PDA

View Full Version : Herm on 38 Sports Spot last night...

Coogs
07-14-2006, 08:14 AM
with Jack Harry. Had the usual question answer session going that we have heard this whole off season including the Ty Law question. Then Herm was asked how many different football players actually had a chance to make the team that were not on the team last season. Herm replied he thinks there will be at least 15 new players on this years roster.

Just found that interesting.

jidar
07-14-2006, 08:14 AM
15 is a decent number. hrm

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Chris Horn, John Welbourne, Todd Collins, Eric Warfield, Dexter McCleon, DeWayne Washington, Jerome Woods, Shawn Barber, Priest Holmes, Kendall Gammon

that's 10 right there assuming Priest & Gammon aren't back

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Chris Horn, John Welbourne, Todd Collins, Eric Warfield, Dexter McCleon, DeWayne Washington, Jerome Woods, Shawn Barber, Priest Holmes, Kendall Gammon

Assuming Welbourne doesn't change his mind rather than pulling out his checkbook as well.

KingPriest2
07-14-2006, 08:37 AM

Gammon is coming back.

Where on earth did you get that idea that he might not?

Cochise
07-14-2006, 08:40 AM
What, are you new here? It's Kenddaal Gammonnssssss

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Gammon is coming back.

Where on earth did you get that idea that he might not?

He's 38 and only played in 10 games last year. It'd be great if we can find a good LS who also contributes in other aspects of the game.

ct
07-14-2006, 09:00 AM

Chris Horn -> Craphonso Thorpe (PS last year)
Marc Boerigter -> Jeff Webb/Jeris McIntire/extra O-lineman?
John Welbourne -> Kyle Turley
Todd Collins -> Brodie Croyle
Eric Warfield -> Lenny Walls
Dexter McCleon -> Alphonso Hodge (PS last year)
DeWayne Washington -> Juliun Battle (IR last year)
Jerome Woods -> Bernie Pollard
Shawn Barber -> Tamba Hali (not same position, just plugging a hole)
Tony Richardson -> Jake Slaughter/FB2/RB4?

Thats 10 definites, here are some other possibilities:

Priest Holmes -> Quentin Griffin (if retires or IR)
John Browning -> Ron Edwards
Junior Siavii/Aaron Dixon -> James Reed
Benny Sapp -> Marcus Maxey, or dare I say...Ty Law
William Bartee -> Jarrad Page
Kevin Sampson/Chris Bober -> Will Svitek (PS last year I believe, not too sure if he weren't on the roster though)
Damon Huard -> Casey Printers

Another 7 possibilities there, some less likely than others.

bobbything
07-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Maybe Benny Sapp should wait until training camp as well, demanding $8 mil a year, before he suits up.

NLU Tailgater
07-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Bob, maybe you should hold out for $8 million a year.

Nick Reid is wearing #57, therefore he will achieve greatness in KC.

KingPriest2
07-14-2006, 09:29 AM
He's 38 and only played in 10 games last year. It'd be great if we can find a good LS who also contributes in other aspects of the game.
There has been no talk of him leaving.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 09:30 AM

That doesn't mean there's no possibility.

Mecca
07-14-2006, 09:31 AM

The Chiefs signed another long snapper in the offseason.......it may be more a Chiefs moving from him than him saying he's leaving.

Woodrow Call
07-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Gammon is a double-edged sword. He is the best snapper in the game but a huge liability on punt coverage. I wouldn't mind seeing a more athletic LS that can contribute down field.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Gammons is a double-edged sword. He is the best snapper in the game but a huge liability on punt coverage. I wouldn't mind seeing a more athletic LS that can contribute down field.

He also can't do anything else. When you can only suit up 48 it'd be nice to have a LS that can contribute even as a backup to an offensive or defensive position.

jspchief
07-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Gammon is coming back.

Where on earth did you get that idea that he might not?We signed him to a 1 year contract in March. That leads me to believe we plan on him being on the roster.

CosmicPal
07-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Chris Horn -> Craphonso Thorpe (PS last year)
Marc Boerigter -> Jeff Webb/Jeris McIntire/extra O-lineman?
John Welbourne -> Kyle Turley
Todd Collins -> Brodie Croyle
Eric Warfield -> Lenny Walls
Dexter McCleon -> Alphonso Hodge (PS last year)
DeWayne Washington -> Juliun Battle (IR last year)
Jerome Woods -> Bernie Pollard
Tony Richardson -> Jake Slaughter/FB2/RB4?

Thats 10 definites, here are some other possibilities:

Priest Holmes -> Quentin Griffin (if retires or IR)
John Browning -> Ron Edwards
William Bartee -> Jarrad Page
Kevin Sampson/Chris Bober -> Will Svitek (PS last year I believe, not too sure if he weren't on the roster though)
Damon Huard -> Casey Printers

Another 7 possibilities there, some less likely than others.

Nice job. :clap:

Chris Horn -> Craphonso Thorpe (PS last year): Although Horn was an experienced player- his contribution wasn't so much that his loss is all that great. Thorpe has greater upside, but obviously needs to be the pro WR we hoped for when drafting him.

Marc Boerigter -> Jeff Webb/Jeris McIntire/extra O-lineman? Same as Horn, but I believed we didn't utilize Boerigter the last couple of seasons as he suggested in an earlier interview. I love the Jeff Webb pick, but is he ready to play in the NFL? With Saunders out as OC, who's to say Boe would've been the Boe of old? Could be a big loss.

John Welbourne -> Kyle Turley- Although Turley obviously has experience and is a better ball-player than Welbourne- Turley has been out of football for awhile. If he can play like he did without missing a beat- it just might make the line even better.

Todd Collins -> Brodie Croyle: The biggest loss here is true NFL experience. I like Croyle's future.

Eric Warfield -> Lenny Walls: Upgrade

Dexter McCleon -> Alphonso Hodge (PS last year): I'll take Hodge's speed and talent over Dexter's experience and lack of size.

DeWayne Washington -> Juliun Battle (IR last year): Good lord, if this guy could just stay healthy then Battle could certainly be an upgrade. Washington however did a fine job in sub situations. Again, losing experience for youth.

Jerome Woods -> Bernie Pollard: Trading a lot of experiencing for raw youth again. Woods was a fine player, but obviously his best days are behind him. Time to pass the torch.

Shawn Barber -> Tamba Hali (not same position, just plugging a hole): It's beginning to sound like a broken record- trading experience for youth. Let's hope Tamba is more than worth his first round selection.

Tony Richardson -> Jake Slaughter/FB2/RB4?: Major loss. Richardson's experience with this system and the fact that he was arguably the best blocking FB in the league will hurt. Kris Wilson might be the FB on some plays, but I think Ronnie Cruz will be the FB and not Slaughter. I like Cruz, but losing Richardson is a bigger blow to the offense than most people would like to think. Remember- LJ doesn't like to block and there was no better blocking back than Tony when it came time to knocking a LB on his azz or protecting the QB. This is one hole that will be hard to fill.

Priest Holmes -> Quentin Griffin (if retires or IR): Major loss again. However, I doubt we would be happy with the RB corp if Priest does retire. I don't think he will. But, if he did- I think the Chiefs would be smart to go get Jonathan Wells or someone in addition to Griffin.

John Browning -> Ron Edwards: I like Edwards- I think this would be an upgrade.

Junior Siavii/Aaron Dixon -> James Reed: Not sure about this. The coaches rave about Dixon's potential and if he shows up this year in camp- he just might win it out.

Benny Sapp -> Marcus Maxey, or dare I say...Ty LawI'd bet the farm to say- Law will be here. Which of course, makes this a major upgrade.

William Bartee -> Jarrad Page: Good lord, even I would be an upgrade over Bartee.

Kevin Sampson/Chris Bober -> Will Svitek (PS last year I believe, not too sure if he weren't on the roster though): I don't agree with this. Solari loves Sampson and I believe Sampson will get the nod over Svitek. Svitek will make the squad and provide a nice back-up, but I don't think he's ready to be an every-down starter until next season.

Damon Huard -> Casey Printers: Upgrade. We'll be losing experience again, but I think I can speak for a lot of peeps in that I wouldn't be disappointed to see Huard gone even if it means putting two young inexperienced guys on the squad.

ct
07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Nice job. :clap:

Tony Richardson -> Jake Slaughter/FB2/RB4?: Major loss. Richardson's experience with this system and the fact that he was arguably the best blocking FB in the league will hurt. Kris Wilson might be the FB on some plays, but I think Ronnie Cruz will be the FB and not Slaughter. I like Cruz, but losing Richardson is a bigger blow to the offense than most people would like to think. Remember- LJ doesn't like to block and there was no better blocking back than Tony when it came time to knocking a LB on his azz or protecting the QB. This is one hole that will be hard to fill.

Kevin Sampson/Chris Bober -> Will Svitek (PS last year I believe, not too sure if he weren't on the roster though): I don't agree with this. Solari loves Sampson and I believe Sampson will get the nod over Svitek. Svitek will make the squad and provide a nice back-up, but I don't think he's ready to be an every-down starter until next season.

I agree Cruz will be our starting FB. These were only names on the roster, not necessarily depth chart. Cruz was on the roster last year, and will be again. This is for what new name will be there, since TRich will not. I'm not at all convinced we carry 2 FBs, as you say Kris Wilson could fill the occasional role there.

So if Svitek makes the roster, whose place does he take? I'm not just talking starters, as I fully expect Turley to be our starting RT.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-14-2006, 12:11 PM
So what did he say about Ty Law?

hehe

CupidStunt
07-14-2006, 12:17 PM

The **** are you smoking?

tk13
07-14-2006, 12:18 PM
I expect Cruz to be the FB, and to surprise some people. He's young and will probably make some mistakes, but he can lay the wood.

And I really don't want to screw with the long snapper. If we replace Gammon he better be good. I can't stand losing games over something as trivial as a bad snap. With Gammon that's just something we don't have to worry about. Those are the little things that people ignore that add up.

ct
07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
The **** are you smoking?

Did you read the topic or my post?

Mojo Rising
07-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Herm was playing golf in Tahoe this morning. Was in Lou Holtz and Dick Jauron's group. Don't know if Law is at the tourney.

Jamie
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
So if Svitek makes the roster, whose place does he take?

His own? They carried him on the roster all year last year.

NJ Chief Fan
07-15-2006, 12:03 AM
whats the deal with robert holcombe? he could possibly be a replacement for trich

Immaculate
07-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Why did Welbourne retire? I had high hopes for him.

keg in kc
07-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Marc Boerigter -> Jeff Webb/Jeris McIntire/extra O-lineman? Same as Horn, but I believed we didn't utilize Boerigter the last couple of seasons as he suggested in an earlier interview. I love the Jeff Webb pick, but is he ready to play in the NFL? With Saunders out as OC, who's to say Boe would've been the Boe of old? Could be a big loss. Boe himself wasn't the "Boe of old". And the "Boe of old" only caught 20 passes that season. He caught 19 combined the last 3.

Sorry. Not a big loss any way you slice it.

Immaculate
07-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Why did Welbourne retire? I had high hopes for him.

??? Anyone??

htismaqe
07-15-2006, 05:30 PM
??? Anyone??

Yeah, he's done.