PDA

View Full Version : So who's going to lose to the South in the Big XII Championship this year? (football)

cmh6476
07-14-2006, 01:54 PM
kansas?

beer bacon
07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Haha. No.

cmh6476
07-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Haha. No.

Iowa State probably has the most complete team, but I dont think their schedule will allow them to take the title.

Nebraska? Colorado? Mizzou? :eek:

Woodrow Call
07-14-2006, 01:59 PM
:mizzou:

:homer:

cmh6476
07-14-2006, 02:04 PM
or we could change this thread up a bit. How about rank the 6 North teams in the order you think they will finish.

I'm just throwing stuff out here, as I honestly don't follow college FB that much, not even the Big XII

1. Kansas (hey, why not?)
2. Iowa State
3. Nebraska
4. Colorado
5. K-State (that's what you get for beating us in BB)
6. Missouri (sorry Tigger fans :( )

Saulbadguy
07-14-2006, 02:34 PM
I'd say Nebraska or Iowa State will win the North. K-State and KU will be the worst.

tyton75
07-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Mizzou or Nebraska will win the north

htismaqe
07-14-2006, 02:40 PM
ISU's schedule is pretty rough. And they lack veteran leadership up front on defense.

They won't win the North.

Nebraska will.

Braincase
07-14-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm predicting a 6 way tie for 1st place, with Oklahoma and Texas both being destroyed by glaciers.

Saulbadguy
07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm just not sold on Nebraska at all, and especially not sold on Zac Taylor.

Moooo
07-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm saying the Huskers take a step in the right direction for reclaiming their former glory and get there. I don't see them winning it, though.

Mizzou I think will have a bit of a identity confusion with Smith gone.

Moooo

htismaqe
07-14-2006, 02:49 PM

1) defense

2) there ain't nobody better in a pathetic division

Saulbadguy
07-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Chase Daniel will be a better QB than Brad Smith. He is more suited to Pinkels offense.

Had Smith played at K-State, he'd have been in the Heisman running. Had he played at NU, Solich would still be around.

Saulbadguy
07-14-2006, 02:52 PM
1) defense

2) there ain't nobody better in a pathetic division
The defense that gave up 40 points to KU? 41 to MU? Even K-State ran the ball down their throats, when they couldn't run on anyone else.

Your 2nd point is valid, though.

sedated
1. KSU - lots of returning players, new offensive strategy
2. ISU - tough schedule, chokers
3. KU - lost too much on D, youth/questions everywhere
4. Colorado - Barnett held that team together
5. Huskers - Bill Callahan, fired at end of year
6. Missou - Gary Pinkel, fired at end of year

but it's a crap-shoot from top to bottom

htismaqe
The defense that gave up 40 points to KU? 41 to MU? Even K-State ran the ball down their throats, when they couldn't run on anyone else.

Their defense will be better this year.

ChiTown
07-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Iowa State probably has the most complete team, but I dont think their schedule will allow them to take the title.

Nebraska? Colorado? Mizzou? :eek:

Actually, that's wrong. ISU has the best offensive unit, but their defense is average at best.

It's an absolute toss-up as to who will win the North. I think 4 of the 6 teams have a shot, with KU and KSU not being one of those 4. KU's offense is horrid, and their D will be lucky to be half as good as last years unit. KSU has too many question marks along the OL, and not enough playmakers....not to mention a new staff.

Best shot - Nebraska. Lot's of momentum with how they finished their season, and lots of returners. Throatslash might just get it done.

Sam Hall
07-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Taylor is respectable, and I think he would look better with an improved offensive line. The line should be a little better this year. I think the key game is at Iowa State. I don't think Iowa State's defense will be good enough to stop Nebraska. I think NU will have some legit playmakers on offense, guys that people outside Nebraska don't know about. ISU's offense kind of scares me.

As far as the CCG, KSU's drubbing of OU taught us that games aren't played on paper. If NU beats Texas at Lincoln in October, than I'll be feeling pretty confident.

htismaqe
07-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Actually, that's wrong. ISU has the best offensive unit, but their defense is average at best.

It's an absolute toss-up as to who will win the North. I think 4 of the 6 teams have a shot, with KU and KSU not being one of those 4. KU's offense is horrid, and their D will be lucky to be half as good as last years unit. KSU has too many question marks along the OL, and not enough playmakers....not to mention a new staff.

Best shot - Nebraska. Lot's of momentum with how they finished their season, and lots of returners. Throatslash might just get it done.

Yeah, ISU is kinda backwards from a typical McCarney team this year.

Meyer and Blythe are a legit combo, maybe the most lethal in the conference. But we'll see how well they can run the ball. Stevie Hicks is a real disappointment, he's never lived up to the hype. Plus he's had injury problems, and so has probably their best 2 backups. And we'll see about the O-line but that's probably been the biggest disappointment of the McCarney era - they've never been able to put one together.

On the defensive side, they're gonna struggle up front. They're used to strength in the middle and with Leaders gone, it's gonna be Curvey basically by himself. Losing Berryman turned out to be a big loss when he was in jail, and they still haven't found anybody to replace him. At LB, they've done alot of shuffling to cover losses. They have experienced guys moving from backup roles to starting roles, but it remains to be seen how consistent they are compared to guys like Dobbins. They have playmakers in the secondary though, so they might be able to generate some turnovers.

Bugeater
07-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Taylor is solid. If there's something to not be sold on, it's our o-line & running game.

Our two best LBs were out at that point last season.

Sam Hall
07-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Taylor is solid. If there's something to not be sold on, it's our o-line & running game.

Our two best LBs were out at that point last season.

Nobody besides us knows about Octavien :) Our linebacking crew was desimated, and we still beat Michigan. The KU game was unexplainable. I'd say we rebounded pretty well against sCUm.

Bugeater
07-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Nobody besides us knows about Octavien :) Our linebacking crew was desimated, and we still beat Michigan. The KU game was unexplainable. I'd say we rebounded pretty well against sCUm.
The KU and MU games are both disturbing to me. It seemed the players quit in those games, similar to what the Raiders did when Callahan was coaching them. I hope that doesn't become his trademark. Nevertheless, it was a strong finish, and we'll need the momentum from it to carry over if we are going to have even a prayer at USC.

Sam Hall
07-14-2006, 09:46 PM
The KU and MU games are both disturbing to me. It seemed the players quit in those games, similar to what the Raiders did when Callahan was coaching them. I hope that doesn't become his trademark. Nevertheless, it was a strong finish, and we'll need the momentum from it to carry over if we are going to have even a prayer at USC.

I'm giving us a 25-30% chance at USC. I know the guy that replaces Bush will be talented, but I think we can stop him. It'll be an inexperienced guy. Give us a better chance if USC's new quarterback struggles. I can't wait for the Jarrett/Bowman matchup. I really think Bowman could be a first round pick. He's only getting started. His INT in the Michigan game was textbook.