PDA

View Full Version : FBI disrupts New York City tunnel plot

ROYC75
07-07-2006, 07:10 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060707/ap_on_re_us/new_york_tunnels_plot

By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer 25 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Authorities have disrupted planning by foreign terrorists for an attack on New York City tunnels, two law enforcement officials said Friday.

FBI agents monitoring Internet chat rooms used by extremists learned in recent months of the plot to strike a blow at the city's economy by destroying vital transportation networks, one official said.

Lebanese authorities, acting on a U.S. request, have arrested one of the alleged plotters, identified as Amir Andalousli, the other official said. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is still under way.

Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., said, "This is one instance where intelligence was on top of its game and discovered the plot when it was just in the talking phase."

The planning for the tunnel attacks was first reported by the New York Daily News in its Friday editions, the first anniversary of the attacks on the London transportation system that killed 52 people.

It was unclear how far along the planning was.

"At this time we have no indication of any imminent threat to the New York transportation system, or anywhere else in the U.S.," Richard Kolko, Washington-based FBI special agent, said in a statement to Associated Press Radio.

Rep. Peter King (news, bio, voting record), R-N.Y., said that federal law enforcement and New York police have been monitoring a plot to attack New York's mass transit system for at least eight months.

"There was nothing imminent, but it was being monitored for long period time," said King, who said he has received regular intelligence briefings on the alleged plot as chairman of the House
Homeland Security Committee.

King said he had been unable to publicly disclose the plot because to do so would risk the investigation.

"This is ongoing, that's why I've said nothing about it until now," King said. "It would have been better if this had not been disclosed."

The Daily News reported that the plotters wanted to blow up the Holland Tunnel, the southernmost link between Manhattan and New Jersey, in the hopes of flooding New York's financial district. The desired effect would be akin to the flooding that ravaged New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the newspaper said.

A government official with knowledge of the investigation said while the alleged plot did focus on New York's transportation system, it did not target the Holland Tunnel. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the case is ongoing, would give no further details about the intended targets.

It's unlikely that any plan to flood the financial district would work because it is above the level of the Hudson River.

DaKCMan AP
07-07-2006, 07:41 AM
They should have let it happen so Americans would be reminded what the hell is really going on...

:shake:

DaKCMan AP
07-07-2006, 07:46 AM
no your wrong... Americans have lost their will to fight to the war on terrorism... they need to be reminded that everyday people wake up around the world spending their entire day planning how to kill Americans.

Americans have become frustrated that we aren't fighting the war on terror. Iraq is NOT the war on terror.

The fact that you want to see Americans killed and property destroyed is disgusting.

Cochise
07-07-2006, 07:48 AM
They should have let it happen so Americans would be reminded what the hell is really going on...

seek help

Rain Man
07-07-2006, 07:48 AM

Or an even better plan would be to stop it before it happens.

DaKCMan AP
07-07-2006, 07:51 AM
gee, I forgot, Saddam was a nice guy.

If we're going after people who aren't nice then why aren't we in North Korea or Iran.

Mean/dictators do not equal terrorists.

I can't seem to remember, how long ago did we capture Bin Laden, an actual terrorist?

Iowanian
07-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Go to timeout Rex...The Grownups are talking.

please stop telling people you're from Iowa.

no your wrong... Americans have lost their will to fight to the war on terrorism... they need to be reminded that everyday people wake up around the world spending their entire day planning how to kill Americans.

I don't buy for a minute that a terror plot was foiled.....its been widely said that the govt is doing nothing to protect Americans.[/ ]

ROYC75
07-07-2006, 07:53 AM

Let me guess here, not enuff Amerricans died in the 911 attack, you need to see more ?

Who are you, where are you from ?

JimNasium
07-07-2006, 07:55 AM

ROYC75
07-07-2006, 07:56 AM
That is not what I'm saying..... Americans have completely forgotten 9/11, they forgot how pissed they were at terrorists, how to be united

Not I, I think about that shit all the time. I still have family in the military. Family in NYC.

JimNasium
07-07-2006, 08:07 AM
That is not what I'm saying..... Americans have completely forgotten 9/11, they forgot how pissed they were at terrorists, how to be unitedAre you always prone to such broad generalizations and such myopic opinions?

Demonpenz
07-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Don't worry whenever it takes 40 minutes to board a plane or i hear how it's legal for cops to come into your home for whatever reason.Or a helicopter goes down in iraq. We get reminded it's all because of 9/11.

oaklandhater
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
That is not what I'm saying..... Americans have completely forgotten 9/11, they forgot how pissed they were at terrorists, how to be united

You should thank G.W. Bush for that :)

DaFace
07-07-2006, 08:28 AM

Good lord, you're twisted. Are you really so sure of yourself that you would wish that innocent people die to further your cause?

Let's reverse the situation here. Say we discover a massive plot that would likely result in the death of 3000 American troops in Iraq - in one day. (I know that nearly 3000 have already been killed, but that's not really the point here.) There would be an American outcry and we'd probably have a majority of people saying that we should pull out and leave Iraq to fend for itself. I'm mostly anti-war. So how would you feel if I say that "They should let it happen so that Americans would be shown what the hell is really going on."

I hope that something like this happens someday so that you will be forced to cope with the fact that you essentially wished for the death of innocents. Except I don't really mean that. You do, and that's frightening.

Braincase
07-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Maybe rexcjake would be happy if terrorists would bomb a U.S.-based Toyota assembly plant employed by a bunch of UAW members that vote Democratic?

Amnorix
07-07-2006, 08:34 AM

Wow. You're so far beyond being an ignorant jackass it's really indescribable.

jidar
07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Oh man I hit the jackpot!

I was just sitting here thinking to myself, "Gee I'd sure like to know who the dumbest mother****er on the Internet is." and I stumble into this thread and get to read recxjake. It's like angels heard my plea and sent down the holy trinity of dumbassery to grant my wish.

DaKCMan AP
07-07-2006, 08:40 AM

I was just sitting here thinking to myself, "Gee I'd sure like to know who the dumbest mother****er on the Internet is." and I stumble into this thread and get to read recxjake. It's like angels heard my plea and sent down the holy trinity of dumbassery to grant my wish.

Quick, before your luck runs out...what will be the winning lotto numbers?

FAX
07-07-2006, 08:45 AM
i do not wish the death of innocent americans.... all i meant was that americans need to wake up

It does appear that some citizens have forgotten 9/11, Mr. recxjake.

But, you can't wake up dead friends and neighbors.

FAX

oaklandhater
07-07-2006, 08:46 AM
i do not wish the death of innocent americans.... all i meant was that americans need to wake up

Funny all the americans that you think need to wake up think the same thing about you.

Dartgod
07-07-2006, 08:56 AM

Amnorix
07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
The Daily News reported that the plotters wanted to blow up the Holland Tunnel, the southernmost link between Manhattan and New Jersey, in the hopes of flooding New York's financial district. The desired effect would be akin to the flooding that ravaged New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the newspaper said.

Sorry, your backpedaling is a bit late.

Cochise
07-07-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm opposed to abortion, recxjake, but you make a good case.

Baby Lee
07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
whenever . . . i hear how it's legal for cops to come into your home for whatever reason . . . because of 9/11.
Missed that bulletin. Care to elucidate?

Baby Lee
07-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I am truly humbled by your ability to outstupid all the other stellar 'tards we have around here.

Logical
07-07-2006, 09:32 AM

I cannot imagine a more immature thing you could have possibly said. Disgusting

Baby Lee
07-07-2006, 09:33 AM

The Father [who's about to lose his job]
The Son [who's a net-tard]
and the Holy Shit [did he really just say that?]

ROFL ROFL

DaKCMan AP
07-07-2006, 09:34 AM
The Father [who's about to lose his job]
The Son [who's a net-tard]
and the Holy Shit [did he really just say that?]

ROFL ROFL

ROFL

Cochise
07-07-2006, 09:35 AM

Demonpenz
07-07-2006, 09:46 AM

remember they don't have to knock thread?

Donger
07-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Exactly. Just like they let 9/11 happen. They even took part in the demolition of the WTC.

I know, cuz I've got a bitchin' video.

Baby Lee
07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
remember they don't have to knock thread?
1. They still had to have a warrant.
2. To my knowledge, no one made a 'because of 9/11' plea in that case.

So far as I can tell, that knocks every leg out from under your statement.

Demonpenz
07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
1. They still had to have a warrant.
2. To my knowledge, no one made a 'because of 9/11' plea in that case.

So far as I can tell, that knocks every leg out from under your statement.

It was a joke dude. Somewhere phobia is laughing.

DaneMcCloud
07-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Don't worry whenever it takes 40 minutes to board a plane or i hear how it's legal for cops to come into your home for whatever reason.Or a helicopter goes down in iraq. We get reminded it's all because of 9/11.

40 minutes? That's a breeze! At LAX, it's 60 minutes for Domestic and 2 HOURS for International! We also have to remove our shoes, even if we're wearing flip-flops! And you know what? I could care less! I'm so happy that there is security in place and even though people have been known to slip through with banned items, I'm all for increased security when flying. It certainly makes the flight (as much as a flight can be) much more enjoyable.

I don't know where you live but in Los Angeles, it seems like a quarter of the population is from New York City. Add in the bi-coastal travelers we're pretty much dealing with New Yorkers on a daily basis. Add to the number of families that are connected to NYC and I can absolutely guarantee you, no one has forgotten about 9/11, especially those who lived through that event. Even though 3,000 people lost their lives that day, another 8 million lived through the horror of seeing the towers fall firsthand and wondering "What's next?".

The only thing that should be forgotten is that you started this embarrassingly immature thread.

SPchief
07-07-2006, 10:13 AM
The only thing that should be forgotten is that you started this embarrassingly immature thread.

Technically he didn't start this thread. He just made his usual dumbass coment that escalated the thread.

Baby Lee
07-07-2006, 10:15 AM
It was a joke dude. Somewhere phobia is laughing.
Anyone have some new AAs for my sarcasmeter? :p - [ps, one of those to the left would've helped] ;)

jAZ
07-07-2006, 10:18 AM
We would be going after N. Korea and Iran if (it weren't for being bogged down in an unwise Iraq war)
Good point...

Demonpenz
07-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Anyone have some new AAs for my sarcasmeter? :p - [ps, one of those to the left would've helped] ;)

I know man sorry about that. I figured it was so stupid no one would respond. I almost was going to say they took away my pit bull because of 9/11 but i feared big daddy would send someone over to throw me off the roof.

58-4ever
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
If only we could stuff the tunnel full of Recxjakes and blow it up. That way we could rid the world of a portion of its dipshits AND test the tunnel's structure in one blast.

Cochise
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
40 minutes? That's a breeze! At LAX, it's 60 minutes for Domestic and 2 HOURS for International! We also have to remove our shoes, even if we're wearing flip-flops!

The last time I flew (about a year ago at KCI and CLT) it was not bad at all. Maybe it is just LAX.

I had to take off my shoes and get run over with the wand in both places. Then they ran this other wand through the inside of my bag. They pulled my laptop out of its bag and examined it briefly.

But after that I was finished. From me getting into the line to being finished and waiting at the gate was like... 10-15 minutes max. One of the benefits of a midwestern city I guess.