PDA

View Full Version : Fridays' deep and pondering question

ZepSinger
07-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Would you rather:

1. Have absolutely everything you could ever desire- you could be a billionaire with a bevy of supermodel girlfriends, numerous multi-million dollar homes all over the world, the fame of a rock star, parties, world wide travel in your own Lear jet, whatever and whenever you want it, no limits- for 2 years. However- at the end of this time period, you must die. No exceptions.

Or:

2. Live the remainder of your life- say, 50 years- in utter mediocrity?

Discuss.

Baby Lee
07-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Marty is gone. He coaches the Chargers now. Get over it. :p

Der Flöprer
07-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't need more than what I have. Sure I aspire to it, but it doesn't define me. In that regard I would lean toward 50 more years. I have a lot of learning left to do, and time is more valuable to me than money. Well so long as I have enough of it to survive.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I plan on living more than 50 more years, none of which are mediocre.

Neither.

jidar
07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm doing neither, but if I had to choose I'd take the 50.

jidar
07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
ps, how old are you?
Youd have to be pretty young to think 2 years was long enough for this poll.

ZepSinger
07-14-2006, 11:01 AM
ps, how old are you?
Youd have to be pretty young to think 2 years was long enough for this poll.

I have to admit, it's not my question. I read this in a book and copied it pretty much verbatim...

BTW- I'm 50. Feels young to me.. :)

Z

Gonzo
07-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Sitting in a tree blind hunting deer last year it was 55 degrees with a cool southern wind. I could see for miles and the sun was shining on the foothills in wyoming. I heard a Bull Elk yell his mating call and I saw two mule deer bucks fighting about 500 yds. from me. Looking at all of this, I thought....I make an average wage, I have a great family and I am privaliged enough to enjoy a day like this whenever I please. What more could I want?
Enjoy what you have because it can always be taken from you.

ZepSinger
07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Sitting in a tree blind hunting deer last year it was 55 degrees with a cool southern wind. I could see for miles and the sun was shining on the foothills in wyoming. I heard a Bull Elk yell his mating call and I saw two mule deer bucks fighting about 500 yds. from me. Looking at all of this, I thought....I make an average wage, I have a great family and I am privaliged enough to enjoy a day like this whenever I please. What more could I want?
Enjoy what you have because it can always be taken from you.

:clap: I couldn't agree with you more. Contentment is what you make it. My wife and kids satisfy me FAR more than the 2-year plan could ever hope to.

Z

morphius
07-14-2006, 11:11 AM
:clap: I couldn't agree with you more. Contentment is what you make it. My wife and kids satisfy me FAR more than the 2-year plan could ever hope to.

Z
That was my exact thought as well. I would chose to watch my children grow up over anything else.

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Money isn't the end all.

I'd rather keep my family as comfortable as I can manage, and raise happy kids and be here long enough to enjoy them.

I'll take 40 more bow seasons, thank you.

DaFace
07-14-2006, 11:12 AM
I think that those two years would be largely unfulfilling. Material items and money are fun to have around, but only if they complement the nonmaterial things in your life such as family and friends. So count me in on the mediocre 50 camp as well.

Demonpenz
07-14-2006, 11:22 AM
I plan on spending the rest of my 20's and 30's looking for new ways to sit by a pool or be floating in a tub with a giant margirita by my side

Braincase
07-14-2006, 11:43 AM
If the amount I love and am loved can only be increased by a factor of greater than 25 would I choose the super-rich-playboy lifestyle. As living and loving are infinitely better than not, Infinity>25, so therefore I would have to... and have chosen... mediocrity. :)

Inspector
07-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I've already done more than 50 years of mediocrity.

It's what I'm used to. I better stick with what I know.

Fish
07-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Ohhh yes, I would want to live the rich life.... just like the celebrities...

Because you know that celebrities are always happy... I mean... just look at most celebrity marriages... nothing but pure bliss! And never any depression or substance abuse when you're rich.... no sir.... all that money, you have no reason to want....

Yeah... lucky celebs....

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Ohhh yes, I would want to live the rich life.... just like the celebrities...

Because you know that celebrities are always happy... I mean... just look at most celebrity marriages... nothing but pure bliss! And never any depression or substance abuse when you're rich.... no sir.... all that money, you have no reason to want....

Yeah... lucky celebs....

tempting, isn't it?

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 12:04 PM
It would be awesome to go crazy for 2 years but to be honest I am happy now. Got great friends, family and a ton of love in my life. I just wish I had enough to never have to work again. I could fill my days with activities really easy.

Mr. Laz
07-14-2006, 12:07 PM
i'd be tempted to take the 2 years IF and only IF i could use that 2 years of money,fame etc to make sure my whole family would taken care of for generations to come.

CoMoChief
07-14-2006, 12:11 PM
I'd say I would want to be the billionaire so I could buy the Chiefs out from Lamar Hunt and make them a SB winner on a consistant basis.

Over-Head
07-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Awaiting the arrival of our first child in January,
I’ll take the 50 years :thumb:

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 12:32 PM
I'd say I would want to be the billionaire so I could buy the Chiefs out from Lamar Hunt and make them a SB winner on a consistant basis.

In two years? ROFL

Always a Chief fan
07-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I'll take another 50 years as long as I have my mind, and my health. I have a wonderful wife, three wonderful grown children, and three awsome gransons that I spend time with regularly. What could be more valuable than that?

Hydrae
07-14-2006, 12:53 PM
I would go for the money just because of the travel opportunities it would give me and my family but two years isn't enough. Increase that to 10 years and I would have to think about it.

Otherwise, let me continue in my happy, mediocre ways for the next 40-50 years and I will be completely satisfied.

Mr. Laz
07-14-2006, 01:00 PM
we'll ask you that question again during your next bender.

:)

Rain Man
07-14-2006, 01:01 PM
I assume that "mediocrity" is our current lives, right? (Harumph.)

I would choose my current life for 50 years, because my current life's pretty decent and above mediocre.

el borracho
07-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Two years isn't enough. Make it six and I'll take the money.

Fire Me Boy!
07-14-2006, 01:43 PM
This question would be a lot more intriguing if it were 10 years vs. 50 rather than 2.

With two years -- gotta go with the 50. But as one of the few around here who actually WANT to be famous and live the life (and are more than willing to accept the good with the bad, like paparazzi, public eye, etc.), 10 would really be a question to ponder.

Two years isn't even really a question.

Radar Chief
07-14-2006, 02:08 PM
I assume that "mediocrity" is our current lives, right? (Harumph.)

I would choose my current life for 50 years, because my current life's pretty decent and above mediocre.

I was gonna post something similar ‘cept with a Slick Willy “depends on your meaning of ‘mediocre” twist. ;)

Radar Chief
07-14-2006, 02:12 PM

Congrats. :thumb: I’ve got a, soon to be, 2 year old and just hope I can make it another 30 years, never mind 50.
Actually, I just wanna live long enough to be a burden on his income. ;)

BucEyedPea
07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I'd take the first option...with one change.
I'dhave to look like a supermodel ( Elizabeth Hurley will do) and have the rockstars for myself, only because most musicians have a hard time just staying with one gal for any length of time. (I know this.) ROFL

Wow! Sexist question. :harumph:

Rain Man
07-14-2006, 02:33 PM
This question would be a lot more intriguing if it were 10 years vs. 50 rather than 2.

With two years -- gotta go with the 50. But as one of the few around here who actually WANT to be famous and live the life (and are more than willing to accept the good with the bad, like paparazzi, public eye, etc.), 10 would really be a question to ponder.

Two years isn't even really a question.

I would propose that a majority of the people around here would want to be famous if given the opportunity. I could be wrong, though, and there's only one way to answer it. A poll!