PDA

View Full Version : FOX/Football Outsiders: Larry Johnson is the best back in football

cdcox
07-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Damn straight.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5776936

5. Kansas City
Running back depth charts, it turns out, shake out into two general groups. Some teams have multiple backs, including fullbacks, who are very good at what they do. Sure, the backup isn't as good as the starter (except in Baltimore, more on that in a bit), but compared to his fellow backups he's a valuable, quality player.

Other teams have running back depth charts that look like quarterback depth charts: the starter is so much better than the backups that it would be a disaster if he were injured. The Kansas City Chiefs are kings of the second group. Larry Johnson had the best running back season in the league last year yes, according to DPAR, he was more valuable than Shaun Alexander and he only started nine games. He's young. He doesn't even have two seasons' worth of carries for his career. If this were a simple ranking of running backs, he would be at the top.

But this is a depth chart ranking. Priest Holmes has one foot in the grave, NFL-ogically speaking, and the team's other backups are Dee Brown, Quentin Griffin, and some undrafted rookies. On top of that, standout fullback Tony Richardson left for Minnesota, leaving no one on the roster who has ever started at fullback. Although the Chiefs only run behind fullback 60 percent of the time, the lack of experience at the position is still worrisome. The Chiefs squeak into the top five because they have the best running back in football, and nothing else; if Larry Johnson stays healthy and effective, nobody will notice the lack of depth behind him.

SPchief
07-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Wait, I thought that Lj wasn't one of the elite backs.

cdcox
07-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Wait, I thought that Lj wasn't one of the elite backs.

Let's put it this way: if LJ could only see one of these two articles, I'd show him the ESPN one.

King_Chief_Fan
07-14-2006, 06:13 AM
But M. Hodge says that Rudi Johnson is better:shrug:

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 06:15 AM
It should be fun to see if Rudi is better week 1 :D

headsnap
07-14-2006, 06:23 AM
But M. Hodge says that Rudi Johnson is better:shrug:
Rudi is a FACTOR back!!!!

jidar
07-14-2006, 07:05 AM
hhahha What? Rudi ****ing Johnson. I don't think so.

Chief Henry
07-14-2006, 07:51 AM
So Dick Vermeil could not spell defense and change diapers...go figure

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Larry Johnsons speed power and quickness will reverse the effects of global warming.

StcChief
07-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Without Palmer in Week 1.

Rudi maybe their only deal to stay in the game.

DMAC
07-14-2006, 08:06 AM
I think he sucks.

Did ya hear that Larry?? You suck!!!

Now go prove yourself!!

FringeNC
07-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Is running the ball the only job description of a running back?

If Larry Johnson hasn't improved his blocking skills and has to be removed on 3rd down, there simply is no way to consider him the best back in the league.