PDA

View Full Version : Arlington is next.

redbrian
07-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes that’s hyperbole on my part, but I think the point can be made that a squeaky minority in this country is forcing “tolerance” on the majority while refusing any type of tolerance on there part.

The cross is not just a Christian symbol but also a strong symbol of sacrifice, in the case of War memorials and military cemeteries, or any memorial commemorating those who have sacrificed their lives, this is the message the cross is emplaced to impart to those tolerant enough to understand the message.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=27989

"The organization American Atheists is protesting a proposal to use a large steel cross found in the rubble of the World Trade Center in a memorial to victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Describing itself as a "nationwide movement which defends the civil rights of nonbelievers," the group said in a statement yesterday that use of the cross in a government-funded monument "would violate the separation of church and state, be insensitive to those victims who had no religious beliefs and would incredibly pay homage to religion – the prime motivating factor in the faith-based attack of Sept. 11.""

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/14961409.htm

"A lower court judge had ordered the city of San Diego to remove the cross or be fined $5,000 a day.

The 29-foot cross, on San Diego property, sits atop Mount Soledad.

A judge declared that the cross, a symbol of Christianity, was an unconstitutional endorsement of one religion over another.

The cross, which has been in place for decades, was contested by Philip Paulson, a Vietnam veteran and atheist."

Lurch
07-05-2006, 07:54 PM
GD Communist bastards.

redbrian
07-05-2006, 08:02 PM
You have got to wonder how far up his ass the San Diego judge had his head.

The Supreme Court had already ruled that historical monuments were exempt from this type of horse shit.

The memorial was built in the mid 50’s.

Saulbadguy
07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
haha.

Eskimo Joe
07-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Will they also remove the Star of David from the Jewish graves?

recxjake
07-05-2006, 08:45 PM
This is just awful

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Can someone refresh my memory here, where in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights is the right to never be offended or bothered?

stevieray
07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Can someone refresh my memory here, where in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights is the right to never be offended or bothered?

Ask Oprah.

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Ask Oprah.
People who interview Tom Cruise bother me. Oprah must die. Right?

Pitt Gorilla
07-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't know why people get so offended. In this case, anti-religious nuts get all upset. In other cases (such as this board), the religious nut jobs get their panties in a bunch. People just like to be offended.

Simplex3
07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
People just like to be offended.
:clap:

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 10:18 PM
The right to be offended in right here:

Ninth Amendment
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2006, 10:31 PM
"TAKE THAT, YOU VILE CREATURE!"

http://random-m.com/images/98647808_strawman.jpg

BucEyedPea
07-05-2006, 10:34 PM
ROFL ROFL :clap: Good one!

Rausch
07-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Any real Atheist isn't offended by religion.

For a true Atheist it's like watching kids looking forward to Santa and all the presents. Do you find many parents offended by Santa because he's not real?

No.

Why should you?

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 09:05 AM
These civil liberties groups need a refresher course...they have no idea what "separation of church and state" means.

banyon
07-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Yep. Scott Arlington should've been the Royals all-Star.

er...you guys are talking about somethin' else.

Adept Havelock
07-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't know why people get so offended. In this case, anti-religious nuts get all upset. In other cases (such as this board), the religious nut jobs get their panties in a bunch. People just like to be offended.
Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Give that man a cigar!
The right to be offended in right here:
Ninth Amendment
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."
ROFL
:clap: :clap:
For a true Atheist it's like watching kids looking forward to Santa and all the presents. Do you find many parents offended by Santa because he's not real?
No.
Why should you?
Very well said. "Like watching the Rubes at a carnival game" would also be a less PC, but apt description of my (admittedly peculiar) view.

el borracho
07-08-2006, 12:48 PM
"The cross is not just a Christian symbol but also a strong symbol of sacrifice, in the case of War memorials and military cemeteries, or any memorial commemorating those who have sacrificed their lives, this is the message the cross is emplaced to impart to those tolerant enough to understand the message."

Yeah, right. And the swastika is a symbol of good luck and the hammer and sickle symbol represents the unity between agricultural and industrial workers.

Perhaps we should place a symbol of good luck and a symbol of unity next to every public symbol of sacrifice. Who could ever complain about symbols of good luck and unity?

el borracho
07-08-2006, 01:19 PM

No.

Why should you?
Because Santa Claus was not responsible for the Inquisition and the violent conquest of the Americas.

Atheists deny the existence of any god, including the christian god. Atheists do not deny the existence of religious groups nor discount the historical actions of those groups. If christianity were as benign as Santa Claus people might be less offended.

Ultra Peanut
07-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Because Santa Claus was not responsible for the Inquisition and the violent conquest of the Americas. Looks like someone slept through history class...

Though to be fair, the Easter Bunny caused some of that shit.

SCChief
07-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Looks like someone slept through history class...

Though to be fair, the Easter Bunny caused some of that shit.

I thought it was the Great Pumpkin? Well... guess I was sleeping as well.

SCChief
07-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Because Santa Claus was not responsible for the Inquisition and the violent conquest of the Americas.

Atheists deny the existence of any god, including the christian god. Atheists do not deny the existence of religious groups nor discount the historical actions of those groups. If christianity were as benign as Santa Claus people might be less offended.

Christianity is not the cause of any of these things. People twisting Christianity to suit their own purposes are. Just the same as people twisting the Constitution to attack Christianity. Any idea or philosophy, no matter how noble, turns to shite in human hands. We are horribly-flawed creatures when it is all said and done.

Adept Havelock
07-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Christianity is not the cause of any of these things. People twisting Christianity to suit their own purposes are. Just the same as people twisting the Constitution to attack Christianity. Any idea or philosophy, no matter how noble, turns to shite in human hands. We are horribly-flawed creatures when it is all said and done.

While I agree religion is, like a sword, something that can be used for good or ill, let's remember that those same horribly-flawed creatures created religion (being the social-political structure man creates around the concept of spirituality) in the first place. Thus, why should disparate results such as the charitable works of Mother Theresa or the Inquisition and Malleus Maleficarum come as a surprise to any of us? :shrug:

SCChief
07-09-2006, 07:22 AM
While I agree religion is, like a sword, something that can be used for good or ill, let's remember that those same horribly-flawed creatures created religion (being the social-political structure man creates around the concept of spirituality) in the first place. Thus, why should disparate results such as the charitable works of Mother Theresa or the Inquisition and Malleus Maleficarum come as a surprise to any of us? :shrug:

Nothing surprises me when it comes to human beings anymore. Hehehehe.

Eskimo Joe
07-09-2006, 07:29 AM

Do you differentiate between religion and Christianity? They are two completely different disiplines, one created by man and one created by the Son of God.

You are right that all religious doctrines were written by man and that they are flawed [maybe not your exact words but near enough for argument].

I think a true Christian acts in spite of organized religions. It could be the place the phrase "WWJD" came from.

Rausch
07-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Do you differentiate between religion and Christianity? They are two completely different disiplines, one created by man and one created by the Son of God.

You are right that all religious doctrines were written by man and that they are flawed [maybe not your exact words but near enough for argument].

I think a true Christian acts in spite of organized religions. It could be the place the phrase "WWJD" came from.

No, I'm pretty sure Jesus wore a funny hat and lived in a centuries old palace...

Adept Havelock
07-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Do you differentiate between religion and Christianity?
Nope. All myths are equal in my eyes.

Eskimo Joe
07-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Nope. All myths are equal in my eyes.

You can't prove Christianity is true so it's a myth?

I guess that put's the objective argument out of the window.

Good luck.

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Where is your proof that Christianity is more divinely-inspired than Hinduism or Shinto or Islam?

Yeah, you're Captain Objectivity.

stevieray
07-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Where is your proof that Christianity is more divinely-inspired than Hinduism or Shinto or Islam?

"I don't care what name they say
I don't care what name they use
I don't care what name they say
Jesus is just alright with me
Jesus is just alright"

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Quite the riposte.

Eskimo Joe
07-09-2006, 12:14 PM

If you need proof from me it is obvious that you haven't a clue.

I won't attack the religions as the others have, but I will support what I believe.

I never claimed to be objective, I just commented that the other guy couldn't have any objectivity due to his belief that all religions are myths.

How about you?