PDA

View Full Version : Ooops: Rumsfeld on video... "shot down the plane over Pennsylvania"

jAZ
07-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Heh.

<EMBED SRC="http://media.spikedhumor.com/70554A4C-D7AB-44E7-AB71-09BAEBD1FEAD/38718/Donald.wmv" autostart=false>

jAZ
07-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Looks like it's old, but amusing none-the-less.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/27/rumsfeld.flt93/

Pentagon: Rumsfeld misspoke on Flight 93 crash
Defense secretary's remark to troops fuels conspiracy theories
From Jamie McIntyre
CNN Washington

Monday, December 27, 2004 Posted: 9:54 PM EST (0254 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A comment Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld made during a Christmas Eve address to U.S. troops in Baghdad has sparked new conspiracy theories about the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

In the speech, Rumsfeld made a passing reference to United Airlines Flight 93, which crashed in Pennsylvania after passengers attempted to stop al Qaeda hijackers.

But in his remarks, Rumsfeld referred to the "the people who attacked the United States in New York, shot down the plane over Pennsylvania."

A Pentagon spokesman insisted that Rumsfeld simply misspoke, but Internet conspiracy theorists seized on the reference to the plane having been shot down.

"Was it a slip of the tongue? Was it an error? Or was it the truth, finally being dropped on the public more than three years after the tragedy" asked a posting on the Web site WorldNetDaily.com.

Some people remain skeptical of U.S. government statements that, despite a presidential authorization, no planes were shot down September 11, and rumors still circulate that a U.S. military plane shot the airliner down over Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

A Pentagon spokesman insists Rumsfeld has not changed his opinion that the plane crashed as the result of an onboard struggle between passengers and terrorists.

The independent panel charged with investigating the terrorist attacks concluded that the hijackers intentionally crashed Flight 93, apparently because they feared the passengers would overwhelm them.

Fishpicker
07-08-2006, 01:58 AM
that's truly stranger than fiction. Rumsfeld's conscience took over for a second. He wants to be caught.

it is really strange that this has never been reported in the mainstream. a subconscious blunder like this is huge.

mlyonsd
07-08-2006, 08:02 AM
It would be really cool if you could somehow tie into the story that Bush would have been the pilot that shot Flight 93 down in his F-102 but instead was ironically AWOL that day.

memyselfI
07-08-2006, 08:26 AM
http://translab.burundi.sk/noise/freud.jpg

Adept Havelock
07-08-2006, 11:11 AM
It would be really cool if you could somehow tie into the story that Bush would have been the pilot that shot Flight 93 down in his F-102 but instead was ironically AWOL that day.
ROFL ROFL

It wouldn't surprise me either way, if it was crashed by people trying to retake it, or if it had been shot down. If the former, a brave move indeed. If the latter, what possible alternative was their that day? Get on the radio and ask the hijackers to "Pretty-please with sugar on it would you just land the plane and let the passengers off?" Send Steven Segal and Kurt Russell to board it in mid-air? I think not. :shrug:

If it was shot down I do think the govt. should own up to it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm pretty sure most Americans would see it as I do, a damn shame, but with little to no alternative.

patteeu
07-08-2006, 12:13 PM
ROFL ROFL

It wouldn't surprise me either way, if it was crashed by people trying to retake it, or if it had been shot down. If the former, a brave move indeed. If the latter, what possible alternative was their that day? Get on the radio and ask the hijackers to "Pretty-please with sugar on it would you just land the plane and let the passengers off?" Send Steven Segal and Kurt Russell to board it in mid-air? I think not. :shrug:

If it was shot down I do think the govt. should own up to it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm pretty sure most Americans would see it as I do, a damn shame, but with little to no alternative.

Most would probably see it as you do, but I'm afraid there would be quite a few who would call it a "crime against humanity" or find some other way to accuse Bush or Cheney of murder. And then there would be jAZ who would call it a "crime against humanity?"

banyon
07-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Is the video supposed to do anything besides play the "spiked Humor Intro"?

jspchief
07-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Even if the government did shoot it down, I'm glad they lied and made heroes out of a few of the victims on that terrible day.

jAZ
07-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Even if the government did shoot it down, I'm glad they lied and made heroes out of a few of the victims on that terrible day.
I suspect that 20 years from now, we are going to find out that it was actually shot down. I wouldn't be shocked at all.

And if that is the case, I will never understand the need to keep it secret. It's not like anyone would blame them for doing so.

jAZ
07-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Is the video supposed to do anything besides play the "spiked Humor Intro"?
Yes... that's strange.

jAZ
07-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Most would probably see it as you do, but I'm afraid there would be quite a few who would call it a "crime against humanity" or find some other way to accuse Bush or Cheney of murder. And then there would be jAZ who would call it a "crime against humanity?"
You have really lost touch with reality pat.

patteeu
07-08-2006, 02:35 PM
You have really lost touch with reality pat.

Maybe so, but I think I've got your number.

Pitt Gorilla
07-08-2006, 02:38 PM
I suspect that 20 years from now, we are going to find out that it was actually shot down. I wouldn't be shocked at all.

And if that is the case, I will never understand the need to keep it secret. It's not like anyone would blame them for doing so.I think that is probably the case. I think most everyone would respect the decision to shoot it down.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
It's not like anyone would blame them for doing so.Unfortunately, I'm not so sure that's true. In today's political environment, if it can be criticized, it will be.

stevieray
07-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Wow, now we are at accusing the Government of foul play involving the Pentagon, WTC, and flight 93.

Amazing.

Nightwish
07-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Wow, now we are at accusing the Government of foul play involving the Pentagon, WTC, and flight 93.

Amazing.
Such ideas have been floating around for months concerning all three. You're just now becoming aware of it?

Rausch
07-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I think that is probably the case. I think most everyone would respect the decision to shoot it down.

Mark me down as one who thought that as soon as the news broke.

Sure we had to, but I can also respect the white lie that allows the family to believe their loved ones are heroes.

jAZ
07-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not so sure that's true. In today's political environment, if it can be criticized, it will be.
I think those who would criticize the action would be limited to those who simultaneously think that Bush actually ordered the CIA to fake fly jets into the WTC. Those same folks would then (given their beliefs) need to blame the administration for shooting down a plane full of people too.

But the other 95% of the population wouldn't blink an eye.

jAZ
07-08-2006, 05:01 PM

Amazing.
On this thread you are the only one trying to stir up talk about "foul play".

Pitt Gorilla
07-08-2006, 05:09 PM

Amazing.You seem to be the only one on here who thinks shooting down the aircraft would constitute "foul play."

Moooo
07-08-2006, 05:38 PM
http://translab.burundi.sk/noise/freud.jpg

Who is that?

Moooo

WilliamTheIrish
07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Who is that?

Moooo

Think 'slip'.

Moooo
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Think 'slip'.

That's what I thought. I've seen quite a few pictures of him, but never with hair like that.

Moooo, who believe it or not is a psych major.

listopencil
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
When the whole 9/11 tragedy happened I was stunned. I feel like I just sat in front of my TV and cried for three days. The only things that snapped me out of it were 1) Seeing people getting to work on cleaning up the mess and 2) Hearing the story about heroism on the PA flight. Those were two positives that I absolutely needed, to feel like a living person again. Is #2 a lie? I don't know. But I'm not going to bitch about it if it is. That would be incredibly hypocritical of me.

Go watch the video in this thread and think about it for a while. Be honest with yourself.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=143096

Nightwish
07-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Moooo, who believe it or not is a psych major.So was I, and I still wasn't quite sure if it was ol' Siggy or not. I thought it was, though, but since I didn't know what his relevance to this thread would be, unless she meant that Rumsfeld's comment was a Freudian slip, I wasn't sure.

mlyonsd
07-09-2006, 09:21 AM
ROFL ROFL

My gut feeling is if it was shot down there would be pieces scattered over a larger area. I could be wrong but I can only remember one big giant hole.

But, if it was shot down I don't want to know about it and can't think of one good reason to make that fact known.

stevieray
07-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Such ideas have been floating around for months concerning all three. You're just now becoming aware of it?

That's right, I forgot about the "landing" in Ohio.

stevieray
07-09-2006, 09:42 AM
My gut feeling is if it was shot down there would be pieces scattered over a larger area. I could be wrong but I can only remember one big giant hole.

But, if it was shot down I don't want to know about it and can't think of one good reason to make that fact known.

The government lying to create martyrs sounds like something alqueda would do.

I can't think of one good reason to lie about it.

patteeu
07-09-2006, 09:50 AM
If it was shot down, it shouldn't have been kept secret, IMO. I think the majority of Americans would have supported it, given the situation, but I think the minority that would have used it as a weapon against the Bush administration for political reasons would have been disappointingly large.

My top suspects for this disappointing minority are those who jump to the conclusion that American soldiers are guilty of heinous crimes before the facts are all in instead of recognizing that those GI's are involved in some pretty chaotic business and they don't always have a time for cool reflection.

htismaqe
07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Um, we hashed this out when it first came out.

Rumsfeld CLEARLY said "the people who attacked the United States in New York, shot down the plane over Pennsylvania."

That sentence has an implied subject in it's second half -- the same people who attacked New York ALSO shot down the plane.

There is NOTHING in his statement, whether it was an accidental mention or not, that implicates anyone other than the terrorists.

FringeNC
07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
While on the topic of government conspiracies, saw this:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=125&topic_id=56836&mesg_id=56836

on a blog a couple days ago. It is just too funny. Some dude out the Democratic Underground "proves" that the Towers weren't brought down by jet fuel. Scroll down and look at this pictures. And you can't laugh.

Nightwish
07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Um, we hashed this out when it first came out.

Rumsfeld CLEARLY said "the people who attacked the United States in New York, shot down the plane over Pennsylvania."

That sentence has an implied subject in it's second half -- the same people who attacked New York ALSO shot down the plane.

There is NOTHING in his statement, whether it was an accidental mention or not, that implicates anyone other than the terrorists.So now the terrorists not only hijacked the airplane, but they also had their own warplanes flying about the area? Or did they have an anti-aircraft missile battery stashed somewhere in a Pennsylvania field? :hmmm:

Honestly, I think he just let a moment of nerves get to him and chose the wrong word. I think he probably meant to say "brought down the plane," rather than "shot down." When you're in front of the camera, in an emotional state, it's easy enough to make that kind of simple error. Not that I like Rumsfeld in the least, I think he's a complete scumbag. But I don't think he was implying anything other than what we already thought about Flight 93.

Bootlegged
07-10-2006, 01:30 PM
While on the topic of government conspiracies, saw this:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=125&topic_id=56836&mesg_id=56836

on a blog a couple days ago. It is just too funny. Some dude out the Democratic Underground "proves" that the Towers weren't brought down by jet fuel. Scroll down and look at this pictures. And you can't laugh.

That guy, ladies and gentleman, was Taco John.

go bowe
07-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Most would probably see it as you do, but I'm afraid there would be quite a few who would call it a "crime against humanity" or find some other way to accuse Bush or Cheney of murder. And then there would be jAZ who would call it a "crime against humanity?"no no no, it's treason...

impeach/castrate/hang the ****ers...

oh wait...

htismaqe
07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
So now the terrorists not only hijacked the airplane, but they also had their own warplanes flying about the area? Or did they have an anti-aircraft missile battery stashed somewhere in a Pennsylvania field? :hmmm:

Honestly, I think he just let a moment of nerves get to him and chose the wrong word. I think he probably meant to say "brought down the plane," rather than "shot down." When you're in front of the camera, in an emotional state, it's easy enough to make that kind of simple error. Not that I like Rumsfeld in the least, I think he's a complete scumbag. But I don't think he was implying anything other than what we already thought about Flight 93.

Of course, I'm not saying anything remotely like that.

All I'm saying is that, even if he MEANT to say it VERBATIM, he did not say the US government shot down that plane, he said the terrorists did.

Nightwish
07-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Of course, I'm not saying anything remotely like that.

I know. I was just messing with you.