PDA

View Full Version : Nobody in America cares about soccer

Ultra Peanut
07-13-2006, 06:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblwc2006usamedia&prov=afp&type=lgns

World Cup edges NBA finals in US TV ratings
AFP
July 11, 2006

NEW YORK (AFP) - Sunday's World Cup final in Berlin scored big with US television viewers, with nearly 17 million tuning in for the clash between France and Italy -- topping audiences for the NBA basketball finals.

According to preliminary data released by Nielsen Media Research, 11.9 million people watched live coverage of the final on the ABC network, while another five million chose the Spanish-language broadcast on the Univision channel.

The total represented an increase of more than 150 percent over the 2002 final, which was shown early in the morning, and around 30 percent over the 1998 tournament decider.

In a country where football is still considered something of a minority sport, Sunday's viewing figures compared favourably with those for high-profile US sporting events.

It was four million more than the average audience for last month's NBA finals between the Dallas Mavericks and the Miami Heat and not far away from the average 17.1 million that watched last year's baseball World Series.

However, it was still nowhere near the highlight of the annual US sporting calendar, American football's Super Bowl, which attracted more than 90 million viewers in February.

In other news no one cares about:

Bruce Arena's next job may be with Red Bull New York (http://www.metrofanatic.com/frame/index.jsp?URL=http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/article.php?article_id%3D6482). For the uninitiated, this would be like Herm Edwards leading the Chiefs to three Super Bowls in a row, then leaving for TV, and eventually coming back to coach the Raiders.
Rumors are starting to stir about Clint Dempsey possibly heading to the Premiership.
Amateur side Roma FC, coming off of a win over Brazilian legend Romario's Miami FC of USL-1, knocked a 10-man Chivas USA out of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup on penalties.

WilliamTheIrish
07-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Oh, Henryyyyyyyy

Bootlegged
07-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks. When possible, please let me know if JOB retains his role as President of the Bluth Co.

Jenson71
07-13-2006, 06:10 PM
The younger generation, my generation, play soccer at an early age. A good number of them stick with it through high school. Many of them followed the World Cup. Me, personally, I enjoy the highlights, but would watch it over a basketball game any day.

burt
07-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Just a few more than the 72 quoted on the other thread!!!!

Let's see....72...17,000,000, hhhmmmmmm

The Red Sea
07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
I think Americans Care more about Rosie O Doughnut going to the View than they do Soccer.

She may be the ugliest damn rug eater ever next to Ellen but just the fact the word lesbians used in the same sentance as Doughnut..puts my interest higher than it is for soccer.

But by Damn I've got to admit the Soccer/Chick pics that have been posted are unbelievably HOT!

Ultra Peanut
07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Just a few more than the 72 quoted on the other thread!!!!

Let's see....72...17,000,000, hhhmmmmmmI'm sure all of those 17,000 have funny accents, though.

Like this foreign pansy (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.steele10jul10,0,5923543.column?coll=bal-home-columnists).

Can a 41-year-old American male raised on football, basketball and baseball suddenly learn to love soccer?

Sure, one can. One just did.

One has just spent more time watching soccer in the past month than he had, collectively, in his entire life - and, with no warning and no preparation, suddenly gets what everyone has been talking about. Well, not everything. But the wall definitely is down.

I have crossed over. I like this sport - that's a notch below "I love this game," the slogan of my preferred sport, but I'm willing. I want to see more of it, at the highest level. I want to see where it might go in this country if a truce can somehow be declared and tensions eased between the fanatics and the haters. I may watch a Major League Soccer game. Better yet, I may attend one.

Either there's something wrong with me, or there's finally something right. You all can debate that among yourselves.

See, from everything I've known about "our" games and "their" game up until now, I'm not supposed to add a major sport to my menu at this late a date. From what I've been told, I'm not supposed to be able to understand or appreciate this one - either that, or I'm not supposed to like it - because of where I was born.

recxjake
07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Soccer = Communism

Frazod
07-13-2006, 06:31 PM
That's nice.

Of course, of the 11.9 million viewers who watched the world cup finals, I would imagine about 11.8 million of them would run like hell if somebody yelled "INS, THIS IS A RAID!"

Assuming there was somebody on hand to translate.

burt
07-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Soccer = Communism

Let's make this easy for you....
Soccer > recxjake

Baby Lee
07-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Soccer = Communism
Has a coherent thought EVER passed over your synapse[s]?

burt
07-13-2006, 06:42 PM
That's nice.

Of course, of the 11.9 million viewers who watched the world cup finals, I would imagine about 11.8 million of them would run like hell if somebody yelled "INS, THIS IS A RAID!"

Total bullshit right there, but just yell INS...no translation will be needed.

burt
07-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Has a coherent thought EVER passed over your synapse[s]?

Yes...he likes my new sig.

Ultra Peanut
07-13-2006, 06:44 PM
NFL = CommunismFYP kthxbai

Baby Lee
07-13-2006, 06:47 PM
NBA = Theory of Relativity.

Baby Lee
07-13-2006, 06:48 PM
WWE = Keynesian Economics.

CoMoChief
07-13-2006, 07:10 PM
I read in the KC Star that the meaningless All Star game got more ratings/viewers than the World Cup. I guess thats because baseball is our National Pastime.

Der Flöprer
07-13-2006, 07:14 PM
I read in the KC Star that the meaningless All Star game got more ratings/viewers than the World Cup. I guess thats because baseball is our National Pastime.

Baseball being our National pastime is so passe. Everyone knows football is now.

ChiefsCountry
07-13-2006, 07:17 PM
I guess we know how many illegal aliens we have now.

HemiEd
07-13-2006, 07:23 PM
That's nice.

Similar to what I was thinking. ROFL

Mr. Kotter
07-13-2006, 07:34 PM

ROFLROFLROFL

Ultra Peanut
07-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Very good point, especially when repeated over and over, actually. Few realize that Nielsen's primary sampling market consists almost entirely of illegal immigrants.

Frazod
07-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Very good point, especially when repeated over and over, actually. Few realize that Nielsen's primary sampling market consists almost entirely of illegal immigrants.

God knows you're the expert at repeating things over and over.

But no matter how many times you try to convince us that we should like that boring ass pile of shit otherwise known as soccer, we'll continue to think it SUCKS.

But you get an A for effort.

And as always, an A for agenda pushing.

Sam Hall
07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
I actually found the final to be interesting because it was a close match. There wasn't much else on TV. It would be a lot more interesting if there were more shots on goal and scoring.

Mr. Kotter
07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
God knows you're the expert at repeating things over and over.

But no matter how many times you try to convince us that we should like that boring ass pile of shit otherwise known as soccer, we'll continue to think it SUCKS.

But you get an A for effort.

And as always, an A for agenda pushing.

Damn, Soccerphobes. :harumph:

:p

Bwana
07-13-2006, 08:53 PM

Heh! ROFL

Iowanian
07-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Edit: damnit...late for the illegal count joke.

Bwana
07-13-2006, 08:56 PM

In some areas, you're not far off. I worked for them at one point.

KCinNY
07-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Three things that Europe loves, but America just doesn't go for.

Monarchies, the Metric System and Soccer.