View Full Version : Chicago Columnist Slams Poz, Royals and Kansas City

nychief
07-05-2006, 10:51 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley05.html
Don't like Royals' Redman? Don't second-guess Ozzie

July 5, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter
Advertisement

Trust me, I know there's not much going on in Kansas City these days. Certainly not any semblance of major-league baseball.

But making it open season on White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen to try to make a name for yourself is getting a little tired -- kind of like all the girls walking around with Chihuahuas in their arms and saying, "That's hot.''

Kansas City Star columnist Joe Posnanski is the latest trend-setter to pile on Guillen, criticizing his selection of unspectacular Royals pitcher Mark Redman to the American League All-Star team.

Posnanski's criticism was not only completely predictable, but also flawed.

Even before sitting down with his sensitivity teacher Monday and finding his happy place, Guillen was smart enough to realize it's hunting season on him. That began ever since his well-publicized tirade against Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti more than two weeks ago.

Guillen witnessed it when the Astros came to the South Side that week and a Houston reporter did his best to put his name on the map by goading Guillen into an argument about his opinions on Latinos in baseball.

And Guillen was bracing for the fallout from his All-Star selections. Like a good fishy, Posnanski bit.

"Well, tell the columnist from Kansas City when he knows anything about baseball, start writing about baseball,'' Guillen said Tuesday. "The thing is, he has no idea about the rules of how this worked, he doesn't know what we need for the game, and he doesn't know what's important for the All-Star Game. He needs to understand what he's writing about.''

Guillen even took it a step further, again inviting any player, manager or reporter who has questions about individuals on the All-Star team to call him or e-mail him at OzzieGuillen13@hotmail.com.

Posnanski clearly didn't take advantage of Guillen's open-door policy, instead writing: "It's not fair to Redman. This is not his fault. He's doing what the Royals are paying him to do. This is all on Ozzie Guillen.''

According to Posnanski, "If Guillen cared about the fans, he would have picked Mark Grudzielanek.''

If the Royals cared about their fans, Grudzielanek wouldn't be their best player to choose from.

"The reason we took Redman is because at least four of the pitchers that are going to the All-Star Game that were picked by the players are scheduled to pitch on Sunday,'' Guillen said. "That made me grab more arms because I don't know what I'm going to get from those guys. I needed more arms. That's the reason I took Mark Buehrle, and that's why I took Redman.

"I had to pick someone from their team. Grudzielanek -- I have so many infielders. I needed pitchers. Then when you have Major League Baseball telling you that I had to pick more pitchers because of what happened in Milwaukee [in 2002] ... people don't understand how your hands are tied.''

The last thing commissioner Bud Selig needs under his already-embarrassing regime is another tie in an All-Star Game, so loading up on pitchers was more of an order than a choice. Redman, as average as he is at 5-4 with a 5.59 ERA, was the winner.

Kind of like being named valedictorian of summer school.

"Look, I don't even know this 'Posney' guy, and I really don't care anything about him,'' Guillen said, "but I said if anyone has a problem or question to call me and I would explain it to them. He doesn't know anything about picking an All-Star team and what goes into it. But yet he's going to sit back and rip me?

"There's a lot of players that deserve to be in the game. Does [Travis] Hafner deserve to be in the game? [Jason] Giambi? Yes, but I have enough first basemen and designated hitters. When people actually learn the rules and know how the team is done, then they can rip me. Or better yet, just ask me and I'll explain it to you. Until then, stick to what you know.''

Such as Gates Bar-B-Q, bass-fishing tournaments -- heck, aren't Jeff Foxworthy and "The Blue Collar Comedy Tour'' big in Kansas City?

Now that's hot.

jcowley@suntimes.com

keg in kc
07-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Someone explain to me why I should give a shit what some douche from chicago has to say.

nychief
07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Someone explain to me why I should give a shit what some douche from chicago has to say.

are you too busy watching your Blue Collar Comedy DVD? I found it insulting.

keg in kc
07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm in a late-night bass-fishing tournament.

nychief
07-05-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm in a late-night bass tournament.
ROFL ROFL ROFL

CHENZ A!
07-05-2006, 11:06 PM
"Such as Gates Bar-B-Q, bass-fishing tournaments -- heck, aren't Jeff Foxworthy and "The Blue Collar Comedy Tour'' big in Kansas City?"

This little bitch knows nothing about KC other than the name of a Restaraunt, yet he's ripping us? Seems to me that was the same thing he was just crying about.

I can see Guillen's reason for picking Redman, and I think MLB needs to look at how these teams are selected, but it isn't his(Guillen's) fault.

I think Posnanski is a good writer, but it is debateable whether he was right or wrong in this instance. This Cowley cocksucker couldn't hold Joe's jock.

wutamess
07-05-2006, 11:08 PM
"Kind of like being named valedictorian of summer school."

That comment alone gets rep.
ROFL

tk13
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Posnanski has been named the best sports columnist in America two of the last three years. I don't think he really needs to make a name for himself. This guy needs to sit down and shut up.

morphius
07-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I'd find it insulting if I cared what some bum from Chicago said about us, he just ought to be glad he isn't just stuck about the cubs at this point.

milkman
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
"Such as Gates Bar-B-Q, bass-fishing tournaments -- heck, aren't Jeff Foxworthy and "The Blue Collar Comedy Tour'' big in Kansas City?"

This little bitch knows nothing about KC other than the name of a Restaraunt, yet he's ripping us? Seems to me that was the same thing he was just crying about.

I can see Guillen's reason for picking Redman, and I think MLB needs to look at how these teams are selected, but it isn't his(Guillen's) fault.

I think Posnanski is a good writer, but it is debateable whether he was right or wrong in this instance. This Cowley one who sucks the penis couldn't hold Joe's jock.

The reality is that the All Star game shouldn't have any significance.

Home field advantage should be determined by the best record of the teams participating.

If the All Star game is tied after nine innings, then it should end in a tie.

That way a manager doesn't have to be concerned about how many arms he has.

It's nothing more than a high profile exhibition game, and should be treated as such.

Sure-Oz
07-05-2006, 11:37 PM
This article is as much of a joke as Redman being an All Star.

Cochise
07-05-2006, 11:38 PM
I don't like the new all-star format because it works the roster out this way.

Guillen probably made the right decision as a manager trying to win a game for the AL to get homefield in the WS. Having a left hander who is hot right now to come out of the pen could be the difference. Pitching like on any other level of baseball is always at a premium.

I remember when I was little I always watched the all-star game because I wanted to see what the Royals players did. Now they aren't even guaranteed to get into the game are they? Recently, I haven't even watched it some years.

It just doesn't seem to have the luster it did before. When it was purely exhibition you got to see matchups you had never seen and all the players get on the field. Now that we have interleague play and the game is meaningful, it's suffering from the same sickness the playoffs are. Largely players from the same big-market teams, matchups you've seen before, and it's just not as exciting as it used to be.

beavis
07-05-2006, 11:50 PM
The reality is that the All Star game shouldn't have any significance.

Home field advantage should be determined by the best record of the teams participating.

If the All Star game is tied after nine innings, then it should end in a tie.

That way a manager doesn't have to be concerned about how many arms he has.

It's nothing more than a high profile exhibition game, and should be treated as such.
:clap:

StcChief
07-06-2006, 07:11 AM
I'd find it insulting if I cared what some bum from Chicago said about us, he just ought to be glad he isn't just stuck about the cubs at this point.
My thought exactly....

The Cubs are working their way to the bottom as well....

If the didn't have a strong WS team,

they would all be whiny waiting for Bears training camp.

ImAWalkingCorpse
07-06-2006, 07:57 AM
I had never even heard of this guy until now. I would be willing to bet he has never been to Kansas City, so his opinion means nothing to me. That being said Redman was the right choice with the way the game is played. Truth of the matter is the Royals don't deserve an allstar selection.

Messier
07-06-2006, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=nychief
If the Royals cared about their fans, Grudzielanek wouldn't be their best player to choose from.
[/QUOTE]

Say what you want that is true.

Braincase
07-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Notice the guy's title - "Staff Reporter"

Can anybody tell me a little bit about JoePo's reputation as a journalist? I think that the fact that it took a staff reporter to write this explains alot. None of their legitimate name sports columnists had the rocks to go after Posnanski under their own byline.

"to try to make a name for yourself "?

Did yonder stoopfawk even look at Joe's biblio before he wrote this? You gotta know he saw it the day after and went "Cripes... I had no idea...".

jspchief
07-06-2006, 09:50 AM
According to Posnanski, "If Guillen cared about the fans, he would have picked Mark Grudzielanek.''

Blam!

StcChief
07-06-2006, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=nychief

Say what you want that is true.[/QUOTE]

Can't compete in MLB with $35M payroll, sorry Glass, poney up, or go home.

tk13
07-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Can't compete in MLB with $35M payroll, sorry Glass, poney up, or go home.
Our payroll is close to $50 million dollars. You should've already learned from this writer that you should check your facts before making statements like that.

PunkinDrublic
07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Notice the difference between Poz's column and this douchebags column. Poz comes up with facts and stats to back up what he's saying while all this other guy can do is call KC backwoods and badmouth Poz. You'd have thought a third grader wrote this column.

FringeNC
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Posnanski has been named the best sports columnist in America two of the last three years. I don't think he really needs to make a name for himself. This guy needs to sit down and shut up.

Yep. Posnanski is one of the most respected baseball writers in the country.

Cochise
07-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Our payroll is close to $50 million dollars. You should've already learned from this writer that you should check your facts before making statements like that.

If you are expecting him to make informed, intelligent statements about baseball I doubt if you have been paying much attention. ;)