PDA

View Full Version : Dell refurbished - scratch and dent

the Talking Can
07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Anyone have any experience with a Dell refurbished machine? Specifically a "scratch and dent" model?

I'm looking for a laptop for travel, internet, basic word/excel stuff, a little photoshop (why I wanted a gig of memory)..no games, no movie watching...found one that seems like a good deal, but they don't show any pictures or describe the scratches and dents:

$609

Inspiron 6400 / E1505

Inspiron 6400/E1505 Notebook: Intel Core Duo processor T2300 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows XP Home

Memory
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard Disk Drive
60 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scratch & Dent
Scratch & Dent
Base
Inspiron 6400/E1505 Notebook: Intel Core Duo processor T2300 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
Media Bay
24X CD RW/DVD Combo Drive
Network Interface Card
Intel Pro Wireless 3945
NoteBook Screen
15.4 in WXGA Notebook Screen

Any thoughts? I'm very tempted....

DaFace
07-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Anyone have any experience with a Dell refurbished machine? Specifically a "scratch and dent" model?

I'm looking for a laptop for travel, internet, basic word/excel stuff, a little photoshop (why I wanted a gig of memory)..no games, no movie watching...found one that seems like a good deal, but they don't show any pictures or describe the scratches and dents:

Any thoughts? I'm very tempted....

I used to buy and sell Dell's from the Outlet web site. They used to have some INSANE prices on there if you knew how to do it right (laptops for $200, desktops for $100). Alas, Dell got smarter, and now the deals are good, but not awesome.

Anyway, the scratch and dent models are usually a bit of a crap shoot. Most of the ones I got were in near-perfect shape; a few I didn't even know what made them a "scratch and dent" model. Every once in a while, though, you'd get one that was pretty dinged up. If you happen to get one of those and absolutely hate it, you can usually get a Dell rep to authorize a return if you call a couple times.

the Talking Can
07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I used to buy and sell Dell's from the Outlet web site. They used to have some INSANE prices on there if you knew how to do it right (laptops for $200, desktops for $100). Alas, Dell got smarter, and now the deals are good, but not awesome.

Anyway, the scratch and dent models are usually a bit of a crap shoot. Most of the ones I got were in near-perfect shape; a few I didn't even know what made them a "scratch and dent" model. Every once in a while, though, you'd get one that was pretty dinged up. If you happen to get one of those and absolutely hate it, you can usually get a Dell rep to authorize a return if you call a couple times.

no problems with the computers though?

I really don't mind some ugliness as long as it works...

DaFace
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Not in my experience. They're all good as new from a functionality standpoint.

the Talking Can
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
cool...thanks

Over-Head
07-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Just do what I did.
Steal one but then again I am a Ra!der fan :fire:

Simplex3
07-15-2006, 11:17 AM
I've been using a refurb D800 for two years with no problems that the new ones didn't have. The D800 and D600's had issues with screen burn-in, so I'm on my 3rd LCD. I did pay a little more for some extra warranty since it was a refurb.