the company.

Noooooooo it's a mom-n-pop.

But his skin will be oooooooOOOOOOOh so comfy this december under the moonlight.... :)

ZepSinger
07-06-2006, 05:11 AM
I love my new job! Just started about a month ago as a graphic designer/Flash developer for a large KC company. Best money I've ever made. My building is just south of the Plaza, and I jog all around the Plaza every noon hour(company showers). I sit out by the company waterfall during breaks. Killer benefits. They're paying for a TON of my college. Oh yeah, I'm diggin' it. Hope I'm there for a good long while.
:)

Z

StcChief
07-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Certain things I like and don't like about IT consulting.

Solving business problems Good.
Learning about different business Good.
Developing solutions Good

Documentation bad.
Dealing with political types Bad.
Unrealistic deadlines bad.
Getting paid for every hour Good.

Being able to move to another company to solve more problems Good.

bobbything
07-06-2006, 07:57 AM
I love my new job! Just started about a month ago as a graphic designer/Flash developer for a large KC company. Best money I've ever made. My building is just south of the Plaza, and I jog all around the Plaza every noon hour(company showers). I sit out by the company waterfall during breaks. Killer benefits. They're paying for a TON of my college. Oh yeah, I'm diggin' it.
Strange. I do the same thing you do, however:

(1) I work for a smaller KC company that has numerous financial problems

(2) It's not located in a convenient place (unless I want to hit up a Royals game on my lunch break)

(3) The pay blows donkey

(4) Been here a year and still no benefits. No medical, vacation, or sick time.

(5) Occasionally we're asked to 'refrain from depositing our paychecks for a week" until clients pay their invoices

(6) Only recognizes 4 holidays per year: Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Memorial Day. Gives the middle finger to the 4th of July and New Years Day.

(7) With all the financial problems and issues regarding our payroll, the owner of the company still manages to have recently purchased a $70,000 car and a $52,000 boat.

If you don't mind me asking Zep, how did you go about landing your job?

jidar
07-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Nope, it's great.

Iowanian
07-06-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm liking it better today....2 of the assriders, have left today, for 2 week vacations.

yes. Its amazing how much better my arse fits in this chair with 2 less people on it.

jidar
07-06-2006, 08:07 AM
This thread should be retitled "Did you go to college, or did you get hired through nepotism?" Everyone else is pretty much f*cked.

Nah. I got hired for being awesome in my field. I dropped out of college.

Iowanian
07-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Order UP! jarjar

Brock
07-06-2006, 08:29 AM
This job would be great if it wasn't for the customers.

sedated
07-06-2006, 09:07 AM
A teacher once asked me "What would you do if you had a million dollars?" And the answer to that would be what you should be when you grow up.

rolling around in a huge pile of money is not a valid profession

Saulbadguy
07-06-2006, 09:07 AM
This job would be great if it wasn't for the customers.
I'm not even supposed to be here today!

FAX
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
This particular job just irritates me. There's a lot of middle-management types to deal with and about 80 percent of my customers are men. I work in a 5-star hotel so I deal with mostly businessmen. The money is tremendously erratic. I can make 300 one night and 25 the next.

I miss working in a college town. The money was more stable. I was basically my own boss, and there are TONS of beautiful girls in Norman.

Well, I can understand that, Mr. 58-4ever. I think that bartending in a hot bar would be the most awsome job. Great for your social life and great money too.

Maybe you can get work at Wabo or whatever that place is that Sammy Hagar owns in Mexico. You would probably do well there.

The best advice I can give someone is that, if you are truly unhappy with your job, quit. Life is seriously too short.

FAX

cadmonkey
07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
i am not sure if I hate my job or my current employer. where i work is currently putting a bad taste in my mouth about my profession and the practices that go on.

so i would say currently, yes, i hate my job.

sedated
07-06-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't hate my job, I just hate getting up and going to it.

and the fact that it interferes with other stuff I could be doing, like getting drunk every night, and watching Judge Judy.

but, I'd probably get bored if I didn't have a place to go for 8 hours during the day.

just wish it could start at noon, and go until 3

Iowanian
07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Its not the job thats putting that bad taste in your mouth Cadmonkey. The guys from the other cube pissed in that bottle of Wild Turkey in your drawer last tuesday.

bogie
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I tolerate my job. I don't love it I don't hate it, but I'm very happy to be employed. That being said, my company has been experiencing layoffs due to a slow second half of the year. I did not get laid off and felt pretty good about it until literally, 10 minutes ago. My bosses assistant just emailed me and said my boss wants to meet with me at 11:00 AM tomorrow. She said he has a lot home movie films from home that he needs transfered. When I pushed for more information, she didn't have any. Right now, I have fears that tomorrow, may be my last day.

Just an FYI, I met with the boss and indeed he just needed my help getting some film transfered. I'm still employed. YEA!

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 11:25 AM
I definitely don't hate my job.

I just hate working.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 11:31 AM
No.

My job allows me to bring home the cheese and live in nice, safe place with my family. I do need to feed my family, like Ty Law.

Otter
07-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I definitely don't hate my job.

I just hate working.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Yellowbutter72
07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I guess if you go into teaching thinking you are going to make a bunch of money, you better research the job closer!!! It is pretty sad when a teacher's salary qualifies their children for the free lunch program! You either love the job because of the joy you get out of watching children learn or you better get out of it. A Wal-Mart greeter proably makes more money than a teacher! :))

ck_IN
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I can't say that I've hated a job I've had since I left the warehouse I was working in during high school/college. Loading/unloading trucks in St. Joe in August or January is character building to say the least.

I have worked in places where I couldn't stand the management but the job was fine. Eventually management would do one stupid thing too many and they'd lose out on a star DBA. Their loss not mine.

ChiTown
07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I'll let you know after a gun down my boss...............

jspchief
07-06-2006, 01:17 PM
I tolerate my job. I don't love it I don't hate it, but I'm very happy to be employed. That being said, my company has been experiencing layoffs due to a slow second half of the year. I did not get laid off and felt pretty good about it until literally, 10 minutes ago. My bosses assistant just emailed me and said my boss wants to meet with me at 11:00 AM tomorrow. She said he has a lot home movie films from home that he needs transfered. When I pushed for more information, she didn't have any. Right now, I have fears that tomorrow, may be my last day.Really? What a very interesting post. It gives me a yearning to engage in a conversation.

Saulbadguy
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I guess if you go into teaching thinking you are going to make a bunch of money, you better research the job closer!!! It is pretty sad when a teacher's salary qualifies their children for the free lunch program! You either love the job because of the joy you get out of watching children learn or you better get out of it. A Wal-Mart greeter proably makes more money than a teacher! :))
The difference is a Wal-Mart greeter works 12 months a year.

Iowanian
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Its past 11am...what happedwhathapped huh huh huh?

jspchief
07-06-2006, 01:25 PM
The difference is a Wal-Mart greeter works 12 months a year.That's true, but it's not like there's a slew of good jobs waiting for teachers for 3 months every off-season.

Many schools are considering going to a year round schedule, that will include more week long lay-offs. It will be the same number of days worked, so will likely be the same pay. Then it becomes a shabby-paying year round job with a ton of unpaid, non-flexible vacation time.

bogie
07-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Really? What a very interesting post. It gives me a yearning to engage in a conversation.

Hardee har har. response.

Pitt Gorilla
07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I was just thinking tonight that I really love my job. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't think of quitting.

luv
07-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Sometimes, but overall no.

Halfcan
07-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Yep I hate my job!!

greg63
07-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Noooooooo it's a mom-n-pop.

But his skin will be oooooooOOOOOOOh so comfy this december under the moonlight.... :)

I see. :D

grandllama
07-16-2006, 10:06 PM
yes. and i work with 18 - 22 naked girls, four nights a week.

Iowanian
07-16-2006, 10:12 PM
That sounds great if it weren't for the Social diseases, semen stains, needle marks, bullemia and infected boob job scars.