PDA

View Full Version : ESPN has Tamba Hali Defensive Rookie of Year

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 10:30 AM
....in this video.

Go to the video on the right called "Which NFL Rookies will have the Biggest Impact."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_NFL_NFL

This was the list:

1. Reggie Bush, Saints
2. Joseph Addai, Colts
3. LenDale White, Titans
4. Tamba Hali, Chiefs
5. Bobby Carpenter, Cowboys

*Notice no Mario Williams

Said of Hali: Will have impact that Dwight Freeney had as a rookie.

jspchief
07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
We reached.

ChiefsOne
Crossing fingers.....and toes.

DMAC
Cool, I hope so.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I could see it. His type of college production tends to translate well to the pros.

ct
07-06-2006, 10:33 AM
damn them, damn them to hell

FAX
07-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Hali leuia!

It is well and good that the bush took a beating.

FAX

Inspector
07-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Talk.

I'm waiting for the visual.

Cochise
07-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Mother f*** YOU ESPN!!!

StcChief
07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Wasn't DJ on the top in 2005 too.

They guys need something real to do.

JimNasium
07-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Said of Hali: Will have impact that Dwight Freeney had as a rookie.
He was quoting Herm. Drink deeply.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 10:57 AM
He was quoting Herm. Drink deeply.

We can relax...sort of.

MOhillbilly
07-06-2006, 11:00 AM
ESPN=kiss of death

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Wasn't DJ on the top in 2005 too.

They guys need something real to do.

DJ WAS near the top in 2005.

He finished the season with 95 tackles and was overshadowed by Merriman, Tatupu, and Thurman because they were part of MUCH better defenses.

StcChief
07-06-2006, 11:04 AM
DJ WAS near the top in 2005.

He finished the season with 95 tackles and was overshadowed by Merriman, Tatupu, and Thurman because they were part of MUCH better defenses.

Yeah he was but all thought he'd be DROY. good season for sure.

I don't think Tamba will let this go to his head, but why fuel these predictors.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Yeah he was but all thought he'd be DROY. good season for sure.

I don't think Tamba will let this go to his head, but why fuel these predictors.

Well, Tamba's chances depend more on the team than they do on him.

If he has a Jared Allen-like season but the team moves into the top 10 and wins a few games, expect to se Hali on every list out there.

FringeNC
07-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I wonder if football will go through the same debate as baseball...

Before Billy Beane at Oakland, the conventional wisdom is that you go for a toolsy guy that you can teach how to play baseball. Beane changed that by going after guys that actually produced in college, and didn't care if they were the best athletes/

It seems the same thing may happen in football. It seems most of the NFL is concerned with combine numbers rather than college production. The one outlier may be Bill Belichick. From what I understand, New England pays less attention to combine numbers than do most/all other teams.

The Chiefs seem to have gone away from the combine numbers and towards the Beane/Belichick thinking this draft.

CupidStunt
07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
The best defensive rookies last year were either reaches or "hustle players with not enough talent". Or both.

noa
07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
He's the next Dwight Freeney and Simeon Rice combined.

StcChief
07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Well, Tamba's chances depend more on the team than they do on him.

If he has a Jared Allen-like season but the team moves into the top 10 and wins a few games, expect to se Hali on every list out there.
Agree
Allen's push RDE
DTs huge influence holding pushing in middle.

LB threat / blitz
CB coverage

All play into Tamba ability, and will get him noticed as well as Whole D improvement15th or better should do it

:thumb:

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
The best defensive rookies last year were either reaches or "hustle players with not enough talent". Or both.

Odell Thurman was probably the front runner most of the season and he fell to the 2nd round because there were concerns he wasn't the right combination of big enough/fast enough. Same for Lofa Tatupu, who ended the season as the leading tackler amongst rookies.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Hali hasn't had nearly as much hype as DJ had about D Rook of the Year. Makes me think he has more a chance. He is also on a better defense this year. I hope.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
He's the next Dwight Freeney and Simeon Rice combined.

Sounds good.

alanm
07-06-2006, 11:49 AM
ESPN=kiss of death
If it had been SI I would have said yes. But espn isn't far behind. Probably IR though. :(

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 11:53 AM

Before Billy Beane at Oakland, the conventional wisdom is that you go for a toolsy guy that you can teach how to play baseball. Beane changed that by going after guys that actually produced in college, and didn't care if they were the best athletes/

It seems the same thing may happen in football. It seems most of the NFL is concerned with combine numbers rather than college production. The one outlier may be Bill Belichick. From what I understand, New England pays less attention to combine numbers than do most/all other teams.

The Chiefs seem to have gone away from the combine numbers and towards the Beane/Belichick thinking this draft.Lets carry this line of thinking a little further. I never heard of Dwayne Wade before the Miami Heat.

There is a lot more than just College production that goes into whether or not someone will succeed at the pro level of sports.

Matt Leinert is my favorite pick to turn out to be a dud in the pros.

The dude would rather stay in college and take ballet, then get the first pro year under his belt. Something tells me his head ain't up for it.

I've been wrong before. Now watch him be the next Montana. lol

FringeNC
07-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Lets carry this line of thinking a little further. I never heard of Dwayne Wade before the Miami Heat.

There is a lot more than just College production that goes into whether or not someone will succeed at the pro level of sports.

I agree. I think football may moved too much in the opposite direction, though. Look at Marty's pick from FSU. Purely a combine pick.

The dude would rather stay in college and take ballet, then get the first pro year under his belt. Something tells me his head ain't up for it. Leinart correctly realized he couldn't get more pussy as a pro than he did as King of LA. Rational thinking, if you ask me.

Coogs
07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Just watched the Penn State/Northwestern game from last night on ESPNU. Based on what I saw, I'm not sure if Hali can beat out Hicks for the starting spot.

sedated
07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Lets carry this line of thinking a little further. I never heard of Dwayne Wade before the Miami Heat.

you must not be much of a college basketball fan, then

DWade took Marquette to the Final Four. (lost to KU, btw)

Marquette had virtually no one (just the Deener kid), and hasn't been sh!t since he left.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM

The dude would rather stay in college and take ballet, then get the first pro year under his belt. Something tells me his head ain't up for it.

I've been wrong before. Now watch him be the next Montana. lol

Um...that's why I said Hali's TYPE of production in college translates well to the NFL.

He's a smart player. He's solid. He's got a great work ethic. And he relied more on skill than raw physical ability in college.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Just watched the Penn State/Northwestern game from last night on ESPNU. Based on what I saw, I'm not sure if Hali can beat out Hicks for the starting spot.

ROFL

Chief Faithful
07-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Um...that's why I said Hali's TYPE of production in college translates well to the NFL.

He's a smart player. He's solid. He's got a great work ethic. And he relied more on skill than raw physical ability in college.

I think the type changes being made on the DLine also fit well with his style of play. I think the point ESPN is trying to make is Hali is the right type player falling into the right type defense at the right time.

Chief Faithful
07-06-2006, 12:28 PM

So are you saying Hali sucks or you suck Hicks?

Spicy McHaggis
07-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Even if Hali doesn't beat out Hicks (who has been nursing an injury this offseason) he should still be a solid contributer this year. In fact barring somebody getting hurt DE could be a strong spot for the defense with Allen, Hali, Hall, Hicks and Wilkerson.

That said, if Carl gets Hali signed in time I see him starting by week 7 at the latest.

sedated
07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_NFL_NFL

this page brought to you by the Dallas Cowboys and the letter "i"

Cave Johnson
07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Odell Thurman was probably the front runner most of the season and he fell to the 2nd round because there were concerns he wasn't the right combination of big enough/fast enough. Same for Lofa Tatupu, who ended the season as the leading tackler amongst rookies.

I'll give you Lofa Tatupu, but Thurman fell because of "character" and perceived lack of intellect to play MLB at the next level. I think.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I'll give you Lofa Tatupu, but Thurman fell because of "character" and perceived lack of intellect to play MLB at the next level. I think.

I still wouldn't have taken either one of those guys over DJ today. Same for Shawn Merriman if he were to have been available. We got the best defender in the draft.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2006, 08:21 PM
How about we sign him first?

ChiefsCountry
07-06-2006, 08:27 PM

The Chiefs seem to have gone away from the combine numbers and towards the Beane/Belichick thinking this draft.

That is what I have said all along.

Coach
07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
How about we sign him first?

An excellent post. Hali can't win or at least on the top 5 for the DROY award from sitting on his couch, eating cheezits.

Halfcan
07-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I have the feeling Bush is going to sign a HUGE contract and then get hurt. Reggie is only one T from Bust. Lendale is going to have trouble with the law and the rest will be benchwarmers. Tamba has the ROY locked up. I see 12 sacks in his first year.

ChiefsCountry
07-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I have the feeling Bush is going to sign a HUGE contract and then get hurt. Reggie is only one T from Bust. Lendale is going to have trouble with the law and the rest will be benchwarmers. Tamba has the ROY locked up. I see 12 sacks in his first year.

Man am I smart or what.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2712427&postcount=40

ricardo4432
07-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Course, Ryan Leaf was also a top choice.. so, being a top choice isn't always a good indicator.. nor does ESPN know any more about him than we do. Until the rubber meets the road it's just all speculation.

However, on the flip side.. is it really that hard to make a BIG impact on our defense? It's a lot easier to make something bad look a lot better.. than something already good look great.

morphius
07-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Heck, at this point I would settle for someone who doesn't look lost out there and has an impact other then hanging out with an OT while counting till 10 mississippi to start his rush.

Halfcan
07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Man am I smart or what.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2712427&postcount=40

Yep Nice One!

BUSH=BUST