PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 600m keyboard problem - arrow keys

Count Zarth
07-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Trying to fix my friend's PC. Her down arrow key on her laptop seems to be faulty. It works spottily at best it seems. At first I thought it was a software error, but I reformatted. It appears to be hardware, I guess.

Also, I'm trying to reinstall the wireless drivers.

I've downloaded the official drivers from Dell's site, but it's asking me to turn on the wireless card before it installs them.

I flashed the bios as I saw recommended at another site. Went in and looked around and none of the settings I changed (they were all related to wireless) made a difference. I still can't turn the damn thing on!!!

It's a Dell Inspiron 600m.

DaFace
07-08-2006, 08:09 AM
The down arrow thing will likely take a keyboard replacement. They're pretty simple to replace and can typically be found on eBay for $20 or so.

As for the wireless, Dells sometimes have either a switch on the outside or a hotkey to turn the wireless on and off. The hotkey is something like Fn-F5 (whichever F-key has a blue radio tower lookin thing on it). You might give that a try.

morphius
07-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Intermitten keys are rarely a software issue, normally means there is something wrong with the keyboard. I had to have my Dell's laptop keyboard replaced because it was a giant piece of crap, some keys stuck, etc. Not that this is normal of dell, just me bitching.

You may want to see if something has got stuck under the key as well.

Count Zarth
07-08-2006, 08:43 AM
I've fixed the wireless issue. Let the thread drop.

Donger
07-08-2006, 09:36 AM
You have a friend? And she's female?