PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with America today - Chapter 328 of a 350 part series.

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I had a share a little anecdote from this weekend.

My wife and I headed out to the mall yesterday, and she got a new pair of shoes and I got a new sweater, a new shirt, and two new pairs of pants. The pants are a brand called Robert Graham, and they're really cool because the cuffs turn up and they have an interesting random pattern on them that's a completely different material. I bought a blue pair and, in a first for me, I bought an orange pair that's identical to a pair that I already own, but I get so many comments on them that I bought a second pair to have available, since it's very difficult to find a good pair of orange pants.

We finished shopping, and we went to the food court for lunch. I swore that I wouldn't get the Panda Express orange chicken, because I get it every time and I shouldn't get into a rut, but then we got there and they were handing out free samples of orange chicken and I thought, "Who am I kidding?" and I got the orange chicken.

We sat down to eat, and ended up near the Merry Go Round. This mall is big, and it's got a Merry Go Round that's probably half or two-thirds the size of a full one that you would see at Six Flags, and it's got horses and zebras and sea horses and at least one rabbit that you can ride, up and down and round and round, as long as you want if you're willing to pony up a buck-fifty a ride.

There were a fair number of families there, and lots of people were hauling their little children to the Merry Go Round to ride up and down, round and round on the sea horses and ponies and rabbits, and for the smaller kids, a bench where all of the other things can be observed from an on-ride perspective.

We watched the gate open, and the kids came pouring through to the Merry Go Round, their parents behind them. The kids climbed up on the platform, put their dirty little feet into the stirrups, and hauled themselves aboard their various mammals like little sticky cowboys and cowgirls. Then their parents fastened their seat belts, and away they went.

What?

FASTENED THEIR SEAT BELTS?

This Merry Go Round had seat belts on all of the horses. Seat belts! The children of today are not allowed to ride a Merry Go Round without wearing seat belts that hook them to the horses and sea horses and rabbits.

Now, I grew up in the era where, if a child could not hang on to a horse, said child fell off and presumably learned a lesson from it. Our motto was "If you fall off a horse, get right back on." Even with that philosophy, I remain today somewhat of a wimp. And if that's true, what does our future hold? An entire generation of kids who either a) cannot fall off a horse to start with, and b) have the motto of "If you fall off a horse, it means that the seat belt wasn't attached properly."

And really - who falls off of a Merry Go Round horse anyway? In all of my childhood, I never saw a child get bucked off of a Merry Go Round horse, and I would hazard to say that, from a genetic viewpoint, any child who couldn't stay on such a beast probably shouldn't survive to a reproductive age anyway.

I'm sure glad that I grew up in an era where all of my minor risks weren't mitigated.

ZootedGranny
07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Chapter 329: Men buying orange pants.

ExtremeChief
07-05-2006, 05:15 PM
I couldn't get past the pants thing either.

tyton75
07-05-2006, 05:18 PM
yeah.. you lost me at Orange Pants...

are you heading to Clown School where you can get these little kids to sit on your lap instead of on the Merry Go Round??

:)

AZORChiefFan
07-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Yep. I agree we are babying kids too much these days. What with bike helmets, no Lawn Jarts®, not keeping score in lil leagues and so on. Look if your too stupid as a kid to injure yourself on a bike or with Jarts then you probably shouldnt make it to adulthood. Futhermore losing is part of life that's if you can't handle it then don't play. I was on a T-ball (Bonner IGA) that went 1-13 or some such nonsense. I had a great time. Next year I was on team for Lonestar Cement Co. we went 13 and 1. So I went from the cellar to the penthouse in one year. Now kids are being protected from anything negative - Dammit life is negative at times get over it and move on. If you are going to critique my post please don't use red text it might be negative for me. And if you like my post don't use any smilies cause it wouldn't be fair to the other posters.

Bob Dole
07-05-2006, 06:03 PM
It's criminal that they don't supply helmets for the children to wear while riding the carousel.

AustinChief
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
NICE!
http://z.about.com/d/mensfashion/1/5/-/5/lacosteman7.jpg

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 06:15 PM
It's criminal that they don't supply helmets for the children to wear while riding the carousel.

ROFL That's nuttin' my kid rides in medeivel body armour...makes her feel like a knight on one of those horses.

Joking aside...I have yet to see a carousel with seat belts. Altough the carousels ended in 1999 for mine. I don't recall Disney World having 'em or Bush Gardens either.

ChiefFan31
07-05-2006, 06:15 PM

No shit, dont forget the mouthpiece and the floatie arm cushions.

Bob Dole
07-05-2006, 06:17 PM
No shit, dont forget the mouthpiece and the floatie arm cushions.

And airbags. They should definitely have airbags.

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Chapter 329: Men buying orange pants.

These aren't bad orange pants. These are good orange pants. They're really bright, but nonetheless classy.

BigVE
07-05-2006, 08:02 PM
These are good orange pants. They're really bright, but nonetheless classy.

Uh...sorry. No such thing with ORANGE PANTS!!!

headsnap
07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
http://www.vinylwear.com/materials/plastic_pants_orange.jpg

:eek:

headsnap
07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
http://www.byz.org/~immort/bm2003/m/BM2003-266-200308281747-GeoffFezOrangePants-MagicCarpetRideScooter.jpg

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Longer pants than that. See my comments about cuffs.

Yo, headsnapdawg, where you been? It seems like I haven't seen you post in ages.

headsnap
07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Longer pants than that. See my comments about cuffs.

Yo, headsnapdawg, where you been? It seems like I haven't seen you post in ages.
I got a promotion and am now playing the corporate ladder game.

Besides they frown on the BB thing at work and now that I am one of those manager types, I have to be an expample.

I lurk a bit, and will post more during the season.

stevieray
07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
You own more orange than Pat Bowlen

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/cowboy.htm

http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/images/cowboy.gif

Rausch
07-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Orange pants, apricot car, orange pants, no kids, lives in Denver.

Uh huh.

You and Tom Cruise, yeah. You guys can come out now...

listopencil
07-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm going to get me some orange pants.

Rain Man
07-05-2006, 11:16 PM

I'll warn you that not everyone can pull off this look.

NJ Chief Fan
07-05-2006, 11:58 PM
These aren't bad orange pants. These are good orange pants. They're really bright, but nonetheless classy.

are you a closet bronco fan

NJ Chief Fan
07-05-2006, 11:58 PM
see this donkey fan wants them too... to match his orange john elgay jersey

stevieray
07-06-2006, 12:44 AM
are you a closet bronco fan

nope, just a closet traffic cone.

TheBigChief
07-06-2006, 08:15 AM
AZChiefFan,

You are from Bonner Springs? What year did you graduate?

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 08:18 AM
It's all Bush's fault. If he wouldn't have fallen off of the merry-go-round...

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 08:19 AM
BTW - did you order the orange chicken while wearing the orange pants?

Eskimo Joe
07-06-2006, 08:22 AM

Orange pants? Would that be Tampa Bay Bucs orange or Denver Bronco orange pants?

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 08:24 AM
or tennesuck vols orange or the magnificent florida gators orange?

AZORChiefFan
07-06-2006, 08:24 AM
AZChiefFan,

You are from Bonner Springs? What year did you graduate?
I lived in Bonner till 1986 and moved to Tonganoxie and graduated in '91.

Eskimo Joe
07-06-2006, 08:33 AM
or tennesuck vols orange or the magnificent florida gators orange?

Gee, I thought that an NFL board we should just compare NFL teams.

Knock, Knock.

Who's there?

Banana.

Banana Who?

Knock, Knock.

Who's there?

Banana.

Banana Who?

Knock, Knock.

Who's there?

Banana.

Banana Who?

Knock, Knock.

Who's there?

Banana.

Banana Who?

Knock, Knock.

Who's there?

Orange.

Orange Who?

Orange you glad I didn't say banana again?

Braincase
07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Dude...you really ought to change your tag under your handle to read "Deeply Closeted"...

KC Jones
07-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Look if your too stupid...

if you live in a glass house....

KC Jones
07-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I can see there are a lot of non-parents on this thread. The whole point to the seatbelts is to strap your kid to the horse, so you can leave and shop knowing their safely tethered to an amusement ride. At least that's how I use them.

donkhater
07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
I would hazard to guess the parents (most of them anyway) believe as you do and think that seatbelts are ridiculous. However, the problem stated in the title post is just a microcosim of the larger problem that America has.---Entitlement.

One child falls off the horse and a lawsuit appears. The mall is only doing what it can to protect itself from these ridiculous lawsuits. People who have money have to protect themselves from people who don't have money in this country and/or are too stupid to get it on their own.

Want to know how bad it is? I was visiting my father-in-law over X-mas and saw a sticker on one of the new windows he has installed in his house. The label read, "Warning. Persons may fall through opening when the window sash is open." No BS. That's what it said. This is what this country has come to. And it's disgusting.

AZORChiefFan
07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
if you live in a glass house....

Dammit. I hate when I make that mistake.

I remember a picture I liberated from one of my art classes at JCCC. The picture was of an auto worker standing outside the plant he worked, holding a cardboard sign that read "Japan says your stupid and lazy"

Iowanian
07-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Thats just an effect, not the cause...

Its necessary to put stature and age-impaired Jahynnee in the belt because if the operator were to fail to properly instruct him on the dangers of focusing his attention on the kids playing in the adjacent arcade, instead of hanging on tightly, and were to fall, causing....gasp...a bruise....His parents file a multimillion dollar lawsuit vs the building owner, the carosel operator and his employer.

We somehow became a country where being Offended, was grounds for a lawsuit, where making a kid mow the yard to teach them responsibility is achild labor violation, and learning the agony of defeat would turn them into a twitching, disability collecting Couch lard. At least its a country where foreigners recieve free tuition to our universities, while middle class Americans struggle to afford community college.

ChiefsOne
07-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Good read and great laugh Rain Man.

Seatbelts on Merry-Go-Rounds are about as ridiculous as it gets.... Then I remembered a couple that I know. They have a autistic kid and the dad wanted the kid to wear a helmet in the car seat so if his head bobbled it didn't hit the window or side of the car seat.

We have a screwed up society and pretty stupid people running around having kids.

Iowanian
07-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Its right up there with "Do not insert this road flare into your body cavity"

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
were you all aware that coffee is served hot?

Iowanian
07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
In Short, the problem with America is Kalifornia.

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I was thinking Texas...

Rain Man
07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
were you all aware that coffee is served hot?

That is so irresponsible.

Rain Man
07-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I was thinking Texas...

Are you kidding? In Texas, they start the Merry Go Round, and the kids have to run up and pull themselves onto a moving horse while the ride operator shoots arrows at them. Texas is not the problem.

ChiefsOne
07-06-2006, 10:58 AM

Actually it is Judges, Lawyers and the System that allows these kind of cases get to court.

Rooster
07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
This is a long read but is relevant to the subject.

New Book Revives Lost Notions of Boyhood
Tuesday, July 04, 2006
By Wendy McElroy

Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails are what readers of a surprise bestseller are made of.

The Dangerous Book for Boys by the British brothers Conn and Hal Iggulden is a practical manual that returns boys to the wonder and almost lost world of tree houses and pirate flags. It celebrates the art of teaching an old mutt new tricks and accepts skinned knees as an acceptable risk for running through fields with the same dog yapping along.

As of July 3, The Dangerous Book is the number one seller on Amazon UK and it is holding steady at about 7,000 on Amazon in the U.S., where it was published on June 5. The Australian News reports that the book "has made it to the top five of…Amazon [Australia], after just a week."

Those results make publishers take notice. But social commentators are also reacting with both applause and condemnation.

Condemnation arises because The Dangerous Book breaks the dominant and politically correct stereotype for children's books. It presents boys as being deeply different than girls in terms of their interests and pursuits. Although it is highly probable that bookstores will sell the book to girls who then will go on to practice skimming stones, nevertheless the genders are separated within the book's pages.

The authors clearly believe that the majority of children interested in learning to build a catapult are boys. Girls are included only through a final chapter in which boys are admonished to treat them with respect.

In celebrating old-fashioned boyhood and providing a blueprint on how to reclaim it, The Dangerous Book is revolutionary. It discards decades of social engineering that approaches children as being psychologically gender neutral. The book implicitly rebukes school texts that strip out gender references. Instead, it says 'boys will be boys'; they always have been, they always will be, and that's a good thing.

Thus The Dangerous Book achieves social revolution without preaching or politics; it does so in the name of fun.

The sort of fun promoted has also raised eyebrows. In a society that is preoccupied with safety, The Dangerous Book promotes activities in which boys are likely to get scuffed. This is a book for tree-climbers who occasionally pause to decipher enemy code or erupt into wood-wielding pirate fights.

Why would the Iggulden brothers imperil children?

Clearly they do not think the rough-and-tumble of boyhood constitutes a health hazard. Perhaps they agree with parents who view over-protectiveness to be a greater danger, who wish to stir the imagination and muscles of their children instead.

But the brothers wish to achieve more than this. In a world where children are isolated behind computer screens and iPods, they wish to establish a niche for old-fashioned childhood.

The brothers state, "In this age of video games and mobile phones, there must still be a place for knots, tree-houses and stories of incredible courage." They advise children to "play sport of some kind. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it replaces the corpse-like pallor of the computer programmer with a ruddy glow."

Their vision is not utopian or even impractical. For example, a tree house requires only a blueprint, some scrap lumber and a willing parent. The latter requirement turns The Dangerous Book into something more than a work for boys. It is also a guide for parents, especially for fathers who wish to establish an old-fashioned connection with their children.

Indeed, since parents purchase most children's books, it is reasonable to assume that the run-away success of The Dangerous Book is partly due to their longing for a better connection.

One father describes his experience with the book, "I gave it to my 11-year-old son Charles and his friend…Then I stood well back." Raised on The Lord of the Rings, "they immediately turned to the section of the book that showed them how to create their own Legolas-style archery kit, using bits of old branch no longer needed by the Ents. When they began stripping the bark off with a big, shiny, sharp-bladed Swiss Army knife, I had to dig down deep in order to ignore the parental risk-ometer readings that were going off the scale, accompanied by vivid flash-forwards of the inevitable long, bloodstained-bandaged hours ahead in casualty."

Happily, the only injury was to evildoers who lurked in the garden shrubbery.

These days, the news about boys is not happy and often contains the word 'crisis.' The Education Sector, a non-profit think tank, offers a typical description of the perceived 'crisis' within education.

"After decades spent worrying about how schools 'shortchange girls,' the eyes of the nation's education commentariat are now fixed on how they shortchange boys. In 2006 alone, a Newsweek cover story, a major New Republic article, a long article in Esquire, a 'Today' show segment, and numerous op-eds have informed the public that boys are falling behind girls in elementary and secondary school and are increasingly outnumbered on college campuses."

Society is awakening to the possibility that boys have been disadvantaged. In past decades, what it means to be a boy has been redefined, deconstructed, reconstructed, politically analyzed and mathematically modeled. In the process, the meaning of being a boy's father has become jumbled as well.

In the midst of the confusion, The Dangerous Book brings non-political truths into focus. For example, most boys like rough-and-tumble. They are riveted by tales of heroism on blood-soaked battlefields. They will learn history eagerly if it is presented in a chapter on Artillery.

Like Peter Pan, the Iggulden brothers have rediscovered the Lost Boys and are beckoning for them to come out to play. "Oh…and bring along your father too," they add with a dangerous wink and a smile.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,202064,00.html

BIG_DADDY
07-06-2006, 01:35 PM

Yes and no. We are a ton of the production for the entire union. There is definately a liberal/feminine/gay agenda going on out here but I don't think it is any worse than many areas on the East coast. They definately hate testosterone on any level and are doing their very best to turn our young boys into little fems. The problem with this mentality not only effects the boys coming up it also has a negative impact on little girls as well. Living here in the bay area which is the worst of the worst when it comes to this mentality in The People's Republic of California I see it all the time. If a girl was raised here many of them have serious attitude problems. It cracks me up when you have an attractive young 20 something year old bitching about how whe can't find anyone worth dating. Get a clue girl you are in the #1 rated area in the entire country for eligible single males. You ever consider the possiblility that maybe they don't want to put up with your shit? I gotta tell you those feminist and super liberal bumper stickers you got on your car ain't helping your cause either. Their sense of entitlement is beyond belief.

BIG_DADDY
07-06-2006, 01:38 PM
I just want to go on record as saying this whole pussification of America thing makes me sick. I am sure none of you were aware of that.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 01:46 PM
AZChiefFan,

You are from Bonner Springs? What year did you graduate?I Have relatives from Bonner.

Is the Dairy Dine still open at the top of that hill by the 7 eleven?

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I lived in Bonner till 1986 and moved to Tonganoxie and graduated in '91.They had a nice public swimming pool in Tonganoxie. Ahh, childhood memories.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Get a clue girl you are in the #1 rated area in the entire country for eligible single males. You ever consider the possiblility that maybe they don't want to put up with your shit.No kidding. I could just immagine how hard it would be to get one of those things wet enough to screw.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
In Short, the problem with America is Kalifornia.Its more like Mexifornia.

BIG_DADDY
07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
No kidding. I could just immagine how hard it would be to get one of those things wet enough to screw.

Short hair
Bad Attitude
Projects their hate for men but wants their attention
Nose in the air
Sense of entitlement
Try to be bossy

I don't know why anyone would go out with that.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Short hair
Bad Attitude
Projects their hate for men but wants their attention
Nose in the air
Sense of entitlement
Try to be bossy

I don't know why anyone would go out with that.In my 19 years of waiting on, mostly women, this is the type that, if I am having a bad day, will piss off and make them go away angry never to come back. It has happened about 5 times in 19 years. Always a women, and always this type.

BIG_DADDY
07-06-2006, 05:45 PM
In my 19 years of waiting on, mostly women, this is the type that, if I am having a bad day, will piss off and make them go away angry never to come back. It has happened about 5 times in 19 years. Always a women, and always this type.

They had one come in to get an order of sushi at a really popular restaurant last weekend that was packed with people waiting outside. She puts in an order to go and he says about 15 minutes. She comes back right at 15 minutes and they were almost done with her order. He says Sorry it's really busy 5 more minutes please. YOu would have tought someone ripped her off for everything she was worth the way she acted. After completely blowing up she leaves never to return for her order. I was like "who the **** do you think you are?' If it wasn't so outrageously ridiculous and fast I would have. The stupid box thought they should drop everything else they were doing for everyone else and put her at the top of the priority list. When she left I just told Rina "can you imagine the poor guy that's got that coming home to him" Probably tore his head off as soon as she walked in the door.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 05:47 PM
They had one come in to get an order of sushi at a really popular restaurant last weekend that was packed with people waiting outside. She puts in an order to go and he says about 15 minutes. She comes back right at 15 minutes and they were almost done with her order. He says Sorry it's really busy 5 more minutes please. YOu would have tought someone ripped her off for everything she was worth the way she acted. After completely blowing up she leaves never to return for her order. I was like "who the **** do you think you are?' If it wasn't so outrageously ridiculous and fast I would have. The stupid box thought they should drop everything else they were doing for everyone else and put her at the top of the priority list. When she left I just told Rina "can you imagine the poor guy that's got that coming home to him" Probably tore his head off as soon as she walked in the door.ROFL

She just needs to be shown the right way by someone like you. :p

BIG_DADDY
07-06-2006, 05:50 PM
ROFL

She just needs to be shown the right way by someone like you. :p

I honestly don't think there is any hope for someone like that. I think the bitch will always be miserable and make everyone around her the same way in spite of the fact that she is loaded, good looking and has probably had everything handed to her on a silver platter her entire life.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 05:56 PM
I honestly don't think there is any hope for someone like that. I think the bitch will always be miserable and make everyone around her the same way in spite of the fact that she is loaded, good looking and has probably had everything handed to her on a silver platter her entire life.Just think of it as a challenge. :p