PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Lelie to skip mini-camp

Saulbadguy
07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2511047

Still hoping to force a trade before the start of training camp, disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie skipped the Denver Broncos' mandatory minicamp session on Thursday and is expected to boycott the entire three-day event.

Denver is the last team in the NFL to convene a mandatory minicamp before training camp starts.

The absence of Lelie, who is unhappy over his role with the Broncos, the offseason acquisition of wide receiver Javon Walker, and apparently his contract, was expected. The four-year veteran, the subject of trade rumors through much of the offseason, had previously boycotted all 14 of the Broncos' voluntary organized team activities (OTAs) workouts and had publicly reiterated his desire to move on.

Lelie, 26, was a first-round choice in the 2002 draft, the 19th player chosen overall that year, and the former University of Hawaii standout was a full-time starter the past two seasons.

For his career, Lelie has appeared in 64 games and started 40 contests, and has recorded 168 receptions for 3,007 yards and 12 touchdowns. He led the league in average yards per reception each of the last two years, at 20.1 yards in 2004 and 18.3 yards in 2005, among players with more than 40 catches.

But after enjoying a career season in 2004, with 54 catches for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns, Lelie's numbers fell off last year, when he posted 42 receptions for 770 yards and only one touchdown.

A longstrider and deep threat, Lelie has 53 catches for 20 yards or more and 18 receptions of 40-plus yards in his career, but is prone to lapses in concentration and to bouts of inconsistency. Although the Broncos have attempted to deal him during the offseason, they have found no one willing to meet their asking price.

The Broncos already have 11-year veteran Rod Smith on hand and Walker, who is rehabilitating from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, is expected to be completely recovered for the beginning of camp, and projected as the other starter. That leaves Lelie as the No. 3 wideout at best and the Broncos have a number of younger players they feel can fill that role.

Lelie is entering the final year of his original rookie contract and is due a base salary of $600,000. Because he is under contract, he can be fined for missing the mandatory minicamp. If Lelie follows through on his threat to sit out training camp, which begins July 28, he will also be subject to daily fines for those absences. There is a possibility the Broncos could attempt to recover a prorated share of the $3.3 million signing bonus that Lelie received in 2002.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't blame him. The mullets and camaros can drive a man crazy.

pr_capone
07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
I honestly would not mind having Lelie come in as the heir to the #1 slot after Kennison gets too old and has to slide down to the 2 or 3 spot.

He is still very young and has alot of talent.

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 01:01 PM
He should go on a hunger strike.

jspchief
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I honestly would not mind having Lelie come in as the heir to the #1 slot after Kennison gets too old and has to slide down to the 2 or 3 spot.

He is still very young and has alot of talent.Ugghh. No thanks.

After three years of mostly under-achieving play, he demands a raise and expects to be handed a starting spot in front of either Javon Walker or Rod Smith? Sounds like he has a pretty inflated opinion of himself.

Besides, we don't need a guy to drop the deep balls.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 01:04 PM

We already got Rich Scanlon for that!

HemiEd
07-06-2006, 01:12 PM
I find satisfaction in Bronco problems.

ck_IN
07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
<i>We already got Rich Scanlon for that!</i>

So you're saying Rich is good at handling balls?

StcChief
07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Lelie will be gone but this kinda stuff sends you to the bowels of the NFL. The 'aints, Faiders, Bills,

or a deal for a couple draft picks. They could Franchise tag you this year...

pr_capone
07-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Ugghh. No thanks.

After three years of mostly under-achieving play, he demands a raise and expects to be handed a starting spot in front of either Javon Walker or Rod Smith? Sounds like he has a pretty inflated opinion of himself.

Joiner could teach him how to properly haul in a ball. I see Joiner almost being the Leo Mazzone (Braves ex-pitching coach known for bringing in people who were mediocre and making them good/great) of WR's.

Not only that, but we saw a flash of what he is capable of in 04. Given a proper opportunity where he can see a light at the end of the tunnel (read : #1 spot)... I think he could really shine.

pr_capone
07-06-2006, 01:18 PM
<i>We already got Rich Scanlon for that!</i>

Two at a time buddy! ROFL

jspchief
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Joiner could teach him how to properly haul in a ball. I see Joiner almost being the Leo Mazzone (Braves ex-pitching coach known for bringing in people who were mediocre and making them good/great) of WR's.

Not only that, but we saw a flash of what he is capable of in 04. Given a proper opportunity where he can see a light at the end of the tunnel (read : #1 spot)... I think he could really shine.I'm not as high on Joiner as some of you guys are, so I'll just disagree on that part of your post.

More to the point, I don't think he's a true #1 type of WR. I also don't think he fits our current scheme.

He's just not a guy I'd want to give draft picks for.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-06-2006, 01:21 PM

I have no idea. Its just my assumption. :hmmm:

pr_capone
07-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm not as high on Joiner as some of you guys are, so I'll just disagree on that part of your post.

More to the point, I don't think he's a true #1 type of WR. I also don't think he fits our current scheme.

He's just not a guy I'd want to give draft picks for.

I can understand that. We prolly wont wind up with him anyways so this conversation is prolly pointless. lol

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
We already got Rich Scanlon for that!

Rich Scanlon invented balls.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Lelie should retire.

If the Chiefs even sniff in his direction, they're ****ing stupid.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank the Lord of the Donkeys.

Rooster
07-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I find satisfaction in Bronco problems.

I really enjoy it too. :)

Lurch
07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Lelie should retire.

If the Chiefs even sniff in his direction, they're ****ing stupid.

LOL

Kind of like Eddie Kennison, eh? :)

RickObie
07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Donks won't trade him to a division rival unless they overpay!

jspchief
07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
LOL

Kind of like Eddie Kennison, eh? :)Notable disparity in price tag between the two.

Lurch
07-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Notable disparity in price tag between the two.

Age disparity too.

I'm just sayin...

Count Zarth
BUST

Lurch
BUST

A nut, did you?

ck_IN
07-06-2006, 02:47 PM
<i>Rich Scanlon invented balls.</i>

I bet they were big brassy ones!

ck_IN
07-06-2006, 02:48 PM
<i>A nut, did you?</i>

It's that picture of Princess Leia I tell ya. Those buns on either side of her head are just too much for GoChiefs.

chop
07-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Ugghh. No thanks.

If you go back and look at most receivers stats you will find that receivers usually do not do much until the third year. There are some exceptions but the majority do not become "go to guys" until the the third year. Maybe Lelie is a 4th year kind of guy or maybe he's just an ordinary receiver that doesn't do much in the NFL. If he is going to turn the corner, it would have to be this year.

Speaking of receivers, I was just reading an atricle that stated Mike Martz did not care for Rogers or M. Williams. Corey Bradford is the #2 receiver behind Roy Williams right now. We'll see if that changes.

jspchief
07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
If you go back and look at most receivers stats you will find that receivers usually do not do much until the third year. There are some exceptions but the majority do not become "go to guys" until the the third year. Maybe Lelie is a 4th year kind of guy or maybe he's just an ordinary receiver that doesn't do much in the NFL. If he is going to turn the corner, it would have to be this year.
The problem is, he's demanding a pay raise, and expects to be higher on the depth chart than a couple WRs that are clearly better. Someone needs to clue him in that he hasn't turned any corners yet.

pr_capone
07-06-2006, 02:53 PM
BUST

I agree with you most of the time but I find it hard to call a 1st round draft pick only 3 years in a bust quite yet.

I will agree that he has not emerged to be the go-to guy in Denver... but also look at whom he had in front of him in the 1 slot.

On a different team that is needing a wide-out... possibly of the future, they could do much worse that Lelie.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 02:53 PM
LOL

Kind of like Eddie Kennison, eh? :)

Not really.

Kennison doesn't have hands of stone, nor did he cost a draft pick in a trade.

htismaqe
07-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I agree with you most of the time but I find it hard to call a 1st round draft pick only 3 years in a bust quite yet.

I will agree that he has not emerged to be the go-to guy in Denver... but also look at whom he had in front of him in the 1 slot.

On a different team that is needing a wide-out... possibly of the future, they could do much worse that Lelie.

He DID emerge in his 3rd year, going over 1000 yards and grabbing 7 TDs (almost twice what he got in his 1st two years combined).

He followed that up with last year, his worst season as a pro.

ck_IN
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't call him a bust. He's a decent 2nd or 3rd WR. On a team with a spread O he could easily pull in 1k yrds with a dozen or so TD's. Of course he'll have dropped at least half that many TD's and yards as well. He's a one deminsional speed guy with iffy hands. No more, no less.

58-4ever
07-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't call him a bust. He's a decent 2nd or 3rd WR. On a team with a spread O he could easily pull in 1k yrds with a dozen or so TD's. Of course he'll have dropped at least half that many TD's and yards as well. He's a one deminsional speed guy with iffy hands. No more, no less.

Lelie couldn't score 12 touchdowns in a pee-wee league.

pr_capone
07-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I've been looking but with no success something that shows the # of dropped passes vs. thrown to and the equaling percentage.

I would like to compare his #s with other wideouts in the league.

chop
07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree with you most of the time, because you are my hero, but I find it hard to call a 1st round draft pick only 3 years in a bust quite yet. Have I told you (GoChiefs) that you are the wind beneath my wings.

Talk about your GoChiefs groupie.
:shake:

pr_capone
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Talk about your GoChiefs groupie.
:shake:
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Nice

Bastard

chop
07-06-2006, 03:06 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Nice

Bastard

:p :D

vailpass
07-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Lelie thinks that because he led the league in deep catches the last two years he is now a #1 WR.
Bullsh*t. Ash is a good #3 WR; the deep threat that you can go to for abig play when he can get a DB 1-on-1 and burn him in a race.

Lelie has yet to get the hang of route running, especially in traffic despite the tutelage of Rod Smith.
He is holding out because he feels he can't win a #1 Wr spot with Smith and Walker on the field. (if Walker is healthy Lelie is quite correct in thinking this).

I'm sorry to say that IMHO this makes Lelie a quitter and a pussy. This is the kind of behavior that follows you wherever you go.
Instead of sacking up and going balls-out in camp to earn a spot Lelie pouts in the corner, wanting it handed to him.

See ya' Ash, get on e-bay and see if you can buy a heart and set of balls.

sedated
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM
no hands
no work ethic
no thanks

Coach
07-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Lelie has no levrage at all. If he want a new contract, then he needs to actually produce. Sitting out of camp isn't a good way to start. What a dipshit. :shake:

noa
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
I've been looking but with no success something that shows the # of dropped passes vs. thrown to and the equaling percentage.

I would like to compare his #s with other wideouts in the league.

I've seen that statistic before, but I can't find it right now either. Its not really that reliable, because it ultimately comes down to the statistician judging whether or not a pass was "catchable," which is rather subjective. I always liked the old idea that if you could get your hands on the ball, you should catch it, but that isn't how the statistic is measured.

pr_capone
07-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I've seen that statistic before, but I can't find it right now either. Its not really that reliable, because it ultimately comes down to the statistician judging whether or not a pass was "catchable," which is rather subjective. I always liked the old idea that if you could get your hands on the ball, you should catch it, but that isn't how the statistic is measured.

Its better than nothing tho. I really didnt watch any of the Donx games with the exception of the 2 required games per year. I really do not know if his hands are as bad as people say... or if people just made such a big deal about some dropped passes that it has just exploded to what it is now.

the Talking Can
07-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Lelie could be an excellent #2 WR....if he weren't a total ****ing pussy

jspchief
07-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Its better than nothing tho. I really didnt watch any of the Donx games with the exception of the 2 required games per year. I really do not know if his hands are as bad as people say... or if people just made such a big deal about some dropped passes that it has just exploded to what it is now.His hands are inconsistent. He seems to have lapses in concentration that lead to dropping easy balls (maybe eyes in the back of his head?). He also rarely makes a tough catch. I remember seeing a lot of balls slip through his fingers.

Definately not the hands of a #1 WR.

listopencil
07-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Lelie could be an excellent #2 WR....if he weren't a total ****ing pussy

I was going to post the exact same thing. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt his entire Bronco career. His third year he seemed to break out just as he should have. He regressed last year and has now turned into a whiny bitch that I don't want on my team. The thread title should have read "Lelie Seen Skipping At Training Camp" and then continued about how he was dancing around in a skirt while the men were practicing tackle football.

the Talking Can
07-06-2006, 10:47 PM
The thread title should have read "Lelie Seen Skipping At Training Camp"...

well played

listopencil
07-06-2006, 10:57 PM
well played

I can't take credit for the pink font idea. Several of the posters on OrangeMane are doing it and I think it fits so I copied them.

listopencil
07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Here's a good one I just saw over there. This should give you an idea of what most of us think of him right about now:

Iowanian
07-07-2006, 08:21 AM
It'd be a damn shame if Lelie's whining caused some inflamation in Walker's knee all year.

Ashley Nash sucks. #3 as a deep threat is exactly where sHe needs to be on the depth chart, wherever sHe plays.