PDA

View Full Version : The Who to tour after nearly 25 years

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 01:46 PM
The Who to tour after nearly 25 years

It's been almost 25 years since the Who blasted their way through a major concert tour, so they should be ready. This fall, they'll give it another go, band members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey announced Thursday.

Opening date will be Sept. 12 in Philadelphia.

The legendary band will then wind its way through the U.S. and Canada before jumping next year to South America, the Far East, Australia and Europe.

North American destinations include New York, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Vancouver and Toronto.

The Who will perform songs from their upcoming album, "Wire and Glass," which will be released Oct. 23. It's the group's first studio recording since 1982's "It's Hard."

"I don't think I've ever looked forward to a tour as much as this one," Townshend said. "Roger and I are both fit and well, ready to rock."

Daltrey said he and Townshend plan to perform "some rarities that we've not played for a long time." They will be joined by keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick, bassist Pino Palladino, drummer Zak Starkey and singer-guitarist Simon Townshend.

Tickets go on sale for the public July 17. Who fan club members can pre-order tickets through Saturday night.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060714/ap_en_mu/music_the_who&printer=1;_ylt=Amah.2xiZ8aV_bMcPRZlGzonHL8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

SWEET!! :)

tomahawk kid
07-14-2006, 01:54 PM
25 years huh?

Be prepared to bend over for the tickets.

MahiMike
07-14-2006, 02:31 PM
awesome. The article's wrong about the time since the last tour however. I remember seeing them in Tampa in '86 or '87. At the most it's been 20 years. But whatever. Sounds great. Hope they keep the ticket prices to double-digit range.

StcChief
07-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Buddy saw them in STL in ~90. Good show.
big fan.

mikey23545
07-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Lock up the little girls...and boys

4th and Long
07-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Lock up the little girls...and boys
Pete Townsend is watching you ... and your children.

Braincase
07-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Who wants to go to the Cincinnatti show?

Saulbadguy
07-14-2006, 03:47 PM
ROFL

Classless. I love it.

StcChief
07-14-2006, 03:48 PM
End of festival seating. bastards.

stevieray
07-14-2006, 04:04 PM
I also saw them in Boulder, Co in 88..

ringo's kid on drums...that's kind of cool.

WilliamTheIrish
07-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Saw them in 75(?) in KC.

One of the best shows I ever saw.

Brock
07-14-2006, 04:06 PM
It's the "Lock up your daughters...and sons" tour.

Moooo
07-14-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm sure this won't cost very much at all...

Although musically it may sound the same, does anyone think the concert will lose some of its coolness without Moon? I know he's been gone for some time now, but still...

I heard one time Moon was having a problem getting onto a plane (like they had to question him or something), so he starts chucking everyone's luggage into the jet engine of it, screaming, "If I can't get on this plane, no one will!!!"

Moooo

StcChief
07-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm sure this won't cost very much at all...

Although musically it may sound the same, does anyone think the concert will lose some of its coolness without Moon? I know he's been gone for some time now, but still...

I heard one time Moon was having a problem getting onto a plane (like they had to question him or something), so he starts chucking everyone's luggage into the jet engine of it, screaming, "If I can't get on this plane, no one will!!!"

Moooo

Moon destroyed drums on a regular occurence by just playing hard.

He was a true wildman....and show man.

16 years or more since last tour here. I couldn't get excited about it.

Nzoner
07-14-2006, 04:25 PM

I saw them in '80 without Moon and it rocked,seeing now that two original members have passed on,I don't know if I'd go again.

Moooo
07-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Moon destroyed drums on a regular occurence by just playing hard.

He was a true wildman....and show man.

16 years or more since last tour here. I couldn't get excited about it.

He also destroyed drums with dynamite once. It caused Pete to have some permanant hearing loss, and also a piece of a cymbal lodged into Moon, which left a scar.

Moooo

Cochise
07-14-2006, 04:26 PM
...does anyone think the concert will lose some of its coolness without Moon? I know he's been gone for some time now, but still...

Not to mention Entwhistle

StcChief
07-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Not to mention Entwhistle

yep. John Entwistle arguably the best Bass player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Entwistle

1/2 the lineup gone cant' be as good.

Adept Havelock
07-14-2006, 04:39 PM
I'd like to see them again. Last time I caught them was August '89, in St. Louis. Hell of a good show.

Sfeihc
07-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Dude, didn't Entwistle die in a hotel room in Vegas before or after a gig a few years ago? That 25 years thing is bunk.

They've played the at the Palace of Auburn Hills(metro Detroit) in the last 10 years.

Halfcan
07-14-2006, 09:39 PM
awesome. The article's wrong about the time since the last tour however. I remember seeing them in Tampa in '86 or '87. At the most it's been 20 years. But whatever. Sounds great. Hope they keep the ticket prices to double-digit range.

I saw them at Arrowhead in 87.

Halfcan
07-14-2006, 09:40 PM
yep. John Entwistle arguably the best Bass player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Entwistle

1/2 the lineup gone cant' be as good.

Behind Geddy Lee-the best EVAR!!!!

htismaqe
07-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Behind Geddy Lee-the best EVAR!!!!

ROFL

thepascalblaze
07-14-2006, 09:50 PM
They have played a bunch in the past 25 yrs. Only thing I can think is that they mean 25 yrs since a true world tour, I know the article says "major" instead of "world" but maye the reporter confused the two.

I once read a story about Moon, while on tour in Europe either with the Dead or crossing paths with them... I guess he and Jerry had adjacent rooms and Moon climbed off the balcony onto the ledge and into Jerry's room and they proceeded to get higher, only Moon forgot his room key.

He was too high to climb back around, and too high and paranoid to go to the desk and get a new key. So, of course he realized the only course of action was to dig through the wall from Jerry's room back into his. It wouldn't have been so expensive to fix if he didn't come into his room via the shower in the bathroom. Rock-n-Roll , indeed.

thepascalblaze
07-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot what I meant to say in the last post...the last time they were gonna play, the tour that was sold out right before Entwistle died, the ticket prices were insane, something like $180 for the cheap seats, $380 down in front...again... rock-n-roll, indeed.

Halfcan
07-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Moon was the craziest fugger in rock, then Jim Morrison, with Ozzy close behind.

Halfcan
07-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot what I meant to say in the last post...the last time they were gonna play, the tour that was sold out right before Entwistle died, the ticket prices were insane, something like $180 for the cheap seats, $380 down in front...again... rock-n-roll, indeed.

At the Hard Rock???

thepascalblaze
07-14-2006, 10:26 PM
No. Not the Hard Rock. This was for a west coast leg being billed like this one. Venues like amphitheatres, Shoreline in the SF bay area, maybe college stadiums too. I think they were about to play someplace in Nevada when Entwistle died. I haven't researhed it, I'm speaking from memory, you know what that's like... I remember the prices because I was considering making the effort to see them, then I heard the prices... tickets went on sale, I don't know if a single show was played, but it wasn't long after I heard about the tickets that he died, a month or two maybe...

Sam Hall
07-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Maybe they're good live, but Who's Next? and Live at Leeds are their only albums that I've ever liked enough to purchase. I bought Live at Leeds because it's a classic and a good one to have.

Guru
07-14-2006, 10:39 PM
25 years huh?

Be prepared to bend over for the tickets.
'

That was my first thought too. I would love to surprise my wife with tickets but I don't want to lose an arm and leg for them. :banghead: :banghead:

They probably won't come near KC anyway.

StcChief
07-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Maybe they're good live, but Who's Next? and Live at Leeds are their only albums that I've ever liked enough to purchase. I bought Live at Leeds because it's a classic and a good one to have.
Excellent LP. I still have the vinyl. considering a torrent replacement.
The loudest concert on record if I recall.....

splatbass
07-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Dude, didn't Entwistle die in a hotel room in Vegas before or after a gig a few years ago? That 25 years thing is bunk.

They've played the at the Palace of Auburn Hills(metro Detroit) in the last 10 years.

The 25 years is BS. They were due to start a tour in 3 days when Entwistle died. They brought in Pino Paladino - a great bass player in his own right but different style than Entwistle - and started the tour on time. I've seen footage of them live with Pino.

Lurch
07-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Who are you?

Wow. Brings back some HS memories. Good stuff.

bringbackmarty
07-15-2006, 10:07 AM
The Who to tour after nearly 25 years

It's been almost 25 years since the Who blasted their way through a major concert tour, so they should be ready. This fall, they'll give it another go, band members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey announced Thursday.

Opening date will be Sept. 12 in Philadelphia.

The legendary band will then wind its way through the U.S. and Canada before jumping next year to South America, the Far East, Australia and Europe.

North American destinations include New York, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Vancouver and Toronto.

The Who will perform songs from their upcoming album, "Wire and Glass," which will be released Oct. 23. It's the group's first studio recording since 1982's "It's Hard."

"I don't think I've ever looked forward to a tour as much as this one," Townshend said. "Roger and I are both fit and well, ready to rock."

Daltrey said he and Townshend plan to perform "some rarities that we've not played for a long time." They will be joined by keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick, bassist Pino Palladino, drummer Zak Starkey and singer-guitarist Simon Townshend.

Tickets go on sale for the public July 17. Who fan club members can pre-order tickets through Saturday night.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060714/ap_en_mu/music_the_who&printer=1;_ylt=Amah.2xiZ8aV_bMcPRZlGzonHL8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

SWEET!! :)

bullshit, I saw them @ arrowhead less than 20 years ago.

Nzoner
07-15-2006, 10:25 AM
"Mama's got a squeezebox she wears on her chest and when daddy comes home he never gets no rest."

Over-Head
07-15-2006, 10:44 AM
"Mama's got a squeezebox she wears on her chest and when daddy comes home he never gets no rest."

Poison did a re-make of that one a few years back :thumb:

thepascalblaze
07-15-2006, 11:35 AM
The pages on this thread seem to have started repeating.

Halfcan
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
The pages on this thread seem to have started repeating.